Reports from Sidley United's seasons in the Sussex County Football League

Season 2004/05


Whitehawk 1 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 30th April 2005

While Sidley United will be disappointed to finish the campaign on a losing note, the pressure was off with safety confirmed last week.

The Blues could have been 2 goals up before half time but both Steve Morris and Kevin Rose fired over the bar when well placed. 

In the second half Morris powered a header wife before Ian Oliver failed to get his shot away when through one on one with the home goalkeeper. 

But a defensive mistake - all too often shown throughout the season - cost the Blues when Sidley failed to clear and Dave Mitchell finished on 72 minutes to ensure the home side finished with a win.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Ball, G Morris, Rose, Finch, Barham, (Oliver), Antink, Lister (Woods), Wooller, Weston, S Morris.

Sidley United 1 - 0 Arundel - SCFL Division One - Saturday 23rd April 2005

A stunning acrobatic volley in the penultimate minute from Steve Morris ensured survival for Sidley United in their final home game of the season.

Sidley set out their stall early on with their intention of playing early balls forward and turning Arundel back towards their own goal.

Whilst the game itself was a largely even affair, nerves were understandable amongst the Sidley contingent although a point would have still left them in control of their own destiny for the final game of the season.

But Sidley don't need to worry now thanks to Morris' strike. Collecting the ball with his back to goal, the striker hooked a spectacular effort on the turn and into the top corner of the net to spark Sidley celebrations.

Given that they sat second bottom with only a handful of games remaining, the feat should be rightly acknowledged but Sidley must keep up their recent performances to avoid being dragged into trouble again next season.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Ball, Wood, G Morris, Lister, Finch, Barham (Weston), Day, Wooller (Hole), Rose, S Morris.

Sidley United 0 - 1 Whitehawk - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 19th April 2005

The battle to beat the drop continues for Sidley United after they slipped to a home defeat to Whitehawk on Tuesday.

A win would have guaranteed survival but Blues still need 2 more points to get over the line after this result.

Blues started brightly and Callum Wooller tested the visiting goalkeeper with a near post effort before Graham Morris got underneath a free header while Whitehawk's Paul Stevenson did much the same as Morris at the other end.

In the second half Whitehawk were awarded a penalty when Tommy Pattenden was fouled in the area but the same player then scuffed his spot kick wide of the post.

Sidley looked like holding out for a point but Pattenden redeemed himself by grabbing the winner with 10 minutes to go when a long kick forward saw Pattenden and Owen Ball in a straight race and after Ball slipped, Pattenden used his strength to hold Ball off and shoot across Greg Thustans and into the far corner of the net.

Kevin Rose could still have snatched a point but his sliding effort was cleared from just in front of the Whitehawk goal-line.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Ball, G Morris, Rose, Lister, Day, Watson, Finch (Hole), Wooller (S Rose), S Morris (Antink), Oliver.

Hailsham Town 0 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 16th April 2005

Sidley United made it 3 wins in a row at the perfect time with an excellent performance at Hailsham Town.

Blues played a number of strong characters in the middle of the field in order to try and impose themselves on the opponents and they controlled the match albeit without looking like scoring against a Hailsham side marshalled by Leon Legge.

But a minute before the interval Adam Day picked out a cross which Jimmy Watson attempted to head home but his effort took a deflection off an unfortunate defender and past home goalkeeper Nathan Gamester.

After Dave Ward was forced off with an injury, Hailsham were unlucky not to score in the second half when Paul Richardson's shot smashed off the underside of the crossbar and bounced down on the goal-line.

Liam Barham and Ian Oliver both went close but it was youngster Callum Wooller who sealed the win with 10 minutes to go when he raced onto Owen Ball's through ball and clipped an exquisite finish over Gamester.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Ball, G Morris, Wood, Day, Finch, Watson, Barham, Ward (Wooller), Oliver, Weston.

Sidley United 2 - 0 Ringmer - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 12th April 2005

Sidley United are out of the relegation zone after this home win against Ringmer.

Steve Morris, sent off late on against Pagham on Saturday, opened the scoring in the 13th minute when his quickly taken free kick went through the defensive wall and wrong-footed goalkeeper Ross Standen.

Ringmer enjoyed the better of the first half thereafter but they lacked potency in front of goal, having just four shots on target in the whole match.

Sidley began the second half more positively and they doubled their lead in the 58th minute when Ian Oliver poked the ball into the roof of the net following Stuart Weston's burst into the box. 

The outcome was never really in doubt after that goal and Sidley now have their destiny in their own hands.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Ball, Weston, Wood, G Morris, Ward, Watson, Lister, S Morris, Oliver, Wooller (Scott).

Sidley United 4 - 0 Pagham - SCFL Division One - Saturday 9th April 2005

Sidley United delivered a performance and result when the pressure was really on to defeat relegation rivals Pagham and breathe new life into their fight against the drop. 

Greg Thurstans had to be alert early on to keep out a low near post effort but from then on Sidley really kicked on.

Kevin Rose opened the scoring when he latched onto Ian Oliver's through ball and found the back of the net via the inside of the post.

After 37 minutes Callum Wooller was brought down in the area and Graham Morris converted the resulting spot kick.

Five minutes later Sidley went three up as Rose headed home Jimmy Watson's deflected cross as Sidley enjoyed a healthy half time advantage.

In the second half Pagham created some opportunities but lost Stuart Campbell to a red card for something he said to the referee on 55 minutes. With a man advantage Sidley kept going forward and Rose completed his perfect hat trick with 20 minutes to go when he drove through the legs of visiting goalkeeper Mark Livermore.

Some of the gloss was taken off the win when Steve Morris was sent off for foul language on 82 minutes after an innocuous push but Sidley will be more than satisfied with their afternoon.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, G Morris, Wood, Ball (Antink), Lister, Wooller (Barham), Watson, Day (Scott), Rose, Oliver, S Morris.

Sidley United 2 - 3 East Preston - SCFL Division One - Saturday 2nd April 2005

Sidley United were plunged deep into relegation trouble following a home defeat by East Preston.

All the damage was done in the first half as Blues went in 3 down at the break thanks to goals from Matt Huckett and 2 from Chris Hibbard. 

Sidley did have chances themselves but Callum Wooller, Steve Morris and Kevin Rose all spurned chances.

