Reports from Sidley United's seasons in the Sussex County Football League

Season 2007/08


Hailsham Town 1 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Friday 18th April 2008


Sidley United 0 - 1 Arundel - SCFL Division One -Tuesday 15th April 2008


Westfield 1 - 0 Sidley United - Hastings Senior Cup Final - Wednesday 9th April 2008


Sidley United 2 - 0 Shoreham - SCFL Division One - Saturday 5th April 2008


Sidley United 3 - 2 Rye United - SCFL Division One - Monday 24th March 2008

A 94th minute Steve Morris penalty sealed a dramatic derby win for Sidley United on Easter Monday in the battle of the bottom two.

It was Rye who started the better though as Adam Day blocked a shot from San Edwards on the goalline before Jack Dixon fired the visitors in front on 12 minutes.

Sidley rallied and equalised midway through the half when Jimmy Watson's effort crashed off the crossbar and Steve Morris tapped home from close range. But Rye immediately restored the lead as Dixon's shot as parried and Chris Gould slid the ball home.

Rye almost had a third before the interval as Ian May headed an excellent effort off the line.

After the break, Sidley were the more threatening and went close through Billy Trickett and Micky O'Callaghan. Eventually O'Callaghan got the goal Sidley had been threatening, turning the ball home at the far post after Morris's cross.

And in a frantic finale, Rye's discipline seemed to disappear as Chris Rea was shown a second yellow for hauling down Morris just outside the area before Blues won the stoppage time penalty.

Lewis Parsons was penalised for a foul in the box and was then shown a straight red card for a headbutt on Lee Wood. Morris kept his nerve to seal the win with practically the last kick of the game. 

Sidley United 3 - 2 Worthing United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 15th March 2008

Sidley United moved off the bottom of the table with this come from behind victory over Worthing United.

It was a nightmare start though for the Blues as Gavin Geddes and Gavin Jones out Worthing 2 goals to the good inside 10 minutes. Sidley then lost striker Shae Spreafico to injury but defied the odds to come back to win. 

First Billy Trickett converted a penalty before Jimmy Watson headed Blues level. And then, to Sidley delight, Trickett struck a second half winner and lifted a Blues side off the bottom for the first time in months. 

Sidley United 2 - 0 Pagham - SCFL Division One - Saturday 8th March 2008

Sidley United made it 1 defeat in 5 matches with an excellent win over Pagham on Saturday.

Goals in the final 20 minutes from Steve Morris and Billy Trickett gave the Blues the win against mid-table Pagham.

Sidley remain bottom of the table but have now managed to close to within 2 points of near neighbours Rye United.

Sidley United 0 - 0 East Preston - SCFL Division One - Saturday 1st March 2008


Sidley United 2 - 1 Chichester City - SCFL Division One - Saturday 23rd February 2008


Crowborough Athletic 1 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 19th February 2008

Sidley United were beaten in controversial circumstances on Tuesday to remain deep in relegation trouble.

The Blues defended well in the first half before they began to dominate proceedings early in the second half.

Steve Morris had an effort spectacularly tipped over the bar and from the resulting corner, home defender Danny Baker handled Lee Wood's header. Jimmy Watson turned the ball into the net but rather than award the goal the referee had already blown for the penalty and showed Baker the red card.

However Morris' penalty was saved before Watson headed against the post from another corner.

And Blues were made to pay on 66 minutes as former Blue Wes Tate played the ball across goal for Wayne Clarke to tap home.

Sidley remain 15 points from safety with 8 games to go.

Sidley United 2 - 2 Oakwood - SCFL Division One - Saturday 16th February 2008


Redhill 2 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 9th February 2008


Sidley United 1 - 0 Wick - SCFL Division One - Saturday 2nd February 2008

Sidley United finally arrested their dire run of results thanks in no small part to the return to action of five key players.

Craig Willard's early volley was well saved and Lee Wood headed the resulting corner into the goalkeeper's arms as Sidley started positively.

And after an even battle in the middle of the field, Blues grabbed what turned out to be the winning goal on 40 minutes as Dave Ward headed in after good approach play by Micky O'Callaghan and Jimmy Watson.

The visitors clearly felt that Julian Curnow had hooked Ward's effort off the goal-line but the referee's assistant immediately flagged to award the goal.

Peter Newstead pulled off a good save from Tom Manson to ensure Sidley went in at the break a goal to the good.

Although Wick had more pressure in the second half, they failed to get behind the Sidley back line with Newstead only required to make saves from distance, which he managed comfortably.

And while nerves were understandably were frayed towards the end, the Blues held on to record only their second league win since the opening day.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Ward, Harrison, Ball, L Wood, Poole, Willard, O'Callaghan, Watson, Spreafico, Morris (Buay).

