Jarvis Brook 1 - 2 Sidley United - Sussex FA Intermediate Cup Final - Wednesday 27th April 2022

Sidley United clinched the Sussex FA Intermediate Cup final to complete a magnificent league and cup double.

Before kick off the Blues were presented with the Mid Sussex Premier Division trophy which they won earlier this month. However perhaps it didn't have the galvanising effect the Blues may have wished for as Jarvis Brook had the better of the opening 25 minutes.

A smart low diving save by Dan Hutchins denied Brooks' Liam Edwards who had found himself unmarked by the penalty spot before Blues finally began to wake up with Lee Carey unleashing a dipping effort which flew just wide.

But it was still against the run of play when Sidley took the lead as the ball fell to Charlie Cornford on the left hand side of the penalty area and he turned his man and fired a low shot underneath the Jarvis Brook goalkeeper and into the net on 36 minutes.

Whilst they may have been fortunate to be ahead at the break, there was no doubting the Blues' quality for the second goal. Josh Elliott-Noye worked tirelessly to win the ball back on the left hand side and get a cross into the area which was controlled and smashed home by Paul Rogers on 56 minutes to give Sidley a cushion.

Jarvis Brook's finishing had been wayward when they had got into good areas but they got back into the game with a slice of luck as a free kick from Edwards on the left floated over everyone, including Hutchins, to nestle in the net on 69 minutes and bring the contest back to life.

Both sides struck the post as the game opened up as Carey's strike from distance came back off the woodwork on 82 minutes while Edwards responded for Brook with a low strike towards the near post as the game entered six minutes of stoppage time.

Rogers may have sealed it when he had a glorious chance to roll the ball home one on one but steered his effort wide. However, the miss proved immaterial as the referee blew the whistle and Sidley clinched the Sussex FA Intermediate Cup for the second time in club history. 

Following the game manager John Carey resigned from his position as first team manager, ending a 5 year spell in charge of the Blues.

Sidley Team: Hutchins, Featherstone, McEniry, Hickman-Smith, Walker (Cumming-Bart), Elliott-Noye, Carey, Ellis, Cornford (S Crabb), Capon (N Crabb), Rogers.

Sidley United vs Willingdon Athletic - MSFL Premier Division - Saturday 23rd April 2022

Match not played as Sidley United were unable to field a team. Walkover win for Willindon Athletic.

Hollington United 0 - 5 Sidley United - MSFL Premier Division - Monday 18th April 2022

The new MSFL Premier Division champions enjoyed a Bank Holiday victory at dethroned local neighbours Hollington United.

The first half was a scrappy affair as both teams found themselves battling the pitch as much as each other. A number of stoppages for injuries broke up the rhythm of the game but Sidley broke through on the stroke of half time, although in somewhat contentious circumstances.

The referee awarded Sidley a throw in on the halfway line despite it almost certainly seeming to have come off a Blues player last. Charlie Cornford took the long throw which was met by Tyler Capon to give the Blues a half time lead.

The second half was an altogether more comfortable affair for Sidley as Cornford scored directly from a corner on 48 minutes to double the lead before Danny Ellis' long range strike bounced up and over the Hollington goalkeeper and into the net.

The young Hollington side showed plenty of endeavour, forcing Sidley to show the defensive side of their game. But the Blues made it 4 - 0 when another pinpoint Cornford long throw was back headed into the net by Steve Hickman-Smith on 74 minutes. 

Paul Rogers had a goal chalked off for offside but just moments later he did get on the scoresheet to put some gloss on the scoreline on 80 minutes to put him joint-top of the goalscoring charts in the league this season. 

A comprehensive performance from the Blues, in which they demonstrated the standards that have seen them run out worthy champions. They will now look to make it a league and cup double on the 27th of April against Jarvis Brook. 

Sidley Team: Hutchins, Walker, Featherstone, Elliott-Noye, Hackman, McCue, Ellis, Clifford, Cornford, Cumming-Bart, Capon. Subs: McEniry, Carey, Foster, Rogers.

Sidley United 3 - 1 Lindfield - MSFL Premier Division - Saturday 16th April 2022

Sidley United confirmed the Mid Sussex Premier Division Championship title with a convincing win over Lindfield - one of only two sides to have beaten the Blues in the league this season.

Both teams rather cancelled each other out in the first 25 minutes before Sidley finally had a shot at goal; Charlie Cornford's effort flying just over the bar. However Sidley opened the scoring on 37 minutes when a Cornford corner was parried out by the Lindfield goalkeeper straight to the feet of Toby Clifford who smashed the ball home to give the Blues a narrow half time lead. 

Early into the second half, a quadruple change allowed Sidley to assert more control with the game becoming pretty much one way traffic as Sidley pressed Lindfield back, winning a series of corners. From one of them on 62 minutes, the tireless Danny Ellis hooked the ball over his shoulder and into the net. The pressure continued with only some good saves by the Lindfield goalkeeper keeping the score down.

Against the run of play on 80 minutes, Lindfield pulled a goal back as a long cross was scrambled into the back of the Sidley net by Jon Cunningham but 5 minutes later Man of the Match Zac McEniry headed home another Cornford corner to secure the win and the Championship with 2 matches to spare.

Sidley Team: Hutchins, Walker, McEniry, Clifford, Hickman-Smith, Ellis, Carey, McCue, Cornford, S Crabb, Capon. Subs: Elliott-Noye, Featherstone, N Crabb, Cumming-Bart, Rogers. 

Sidley United 6 - 1 Ringmer AFC - MSFL Premier Division - Saturday 9th April 2022

Sidley United put one and a half hands on the Mid Sussex Premier League trophy after a comprehensive victory over nearest rivals Ringmer AFC.

Coming into the game Sidley knew that 3 points would all be enough all but to clinch the title and they started strongly with Tyler Capon missing a glorious early opportunity before Lee Carey struck the post with a free kick.

However the Blues finally broke through in somewhat fortuitous circumstances. Sam Crabb burst into the area and saw his effort parried out by Ringmer goalkeeper Riley Taylor with the ball hitting a Ringmer defender and rolling into the net on 36 minutes.

Two more quickfire goals followed. A long throw by Charlie Cornford was headed home by Crabb at the near post via a touch off a defender on 38 minutes before Capon burst into the area and although Taylor got a hand on his strike, it rolled slowly into the net regardless on 44 minutes.

Ringmer received a lifeline at the start of the second half when they won a penalty which Marcin Ruda calmly converted on 53 minutes but the Blues responded to go again and Capon beat the offside trap on 64 minutes to calmly slot home as Ringmer stopped and appealed in vein.