Blues did have a much better second half and following a change of shape plus some half time substitutions, they responded with a tap in from Rose on 70 minutes and a Graham Morris penalty on 81 minutes.

And the home side may have got something out of the game but efforts from Shae Spreafico and Rose were blocked on the line.

Sidley are now 4 points from safety but do have games in hand on relegation rivals Hailsham Town and East Grinstead Town.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, G Morris, Finch (Woods), Wood, Rose, Ball, Oliver, S Morris, Wooller (Scott), Ward (Barham), Spreafico.

Sidley United 1 - 1 Redhill - SCFL Division One - Monday 28th March 2005

Sidley United picked up a point thanks to a stoppage time goal by Shae Spreafico but remain deep in the mire after results elsewhere went against them.

The Blues started well but were dealt a blow when Redhill took the lead after 13 minutes. Some poor defending allowed Oliver West to get to the byline to cut the ball back for Michael Morgan to convert.

Graham Morris and Owen Ball both had half chances before Steve Morris should have done better with a close range header.

Redhill could have put the game to bed but Thurstans made a few good stops to keep Sidley in it while Steve Morris blew a golden chance to level when he stabbed wide with only the goalkeeper to beat.

It was looking like it would be another defeat for the Blues though until Lee Wood's stoppage time free kick found the head of Spreafico who glanced the ball into the far corner of the net.

Despite that joy, East Grinstead's surprise win over Rye & Iden United plus points for Pagham and Hailsham Town leave Sidley with plenty of work to do.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, G Morris, Finch (Antink), Wood, Rose, Ball, Watson (Oliver), Wooller, S Morris (Brown), Ward, Spreafico.

East Grinstead Town 2 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 26th March 2005

Abject, embarrassing, painful. Some of the words that could have been used to describe this Sidley United performance as they lost a crucial relegation six-pointer to East Grinstead Town.

That said, they can at least be pleased with the opening 2 minutes as home goalkeeper Dave Tidy was forced into an excellent point blank save before Matt Bradford then headed against his own crossbar.

But that was as good as it got for the Blues who were simply awful thereafter and Grinstead took full advantage. Drew Cooney was quickest to a knockdown to open the scoring on 27 minutes before Aaron Zimmatore scored in a similar fashion on 34 minutes.

Even the fresh faces of the returning Shae Spreafico and new signing Simon Ullathorne couldn't lift Sidley from their slumber.

After the break, Sidley had more possession without ever looking like scoring but again it was the hosts who created the best of the chances, failing to add to their already considerable margin.

A game to forget for Sidley, who must respond and start producing winning results before it gets too late.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Ball, Finch (Kettyles), Wood, G Morris, Barham (Wooller), Watson, Ward, Spreafico, S Morris (Rose), Ullathorne.

Eastbourne United Association 1 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 12th March 2005

Sidley United slipped to defeat at Eastbourne United thanks as much to a defensive mix up as any quality attacking play from the home side.

Neither goalkeeper was really tested during the first half but the decisive moment came in the 38th minute as a mix up between goalkeeper Greg Thurstans and Kevin Rose allowed Mark Warren to nip in to score what turned out to be the only goal of the game.

Chas Lister then had a shot brilliantly turned onto the Eastbourne crossbar by the home goalkeeper before Sidley claimed a decent penalty appeal when they felt Lister was pulled back in the area but the referee was unnmoved. 

But despite the positivity in their play, it is the defensive errors Sidley must cut out if they are to avoid relegation to Division Two.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, G Morris, Rose, Wood, Lister, Ward, Ball, Finch (Hole), Watson, S Morris, Kettyles. 

Rye & Iden United 2 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 8th March 2005

Sidley United went down to Rye & Iden United on Tuesday in a game they would have felt they may have come away with something from.

Sidley mixed the defense for this game and appeared relatively solid for the most part but were undone in the 26th minute as Sam Adams rounded off a flowing Rye move immediately after a Sidley free kick found its way into the hands of the Rye goalkeeper.

Adams notched a second time in the 54th minute when Tim Olorunda's pass sent him clear following Greg Thurstans' miskick.

Jimmy Watson pulled a goal back in the 72nd minute from Steve Morris' flick and Morris twice went close to levelling late on but couldn't convert the chances.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, G Morris, Finch (Hole), Wood, Rose, Ball, Watson, Oliver (Weston), Ward, S Morris, Wooller (Lister).

Sidley United 2 - 0 Eastbourne Town - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 1st March 2005

Sidley United boosted their survival hopes with a priceless and well-deserved win at a rain soaked Gullivers but a lot of the gloss was taken off by Keith Miles' horror tackle.

The Blues' opening goal stemmed from a clearance by goalkeeper Greg Thurstans which caught the Eastbourne defence napping. Miles got a low strike away which was parried by Town goalkeeper Russell Tanner straight to Stuart Weston who tapped into the empty net. 

And Sidley struck just moments later as Jason Finch's looping free kick drifted past Tanner who was obviously distracted by the movement of Kevin Rose. 

Two goals up and coasting to victory, the red mist descended for Miles as he made an ugly, above the knee lunge at Town's Lee Walsh. Miles was rightly shown a straight red card and play was halted for around 10 minutes as the stricken Walsh was tended to before being stretchered off.

It later transpired that Walsh suffered knee ligament damage which will almost certainly end his season while Miles was given a 56 day ban for the challenge - the worst seen at Gullivers in many a year.

As the game resumed Town could consider themselves unlucky not to get on the scoresheet but a goal-line clearance by Finch denied Ben Putland.

Three valuable points against a relegation rival could go a huge way to securing Sidley's Division One status.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Morris, Finch, Wood, Rose, Ball, Watson, Ward (Lister), Kettyles (Weston), Miles, Wooller.

Southwick 3 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 26th February 2005

Sidley United spurned a great chance to ease their relegation worries as they were beaten by a modest Southwick side.

The afternoon began badly for the Blues as Rob Boddy was allowed to cut inside and arrow a shot into the far corner of the net. Sidley failed to retain possession well enough and didn't enjoy the rub of the green as Dave Ward's 24th minute 'goal' was ruled out for a push on the goalkeeper by Owen Ball.

