Reports from Sidley United's seasons in the Sussex County Football League

Season 2005/06


Southwick 1 - 3 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 29th April 2006


Redhill 4 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 22nd April 2006


Rye & Iden United 0 - 0A Sidley United - SCFL Divison One - Monday 17th April 2006

Match not played as Rye & Iden United unable to field a side. Walkover win for Sidley United.

Worthing United 2 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 15th April 2006


Sidley United 0 - 1 Littlehampton Town - SCFL Division One - Saturday 8th April 2006


Whitehawk 1 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 4th April 2006


Sidley United 2 - 0 Three Bridges - SCFL Division One - Saturday 1st April 2006


Sidley United 3 - 1 East Preston - SCFL Division One - Saturday 25th March 2006

Sidley United bounced back from a poor result at Crowborough with an excellent win at home to East Preston.

However Blues were indebted to goalkeeper Peter Newstead who brilliantly saved a first minute penalty from Josh Biggs. Biggs had beaten Newstead from the spot in the opening game of the season but Newstead came out on top this time, diving low to his left to keep the East Preston forward at bay.

Sidley soon got on top and the impressive Simon Corke put them in front on 18 minutes as he finished off a fine move involving Jimmy Watson and Peter Baker.

Blues went in 2 up at the break as Dave Carey pressurised defender Chris Yelling into slicing the ball into his own net.

The visitors were gifted a lifeline 30 seconds into the second half when Newstead allowed Paul Brown's corner to slither through his hands and trickle over the goalline.

But Blues wrapped up the win when Carey latched onto Corke's through ball and finished past visiting goalkeeper Simon Davey with 7 minutes to go.

Sidley Team: Newstead, G Morris, L Wood, Steward (Henty), J Wood, Willard, Watson, Corke, Ward (Miller), Carey, Baker.

Crowborough Athletic 7 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 21st March 2006


Sidley United 2 - 1 Shoreham - SCFL Divison One - Saturday 18th March 2006


Sidley United 1 - 0 Redhill - SCFL Division One - Saturday 11th March 2006


Sidley United 1 - 1 Horsham YMCA - SCFL Division One - Saturday 4th March 2006


Sidley United 1 - 4 Eastbourne Town - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 28th February 2006


Shoreham 2 - 3 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 25th February 2006


Sidley United 4 - 0 Ringmer - SCFL Division One - Saturday 18th February 2006

A stunning four goal salvo from Peter Baker downed the league leaders in torrential conditions.

Incredibly, despite pools of water building on the pitch, the referee deemed the game playable and Sidley coped far better with the abysmal conditions.

Baker, Jordan and Lee Wood had all gone close before Baker opened the scoring on 30 minutes, stopping to head home Jimmy Watson's cross.

Ringmer players looked exasperated as they and the management team repeatedly questioned the referee's continuation of the game into the second half.

Ringmer's Julian Curnow was brought down on the edge of the penalty area and a melee ensued as a Sidley defender made off with the ball, chased by an angry Micky O'Callaghan. After all had calmed down the referee appeared to forget where the foul took place and moved the free kick some 10 yards back much to the visitors annoyance. 

Ringmer had more of the play in the second period but it was Blues who struck again as a cross from the left found Baker who finished from close range.

The visitors pressed forward in an attempt to get back into the game but in doing so left themselves short and allowed Baker to complete his hat-trick with a delightful 25 yard chip before he grabbed his fourth with an accurate header at the far post.

Ringmer came closest right at the death as O'Callaghan had an effort tipped over the crossbar but Sidley not only secured a fabulous win but also an impressive clean sheet to go with it.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Whiteman (K Rose), Willard, Ball, L Wood, J Wood, Watson, Ward, Carey, Baker, S Morris. 

Sidley United 4 - 0 Eastbourne United Association - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 14th February 2006

A scintillating second half performance saw Sidley United move out of the drop zone in style.

There was little forewarning of a Sidley goal spree though in a largely forgettable first half.

Peter Newstead had some early saves to make including a double save from former Blues forward Scott McDonald on 18 minutes.