The fifth goal followed on 68 minutes. Initially the flag went up against a Sidley player who was inactive but as the ball came across to a clearly onside player, the referee correctly allowed play to continue with the cutback finding Nathan Crabb who steered the ball into the net.

A number of rolling subs followed towards the end of the match which somewhat disrupted the game's momentum but Sidley still managed to notch a sixth as Toby Clifford nodded home a Cornford free kick on 88 minutes to wrap up the scoring.

Ringmer can now only draw level on 53 points in their final match and with Sidley boasting a 24 goal advantage and 3 games left, the title is all but safe for the Blues who will look to officially put it beyond any doubt next Saturday when they welcome Lindfield to Little Common Rec.

Sidley Team: Hutchins, Featherstone, Walker, Hickman-Smith, Elliott-Noye, Carey, Ellis, Cumming-Bart, Cornford, Capon, S Crabb. Subs: McCue, N Crabb, Clifford, McEniry.

Sidley United 1 - 2 AFC Southwick - MSFL Premier Division - Saturday 26th March 2022

Sidley United suffered a setback in their push for the MSFL title as AFC Southwick came from behind to take all three points.

A tight first half played out in strong windy conditions saw both teams struggle to really dominate the game but Sidley took the lead through one quality moment on 10 minutes. Tyler Capon played a brilliantly timed ball through for Paul Rogers to run onto, staying onside to get in one on one with the Southwick goalkeeper and he slotted home calmly to give Blues the lead.

Sidley had chances to extend their lead playing into the wind as Rogers forced the visiting goalkeeper into a low save before Lee Carey's strike from distance just evaded the far post. Southwick didn't create many moments, their best coming as a shot on the turn forced Dan Hutchins to parry the ball clear.

In the second period, Sidley nearly doubled the lead when a long throw came out to the edge of the area to Danny Ellis and his strike evaded the crowd of bodies but cannoned back off the post before being cleared.

On 66 minutes a defensive miscommunication saw two Sidley defenders go for the same ball which provided a chance for an unmarked Southwick player. Despite the shot being blocked behind for a corner, the resulting set piece saw the ball fall at the feet of Sean Russell who slotted high into the net to level the scores. 

A potentially decisive moment came moments later when a Sidley attack was scuppered by a deliberate handball from a Southwick defender however the referee deemed there was a covering player coming in and chose to show a yellow card instead of red. The resulting free kick was steered just wide of the post by Carey.

But it was to be Southwick who would find the winner with 5 minutes to go as they countered on the Blues and the cross in from the right was met by Andy McDowell to spark celebrations amongst the visitors. There was still time for Sidley to nearly snatch a point but Toby Clifford inadvertently blocked Carey's shot across goal before the final whistle sounded.

The Blues are without a game next week and are next in action against title rivals AFC Ringmer on April 9th.

Sidley Team: Hutchins, Featherstone, McEniry, Walker, Elliott-Noye, Ellis, Carey, Cornford, Cumming-Bart, Capon, Rogers. Subs: N Crabb, Clifford, McCue, Trickett, S Crabb.

Sidley United 2 - 0 Holland Sports - MSFL Premier Division - Saturday 19th March 2022

Sidley United ground out a hard fought 3 points to cement their lead at the top of the MSFL table. 

With strong wind on a bone-dry pitch, Sidley started well enough and opened the scoring in the 4th minute when Paul Rogers made a strong run down the right before squaring the ball across the box for Tyler Capon to tap home
Just a few minutes later, Holland Sports had a chance of their own, forcing Sidley keeper Dan Hutchins to make a good save from a well struck shot.
After this the game settled into a pattern with Sports dropping deep and relying on hitting long balls forward, while Sidley had all the possesion but struggled to open up the packed defence.
The second half followed much the same pattern though with the wind in their favour Sidley put even more pressure on the Sports goal. However, the resilient Sports defence proved difficult to penetrate; frustrating the Sidley attack time and again.
Both Tyler Capon and Charlie Cornford created but fired their shots straight at the Sports keeper.
With just 10 minutes left Sidley finally got the second goal they had been threatening when the ball was flicked up and over the Sports keeper for Chris Cumming-Bart to nod in to seal the points from a unremarkable game.
Sidley Team: Hutchins, Featherstone, McEniry, Walker, Hickman-Smith, Elliott-Noye, Ellis, Carey, Cornford, Capon, Rogers. Subs: McCue, Cumming-Bart, Trickett.

Sidley United 4 - 1 Rustington - Sussex FA Intermediate Cup Semi Final - Saturday 12th March 2022

Sidley United booked their spot in the final of the Sussex FA Intermediate Cup with an excellent victory over SCFL side Rustington.

The match, sponsored by Vector Recruitment Solutions, pitted the teams top of the MSFL and SCFL Div 2 and promised to be a tight and competitive encounter. And it seemed set to be that way as early on Sidley shaded the play without too many chances coming their way.

There was a huge penalty appeal which wasn't awarded when Sam Crabb seemed to be pulled back by a Rustington defender and Crabb was injured in that phase of play. His replacement, Tyler Capon, was quickly into the action though and he set up the opening goal by brilliantly keeping the ball in play and hooking it through for Charlie Cornford to run onto and his composed finish into the bottom corner gave Sidley the advantage on 30 minutes.

One quickly became two and again Capon was involved, doing well to win a corner which was headed back across goal by Josh Elliott-Noye for Paul Rogers to nod home from close tange on 34 minutes. The Blues may have gone in three ahead but Billy Nash made an excellent stop to deny Elliott-Noye who had turned and fired towards the far corner.

Straight from the restart, Lee Carey's audacious shot was tipped onto the crossbar by Nash but Sidley were three goals up on 52 minutes as Rogers played a lovely one-two to get in on goal and he rolled the ball home.

Rustington though struck back less than a minute later as Chris Darwin turned and fired an unstoppable strike into the top corner, giving Hutchins no chance. The game then became more open with Rustington tails up and feeling like another goal would really bring them back into contention.

However their momentum was ended when Mike Gilchrist was shown a second yellow card for throwing the ball at Sidley manager John Carey and the Blues seemed to be able to see out the game.

In the sixth minute of stoppage time, the Blues won a penalty as Cornford was clipped in the area and Lee Carey stepped up to slot the ball home to wrap up the match.

The Blues will face Jarvis Brook in the final at Culver Road in Lancing at a date to be confirmed.

Sidley Team: Hutchins, Featherstone, McEniry, Hickman-Smith, Walker, Elliott-Noye, Ellis, Carey, Cornford, S Crabb (Capon, Cumming-Bart), Rogers (Clifford). 

Sidley United 4 - 1 Westfield - MSFL Premier Division - Saturday 26th February 2022

Sidley United produced a battling second half performance to claim what could turn out to be a huge three points in a potentially decisive afternoon in the MSFL title race.