Six minutes later Ward's header was saved and Jimmy Watson's goalbound follow up struck the back of a covering defender as Sidley continued to enjoy rotten fortune in front of goal. That changed though as Callum Wooller arrived right on cue to head home Dan Antink's 47th minute cross.

Almost immediately though they were behind again as poor marking allowed Kevin Sharpe to turn before lifting the ball over Allan Parker-Read five minutes into the second half.

Adie Kettyles volleyed a half chance just wide for Sidley and the returning Keith Miles had a goal ruled out for an earlier infringement. The game appeared to be over as Sharpe scored a third goal on 86 minutes but Sidley kept going and in the first minute of stoppage time Jimmy Watson headed home to spark hopes of a late fightback.

However it was not to be and Sidley now face a real challenge to remain clear of the relegation places.

Sidley Team: Parker-Read, Antink (Lister), Finch (Wood), G Morris, Rose, Wooller, Watson, Ball, Kettyles (Oliver), Ward, Miles. 

Sidley United 5 - 0 Sidlesham - SCFL Division One - Saturday 19th February 2005

Sidley United crushed the Division's basement side on Saturday to open up some breathing space to the bottom three.

The Blues opened the scoring as Adie Kettyles struck in the 9th minute with a shot on the turn before Graham Morris converted a penalty early in the second half after a foul on Kevin Rose.

Rose started in central defence but was pushed up front when Steve Morris picked up an injury and had to be substituted before Rose himself was withdrawn as the game heated up.

But it was the final 10 minutes where Sidley really cut loose. Young substitute Callum Wooller scored one and set up two for Dave Ward as Sidley grabbed a confidence boosting clean sheet to go with the 3 points.

Sidley Team: Parker-Read, Antink, Finch, G Morris, Rose (Wooller), Dadswell, Watson, S Morris (L Wood), Kettyles (Oliver), Ward, Weston.

Sidley United 1 - 2 Rye & Iden United - John O Hara Cup Semi Final - Wednesday 9th Februray 2005

Sidley United missed out on the chance of reaching a cup final in a couny competition but can take much encouragement from their performance against their high flying rivals.

The Blues fell behind early on when former Sidley man Peter Baker struck before Sam Adams added a second just three minutes later.

Sidley could have fallen apart at that point but instead galvanised themselves and were the better side in the second half, causing Rye players to openly squabble with each other.

And they worked their way back into the contest when Adie Kettyles prodded home his first Sidley goal during stoppage time. Unfortunately there was not enough time for them to conjure up another opportunity and Rye booked their place in the final but Sidley can take heart from their performance ahead of the gruelling run in in the fight against relegation.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Antink, Finch (Wooller), G Morris, Rose, Hole (Oliver), Watson, S Morris, Kettyles, Ward, Weston.

Worthing United 2 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 5th February 2005

Sidley United came away with a point from Worthing thanks to Stuart Weston's late equaliser.

Sidley gave first starts to Adie Kettyles, Dan Antink and Weston and the trio all had decent matches.

A goal-less first half passed by without too much to mention but Sidley took the lead in the 47th minute as Weston was tripped inside the area and Keith Miles slotted home the penalty.

But Sidley gave soft goals away as first indecision in the Sidley defence allowed Steve Banks to score in the 52nd minute before Shane Moses had a chance gift wrapped to him 15 minutes from time when a scuffed clearance fell straight to his feet for him to score. 

However Sidley refused to give up and levelled with 3 minutes to go when Weston struck to ensure Sidley took home what could be a vital point in the battle against relegation.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Antink, Finch (Hole), G Morris, Wood, Lister, Watson, Weston, Kettyles (Oliver), Miles, Ward.

Three Bridges 4 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 22nd January 2005

Sidley United once again showed their inconsistent tendancies with a heavy defeat at Three Bridges.

The Blues got off to a superb start as Jimmy Watson opened the scoring with a cracking half volley which flashed into the top corner of the net to cap an excellent Sidley move.

But the home side were handed a route back into the match when Graham Morris' error let in Danny Smith to score. Soon after, Gavin Jones took advantage of some more slack defending to put Bridges ahead at the break.

A third goal arrived for Bridges when Greg Thurstans flapped at a corner allowing Jimmy Smith to score and Pat Massaro wrapped up the scoring from the penalty spot late on after Thurstans had brought down a forward in the Sidley area.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Parsons, Finch (Hole), G Morris, L Wood, Lister, Ward (Oliver), Watson, J Wood (Rose), Miles, S Morris.  

East Grinstead Town 1 - 2 Sidley United (AET) - John O Hara Cup Quarter Final - Saturday 15th January 2005

Sidley United made it through to the semi finals of this county cup competition with an extra time win at East Grinstead Town.

The home side began strongly and had early chances through Chris Arrow and Ben Brockbank. But it was Sidley who took the lead on 32 minutes as Keith Miles held off his man to find Owen Ball who had time and space to fire past Dave Tidy in the Grinstead goal.

Blues though were rather hanging onto their lead rather than trying to extend it and they were made to pay on 62 minutes. A break from the edge of their own box and a defence splitting pass allowed Kris Trevor to pick his spot.

The home side had more chances to win the game but some smart saved by Greg Thurstans kept Sidley in the tie and forced extra time.

The extra 30 minutes seemed to affect a tiring Grinstead side though and Sidley grabbed the winner 8 minutes from the end as Steve Morris turned and hit a left foot volley which flashed into the top corner leaving Tidy helpless. Blues will face rivals Rye United in the semi finals.

Sidley Team: Thurtans, Parsons, Finch, Lynch, G Morris, L Wood, Ward, Ball (J Wood), Lister, Miles (Rose), S Morris.

Littlehampton Town 6 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 8th January 2005

It was a poor performance from Sidley United as they slumped to a heavy defeat at Littlehampton Town on Saturday.

Buoyed by two good wins over the festive season, it was a real smack down to earth as Littlehampton opened the scoring after 8 minutes when the Blues gave away possession in the midfield and Mark Windsor struck before Windsor grabbed his second goal when he reaced through on 22 minutes to get a second.

The third goal came courtesy of Phil Churchill on the half hour mark and when Gary Young netted 8 minutes later the game was all but over by half time as Sidley failed to even get a shot on the home side's goal.