But a tactical switch towards the end of the half transformed Sidley's fortunes. Jordan Wood cut inside and unleashed a 25 yard effort which crashed into the net off the underside of the bar in the opening moments of the second half.

Sidley doubled their lead 7 minutes later as a neat through ball allowed Carey to tuck his finish under the on-rushing goalkeeper. On 74 minutes Carey crossed for Steve Morris to finish first time which the Eastbourne goalkeeper could only palm into the net.

Blues wrapped up the game right at the end as Carey again duped the Eastbourne defence and crossed for Jimmy Watson to head in off the post.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Whiteman, Willard, Ball, L Wood, J Wood, Watson, Ward (Miller), Carey, Miles, S Morris (Weston).

Hassocks 6 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 11th February 2006

It was another poor performance from Sidley United on the road as they slumped to a defeat at Hassocks.

The Blues fell behind after just 3 minutes when Pat Harding dispatched a looping shot half volley past Peter Newstead. Harding then grabbed his second when he raced through to score 8 minutes later before Richard Thomas headed home via the underside of the bar after just 25 minutes.

Sidley looked like they had grabbed a lifeline on 37 minutes when Peter Baker turned and fired in after collecting a pass from Steve Morris but Harding restored the home side's three goal advantage less than a minute later to complete his treble.

Graham Beveridge made it 5 - 1 on 65 minutes and although Dave Carey pulled one back with a delicate lobbed finish, Thomas completed the scoring on 72 minutes to put the seal on a bad night for the Blues as Peter Baker also saw a penalty saved.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Whiteman, Hole (L Wood), Ball, K Rose, Miller (Corke), Willard, Ward, Carey, Baker, S Morris (S Rose).

Sidley United 2 - 0 Chichester City United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 4th February 2006

Sidley United climbed out of the relegation zone with an impressive win thanks to goals from Peter Baker and Graham Morris.

Things didn't start too brightly for the Blues though as they conceded a series of free kicks in dangerous positions but the defence and goalkeeper Peter Newstead stood firm.

Once Sidley found their feet they gradually took command with Dave Ward and Jordan Wood failing to make the most of decent openings. Keith Miles almost scored with a flying header on 37 minutes but the ball cannoned against the post and away to safety.

Sidley did make the breakthrough though in first half stoppage time as Peter Baker took advantage of a ricochet to execute a delightful chip over Chichester goalkeeper Gary Smart.

Baker nearly claimed his second with a cheeky free kick which deceived Smart but his effort came back off the base of the post. But Sidley weren't to be denied a second goal and it came from a corner in the 77th minute when Graham Morris headed home Peter Baker's delivery.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Whiteman, G Morris, Ball, Rose, Lister, Watson, Ward, Wood (Miller), Miles (Carey), Baker.

Sidley United 1 - 2 Westfield - Hastings FA Senior Cup - Tuesday 31st January 2006

Sidley United's dreadful run of form sunk to a new low as they were beaten by a patched up team from a lower division who were missing five regular starters.

Westfield had the better of the opening exchanges with Terry Payne bringing a fine save out of Peter Newstead.

Keith Miles blazed over for Sidley before he gave the Blues the lead, prodding home from a corner. Westfield goalkeeper Gavin Bourne then denied a clean through Dave Carey and Westfield soon got themselves level.

Danny Pepper ghosted past Owen Ball and slipped the ball into the corner of Newstead's net on 32 minutes. And Westfield struck again 4 minutes later when Ball missed a long kick forward by Bourne and Payne nipped in to stroke home.

Sidley did most of the pressing in the second half but were mainly restricted to efforts from distance although Dave Ward did have an effort cleared off the line. 

A very poor result for the Blues who must really pick up and quickly if they are to arrest their alarming run of form.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Whiteman, G Morris, Ball, Rose, Miller (Lister), Ward, Watson, J Wood, Miles, Carey.

Arundel 2 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 28th January 2006

A change of management couldn't bring about a change in fortune as Sidley suffered their 10th defeat in 11 away league games.