The Blues found the first half a struggle though and Westfield were well in the game. Eventually the Blues did take the lead when the ball came through to Josh Elliott-Noye who arrowed a low strike into the corner of the net to give Sidley the lead on 18 minutes.

But Westfield dug in and had a great chance to level when Dan Hutchins had to make a one-on-one save. Sidley didn't heed that warning though and Westfield levelled moments before half time as Josh Pickering headed home a cross from the left.

With news coming through that title rivals Ringmer were also drawing away to AFC Southwick at half time, Sidley knew they couldn't afford to drop points and they took the game to Westfield at the start of the second half. On 60 minutes, they took the lead as a corner was flicked on by Paul Rogers and headed home by Zac McEniry.

Only then did Sidley fully settle down and Tyler Capon made it 3 - 1 when he finished smartly on 73 minutes. A number of stoppages for fouls from both sides disrupted the flow of the game and from one such foul, Lee Carey struck Sidley's fourth with a direct free kick low into the far corner on 80 minutes.

A huge result this as Sidley earned three points from a game that at one stage could easily have got away from them. Their title advantage is boosted with Ringmer losing 2 - 1 to Southwick meaning the Blues now hold a 4 point lead with a game in hand.

Sidley Team: Hutchins, Walker, Featherstone, McEniry, Elliott-Noye, Carey, Ellis, N Crabb, Cornford, S Crabb, Rogers. Subs: McCue, Capon, Clifford.

Sidley United 6 - 0 Harting - Sussex FA Intermediate Cup Quarter Final - Saturday 12th February 2022

Sidley United put West Sussex Championship outfit Harting to the sword to book a place in the Semi Final of the Sussex FA Intermediate Cup. 

The visitors were the lowest ranked side left in the last eight but their league form was impressive, meaning the Blues couldn't afford to take them lightly. However the pattern of the game indicated a measure of control for the home side and they took the lead on only 9 minutes when Louis Walker's attempted cross from the right dropped over the goalkeeper and into the net.

Harting defended doggedly as Sidley failed to convert more chances with Sam Crabb going closest when he hit the crossbar on 20 minutes. However they grabbed an important second goal when Paul Rogers controlled a cross and fired into the roof of the net on 42 minutes. 

The Blues continued their push forward in the second half. On 48 minutes they won the ball high up and Charlie Cornford fed Crabb who poked the ball past the onrushing goalkeeper to make it 3 - 0 before Cornford got on the scoresheet on 57 minutes with a low strike into the far corner of the net. 

The Harting goalkeeper made a number of good stops but the fifth goal came through a lovely lob by Lee Carey from fully 35 yards on 61 minutes. The Blues made their substitutions with the game wrapped up and one of those who came from the bench, Nathan Crabb, completed the scoring in the final minute to make it 6 - 0.

The Blues will face SCFL side Rustington in the last four for a place in the final. That match is scheduled for March 12th. 

Sidley Team: Hutchins, Walker, Featherstone, McEniry (Clifford), Hickman-Smith, Ellis, Carey, Cumming-Bart (Elliott-Noye), Cornford, Rogers, S Crabb (N Crabb).

Sidley United 9 - 1 Eastbourne Rangers - MSFL Premier Division - Saturday 5th February 2022

Sidley United thumped Eastbourne Rangers to move 5 points clear at the top of the Mid Sussex Premier league.

The kick off to the match, sponsored by Mowgli, was delayed due to a road accident causing some late arrivals, including that of the referee. But when the game did get going Sidley wasted no time getting about their visitors and took the lead on 18 minutes when Tyler Capon finished off a neat move.

Louis Walker made a clever near post run to head home Charlie Cornford's free kick on 24 minutes before Capon poked home his second goal on 32 minutes on the goal-line after Rangers goalkeeper Kevin Roberts had denied Paul Rogers from close range.

Steve Hickman-Smith headed home a fourth from a corner on 39 minutes and Zac McEniry repeated the trick on 42 minutes with Roberts being sin-binned for dissent in the aftermath of the fifth goal, seeing Rangers temporarily reduced to 10 men.

Sidley made a quick start to the second half as a long throw wasn't dealt with and Capon tapped home for his hat-trick on 49 minutes before Rogers burst past the last defender and slotted home a minute later to make it 7 - 0.

Another corner led to Sidley getting an eighth goal when a Rangers defender unfortunately turned the ball home on 64 minutes but Rangers did net a consolation as Kyle Daines struck when Sidley themselves failed to deal with a corner on 66 minutes.

A lovely Lee Carey strike from the edge of the area made it 9 for Sidley on 76 minutes and they had the chance to hit double figures when Capon was wiped out in the area but Cornford smashed the crossbar with the resultant penalty.

However, the miss was immaterial as Sidley moved five points clear due to challengers Ringmer being held to a draw.

Sidley Team: Hutchins, Walker, Featherstone, McEniry, Hickman-Smith, Foster, Ellis, Cumming-Bart, Cornford, Capon, Rogers. Subs: Smart, McCue, S Crabb, Carey, N Crabb.

Sidley United 4 - 1 Sedlescombe Rangers - MSFL Premier Division - Saturday 29th January 2022

Sidley United restored their three point lead at the top of the Mid Sussex Premier Division after battling to victory over basement side Sedlescombe Rangers. 

In blustery conditions and a difficult Oval pitch, the Blues took an early lead through Danny Ellis' 6th minute goal following a goal-mouth scramble but the visitors responded almost immediately as Dan Tyler finished off training ground routine to level the scores on 10 minutes.

The rest of the half was a scrappy affair with Sidley seeing several chances to take the lead go begging as Paul Rogers, Toby Clifford and Steve Hickman-Smith all failing to convert as the first half ended with honours even.

But early in the second half the Blues went in front when Lee Carey's corner was touched home by Zac McEniry on 50 minutes. The game was then marked by a raft of substitutions but Sidley did well to deny any chance for Rangers to get themselves back in the game with Man of the Match Steve Hickman-Smith particularly effective.

Sidley won a penalty when Josh Elliott-Noye was pushed over and Paul Rogers converted the spot kick on 83 minutes before Elliott-Noye added some gloss to the scoreline by capitalising on a defensive mix up to slot home a fourth goal on 89 minutes. 

Sidley Team: Hutchins, Walker, McEniry, Elliott-Noye, Hickman-Smith, McCue, Ellis, Carey, Clifford, Cornford, Cumming-Bart, Rogers. Subs: Featherstone, Trickett, Capon, S Crabb.