A re-shuffle at half time at least seemed to give Sidley a bit more resistance to the onslaught but still further goals went in as a 25 yard corker from Jan Miller was followed up by Churchill being left unmarked to bag the sixth on 84 minutes.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Parsons, Finch, Lynch (Ball), G Morris, Dadswell, Watson, J Wood (Lister), Rose, S Morris (Boyd), Oliver.  

Sidley United 3 - 2 Hassocks - SCFL Division One - Monday 3rd January 2005

Matt Dadswell was the hero as his goal in the fifth minute of stoppage time sealed a win for Sidley United.

Graham Morris gave Sidley the lead in the 28th minute with a glancing header and they doubled their lead four minutes into the second period when Ian Oliver emphatically turned in Steve Morris' cross.

But after the goal Hassocks were the better side in the second half as some players appeared to run out of energy and they drew themselves level with goals from Matt Robins on 71 minutes and Anthony Hibbert on 84 minutes.

But just as it looked like Sidley would have to settle for a point, Dadswell popped up with a sweet left foot finish to win the game right at the death.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Parsons, Finch, Lynch, G Morris, Dadswell, Watson, J Wood (Antink), Rose (Hole), S Morris, Oliver (Boyd).

Sidley United 5 - 3 Rye & Iden United - SCFL Division One - Monday 27th December 2004

Sidley United finally enjoyed a rare success over the festive period as they beat Rye United in front of a bumper crowd of 245 people.

Usually poor on Boxing Day fixtures, the Blues were boosted by the one off return appearance of Shae Spreafico and they capitalised on their opportunities when they came to defeat a Rye side who had only lost once in 17 matches.

Graham Morris headed Sidley into a seventh minute lead but it was wiped out seconds later by Duncan McArthur's screamer. Rye then went ahead in the 15th minute when Lewis Parsons was harshly judged to have fouled Shaun Loft in the area and former Sidley ace Peter Baker slotted home the penalty.

Sidley got back on level terms though with a penalty of their own when Kevin Rose was wrestled to the ground inside the area and Morris converted the spot kick before Blues got in front again when Mark Lynch scrambled home as Sidley led at the break.

In the second half, Rye struck again when Phil Rhodes headed home in the 64th minute but Sidley won it as first Matt Dadswell scored with a near post finish on 72 minutes and Jordan Wood bagged a stoppage time goal - before the referee found another 12 minutes to add on. But Sidley held on for an excellent and morale boosting win.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Parsons, Finch, Lynch, G Morris, Dadswell, Watson, J Wood (Antink), Rose, S Morris (Hole), Spreafico.

Hastings United 4 - 0 Sidley United - Hastings Senior Cup Semi Final - Tuesday 21st December 2004

Holders Sidley United were beaten away at their higher grade rivals which former Everton goalkeeper Neville Southall prepares to take charge of.

With Jimmy Watson rested the Blues lacked the ability to control the middle third and Hastings utilised the space they were afforded to good effect.

Sean Ray opened the scoring, heading in former Sidley man Russell Eldridge's corner on 13 minutes before Simon Rowland doubled their lead 7 minutes later. Receiving a throw with his back to goal, Rowland turned and struck an angled drive past Greg Thurstans in the Sidley goal and in off the far post.

Sidley created a few half opportunities either side of half time with Ian Oliver going closest but it was Hastings who struck again on 65 minutes as Chris Honey spring the offside trap and slotted through Thurstans' legs.

With 5 minutes to go Danny Ellis followed up after Honey's piledriver was parried as Hastings put the seal on the win.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Parsons (Antink), Finch, Dadswell (Whiteman), G Morris, Hole (Boyd), Ball, Lynch, Rose, Oliver, S Morris.

Westfield 0 - 2 Sidley United - John O Hara Cup Third Round - Saturday 18th December 2004

Sidley United saw off local rivals Westfield to progress to the next round of the John O Hara cup on Saturday.

But almost predictably the game wasn't without controversy when Sidley opened the scoring. A goal-less first half which produced little in which either side produced little in the way of attacking threat, was more notable for a spate of bad challenges which saw five players in total booked.

The second half though saw Sidley create some good moments but the key one was hotly contested by the home side. Rose, already on a booking, appeared to punch clear a corner in the 61st minute. But as the home side stood and protested, Jimmy Watson burst downfield and slotted past Peter Newstead to put the Blues in front.

An aggrireved Westfield though could count themselves lucky not to be down to 10 men when Andy Moore produced an eye cringing two-footed stamp on Jordan Wood which the referee didn't even deem worthy of a yellow card when many would have been showing the red.

Lewis Hole notched Sidley's second goal in the 83rd minute when he met Rose's cutback to set up a tie against East Grinstead Town in the next round.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Parsons, Finch, G Morris, Dadswell, Lynch, Watson, J Wood (Hole), Oliver, Rose (Boyd), Lister (S Morris).

Chichester City United 1 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 11th December 2004

A late Kevin Rose strike salvaged Sidley a point away to the defending league champions on Saturday.

Scott Tipper had given Chichester the lead when a shot took an unfortunate deflection off Owen Ball, forcing Newstead to parry the ball out where Tipper mopped up from close range.

Blues could have levelled before half time but Graham Morris had an effort cleared off the line before striking the crossbar with another. 

Sidley really took charge of the second half with Mark Lynch particularly impressive in the centre of midfield. However they had to wait until 2 minutes from the end for their reward as Rose controlled Jason Finch's cross from the left before firing home to ensure Sidley came away with a point.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Parsons, Finch, Ball, G Morris, Lynch, Dadswell, J Wood, Rose, Miles, Lister (Oliver).

Sidley United 2 - 5 Horsham YMCA - SCFL Division One - Saturday 4th December 2004

Sidley United were comfortably beaten by the league leaders who went 13 points clear at the top following this win.

Ally Russell gave the visitors the lead on the half hour mark as he beat the Blues goalkeeper to Liam Ahearne's long ball forward to head into the empty net. And Blues went in at the break 2 down as a neat move down the right saw the ball fall to Clinton Moore who lashed the ball home with a clinical finish.

Russell grabbed his second with another stunning finish on 57 minutes as he cut inside and unleashed an effort from 30 yards which flew into the back of the net.

