Reports from Sidley United's seasons in the Sussex County Football League

Season 2006/07


Whitehawk 7 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Monday 7th May 2007


Redhill 1 - 3 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 5th May 2007


Chichester City 2 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 28th April 2007

Sidley's hectic end of the season continued with a hard fought draw down at Chichester. 

Blues fell behind on 22 minutes as Ian Saunders powered in a header from a corner but Chris Honey levelled when he turned home a cross from the left on the stroke of half time.

Chichester hit the crossbar immediately after the restart and eventually did re-take the lead on the hour mark as Scott Murfin's shot was deflected into his own net by Lewis Parsons.

However Sidley showed great character to emerge with a point as Jack Aaron equalised on 65 minutes, firing through a crowd of legs to ensure Blues returned home with a point. 

Ringmer 1 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Thursday 26th April 2007


Hailsham Town 2 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Monday 23rd April 2007

Sidley United went down to 'bogey' side Hailsham on Monday with a fourth defeat to the Stringers this season.

Hailsham began strongly and had the better opportunities in the opening 10 minutes but after the Blues weathered that storm, they began to create some chances of their own.

Scott McDonald was denied when one-on-one with the goalkeeper while Chris Honey and Owen Ball both went close.

But the game swung with quarter of an hour to go as Alexander's shot was deemed to have crossed the line by the linesman after bouncing down off the crossbar, although the Sidley defence were adamant that it hadn't. 

That goal knocked the stuffing out of Sidley somewhat and Danny Leach made sure of the win 5 minutes later with a spectacular effort past Peter Newstead. 

Sidley United 0 - 1 Hassocks - SCFL Division One - Saturday 21st April 2007


Sidley United 0 - 2 East Preston - SCFL Division One - Wednesday 18th April 2007


Sidley United 1 - 4 Eastbourne Town - SCFL Division One - Monday 16th April 2007

Sidley United suffered from a late Town comeback as the visitors scored four goals in the last 15 minutes. Blues had taken the lead through Scott McDonald on 29 minutes.

Sidley United 2 - 1 Oakwood - SCFL Division One - Saturday 14th April 2007

Sidley United secured safety for another season thanks to a brace of goals from Chris Honey. 

Rye United 0 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Wednesday 11th April 2007

Two second half goals won the Blues the local derby in a match that ended 9 against 10.

Blues appeared up against it as Graham Morris failed failed late fitness test to join fellow absentees Peter Newstead, Peter Baker, Owen Ball, Nick Whiteman, Jimmy Watson, Jordan Wood and Chris Honey.

Although Rye probably had more of the game, Sidley played the better football and almost went in front as Micky O'Callaghan turned the ball past his own goalkeeper but the offside flag denied Blues the lead.

At the other end Marc Gall fired over and Andy Garman was denied by a last ditch block by Lee Wood. 

Sidley took the lead on 52 minutes as Keith Miles' cross was met by a perfect looping header by Mark Funnell.

Ten minutes later home goalkeeper Jon Gardner was sent off for handling Miles' lobbed shot outside of his area before another major flashpoint saw two more refs brandished.

An ugly bout of wrestling between Blues' Miles and Rye's O'Callaghan saw both shown straight reds and both players had to be escorted to the changing rooms as the feud seemed set to continue off the pitch.

With space to play in and a one man advantage, Sidley made sure of the points on 73 minutes as Adam Day headed in Paul Henty's cross.

Sidley United 2 - 3 Wick - SCFL Division One - Monday 9th April 2007


Crowborough Athletic 2 - 1 Sidley United - John O Hara Cup Final - Friday 6th April 2007

A Chris Honey goal after 8 minutes proved a false dawn as Crowborough won the cup with goals from Craig Bishop and Ross Treleaven.

The Blues went into the match as underdogs but took the lead as Honey headed home Scott McDonald's cross.

Crowborough composed themselves and after Newstead had made a good save they levelled in the 29th minute through a towering far post header by Bishop.

Soon after a mistake by Dave Henham let in Treleaven who executed a clinical chip over Newstead to put Crowborough into the lead.

Sidley worked hard to get back into the game and the closest they came was a spectacular overhead kick from McDonald which was tipped over by Rob Gordon.

And as Crowborough celebrated at the final whistle, Sidley were left to concentrate on ensuring they stay away from the relegation zone in the league.

Sidley United 0 - 1 Crowborough Athletic - SCFL Division One - Monday 2nd April 2007


Sidley United 0 - 2 Whitehawk - SCFL Division One - Saturday 31st March 2007

Sidley United suffered a home defeat to title chasing Whitehawk in almost exactly the same manner as the two sides met last year.

There was controversy surrounding the opening goal though as Blues felt that Matt Allen was standing in an offside position but the officials didn't give it and Allen duly converted.

That knocked the stuffing out of the Blues who never really looked like equalising. 