Sidley United 10 - 2 AFC Uckfield II - Sussex FA Intermediate Cup Third Round - Saturday 22nd January 2022

It wasn't quite a perfect 10 for the Blues but they still hit double figures to progress to the Quarter Finals of the Sussex FA Intermediate Cup.

In their first match back at Little Common Rec this season, the Blues never looked overly troubled by their Championship visitors and Nathan Crabb finished off a lovely flowing move to open the scoring on 14 minutes before some great play by Joe McCue set up Charlie Cornford to make it 2 on 21 minutes.

Paul Rogers converted on 31 minutes and Toby Clifford fired home on 37 minutes before Josh Elliott-Noye scored with a delightful chip after bursting through from midfield on 44 minutes to give the Blues a comfortable 5 - 0 lead at half time.

Nathan Crabb got his second goal just 30 seconds into the second half but the visitors responded when Zac Bignell hit a terrific free kick into the top corner on 57 minutes. 

Undeterred though, McCue got his second on 60 minutes from close range before Rogers turned and fired home via the inside of the post on 71 minutes. Lee Carey nodded home on 83 minutes and the sought after 10th goal went to Clifford who slotted home a square ball from Danny Ellis in stoppage time.

There was still time for Uckfield to grab the last goal; a cross from the left was headed home by Mitch Pope but the final whistle blew shortly after as Sidley set up a home tie against West Sussex outfit Harting in the Quarter Finals.

Sidley Team: Hutchins, Walker, McEniry, Elliott-Noye (J Carey), McCue, Clifford, L Carey, Ellis, N Crabb (Smart), Cornford (Hickman-Smith), Rogers.

Sidley United 3 - 0 Hollington United - MSFL Premier Division - Saturday 15th January 2022

Sidley United re-established a 3 point lead at the top of the table after a good victory against local rivals Hollington United.

Hollington began well and probably shaded the opening 10 minutes of play, albeit without really testing Blues' goalkeeper Dan Hutchins. However the momentum shifted when Sidley took the lead on 22 minutes as Danny Ellis' strike from the edge of the area deflected off a defender and wrong footed the Lions' goalkeeper.

Lee Carey then doubled the Sidley lead on 29 minutes with a lovely direct free kick. And before half time the Blues grabbed a third goal when Chris Cumming-Bart's delicious cross from the right saw Charlie Cornford initially hit the post but he reacted quickest to the rebound to poke the ball home.

The second half, perhaps understandably, lacked the intensity of the first. A couple of yellow cards for The Lions was as much action as there was at either end. Sidley Man of the Match Tyler Capon cut inside from the left and forced a smart save from the away goalkeeper while at the other end Hutchins was out quickly to smother a rare Hollington attack.

However Sidley had already done enough already to claim the points and they saw out the game to move clear of rivals Ringmer, who were not in action. Next week Sidley turn their focus to the Sussex FA Intermediate Cup as they face AFC Uckfield II in their first match at Little Common Rec this season.

Sidley Team: Hutchins, Featherstone (McCue), McEniry, Walker, Elliott-Noye (Clifford), Carey, Cumming-Bart, Capon, Ellis, Cornford (Foster), Rogers.

Lindfield 4 - 3 Sidley United - MSFL Premier Division - Saturday 8th January 2022

It was not a happy start to the new year on the pitch for Sidley United as they suffered a first league loss of the season, going down 3 - 1 to Lindfield.

The Blues fell behind after 15 minutes when Andy Brown latched onto a through ball and finished through the legs of goalkeeper Dan Hutchins. And minutes later Blues were 2 down as Jon Cunningham burst past his defender and smashed a shot into the bottom corner.

On 40 minutes Ryan Novis cleverly kept the ball in play when he could have taken the easy option of a corner and he whipped in a lovely ball for Brown to nod home from 6 yards out. Sidley did get a lifeline to get back in the game when Chris Cumming-Bart scored in stoppage time.

Blues would have hoped the tide would turn in the second half and were on the offensive in the second half but they went 4 - 1 down as Cunningham scored a near-replica of his first goal on 70 minutes.

Zac McEniry headed home on 80 minutes to give Sidley faint hope of a comeback and this increased as the game reached stoppage time when Sidley were awarded a penalty which Paul Rogers converted despite the goalkeeper getting a hand to his strike.

However Sidley just didn't have the time to strike again and Lindfield held on to claim the points. The Blues must pick themselves up as they face another tough test when they take on local rivals Hollington United next weekend.

Sidley Team: Hutchins, Walker, Featherstone, McEniry, Elliott-Noye, McCue, Carey, S Crabb, Capon, Cumming-Bart, Rogers. Subs: N Crabb, Ellis. 

Cuckfield Rangers 2 - 5 Sidley United - MSFL Premier Division - Saturday 18th December 2021

Sidley United claimed a comprehensive victory in their final match of 2021 to leave them still unbeaten and top of the Mid Sussex Premier Division at the turn of the year.

The Blues got off to a flying start as after just 3 minutes a long kick by goalkeeper Dan Hutchins was headed on by Nathan Crabb into the path of striker Paul Rogers who coolly slotted home.

Sidley were dominant early on and only an excellent save by the Cuckfield goalkeeper denied Sam Crabb a goal on 20 minutes. However, Sidley did score their second goal of the game on 40 minutes when a corner saw Josh Elliott-Noye force the ball over the line after a goal-mouth scramble.

And Sidley went in at the break 3 goals to the good as Zac McEniry headed in another corner in the fifth minute of stoppage time.

Sidley maintained their tempo in the second half with Chris Cumming-Bart getting his name on the score sheet just 6 minutes into the half. It wasn’t all one-way traffic however, as Cuckfield rallied to get one back with substitute Jack Bilbruck getting the goal for Rangers.

Sidley restored their lead on 62 minutes when Nathan Crabb’s throw-in was flicked on for Rogers to control and tap in for his second and Sidley’s fifth of the game.

With the game effectively won, Blues defender Peter Featherstone was needlessly sent to the sin-bin with less than 15 minutes to go and Rangers took advantage of Sidley’s lack of manpower with Bilbruck getting his second on 81 minutes.

Sidley dug in though to see out the game, meaning that they top the Premier Division by 3 points as the league goes into the Christmas break.

Sidley Team: Hutchins, Walker, McEniry, Featherstone, Elliott-Noye, McCue, Carey, Cumming-Bart, S Crabb, N Crabb, Rogers. Subs: Capon, Cornford, Foster. 

Sidley United 8 - 0 Bexhill Town - Sussex FA Intermediate Cup Second Round - Saturday 11th December 2021

Sidley United progressed into Round Three of the Sussex FA Intermediate Cup with a thumping win over neighbours Bexhill Town from the East Sussex League, scoring 8 second half goals.