Sidley could have collapsed at this point but instead got themselves right back into it with 2 quick goals. On 61 minutes Kevin Rose's shot was parried and Keith Miles rifled the ball home before Rose headed home at the far post to make Horsham a little nervous. 

But on 77 minutes a long ball forward allowed Moore to run onto it and finish smartly before he wrapped up the scoring with his hat-trick goal 5 minutes later with a curling strike from the edge of the area.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Parsons, G Morris, Rose, Finch (Harrison), Wood, Watson, S Morris, Lister, Miles, Oliver (Boyd).

Sidley United 0 - 9 Brighton & Hove Albion Reserves - Sussex Senior Cup - Wednesday 1st December 2004

It was a night to remember but also a night to forget as Sidley United exited the Sussex Senior Cup with a heavy defeat, albeit to a strong Brighton & Hove Albion reserve side.

The tie was a highlight for the club and the healthy attendance of 510 will have helped to swell the coffers as well. 

Brighton fielded a strong side with 8 players having enjoyed experience with the first team but Sidley will feel that too many goals were given away softly.

The visitors were five goals up within half an hour as former Athletico Madrid player Mahela Molango and Jake Robinson bagged two goals apiece with the other coming from Hastings based Dean Hammond.

The pick of the bunch was undoubtedly Robinson's second when the youngster delightfully chipped Greg Thurstans from outside the penalty area. 

Further goals were added by Molango who bagged another three on 59, 74 and 80 minutes while Robinson got his hat-trick goal on 54 minutes. However Greg Thurstans did made a couple of fine stops towards the end to prevent the score reaching double figures.

Whilst not the result Sidley would have hoped for, it was a rare and pleasurable experience for all involved at the club to witness the high quality visitors up close. However, on the field, Sidley must put the result behind them and focus on getting back to winning ways when they return to league action on Saturday.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Parsons, Finch (Oliver), Lister, G Morris, S Morris (Weston), Watson, J Wood (Boyd), Rose, Miles, Hole.

Pagham 1 - 4 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 27th November 2004

Keith Miles bagged his first hat trick for Sidley United as they enjoyed an excellent win away at Pagham.

Miles defied the critics who claim that at almost 37 he is too old for County League football to give Blues the lead when he worked half a yard of space for the opening goal in the 40th minute but Pagham equalised in the first minute of the second period through Jordan Willis following hesitation on the part of Sidley goalkeeper Greg Thurstans.

Miles though headed Sidley back in front 12 minutes later following a corner before Pagham's Lee Stevens was shown a straight red card for a late tackle on Graham Morris. With a man advantage, Miles completed his hat trick with a left foot finish two minutes from time and Ian Oliver grabbed the fourth in stoppage time as Sidley moved out of the relegation zone. 

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Parsons, Finch (Hole), Ball (Oliver), G Morris, S Morris, Watson, J Wood, Rose, Miles (Boyd), Lister.

Sidley United 1 - 2 Littlehampton Town - SCFL Division One - Saturday 20th November 2004

Sidley United put up a valiant effort against a Littlehampton Town side packed with players of higher level experience but in the end they fell just short of getting anything from the game.

Littlehampton fielded former Eastbourne Borough captain Daren Pearce amongst their side which contained several other players who have plyed their trade at a higher level and that perhaps just made the difference.

Sidley took the lead from the penalty spot in the 32nd minute when Steve Morris released Keith Miles who was brought down in the area with Miles stepping up himself to convert the spot kick.

The Blues could have gone in 2 - 0 up at the break but Graham Morris' header from a corner was cleared off the line.

After the interval though the visitors upped their tempo and Sidley found it harder and harder to get away from their own box. Eventually the pressure told as Clinton Moore struck an angled drive in the 53rd minute to equalise. Littlehampton then took the lead on 73 minutes as Paul Williams' free kick took a wicked deflection to deceive Greg Thurstans in the Sidley goal and ensure the away side took all three points.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Parsons, Finch, Ball, G Morris, S Morris, Watson, J Wood (Oliver), Rose, Miles, Hole.

Sidley United 2 - 1 Redhill - John O Hara Cup - Saturday 13th November 2004

Sidley United progressed to the next round of the John O Hara cup with a home win against Redhill.

Kevin Rose got the Blues off to a perfect start after only 4 minutes. A short corner saw the ball played in to Rose who volleyed home.

Redhill gradually worked their way into the game, hitting the crossbar and forcing Greg Thurstans into a smart save before the break. 

Blues doubled their lead just 47 seconds into the second period as Steve Morris crossed for cousin Graham Morris to convert a simple chance.

Redhill were offered a route back into the match on 60 minutes as Justin Jones won a penalty after being challenged by Owen Ball and then stepped up to convert. However despite a frantic last half hour, they couldn't force an equaliser while at the other end Rose, Ball and Jordan Wood all went close for Sidley.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Parsons, Finch, Ball, G Morris, Lister (Hole), Watson, S Morris, J Wood, Miles, Rose (Oliver).

Eastbourne Town 3 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 10th November 2004

Sidley United ended the match with 10 men as they were beaten at near neighbours Eastbourne Town in a game with more than 1 controversial moment.

Keith Miles was shown a red card in the 25th minute while the scoreline was still goalless. It was actually Miles who was brought down by Town defender Lee Walsh but Miles foolishly reacted by throwing the ball at the back of his opponent, prompting the referee to show him the red card for violent conduct.

And Sidley were made to suffer as Shaun Loft headed the home side into a two goal lead before half time. Lewis Hole did have a good chance for Sidley to score when he was clean through on goal but he dragged his effort wide of the post.

Kevin Rose pulled a goal back for the Blues when he headed home Jordan Wood's cross before Blues were killed off in the final quarter of an hour. Steve Dallaway appeared to be in an offside position but the flag didn't come to the Sidley defence's rescue and Dallaway scored to put the result beyond doubt.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Parsons, Finch (Oliver), Ball, G Morris, Hole (Lister), Watson, S Morris, J Wood (Boyd), Miles, Rose.

Sidley United 1 - 1 Three Bridges - SCFL Division One - Saturday 6th November 2004

Sidley United emerged from this encounter with a point but it will feel like another 2 points dropped against a side in the bottom three.