Sidley United 1 - 1 Eastbourne United Association - SCFL Division One - Wednesday 28th March 2007


Sidley United 2 - 0 Littlehampton Town - SCFL Division One - Saturday 24th March 2007


Eastbourne Town 1 - 1 Sidley United (Sidley United win on penalties) - John O Hara Cup Semi Final - Wednesday 21st March 2007

Sidley United progressed to the John O Hara cup final after overcoming Eastbourne Town on penalties. 

The two sides, playing at Hailsham Town's Beaconsfield ground, were well matched with little to choose between the sides throughout. However Town went ahead on 75 minutes with a well worked goal, finished off by Steve Dallaway.

But Sidley kept going and they forced extra time right at the end as Nick Whiteman struck. And after another goalless half an hour, it went to spot kicks.

Peter Baker, Scott McDonald, Steve Morris and Stuart Playford all scored for the Blues while Peter Newstead made two critical saves against a Town side pushing for the title to seal the win and Sidley's first Sussex cup final since 2003.

Arundel 0 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 17th March 2007


Hassocks 6 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 13th March 2007

It was a night to forget for the Blues as they crashed to a heavy defeat to Hassocks, conceding five before half time.

Blues actually made a good start but it started to unravel after just 7 minutes as a Phil Gault shot ricocheted off Dave Henham and past Peter Newstead in the Sidley goal.

A deflected effort from Matt Robins made it 2 before Gault completed a first half hat-trick with a free header and a low finish before Hassocks' 5th arrived through Peter Lear's header which Jordan Wood on the line couldn't keep out.

While the second half saw a better showing from the Blues, the home side completed the scoring on 64 minutes when Anthony Hibbert converted a penalty after a foul by Newstead. 

Sidley United 2 - 4 Redhill - SCFL Division One - Saturday 10th March 2007


Sidley United 1 - 1 Worthing United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 3rd March 2007

Sidley United were left to reflect on a number of missed opportunities as they were held to a draw by Worthing United.

On a pudding of a pitch, Sidley took the lead through leading marksman Peter Baker on 22 minutes as he fired home after good link up play by Graham Morris and Scott McDonald.

Sidley were dominant and Baker, McDonald and Morris were all denied by Sam Figg in the Worthing goal. However at the start of the second half, Sidley's lethargic start allowed Gavin Geddes to head home Worthing's first serious effort.

The equaliser stung the Blues back into action and McDonald was denied no less than five times while Nick Whiteman and Jordan Wood were also denied by the in-form Figg as Sidley had to settle for a point.

East Preston 0 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 17th February 2007


Sidley United 4 - 4 Three Bridges - SCFL Division One - Saturday 10th February 2007

An incredible match at Gullivers as Day and Funnell put Sidley two up. Bridges hit back to score four goals and miss a penalty to go 5 - 2 up. Sidley then draw level with goals from McDonald and Baker.

Sidley United 3 - 2 Pagham (AET) - John O Hara Cup Quarter Final - Saturday 3rd February 2007


Sidley United 1 - 0 Lingfield - John O Hara Cup Third Round - Tuesday 30th January 2007

Sidley United needed a stoppage time goal from Scott McDonald to defeat Second Division Lingfield.

It was in truth a poor performance from the Blues who were lucky not to be behind inside 15 minutes as the visitors twice hit the post.

Blues really only started making opportunities for themselves in the last 20 minutes and they made one count in the first minute of stoppage time as Adam Day's ball in found McDonald unmarked to head home and secure Sidley's passage into the next round.

Selsey 3 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 20th January 2007


Sidley United 4 - 2 Shoreham - SCFL Division One - Saturday 30th December 2006


Sidley United 0 - 2 Rye United - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 26th December 2006

Sidley United endured another disappointing boxing day as local rivals Rye United took the Boxing Day spoils.

Rye appeared more 'up for it' than the hosts and it was no shock when Andy Garman scored after 30 minutes after a strong run into the box before firing high into the net. And Sidley were doubly up against it as Marc Gall headed home on 60 minutes to double the visitors lead.

Sidley put the Rye goal under almost constant pressure but a combination of Rye goalkeeper Jon Gardner and their own poor finishing cost them.

Worthing United 1 - 3 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 16th December 2006


Oakwood 2 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 9th December 2006

Sidley United had two strong penalty appeals turned down as they slipped to defeat at Oakwood in their first game for a month.

Sidley had good opportunities to take hold of the game but both Peter Baker and Scott McDonald couldn't convert their chances.

The home side took the lead on 25 minutes through Liam Hunter's close range finish before Blues claimed a penalty when McDonald appeared to be taken out in the area but the referee was unmoved.

In the second half Lee Butcher doubled Oakwood's lead with an effort from 25 yards which flew in off the post before they themselves were awarded a penalty for a shirt pull in the area which Saunders kept out with a low save.