The match, played at The Polegrove, looked like being a tight affair though as Sidley dominated the first half but failed to convert a series of half chances. Paul Rogers had to be replaced just before half time after sustaining a facial injury and his replacement Sam Crabb would soon find himself in the thick of the action in the second half.

There was a slice of luck about his first two goals; firstly charging down an attempted clearance from Town goalkeeper Daniel Hart which saw the ball roll into the open goal on 52 minutes before a short backpass by a Town defender to Hart allowed Tyler Capon to nick the ball from him and although his effort was blocked on the line, Crabb was on hand to slot home the rebound on 63 minutes for 2 - 0.

The third goal though was a quality one. After the ball pinged up in the air, Crabb unleashed a monstrous volley from the edge of the area which flew into the net on 66 minutes. The floodgates were truly opened by now as Crabb bagged a fourth, racing past the defender and poking the ball pust the onrushing Hart to make it 4 - 0.

A clever short corner routine allowed Chris Cumming-Bart to score from the edge of the area with another excellent finish on 76 minutes before Joe McCue converted a penalty after he was brought down on 83 minutes.

Capon bagged the seventh when he slotted home from close range on 87 minutes before he was then upended in the box for another Sidley penalty in the 90th minute which Crabb struck into the top corner for his fifth goal of the game and Sidley's eighth.

The Blues will be at home in Round Three to MSFL Championship outfit AFC Uckfield II on January 15th. Next week they return to league action in their final match of the year as they travel to face Cuckfield Rangers.

Sidley Team: Hutchins, Featherstone, Walker, Hickman-Smith, McCue, Elliott-Noye, Carey, Capon, Cumming-Bart, Rogers (S Crabb), N Crabb (Wells).

Sidley United 4 - 3 Rotherfield - MSFL Premier Division - Saturday 20st November 2021

Sidley United recovered from going 2 - 0 down to take all three points and maintain their unbeaten league record.

In a match played at The Oval, home of Eastbourne United FC, Sidley started positively and set the pattern for the match as they set up camp in the Rotherfield half, winning a succession of free kicks and corners. It seemed a matter of time before the Blues opened the scoring but some wayward shooting and some dogged defending denited them.

To compound their frustration, Rotherfield scored with a rare counter-attack on the cusp of half time through Alan Haugh to leave Sidley shaking their heads as they went into the break.

The second half started in much the same way, with Sidley pushing hard. However on 55 minutes they found themselves 2 goals down when the referee adjudged a tackle by Peter Featherstone to be a foul inside the penalty area and Luke Beaton stepped up to convert the resulting spot kick.

Sidley didn't give up though and were rewarded with a goal in the 63rd. minute when, following a goal-mouth scramble, Zac McEniry turned the ball into the net. And just 2 minutes later, Sidley equalised when Tyler Capon, in his first appearance for Sidley, knocked in the equaliser.

Well on top now, Sidley hit the front as Captain and Man of the Match, Josh Elliott-Noye scored the third on 80 minutes before Charlie Cornford added a fourth on 85 minutes, holding off 2 defenders, wriggling free to send his shot into the corner of the Rotherfield net.

There was a late scare as a mix-up between goalkeeper and defender allowed Rotherfield to pull one back just before the final whistle but the Blues held on to claim a welcome three points.

Next week it is a local derby as the Blues travel to old rivals Hollington United.

Sidley Team: Hutchins, Walker, McEniry, Featherstone, McCue, Elliott-Noye, Clifford, Capon, Cumming-Bart, Cornford, Rogers. Subs: S Crabb, Carey.

Sidley United 0 - 3 Balcombe - Montgomery Cup Quarter Final - Saturday 13th November 2021

Sidley United saw one chance at silverware slip through their fingers as they suffered a first defeat of the season with Balcombe progressing to the Semi Finals of the Montgomery Cup.

The two sides met last month where Sidley ran out 8 - 0 winners but this match, played at Hailsham Town FC, never looked like being a repeat. A much changed Sidley side, suffering from suspensions and injuries, found it tough to get going with the visitors shading the early stages of the first half possession while Sidley's best moment came when Danny Ellis flashed a shot wide of the far post after a twisting run.

Just two minutes before half time, Balcombe took the lead as a shot from the edge of the area beat Blues goalkeeper Ricardo Teixeira. There was still time for a glorious chance to equalise as Chris Cumming-Bart got through one-on-one but he got too much on his attempted lob over the goalkeeper and it cleared the crossbar.

In the second period, the game became increasingly fractrious and it threatened to spoil over. From one example of dissent, Balcombe's Ryan Davidson was sin-binned for dissent. Sidley thought they had equalised as Ellis' resulting free kick evaded everyone to nestle in the net but the goal was disallowed as the free kick was indirect.

Shortly afterwards, Alan Foster was also sin-binned for dissent and Balcombe took advantage to double the lead. As Sidley wasted their own throw in, the ball came through to Jamie Weston whose low strike from the edge of the area found the net on 73 minutes.

The game was put to bed when a third goal was scored. A Balcombe corner finding its way to one of their players to head home inside the six yard box on 84 minutes.

Then almost inevitably, the game finally boiled over as Balcombe's Chris Clarke and Sidley's Danny Ellis were shown straight red cards for an incident which led to a mass melee involving nearly everyone from both sides. A disappointing end to the match as the referee blew for full time immediately after the two dismissals.

A day to forget for the Blues but Balcombe were worthy winners on the day. Next week the Blues will return to league action as they take on Rotherfield.

Sidley Team: Teixeira, Walker, McEniry, Featherstone, McCue, Clifford, Agutter Ellis, Foster, Carey, Cumming-Bart. Subs: Trickett, Rogers, S Crabb.

Ringmer AFC 0 - 2 Sidley United - MSFL Premier Division - Saturday 6th November 2021

Sidley United picked up a crucial three points and moved clear at the top of the Mid Sussex Premier Division as they inflicted a first defeat of the season on title rivals Ringmer. 

This match had all the bearings of a potentially decisive game at the top of the table with both sides unbeaten in 10 league matches coming into the game and separated only by goal difference.

The Blues thought they hit the front with just 25 seconds on the clock as a cross from the left was cushioned down by Paul Rogers to Sam Crabb who finished high into the net but the offside flag had gone up against Rogers.

Undeterred though Sidley dominated the opening exchanges and took the lead on 7 minutes as a throw-in fell at the feet of Crabb who poked the ball home at the near post from close range to give Sidley a dream start.

Ringmer grew into the game around 20 minutes in and started applying some pressure on the Sidley goal with goalkeeper Dan Hutchins making a good low save from an effort from distance while a momentary mix up right at the end of the half almost gifted Ringmer an equaliser before the Blues dealt with the danger. However going into the break Sidley felt they had a measure of control.

