Latest News

Sidley safe after final home win

(April 18, 2013)

Matt Darby 2012

Sidley United 2 - 1 Shoreham - SCFL Division One - Thursday 18th April 2013

Sidley United almost ensured Division One football next season with 3 points on Thursday night as they saw off relegation threatened Shoreham 2 - 1.

Bright and lively from the start, led by the excellent Matt Darby, Sidley were on the front foot from the off and were unlucky not to be 2 up within a few minutes but efforts from Darby and Pogue were both wide of the mark.

Sidley took the lead in comical fashion as a long ball forward from Cruikshank was left by Pogue and Payne, both in offside positions as well as the entire Shoreham defence. Matt Darby was alert and chased it down and as the goalkeeper came out to the edge of his area to clear, he missed his kick allowing Darby to walk the ball into the net.

Sidley doubled their lead on 27 minutes when another ball over the top saw both Pogue and Payne away down the left and Payne unselfishly squared for Pogue to tap home. However in typical Sidley fashion, they gave away a soft goal on 44 minutes, a free header from a corner which was Shoreham's first effort on goal.

It was a totally different game in the second half as Sidley suddenly lost their rhythm, not playing with the same tempo and dropping deep. Shoreham had the majority of the play, and even had the ball in the net direct from a corner but the referee adjuged that Nessling was fouled as the ball came in.

Despite the pressure. Sidley had their moments and Kenny Pogue almost scored a Van Basten style volley but the goalkeeper parried it over. Sidley held on though to secure 3 big points and Division One safety.

Sidley Team: Nessling, Willett, Hales, Cooper, Cruikshank, Agutter, Martin, Boyd (Rea), M Darby, Pogue, Payne (Rose).

Click here to return to the News page

Sponsor & Advertising

Sidley Team 2022/23

Click on Matchday programme to see all of our Sponsorship & advertising opportunities for 2023/24Join us on Facebook