Fourth places Arundel took the lead after 17 minutes when Matt Huckett converted a penalty given for handball.

They had a good shout for a second penalty as a shot appeared to be blocked on the line but the referee waved play on.

Arundel did double their lead on 67 minutes as a shot by Jimmy Smith looked to be going wide, only to nestle in the back of Peter Newstead's goal.

Sidley pushed Rose up from the back to play as a third striker and halved the deficit almost immediately as a good move found Dave Ward who crossed for Rose to head home from 12 yards.

Armed with fresh hope Sidley came close to levelling through Ward's half volley before Baker's late free kick went just wide.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Whiteman, Ball, G Morris, Rose, Miller (Lister), J Wood (S Rose), Ward, Baker, Miles, Carey.

Wick 3 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 21st January 2006

Boss Liam Barham resigned after Sidley were beaten away at Wick and dropped back into the bottom three.

The terrible start for the Blues began when Darren Annis converted after Sidley were cut to ribbons down their left hand side. Their plight was significantly worsened when Owen Ball was shown a straight red card in the 11th minute for foul and abusive language after conceding a free kick. 

Wick doubled their advantage in the 20th minute as Annis squared for Danny Curd to complete a flowing move.

But Sidley won a 43rd minute penalty for handball which Peter Baker converted to give Blues a lifeline.

And Baker hauled Sidley level with a spectacular free kick into the top corner on 73 minutes as Blues looked like getting a valuable away point.

Sidley had a great chance to claim an unlikely win as Dave Ward missed an open goal and they were made to pay for that miss as Tom Manton guided home an 81st minute winner.

Boss Barham resigned in the aftermath of the match after which Keith Miles and Andy Laskey were promoted to joint managers.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Whiteman, G Morris, Ball, Rose, Miller (Carey), Ward, J Wood, Baker, Miles, S Morris (Barham).

Sidley United 6 - 1 Southwick - SCFL Division One - Saturday 14th January 2006

Sidley United moved out of the relegation zone with a comprehensive win at home to bottom of the table Southwick.

Blues took the lead after 11 minutes as Dave Ward took advantage of a defensive mistake to drive an angled shot into the far corner of the net.

Visiting goalkeeper Piers Walsh appeared nervy all game as he first nearly fumbled a Jimmy Watson cross into his own net before some hesitancy allowed Peter Baker to nip in and roll the ball into the empty net from a tight angle.

Baker then nodded home Steve Morris' cross before Keith Miles headed in the Blues fourth goal on 34 minutes.

7 minutes into the second half Dave Ward headed his second goal before Southwick pulled a goal back through Neil Harris' deflected shot.

But Miles grabbed his second goal with the best of the night, volleying home from the edge of the penalty area with 20 minutes remaining before missing a sitter which would have completed his hat-trick late on.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Whiteman, G Morris, Rose (Steward), Ball, Miller (Carey), Ward, Watson (C Morris), Baker, Miles, S Morris.

Whitehawk 1 - 0 Sidley United - John O Hara Cup - Saturday 7th January 2006

Sidley United produced a good performance but ultimately succumbed to a late goal to exit the John O Hara cup.

Chances were limited at both ends and although the Blues didn't create much going forward they did manage to nullify Whitehawk for the most part.

The Blues best chance came with around 15 minutes to go as Graham Morris and Dave Ward had efforts cleared off the line.

But the goal that did the damage came via Wayne Chart's half volley from the edge of the penalty area after Whitehawk had got in down Sidley's right hand side.

A better overall performance but Blues will need to improve their performance levels if they are to pick up more positive results.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Henty, G Morris, Rose, Ball, S Morris, Ward (Hole), Watson, J Wood, Baker, Miles.

Sidley United 0 - 1 Hailsham Town - SCFL Division One - Monday 2nd January 2006

Sidley United slipped into the bottom three after losing the Bank Holiday Monday match to neighbours Hailsham.