The second half began with Chris Agutter replacing Paul Rogers for the Blues to stiffen up the midfield. Unfortunately Agutter only managed to go 6 minutes before being booked for a foul tackle which presented Ringmer an opportunity with a free kick which Hutchins did well to beat away.

On 53 minutes came the most controversial and possibly decisive moment. As a Ringmer player attempted to head the ball back to his goalkeeper, Chris Cumming-Bart nipped in and lifted the ball over him. A scrambling covering defender hooked the ball out from the goal but the referee deemed that the ball had crossed the line first despite the assistant not signalling it had done so. The referee did go and speak to the assistant but deemed he was not in a credible enough position to tell and, confident in his decision, duly awarded Sidley the goal.

Two could have become three when Sidley caught Ringmer napping with a quick free kick which sprung Danny Ellis through on goal but he dragged his effort wide of the post. 

Fortunately, the miss mattered little as the Sidley back line doggedly defended some late Ringmer corners and crosses to secure the win, the clean sheet and a 3 point gap at the top of the table.

Sidley Team: Hutchins, Walker, Featherstone, McEniry, Elliott-Noye (Funnell), Foster, Ellis, Carey, Cumming-Bart, S Crabb (McCue), Rogers (Agutter).

Westfield 0 - 3 Sidley United - MSFL Premier Division - Saturday 30th October 2021

Sidley United returned to winning ways with a victory in the local derby as they beat Westfield 3 - 0.

A rainy morning turned into a sunny afternoon at the Parish Field as Sidley started with their usual energy, winning a succession of corners with Westfield defending stoutly, blocking a number of shots.

Westfield would find themselves briefly down to 10 men when Wayne Giles was sin-binned for dissent. However, as the half wore on, Westfield started to get a foot in the game and came close to opening the scoring when a shot at goal struck the foot of the Sidley post.

However, it was Sidley who took the lead 2 minutes before the break when Danny Ellis was fouled and Lee Carey stepped up and struck the free-kick over the wall and into the net to give Sidley a narrow half time lead.

The second half was pretty much one way traffic as Sidley pinned Westfield in their own half as they started to dominate. The home side held out until the 74th minute when a ball into the box was neatly laid off by Paul Rogers into the path of Matt McClean who calmly stroked the ball into the corner of the net.

The game was put to bed just 3 minutes later when Alan Foster scored Sidley’s third; beating the offside trap and running through to slot the ball home. The Blues could have extended the winning margin when they were awarded a penalty when a Sidley played was bundled over in the box but Lee Carey steered the spot kick wide of the post with what proved to be the final kick of the game.

Sidley remain top of the Premier Division ahead of rivals Ringmer AFC on goal difference. The two unbeaten sides meet next weekend in what could prove to be a crucial clash.

Sidley Team: Teixeira, Walker, Featherstone, McEniry, Elliott-Noye, McCue, Ellis, Foster, Carey, McClean, Rogers. Subs: Corke.

Sidley United 1 - 1 Cuckfield Rangers - MSFL Premier Division - Saturday 23rd October 2021

Sidley United missed the chance to extend their lead at the top of the MSFL as a stoppage time equaliser ensured that Cuckfield went away with a point.

After strolling to a huge victory last week, Cuckfield presented a far more determined and resilient opposition. However it was looking good for the Blues as their early pressure brought about an early goal for Paul Rogers on 9 minutes.

After this, the game became more of a battle with both sides looking to dominate with neither really succeeding. Chances were few and far between; although did Cuckfield force Sidley goalkeeper Dan Hutchins into an excellent save to preserve the narrow lead going into the half-time break.

The second half continued where the first half had left off; with scoring opportunities limited by dogged defending by both sides. Sidley made a triple change but could not find that second goal which would kill off the game.

But as the game approached stoppage time it looked as though Sidley had done enough to hold for a narrow victory. However in the 3rd minute of stoppage time, Cuckfield won a corner kick which was evenutally bundled home by Jamie Weller to earn the visitors a deserved share of the points.

The Sidley Man of the Match was Peter Featherstone. 

Sidley Team: Hutchins, Walker, McEniry, Featherstone, Elliott-Noye, McCue, Ellis, Carey, Cumming-Bart, N Crabb, Rogers. Subs: Foster, S Crabb, Hickman-Smith.

Sidley United 8 - 0 Balcombe - MSFL Premier Division - Saturday 16th October 2021

Sidley United crushed Balcombe to cement their place at the top of the Mid Sussex Premier Division.

With Little Common still unavailable, the Blues returned to Hooe Rec for this match, sponsored by Hastings Direct, and began at a terrific tempo. A neat one-two with Paul Rogers sprang Nathan Crabb away down the right and he finished powerfully at the near post to put the Blues in front on 13 minutes.

Sidley would double the lead when Zac McEniry headed home a corner on 22 minutes before Lee Carey finished with a low drive from the edge of the area on 33 minutes to leave Balcombe stunned.

The Blues went in at the break 5 goals to the good as the impressive Danny Ellis beat the offside trap with a run from deep, cut inside his man and finished on 41 minutes before Crabb almost replicated that 2 minutes later, cutting in from the right hand side to round the goalkeeper and slot home.

The challenge in the second half was maintaining the same intensity but Sidley showed no sign of slowing up as they won a penalty when Chris Cumming-Bart was brought down on 50 minutes and Paul Rogers calmly slotted the ball home low to the goalkeepers' left from the resulting spot kick.

Crabb completed his hat-trick when Ellis brilliantly beat a final defender and sat the goalkeeper down before rolling the ball across the line for Crabb to tap home on 67 minutes and Rogers completed the scoring when he was bundled over to win another penalty, picking himself up to convert in the same corner as the first to make it 8 - 0 on 71 minutes.

Balcombe created one chance late on which goalkeeper Dan Hutchins did well to repel but they could never really lay a glove on the Blues who put in probably their most complete performance of the season to remain top of the Mid Sussex table. The Man of the Match was hat-trick hero Nathan Crabb.

Sidley Team: Hutchins, Featherstone, McEniry, Walker, Elliott-Noye, Ellis, Carey, McCue, Cumming-Bart, N Crabb, Rogers. Subs: Cornford, Foster, Thompson.

Rotherfield 0 - 4 Sidley United - MSFL Premier Division - Saturday 9th October 2021

Sidley United returned to the top of the MSFL with a comfortable victory over Rotherfield.

After the frustration of the weather denying them a victory over Ringmer last weekend when the game was abandoned at half time with the Blues 2 - 0 up, they were determined to put this game to bed as early as possible. 