Second bottom Bridges came to Gullivers looking to inflict further pain on the home side after their abject defeat to basement side Sidlesham the previous week. However Sidley showed character and a desire to work hard in this game and that must augur well for the battles ahead.

The visitors took the lead on 32 minutes through Pat Massaro's penalty after Kevin Rose held down his man in the area at a corner and the referee awarded the spot kick before the ball arrived into the goalmouth.

Jordan Wood had an effort hacked off the line as Sidley went close before half time but it was the second half where they really found another gear. With Jimmy Watson controlling the midfield, Sidley were able to push further forward and Rose went close with a header before Wood had another attempt cleared off the goal-line.

But Sidley weren't to be denied and five minutes from time Graham Morris struck with a header from 12 yards from cousin Steve's free kick to ensure Sidley went home with a point.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Parsons, Finch, Ball, G Morris, Lister (Hole), Watson, S Morris, Rose, Miles, J Wood.

Sidlesham 2 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 30th October 2004

Sidley United slumped to defeat against the basement side on Saturday, missing the opportunity to move further clear of the bottom three.

A goal-less first half reflected a lack of quality from both sides in the first half, with Sidlesham perhaps creating the more opportunities but being denied by their own poor finishing rather than the Sidley goalkeeper.

After the break though the hosts' Sid Sanderson did take the chances they created. First he converted on 47 minutes after a low corner from the left wasn't cleared, allowing him to finsih at the near post before the second was presented to him when Graham Morris failed to make contact when attempting to clear the ball on the hour mark.

Sidley looked far more menacing after the double substitution of Kevin Rose and Lewis Hole coming on and it was Rose who halved the arrears with an 86th minute volley before the same player went close to snatching a point with a cleve near post flick a minute later.

However, Sidley wouldn't have really deserved a draw out of this game and they will have to respond with better performances than this if they are to stay out of the bottom three.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Parsons, Finch (Hole), Ball, G Morris, White, Watson, S Morris (Rose), J Wood (Boyd), Miles, Harrison.

Sidley United 2 - 2 East Grinstead Town - SCFL Division One - Saturday 23rd October 2004

Sidley United came twice from behind to salvage a point against East Grinstead Town.

The visitors made the perfect start, taking the lead after just 4 minutes. A quickly taken free kick was played down the right and the resulting cross into the box was headed home from 15 yards by Chris Arrow.

The rest of the first half was an even affair on a very wet pitch although neither side created many clear opportunities. Keith Miles had the best effort for the Blues, firing wide when left unmarked.

But early in the second half Sidley levelled when on 52 minutes Steve Morris' shot was pushed out by the goalkeeper as far as Ben White who netted the rebound.

On 77 minutes the visitors went back in front when a cross from the left was headed home by Ben Brockbank but Sidley levelled again just 4 minutes later as Kevin Rose found the bottom corner from 20 yards to ensure Sidley took a point. Sidley did have Greg Thurstans to thank for a stunning acrobatic save 5 minutes from time to keep out Ben Brockbank's looping header which had seemed destined for the top corner.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Parsons, Finch (Harrison), Ball, G Morris, White, Watson, S Morris, Wood (Rose), Miles, Lister.

Arundel 1 - 3 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 16th October 2004

Sidley United came from behind to claim an impressive win which moved them up to 11th in the table thanks to a stunning second half performance.

Chas Lister fired wide from close range before Steve Morris and Jimmy Watson were both denied and Jordan Wood failed to make the most of a one on one situation.

And they were made to pay for those missed chances when an Arundel free kick was powerfully delivered and Andy Boxall headed home.

A few choice words at the interval seemd to galvanize Sidley with Watson in particular seeming inspirational in the middle of the field.

The equaliser came on 55 minutes when a neat move involving Jason Finch, Ben White and Lewis Hole ended with Lister firing past the stranded goalkeeper.

A quarter of an hour later Watson was poleaxed in the penalty area and White made no mistake with the resulting spot kick. Hole then made certain of the win with 8 minutes remaining, letting fly in stunning style from 25 yards.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Parsons, Ball, G Morris, Finch, White, Watson, S Morris, Lister, Wood (Hole), Miles (Rose).

Eastbourne United Association 2 - 3 Sidley United (AET) - Sussex Senior Cup First Round - Tuesday 12th October 2004

This Sussex Senior Cup tie had it all; five goals, a rash of cards and even a 37 minute delay which meant that after extra time the match finished finally at 10.50pm as Sidley set up a potential money spinning tie against Brighton & Hove Albion Reserves in the next round.

The tie got off to a difficult start when in the first minute, assistant referee Jean Billings slipped while running and an ambulance had to be called to the ground. After the lengthy delay Sidley got back into the swing of things after 5 minutes of play, taking the lead when Keith Miles headed home a corner.

Eastbourne levelled on 31 minutes as a cross found the head of Steve Prodger but Sidley went back in front 60 seconds into the second half when Ben White stood the ball up for Steve Morris to seal a flowing move.

Closing in on a vital win though referee Darren Eaton, who had made a number of bizarre decisions for both sides throughout the evening, made himself the villain as he awarded Eastbourne a last minute penalty for handball despite it being an Eastbourne player who handled.

This sparked massive complaints from the Sidley players, with four booked as well as joint managers Andy Laskey and Peter Heritage dismissed for arguing vociferously. When the game restarted, former Blue Scott McDonald made no mistake from the spot and forced extra time.

But it was Sidley who had the final word when in the final minutes of the match Ben White bundled the ball home and put Sidley through to the next round and a mouth watering home tie.

Sidley Team: Parker-Read (Thurstans), Parsons, Finch (Hole), White, Ball, G Morris, Watson, S Morris, J Wood, Miles (Rose), Harrison.

Sidley United 2 - 0 Worthing United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 9th October 2004

Sidley United emerged victorious from this lunchtime encounter to breathe new life into their difficult season. 

Blues came into the game having shipped 15 goals in three games but some of those demons can be forgotten after an improved display and a much desired clean sheet, albeit against a Worthing United side who turned in a very poor display. 

The defence was boosted by the returning Owen Ball and debutant goalkeeper Allan Parker-Read enjoyed a relatively comfortable afternoon.

10 minutes in, Sidley took the lead when Worthing goalkeeper Dean Fuller spilled a corner under pressure from Lee Wood and Keith Miles drove the ball over the heads of two defenders on the goal-line.