Three Bridges 4 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One -Saturday 26th January 2008

Sidley United took another beating on Saturday as the relegation trap door looms ever nearer.

The Blues' were two down within eight minutes as Bridges struck through Sam Thornback and Nathan Davis.

The visitors grabbed a lifeline somewhat fortuitously on 30 minutes when Steve Morris' cross-cum-shot bounced over the goalkeeper and into the net.

Zac McEnery headed just inches over just before the break and Brad Poole was denied by a good save just afterwards.

But Sidley paid the price for failing to close down Hassan Nyang who struck in the 53rd minute for the home side and Warren Whitely sealed their victory towards the end.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Elliott-Noye, Tudor, Wood, Poole (Sully), McEnery, Trickett, Willard, Morris, Spreafico, Buay (Collier).

Pagham 1 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 12th January 2008

Sidley United finally ended their losing run thanks to Billy Trickett's late penalty but may have come away with all three points.

The Blues travelled to the far side of the county having lost their last 10 league matches but they were up for it against Pagham. 

The first half produced little in the way of goalmouth action but a rare mistake by Peter Newstead allwoed Jamie Angell to fire the home side in front on 24 minutes, the ball slipping through the goalkeepers hand's and Angell nipping in to make no mistake.

Newstead did atone for his error not long after, keeping out an effort destined for the top left corner.

Sidley changed shape at half time and this seemed to have some effect as Spreafico, Trickett and Buay all had reasonable chances before Spreafico won a penalty which Trickett stepped up to slot home.

Buay may have won it late on after he rounded the goalkeeper but he was unable to find the back of the net.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Ball, Wood, Poole, Tudor, Andrews (Sully), Willard, Trickett, Elliott-Noye, Buay (McEnery), Spreafico.

Shoreham 3 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 5th January 2008

A new year has begun, it was the same old story for Sidley United as they showed promising signs but ultimately suffered another defeat.

It was a positive first half from the Blues as Shae Spreafico shot wide from inside the six yard box and Billy Trickett missed the target with a free header while at the other end Peter Newstead made a decent save.

The visitors pace slowed as the rain lashed down and after the interval they were punished by the home side. Neil Kane put Shoreham ahead on 53 minutesm, squeezing the ball home from an acute angle despite the best efforts of Owen Ball on the goal-line.

Dean Smith then beat Newstead with a free header from a free kick needlessly given away on 61 minutes.

Spreafico was causing the home side problems and despite losing Adam Day to a badly swollen ankle, Sidley were still in the game. But any hopes of a comeback were extinguished on 71 minutes in unbelievable circumstances. Newstead had the ball home in his hands and as he went to kick the ball downfield, Owen Callaghan pinched it off his toe and put the ball in the net and referee Darren Eaton allowed the goal to stand.

Despite this, Sidley kept plugging away and got a consolation when Callum Wooller tapped home the rebound from Steve Morris' initial shot.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Ward (Moore), Harrison (May), Wood, Trickett, Ball, Willard, Day (Wooller), O'Callaghan, Spreafico, Morris.

Sidley United 2 - 4 Whitehawk - SCFL Division One - Saturday 29th December 2007

Sidley United ran the league leaders close in a much improved performance following the embarrassment of Boxing Day.

Blues changed formation for this match seeking more defensive solidity, electing to play a 3-5-2 shape. 

Whitehawk went in front with a header from a corner and doubled their lead as Sidley got caught by a ball over the top.

Blues pulled one back when Callum Wooller played a delightful ball into Shae Spreafico, who scored at the second attempt.

And Blues levelled 5 minutes into the second half as Wooller got the final touch to a move involving Owen Ball, Paul Balch, Dave Ward and Spreafico.

Whitehawk retook the lead with a rather softly awarded free kick before Sidley had a big penalty appeal for a foul on Spreafico turned down.

Owen Ball was unfortunate to turn the ball into his own net following an initial save by Saunders as the visitors wrapped up the victory and despite the much improved performance, Sidley again came away empty handed. 

Sidley Team: Saunders, Ward, Ball, Wood, Trickett, O'Callaghan, Willard, Day, Wooller (Moore), Spreafico, Balch (May).

Rye United 7 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Wednesday 26th December 2007


Sidley United 2 - 6 Three Bridges - SCFL Division One - Saturday 22nd December 2007


Arundel 5 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 15th December 2007


East Preston 3 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 1st December 2007


Sidley United 0 - 2 St Francis Rangers - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 27th November 2007


Sidley United 0 - 1 Redhill - SCFL Division One - Saturday 24th November 2007


Selsey 10 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 17th November 2007


Sidley United 3 - 0 Bexhill United - Hastings Senior Cup Semi Final - Wednesday 13th November 2007

A depleted Sidley United made it through to the final of the Hastings Senior Cup after seeing off local rivals Bexhill United.