The game started somewhat controversially as Sidley thought they scored after 2 minutes when Paul Rogers ran onto a cross from the right to finish neatly past the keeper. However, the Rotherfield assistant referee raised his flag for offside; much to the surprise and annoyance of the Sidley players. The referee went over to the assistant and, after a brief discussion, the goal was disallowed and a free kick awarded to Rotherfield.

Rogers, clearly incensed by what he saw as a wrong and unfair decision, carried his protests to the referee too far and was sin-binned as a result.

However, his absence did not stop Sidley from continuing to attack and in the eighth minute they were rewarded with the opening goal. Chris Cumming-Bart found himself unmarked in the Rotherfield half, when the ball ran through to him and he calmly slotted it home. Although clearly in an offside position, the ball had come off a Rotherfield player which meant he was free to play it. Again, the Rotherfield assistant referee raised his flag, and again the referee went over to speak to him. This time however, the goal was given, as the referee had clearly seen the sequence of events.

Once back on the pitch, Paul Rogers wasted no time in getting amongst the goals as he scored his first goal on 16 minutes which was then followed by his second from the penalty spot just 3 minutes later, following a rash kick out from a Rotherfield defender inside the area.

Rotherfield offered very little in the way of attack, and when they did, the Sidley defence dealt confidently with any threat leaving debutant Sidley goalkeeper Dan Hutchins little to do.

The second half continued in the same vein, with Sidley on the front foot and dominating the game. However, despite creating chance after chance, they had to wait until the 77th minute to score their fourth goal. Charlie Cornford held off 2 defenders and suppllied the perfect cross for substitute Lee Carey to head across the keeper and into the net for his first goal of the season.

A dominant display this from Sidley who went top after rivals Ringmer were held to a draw. The Man of the Match was Chris Cumming-Bart. 

Sidley Team: Hutchins, McEniry, Featherstone, Elliott-Noye, Hickman Smith, McCue, Ellis, N Crabb, Cumming-Bart, Cornford, Rogers. Subs: Carey. Walker, Trickett, Thompson.

Sidley United A - A Ringmer AFC - MSFL Premier Division - Saturday 2nd October 2021

Sidley United's match against Ringmer was abandoned at half time owing to a waterlogged pitch.

In atrocious conditions, the Blues were leading 2 - 0 at the break but a large pool of standing water that refused to be cleared in the end put paid to the game.

The Blues began well and aided by the strong wind and heavy rain, had Ringmer penned back in their own half for most of the half. They took the lead on 23 minutes when a nice one-two ended with Chris Cumming-Bart squaring across goal for Nathan Crabb to control his finish into the net.

Sidley grabbed the second goal with practically the final action of the half as a corner from the left was headed home by Steve Hickman-Smith.

However, the worsening pitch and constant poor conditions meant that despite the Sidley staff and players' efforts, the referee was left with no other choice but to abandon the game.

Sidley Team: Masters, S Crabb, Walker, McEniry, Hickman-Smith, Foster, Ellis, Carey, Cumming-Bart, N Crabb, Rogers.

Willingdon Athletic 1 - 4 Sidley United - MSFL Premier Division - Saturday 25th September 2021

Sidley United made it 5 wins from 6 on the road but had to overcome a hard working Willingdon side who refused to lie down.

The first half began at a fierce pace with both sides looking to get on top. However as play settled down it was Sidley who managed to enjoy the bulk of the pressure with Willingdon looking to counter.

Sidley got their noses in front on 30 minutes as Nathan Crabb struck before Sam Crabb added a second goal just two minutes later.

A controversial incident just before half time saw the clean through on goal Nathan Crabb brought down by the last Willingdon defender but the referee deemed that he got the ball and waved away the appeals of the Sidley faithful. Paul Rogers took his complaints a little too far for the referee’s liking and was sin-binned.

In the second half Willingdon upped their game as they began to find their passes and created some more chances. Fortunately the strength in depth on the Sidley bench meant they could introduce fresh legs to counter this threat.

Willingdon did pull a goal back on 78 minutes when they were awarded a penalty which was tucked away by Alex Burton past debutant goalkeeper Clark Masters.

Keeping their heads though, Sidley responded by scoring again within 2 minutes after the ball pinged around the area and came out to Danny Ellis who finished well. Charlie Cornford wrapped up the win on 85 minutes with a strong drive and confident finish.

Sidley Team: Masters, S Crabb, Walker, Featherstone, Hickman-Smith, Foster, Ellis, Carey, Cumming-Bart. N Crabb, Rogers. Subs: Cornford, McCue, Trickett

Balcombe 0 - 1 Sidley United - MSFL Premier Division - Saturday 11th September 2021

Nathan Crabb's second half goal was enough to see off plucky Balcombe and send Sidley back to the top of the MSFL.

The Blues returned to a pitch where they suffered a heavy loss after the Covid break last season determined to put on a better showing this time around. They began well although the biggest talking point in the opening 15 minutes was the huge tree overhanging a good part of the pitch.

Gradually Sidley got on top and looked threatening at corners particularly with Zac McEniry and Steve Hickman going close and another good ball in from Lee Carey going begging. Balcombe's best moment came when Phil Hawkins picked up a backpass and an indirect free kick was given inside the area but Sidley defended it well.

Into the second half, the game was an even affair with neither goalkeeper overly tested until Crabb broke the deadlock on 57 minutes when he reacted quickest to a lofted clearance to get in on goal on the right and, despite getting a foot to his low strike, the Balcombe goalkeeper could only help the ball into the roof of the net.

Balcombe came further forward after this with Sidley resolved to defend well and try to wrap up the game on the the break. Man of the Match Crabb almost clinched it when he was played in on goal by Paul Rogers but this time his low strike just cleared the far post.

The home side applied late pressure with some long throws into the Sidley area but the defence held firm for a welcome clean sheet to go along with the three points.

Sidley Team: Hawkins, Walker, McEniry, Featherstone, Hickman, Ellis, Baldwin, Carey, Cumming-Bart, N Crabb, Rogers. Subs: Trickett, Elphick, Elliott-Noye, McCue.

AFC Southwick 1 - 1 Sidley United - MSFL Premier Division - Saturday 4th September 2021

Sidley's winning start to the campaign came to an end as they were held to a 1 - 1 draw by Southwick in a reunion of the former County sides.

On a warm afternoon at the home of Whitehawk FC, both sides found it difficult to create clear cut chances in the first half. A succession of Sidley corners midway through the half suggested they may have had more of the momentum but nothing really came of them.

Both sides were restricted to efforts with a curling Chris Cumming-Bart effort for Sidley going just over the bar before Southwick had an opportunity late on in the half which was comfortably dealt with by Blues goalkeeper Phil Hawkins.