The visitors began better, retaining the ball better and generally looking the more likely to make the breakthrough. They came close through Paul Richardson who had a couple of efforts from corners blocked on the goalline.

Sidley gradually came back into the match though and Peter Baker brought a smart save out of visiting goalkeepers Russell Tanner.  

But Hailsham ended the half the stronger and they took the lead on 39 minutes as Simon Stephens placed a sublime shot into the top corner from just inside the penalty area.

In the second half Sidley never really looked like getting the goal back and infact Hailsham went close when Liam Baitup clipped the top of the crossbar.

They had a great chance to wrap up the game as a late penalty was awarded when Peter Newstead clipped Baitup in the area but Richardson struck the inside of the post instead of the back of the net.

However it didn't cost Hailsham as Sidley were unable to grab an equaliser.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Hole, Ward, G Morris, Steward, Ball, Rose, J Wood, Baker (Miles), Carey, S Morris (Thompson).

Sidley United 5 - 3 Rye & Iden United - SCFL Division One - Monday 26th December 2005

Sidley United hit five goals before half time as they picked up a first league win for three months.

In an assertive display, Kevin Rose headed home Peter Baker's corner midway through the first half to give Blues the lead. And just four minutes later an excellently placed looping header from Dave Carey doubles Blues' lead.

However Sidley gifted Rye a way back into the game on 33 minutes as a mix up between Nick Whiteman and Peter Newstead allowed Rye's Nathan Harding to tap into an empty net. 

Newstead made amends minutes later as his long kick forward played Baker in and he headed over on-rushing goalkeeper Harry Killick to put Sidley 3 - 1 up.

Baker then notched his 17th of the season in the 44th minute with a trademark quickly taken free kick before he delivered another corner for Rose to power home in first half stoppage time.

Unsurprisingly some of the intensity was missing in the second half for Sidley although Killick still had to make impressive saves from Baker and Paul Henty. 

Colin Johnstone pulled one back on 68 minutes for Rye with a 25 yard screamer before some sloppy play by Newdtead saw Johnstone grab a third in stoppage time. Although the gloss may have been slightly taken off the scoreline, the important thing for the Blues was to return to winning ways.

Sidley United 0 - 3 Wick - SCFL Division One - Saturday 17th December 2005


Chichester City United 4 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 3rd December 2005


Wick 2 - 2 Sidley United (Wick win 4 - 2 on pens) - SCFA RUR Cup - Saturday 26th November 2005

Sidley United endured an afternoon to forget as they were beaten on penalties in the SCFA cup before coming off to discover their dressing room had been broken into and possessions stolen.

Blues went behind on 38 minutes as Owen Ball turned the ball past Newstead under pressure following a corner which the Blues goalkeeper chose not to come and claim but they drew level 3 minutes later as Dave Ward struck. 

Sidley then went in front on 56 minutes as Peter Baker converted a penalty given for handball. Wick restored parity as Mike Duffell took advantage of some hesitancy among the Sidley defence to drive home a ball over the top. Wick had the chance to win the game in normal time with a late penalty but it was skewed well wide.

However with extra time something of a non event the match went to penalties. And although Newstead saved one, misses by Baker and Ball meant the home side progressed. Worst hit by the changing room break in was manager Liam Barham who had his car keys stolen while a number of players lost small amounts of cash and watches.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Lister (Wooller), Harrison (Clarke), Ball, G Morris, Steward, Barham, Miles, Ward, S Morris (J Wood), Baker.

Horsham YMCA 5 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 12th November 2005


Sidley United 0 - 2 Whitehawk - SCFL Division One - Saturday 22nd October 2005


Littlehampton Town 4 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 15th October 2005


Hailsham Town 2 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 11th October 2005

It was a poor performance to match the result as Sidley slipped to defeat to 10 man Hailsham.

Blues were behind as early as the second minute when a weak clearance by Callum Wooller went straight to Stuart Lewis who left Peter Newstead transfixed with a 25 yard volley.

The home side doubled their lead when Sidley gave the ball away and Peter Cooper cut inside Graham Morris and slotted past Newstead.