Steve Morris' cross from the left led to Miles getting Sidley's second 10 minutes from time as he hooked the ball over his head whilst lying on the ground from a yard out having headed the awkward initial chance into the turf.

Worthing's goal threat became less and less after this although a couple of half chances could have been taken on another day.

Sidley Team: Parker-Read, Parsons, Ball, White, L Wood, Ward (Harrison), Watson, S Morris, J Wood, Miles (Trickett), G Morris.

Sidley United 0 - 3 Hailsham Town - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 5th October 2004

A last half hour collapse condemned Sidley United to a home defeat to near rivals Hailsham Town on Tuesday.

The Blues were marginally the better side during the first hour but fell apart when they went behind on 63 minutes with confidence appearing to drain away from the players.

Although effort and desire was an improvement from Saturday's horror defeat at home to Chichester, the Blues still need to find more in themselves if they are to climb the table.

They had a golden chance to take the lead in the first half but a clean through Lee Wood was denied by a diving stop from visiting goalkeeper Mark Oldroyd and they were made to pay in the final 30 minutes.

Tobi Hutchinson's cross from the left was turned in at the back post by Peter Cooper at the back post before the second went in on 69 minutes as Hutchinson's cross seemed to strike Graham Morris around a yard out before trickling over the line.

The third also stemmed from a cross from the left, this time by Ashley Jarvis which Simon Stephens eventually thumped into the net from 25 yards after Thurstan's mis-timed punch.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Parsons, Finch, White, L Wood, Ward (Trickett), Watson, S Morris (Rose), J Wood, Miles, G Morris.

Sidley United 1 - 8 Chichester City United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 2nd October 2004

It was an embarrassing day at the Gullivers as Sidley United were hammered by last season's champions Chichester City United.

By their own admission, Sidley will accept this was their worst performance of the season as they couldn't get near the visiting players all afternoon.

16 minutes elapsed before the West Sussex side got the opening goal as Scott Murfin got the better of Lee Wood and poked past Thurstans before two strikes within three minutes on the half hour mark from Paul Thomas and Olamide Dedegbe effectively killed off the contest.

Russell Hardwell slammed home a fourth goal from the angle of the box following a short corner as Sidley's afternoon got worse and worse. At the start of the second half, Keith Miles pushed back into the midfield and Sidley did start to play some football with Dave Ward striking the angle of post and bar within two minutes of the restart but it proved not long before the defence was opened up again.

Dedegbe on 63 minutes and Murfin on 68 put the visitors 6 goals to the good before Sidley did register through Billy Trickett on 73 minutes when he tapped home following up Ward's parried shot.

But Chichester kept coming and two more strikes from Roger Moore added insult to injury as Sidley suffered a nightmare afternoon.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, G Morris, Finch, White (Henchy), L Wood, Ward, Watson, S Morris, J Wood, Miles, Hole (Trickett).

Moneyfields 4 - 1 Sidley United - FA Vase - Saturday 25th September 2004

After last year's excellent performance in the competition, Sidley United exited the FA Vase this season with little more than a whimper.

There was little sign of the demise that would ensue though during an evenly matched first half. Sidley fell behind on 20 minutes after Jordan Wood conceded a throw in and three passes later Chandler converted.

United retaliated swiftly when Steve Morris smashed a free kick from the edge of the area into the net four minutes later.

But three minutes into the second half Moneyfields retook the lead in spectacular style as Gavin Jones fired home splendidly on the turn.

Things went from bad to worse as Danny Horrell struck on 59 minutes and Singh grabbed a fourth on 70 to put the Wessex League side into the next round.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Parsons, Finch (Dadswell), L Wood, Ball, G Morris, Watson, S Morris, J Wood (Boyd), Harrison (Trickett).

Sidley United 2 - 2 Eastbourne United Association - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 21st September 2004

Jordan Wood bagged a brace as Sidley claimed a draw against a very strong Eastbourne United side.

With his confidence up following his goal on Saturday, Wood buzzed around from the start and he fired Sidley into a sixth minute lead, cutting in from the right and firing into the net.

Sidley could certainly consider themselves to be fortunate in the first half as Eastbourne hit the woodwork four times and had a blatant penalty turned down.

However they weren't so lucky in the build up to the two goals the visitors scored through Mark Warren on 34 and Andy Atkin on 45 minutes as on both occasions Sidley felt that a visiting player was offside. 

However Sidley got themselves into the ascendancy in the second half and Wood finally managed to level the scores with 5 minutes to go, finishing off a smart passing move involving several Blues players.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Parsons, Finch (Trickett), L Wood, Ball, Hole, G Morris, Watson, S Morris, Heritage (White), J Wood.

Sidley United 2 - 1 Southwick - SCFL Division One - Saturday 18th September 2004

Sidley United began their campaign at home with a win as they beat Southwick thanks to goals from Steve Morris and Jordan Wood.

Owen Ball and Lee Wood formed a strong central partnership at the back and this was the basis for Sidley to go on and take charge of the game and they grabbed an early goal.

Graham Morris unleashed a scorching shot which Wood got a touch to on its way into the net. But Sidley then gave away a silly goal when Jimmy Watson's pass was intercepted by the referee and there passes later Jon Donaghue was in the clear to finish beyond Greg Thurstans in the Sidley goal, although Blues felt they had a strong case for offside against the Southwick striker.

However they could forget that grievance when with 20 minutes to go Morris half volleyed Chas Lister's cross into the net to give Blues a first league win of the season.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Finch, Parsons, L Wood, Ball, Lynch, G Morris, Watson, Lister, S Morris (Heritage), J Wood (Boyd).

Whitehawk 6 - 1 Sidley United - SCFA RUR Cup First Round - Tuesday 14th September 2004

Sidley United made life more comfortable for their hosts than they would have liked on Tuesday as they gifted 2 goals in the first 6 minutes on route to exiting the SCFA RUR Cup. 

The nightmare start began when Owen Ball impeded his man in the area needlessly and Ashley Carr made no mistake from the spot. Minutes later Blues' goalkeeper Greg Thurstans raced off his line but failed to make contact with the ball, leaving Tommy Pattenden a simple tap in.