In the second half though the game came more to life. Sidley had good opportunities through Charlie Cornford and Alan Foster early on but were then hit by Southwick who took the lead on 61 minutes. A corner from the left was met by a header which Hawkins did brilliantly well to save but Jordan Groom was on hand to smash the ball high into the net, much to the delight of the home fans.

That might have been the wake up call that Sidley needed as only a great double save by home goalkeeper Josh Measor prevented Blues from levelling almost immediately.

However Measor was beaten on 70 minutes when Sidley's Man of the Match Nathan Crabb was played through on goal and Measor came out to meet him, appearing to handle outside the area. The referee chose to allow play to continue with Crabb rolling the ball into the empty net and possibly sparing Measor a potential red card.

Sidley had the lions share of the play from then on and another late winner was looking a distinct possibility as Southwick were pinned in their own area. However it wasn't to be this week as Southwick held on for a deserved draw. The Blues slip to second place in the table as a result of Ringmer's win.

Sidley Team: Hawkins, Walker, McEniry, Featherstone, Carey, Baldwin, Foster, Ellis, Cumming-Bart, Cornford, Rogers. Subs: S Crabb, N Crabb, McCue, Elphick.

Sedlescombe Rangers 2 - 3 Sidley United - MSFL Premier Division - Saturday 28th August 2021

A stoppage time winner from Charlie Cornford earned all three points and kept Sidley's winning run going. 

It looked like the Blues would have a comfortable afternoon early on as they took a two goal lead. First a neat move played in Sam Crabb clean through on goal and he finished smartly past former Blue stopper Peter Newstead on 16 minutes. 

The lead was then doubled on 31 minutes when a long throw from Cornford was half cleared before being fired across the box for Paul Rogers to turn the ball home from close range to continue his run of scoring in every game since joining the club.

But the Blues may have taken their foot off the pedal at that point and the home side pulled a goal back on 36 minutes when a shot was parried out by Sidley goalkeeper Phil Hawkins and Liam Cobley was quickest to slot home the rebound. 

And Sedlescombe levelled the scores just before half time as Sidley appealed in vein for offside before the ball was cut back to Ben Seal whose shot crept into the net via the inside of the post. 

The second half saw Sedlescombe sitting deeper and trying to catch Sidley on the counter. Alan Foster came close to restoring the Sidley lead but his curling shot came back off the crossbar. 

Cornford's long throw was a weapon Sidley looked to use to their advantage and it caused the home side problems on a number of occasions but the final touch just seemed to be evading the Blues. 

But in the first minute of stoppage time, Man of the Match Cornford went on a strong run, passing his man on the right of the area and despite being forced wide, he managed to beat Newstead to the ball with his shot rolling into the far corner to secure all three points. 

A tough result for Sedlescombe who were worthy of getting something from the game but for the Blues that's two weeks in a row where late goals have earned them full points. 

Sidley Team: Hawkins, S Crabb, McEniry, Elliott-Noye, Walker, Ellis, Foster, Elphick, Baldwin, Cornford, Rogers. Subs: Featherstone, N Crabb, Williams. 

Eastbourne Rangers 1 - 2 Sidley United - MSFL Premier Division - Saturday 21st August 2021

Two late goals turned this game around as Sidley United came from behind to steal victory at Eastbourne Rangers. 

The home side began well and had the ball in the net when a free kick from the left was turned home but this was correctly chalked off for an offside offence. That really though was the highlight of the half as an even battle ensued with both sides rather cancelling each other out. 

Thankfully the second period was more lively but it was Rangers who struck the opening blow on 52 minutes. A good move down the right hand side saw the ball fired across the box and, in trying to clear, Josh Elliott-Noye was unlucky to turn the ball into the net for an own goal. 

This lifted Rangers who may have got a second before the game became a little fractious in the final quarter. Sidley levelled on 82 minutes when they counter attacked on Rangers and the ball fell to Paul Rogers who hit a firm strike which the home goalkeeper could not keep out despite getting a hand to it.

A frustrated Rangers player was then sin-binned for dissent, further handing Sidley the momentum. And from a corner on 87 minutes substitute Zac McEniry headed home after the Rangers goalkeeper got lost in the middle to give Sidley the lead.

Sidley substitute Arron Scrace was shown a straight red card from the sideline for delaying the restart of play as tensions rose on the touchline but Sidley kept their heads on the pitch to hold on and make it 2 wins from 2.

The Man of the Match award was split between Chris Cumming-Bart and Steve Hickman. 

Sidley Team: Winterton, S Crabb, McCue, Elliott-Noye, Hickman, Ellis, Foster, Carey, Baldwin, Cumming-Bart, Rogers. Subs: Elphick, Cornford, Trickett, McEniry. 

Holland Sports 0 - 3 Sidley United - MSFL Premier Division - Saturday 14th August 2021

Sidley United kicked off the new MSFL season with a 3 - 0 win away at newly-promoted Holland Sports.

The Blues fielded a number of new signings and began with positvitiy, controlling possession and pressing the home side. However it was at the other end that the first flashpoint occurred as on 12 minutes Sidley won the ball back in their own third and Holland Sports' George Smith landed a stamp on a Blues player, earning himself a straight red card in the process.

This would strengthen Sidley's control of the game, even though Nathan Crabb was forced off with a knock, but it was the home side who had a glorious chance to strike the first blow when they were awarded a controversial penalty on 26 minutes as Phil Hawkins was adjudged to have fouled a Sports player despite clearly punching the ball away before they collided. However Sidley were reprieved when the resulting spot kick was steered wide of the post.

The home side had to change their goalkeeper who picked up an injury with a defender taking over between the posts before Sidley broke through on 38 minutes. Charlie Cornford did well to beat his man and get to the byline on the left before rolling the ball across for Paul Rogers to turn the ball home from close range.

A goal and a man up at the break, Sidley would strengthen their grip on the game just 2 minutes into the second half when a corner from the right found Sam Crabb unmarked to turn the ball home.

Crabb would then go on to hit the woodwork twice more before Sidley finally put the game to bed when Rogers finished from outside the area on 81 minutes. A good late save by Hawkins ensured the Blues kept a clean sheet and started the campaign in perfect fashion.

The Sidley Man of the Match was Louis Walker. 

Sidley Team: Hawkins, S Crabb, McCue, Walker, Elliott-Noye, Ellis, Carey, Baldwin, Cumming-Bart, N Crabb, Rogers. Subs: Cornford, Foster, Elphick.

Sponsor & Advertising

Sidley Team 2022/23

Click on Matchday programme to see all of our Sponsorship & advertising opportunities for 2023/24Join us on Facebook