In first half stoppage time Hailsham goalkeeper Russell Tanner was shown a straight red for bringing down Joe McCarthy outside the area and Hailsham midfielder Paul Richardson took over the gloves for the rest of the match.

And Richardson made impressive stops from Chas Lister and Keith Miles as Sidley struggled to make headway against the hosts.

It took until the 88th minute as Peter Baker's free kick was tipped onto the post and Keith Miles turned home the rebound.

And although they nearly snatched an equaliser deep into stoppage time, it would have been scarcely deserved and Sidley will need to dramatically improve their performance levels if they are to return to winning ways.

Three Bridges 3 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 8th October 2005


Eastbourne United Association 0 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 27th September 2005


Sidley United 3 - 2 Worthing United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 24th September 2005


Sidley United 2 - 2 Crowborough Athletic - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 20th September 2005


Sidley United 4 - 2 Hassocks - SCFL Division One - Saturday 17th September 2005

Sidley United picked up an impressive win on Saturday.

It was a pretty even start until Blues took the lead on 14 minutes as Peter Baker's cross was headed home by Kevin Rose from close range.

Rose then had a great chance to grab a second before Hassocks had a strong penalty appeal for handball by Callum Wooler waved away.

Sidley then won a penalty on 51 minutes when Rose was tripped in the area and Baker confidently slotted home the penalty. 

Sidley went three up in almost identical circumstances as Rose was again brought down in the area and Baker sent the goalkeeper the wrong way from 12 yards.

Hassocks pulled a goal back on 69 minutes as a corner ricocheted off Matt Simpson and into the Sidley net. But Joe McCarthy headed home Liam Barham's cross at the back post to re-establish the Blues three goal lead.

Pat Harding reduced the arrears again as he rounded Newstead and scored from the tightest of angles. But it was Sidley's day and they saw out the game to take home the points.

Eastbourne Town 5 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Wednesday 14th September 2005

Liam Barham slammed his Blues side as a promising 2 - 1 lead turned into a heavy defeat as a nervy defence capitulated at will in the second half.

Blues took the lead after 8 minutes as Dominic Clarke was fouled in the area and Peter Baker rolled home the penalty. Eastbourne hit back though when Gary Brockwell headed home two minutes later.

Sidley retook the lead on 24 minutes as Dan Woods wriggled through a couple of challenges and fired in a shot which took a heavy deflection off Town defender Luke Denton on it's way into the net.

Again the home side levelled when a free kick was headed across goal with the final touch appearing to come from Kevin Rose. And Town then took the lead just before the interval as the Blues defence failed to deal with a low ball in and Danny Andrews fired home at the far post.

The second half was one way traffic with Greg Thurstans denying Steve Dallaway and Mark Goodwin to keep Sidley in the game. However Peter Baker did miss a great opportunity but his lobbed effort was just too high.

And in the last 10 minutes Goodwin made sure of the points with a fine individual effort before Andrews headed in a fifth after Thurstans spilled a high ball.

Sidley United 2 - 0 Arundel - SCFL Division One - Saturday 10th September 2005


Ringmer 3 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 16th August 2005


East Preston 2 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 13th August 2005

Sidley United were beaten on the opening day of the season thanks to a late penalty at East Preston. 

The Blues began brightly and Kevin Rose should have done better with a header from an Adam Day corner before Steve Morris also went close. 

The home side had offered little but went ahead on 18 minutes as the talented Matt Axell finished off a quick break with a rising drive that gave Newstead no chance. 

Sidley levelled on 56 minutes when Peter Baker executed a quick free kick while the East Preston goalkeeper was just organising his wall.

But Blues began retreating and paid the price as Paul Henty was adjuged to have fouled a home forward in the area on 81 minutes and Josh Biggs stepped up to convert the resulting spot kick.

A disappointing start to the season for the Blues who travel to Ringmer on Tuesday night.



Sponsor & Advertising

Sidley programme

Click on Matchday programme to see all of our Sponsorship & advertising opportunities for 2015/16Join us on Facebook