Blues reduced the arrears soon after when Baker raced through to finish before Sidley had another unsuccessful penalty shout when Dave Henham appeared to receive a chest high block at a corner. 

Sidley almost set up camp in the Oakwood half thereafter but couldn't force the equaliser. 

Croydon 3 - 1 Sidley United - FA Vase - Saturday 18th November 2006

Sidley United went out of the FA Vase after they were comfortably beaten away at Croydon.

After only 8 minutes Ray Freeman burst down the left of the Sidley penalty area. It appeared the danger had been dealt with but Saunders hesitated and Freeman dispossessed him to score easily.

Matt Fowler made it 2 on 22 minutes as he chased a long ball forward and he beat Saunders, who appeared to have mis-judged his angles. And only 5 minutes later Neil John toe-poked home Croydon's third to practically wrap the game up before half time.

Sidley rallied in the second half and pulled a goal back through Peter Baker but a comeback rarely looked likely and was indeed certainly ended when Micky O'Callaghan was sent off for lashing out at an opponent. 

Sidley United 1 - 5 Arundel - SCFL Division One - Saturday 11th November


Eastbourne Town 2 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Wednesday 8th November 2006

Sidley United saw an early second half lead turn into a late defeat at The Saffrons on Wednesday.

Graham Morris had given the Blues the lead from the penalty spot in the 47th minute after a foul by Shaun Brownall.

Liam Baitup snatched an equaliser following a Town free kick before Danny Simmonds netted five minutes from time to seal the win for the home side. 

Sidley United 1 - 1 Ringmer - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 31st October 2006

Sidley United recovered from a horror first half to claim a draw on Halloween night.

Ringmer started impressively and led through Dan Evans' long range strike on 14 minutes and they could have added more in a dominant first half.

Scott McDonald equalised on 85 minutes, sweeping the ball home from 12 yards after good work down the right by Steve Morris.

Sidley United 1 - 1 Selsey - SCFL Division One - Saturday 28th October 2006

Sidley United had to overcome a number of first half injuries to claim a late draw thanks to Steve Morris.

Goalkeeper Peter Newstead as well as outfield players Owen Ball and Keith Miles all had to be replaced before the half time whistle after picking up knocks.

The changes meant that the Blues never really got into any kind of rhythm and it looked like they were going to slip to a defeat when Daren Pearce stabbed home with only 5 minutes remaining.

But Sidley managed to claim a draw with 2 minutes to go as Morris converted a perfectly placed header from Stuart Weston's dink into the area.

Three Bridges 1 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 21st October 2006

Sidley scored with Scott McDonald but Russell Mortimer netted for the hosts. 

Sidley United 2 - 0 Chichester City - SCFL Division One - Saturday 14th October 2006


Sidley United 0 - 5 Hailsham Town - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 10th October 2006

Blues suffered a home horror show as Danny Leach bagged a hat-trick as Hailsham cruised to a win.

Sidley United 3 - 2 Arundel - FA Vase - Saturday 7th October 2006

Goals from Nick Whiteman, Peter Baker and Steve Morris.

Sidley United 2 - 0 East Preston - SCFA RUR Cup Second Round - Tuesday 3rd October 2006

A goal in each half saw Sidley United through to the third round of the SCFA cup with an impressive win over East Preston.

Steve Morris grabbed the first with a superb header from almost the edge of the penalty area, powering in Owen Ball's free kick.

But Peter Baker outdid him in the second half when from 30 yards out wide on the right he beat the goalkeeper who was only slightly off his line to double Blues' lead.

Hassocks 0 - 1 Sidley United - John O Hara Cup - Wednesday 27th September 2006

A terrific Peter Baker strike puts Sidley through to the next round.

Westfield (Surrey) 0 - 3 Sidley United - Saturday 23rd September 2006

Blues through to the next round of this cup with goals from Graham Morris, Steve Morris and Peter Baker.

Littlehampton Town 0 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 9th September 2006


Hailsham Town 3 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 5th September 2006

Hailsham goals from Leach in the first half and 2 from Cooper in the second in a convincing win for Hailsham.

Sidley United 0 - 1 Worthing - FA Cup - Sunday 3rd September 2006


Crowborough Athletic 2 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Monday 28th August 2006


Shoreham 5 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 26th August 2006


Lymington Town 0 - 4 Sidley United - FA Cup - Sunday 20th August 2006

Peter Baker hits one and Spreafico scores a hat-trick as Blues progress in the FA Cup.

Eastbourne United Association 0 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 15th August 2006

Dominic Clarke's strike 5 minutes from time wins the game as Blues make it 2 wins from 2.

Wick 1 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 12th August 2006

Sidley United claimed an opening day win thanks to goals from Lee Wood and Shae Spreafico.










Sponsor & Advertising

Sidley programme

Click on Matchday programme to see all of our Sponsorship & advertising opportunities for 2015/16Join us on Facebook