Bexhill began strongly with Gordon Cuddington making some dynamic runs from midfield. But Sidley gradually got on top and only a last ditch block from Gary Hempe denied Kele Buay from giving Blues the lead.

But Bexhill came strongly in the second half with evergreen striker Peter Heritage denied before Will Dunstall hit the crossbar. But with neither side able to break the deadlock the game moved into extra time.

In extra time, Sidley began to get on top and debutant Ben Barnett headed in Adam Day's corner on 101 minutes. And Sidley doubled their lead just before the end of the first extra period when Lee Wood nodded in another Day corner.

And as the game approached it's dying embers, Steve Morris sealed the win with an excellent third to set up a meeting with Westfield later in the season.

Sidley Team: Newstead, May (Normoyle), Tudor (Andrews), Wood, Trickett, Moore, Day, Funnell, Buay (Sanderson), Bennett,  S Morris.

Eastbourne United Association 2 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 10th November 2007


Sidley United 3 - 3 Ringmer - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 6th November 2007


Wick 5 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 3rd November 2007


Crowborough Athletic 6 - 0 Sidley United - Sussex Senior Cup Second Round - Tuesday 30th October 2007


St Francis Rangers 2 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 27th October 2007


Sidley United 0 - 2 Hassocks - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 23rd October 2007

A second half brace from Anthony Hibbert condemned Sidley United to another home defeat.

The best chance of the first half fell to Steve Morris who headed just wide from a Darren Witham free kick.

It took until the 65th minute for the deadlock to be broken and it was the visitors who went in front when Mickey Turner was hauled down in the area by Brad Poole and Hibbert went Jon Saunders the wrong way from the spot.

Sidley were then reduced to 10 men 5 minutes later as Gavin Ramsden was shown a straight red card for a number of wild hacks at an opponent.

Despite this, Blues pushed another man forward as they sought something out of the game. However they were caught on 76 minutes as Hibbert surged forward and unleashed an effort from 20 yards which flew past Saunders and into the net.

Steve Morris came close to grabbing a consolation goal in stoppage time but Hassocks snuffed him out and went away with all three points.

Sidley United 0 - 5 Crowborough Athletic - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 16th October 2007


Midhurst & Easebourne 2 - 3 Sidley United - Sussex Senior Cup - Saturday 13th October 2007


Crawley Down 3 - 0 Sidley United - John O Hara Cup - Tuesday 9th October 2007


Sidley United 3 - 2 Selsey - SCFL Division One - Saturday 6th October 2007


Sidley United 0 - 3 Eastbourne United Association - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 2nd October 2007


Sidley United 2 - 4 Hailsham Town - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 25th September 2007


Rye United 2 - 1 Sidley United - FA Vase - Saturday 22nd September 2007


Hassocks 4 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 8th September 2007

It was a nightmare afternoon for the Blues who ended the game with 10 men as they were heavily beaten at Hassocks.

Blues rarely got out of their half and it was no surprise when Hassocks went in front on 24 minutes. Phil Gault laid the ball back to Anthony Hibbert whose shot was kicked back to him by Sidley goalkeeper Saunders and Hibbert made no mistake from close range.

Worse was to come as Matt Amos broke free before being hauled down by Owen Ball, leaving the referee no choice but to show Ball the red card.

Amos then added a second on 46 minutes, finishing past Saunders after good work by Spencer Slaughter. Blues best chance came from an Adam Day free kick which was well saved.

Matt Robbins fired home Hassocks' third on 74 minutes from 10 yards before Gault added the fourth on 83 minutes. 

A tough evening for the Blues who will look to respond as soon as possible.

Ringmer 3 - 3 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 4th September 2007


Chichester City 2 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 1st September 2007

Sidley United slipped to another defeat on Saturday, this time away at Chichester.

Blues fell behind after 9 minutes when Jamie Laidlow dispossessed a Sidley defender and fired past Peter Newstead with a thumping finish.

But Sidley levelled on the half hour as Newstead's kick upfield skimmed off a Chichester defender's head and fell invitingly for Steve Morris to steer past the Chichester goalkeeper.

Sidley saw an effort headed off the line in the second half before Chichester grabbed the winning goal on 68 minutes as Warren Hunt turned in a Laidlow cross from the left.

Oakwood 2 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 25th August 2007

Blues are beaten thanks to goals from Gavin Gordon and George Hillier. 

Redhill 3 - 1 Sidley United - FA Cup - Saturday 18th August 2007


Whitehawk 2 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 14th August 2007


Worthing United 1 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 11th August 2007











Sponsor & Advertising

Sidley programme

Click on Matchday programme to see all of our Sponsorship & advertising opportunities for 2015/16Join us on Facebook