Carr rolled Lee Wood to stroke in the third on 15 minutes and the tie was then effectively over. A shell shocked Sidley conceded a fourth when Andy Beech converted before the interval.

Sidley were a lot better in the second half and Keith Miles pulled a goal back from the penalty spot but Blues conceded a fifth despite a blatant offside being missed by the linesman who was busy talking to the Whitehawk bench.

The sixth goal arrived six minutes from time as Pattenden completed the scoring and ended Sidley hopes of silverware in this competition. 

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Parsons, Hole, L Wood, Ball, Trickett (J Wood), Ward, Watson, S Morris, Miles (C Morris), Lister.

Redhill 4 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 11th September 2004

Sidley United went down to a new look Redhill side who have inherited a new manager and a raft of Ryman League players on Saturday. 

Although Sidley can feel aggrieved after a big call went in the home side's favour as their goalkeeper handled outside the penalty area with the score goalless but the referee chose to only brandish a yellow card as a result.

Ringmer took the lead in comical fashion as Blues' goalkeeper Greg Thurstans allowed the ball to slip out of his grasp and over the line.

The Blues were poor in the second half and Ringmer struck two almost identical goals in quick succession to put the game out of reach. First a cross from the left allowed Bigger to convery before a similar move saw Jenns apply the final touch.

Sidley did get a goal back when Keith Miles netted with a hooked finish but the hosts wrapped up the game in the final minute through Bracken on the break.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, G Morris, Finch (Trickett), L Wood, Dadswell, Lynch, Ward, Ball, S Morris (Parsons), Miles, Harrison.

Wealden 1 - 2 Sidley United - John O Hara Cup First Round - Saturday 4th September 2004

Sidley United negotiated a potential banana skin as they overcame Division Two side Wealden to reach the next round of the John O Hara cup.

The Blues' line up featured six players aged 21 or under and included two debutants.

Things didn't start well though for the Blues as Sidley fell behind to a soft goal on 14 minutes from Manton. They hit back though through Richard Harrison's rasping drive 10 minutes later.

Sidley then took the lead just before half time when Karl Tarrant flicked on to Graham Morris who touched the ball home and Sidley controlled the match thereafter to win.

The avalanche of late pressure from the home side never materialised and Sidley booked their place in the second round where they will face either St Francis Rangers or Redhill.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Finch, Fletcher, L Wood, Dadswell, Lynch, Trickett (Parsons), G Morris, Myall, Tarrant (Heritage), Harrison.

East Preston 2 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 28th August 2004

Sidley United claimed a point from an amazing match at East Preston which included four penalties with one contentiously retaken.

Blues also lost three players to injury in the first half including Ben White after just a few minutes. Despite this though Karl Tarrant struck after just 5 minutes to give the Blues the lead.

Sidley were then awarded the first of the spot kicks after 25 minutes when Dave Ward was tripped up just inside the area and Graham Morris converted to double Sidley's lead.

Keith Miles had to be substituted when his calf flared up before East Preston pulled a goal back through Jim Smith although Wiley in the Sidley goal felt he was impeded.

East Preston were then awarded a spot kick although no-one was quite sure what for but Wiley demonstrated his prowess at saving them to keep Blues in front.

But the home side were awarded another penalty which led to yet more controversy. Wiley saved the effort only for the referee to penalise him for 'encroaching' and so ordered a retake. Sure enough East Preston changed the taker and Josh Biggs tucked the ball into the corner.

Sidley felt further aggrieved as they felt they should have been awarded another penalty when Tarrant appeared to be ruthlessly taken out but the referee was unmoved with that appeal. 

Despite also losing Dave Ward to injury, Sidley could take heart from the performance and ultimately the result given the circumstances.

Sidley Team: Wiley, G Ball, Morris, White (Trickett), Fletcher, Dadswell, Ward (Parsons), Woods, Miles (Myall), Tarrant, Harrison.

Hassocks 4 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 21st August 2004

It was a disappointing result at Hassocks for the Blues as an early lead turned into defeat.

Sidley took the lead as a ball forward saw hesitancy in dealing with it between the defender and goalkeeper and Steve Morris nipped in to score with ease. However James Laing levelled for the home side four minutes later in similar circumstances, beating Lee Wood and Ben White to score.

Both defences appeared suspect and Blues had further chances but it was the home side who struck next with 2 quick goals. A free kick into the box led to a collision between Blues goalkeeper Rob Wiley and a home forward and as the ball dropped Pat Harding turned the ball home.

Wiley picked up an injury in that incident and received lengthy treatment. But barely a minute later a shot came in from distance from Harding which the struggling Wiley couldn't get down to save.

Clearly needing to come off it was physio Adie Lusted who replaced him between the posts. Up against it and highly inexperienced, Lusted held his own until the 80th minute when he dropped a shot at the feet of Laing who tucked home Hassocks' fourth.

But Sidley grabbed a goal themselves when a ball into the box was twice blocked before Dan Woods finally got the ball over the line for his first goal in senior football.

Sidley Team: Wiley (Lusted), Fletcher, Ball, White, L Wood, Dadswell (J Wood), Ward, Watson, S Morris, Rose, Harrison (Woods).

Ringmer 1 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 17th August 2004

Sidley United picked up their first point of the season but it could have been three as Ringmer struck an 84th minute equaliser. 

However given the extraordinary incident which denied Ringmer a 60th minute lead perhaps the Blues should be thankful for the point.

After a goalless first half the major talking point came when Dominic Sheperd rounded Rob Wiley and slotted home but Sidley players swarmed around the referee claiming the ball went through a hole in the net. The claims were upheld and the goal was chalked off. 

And Sidley then went in front when Ben White clipped a lovely ball into the box and Dave Ward snuck in round the back to slot the ball into the far corner on 79 minutes.

Getting close to victory, Sidley were unable to hold on and when Chris Johnson's misdirected shot fell to Andy Agutter, the Ringmer man made no mistake, tapping home to ensure a draw.

Sidley Team: Wiley, G Morris, Ball, White, L Wood, Dadswell, Ward, Watson, S Morris (Rose), Miles (J Wood), O'Callaghan.

Horsham YMCA 2 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 14th August 2004

Sidley United began the season with a defeat at Horsham YMCA after a late goal won the game for the home side.

It was a good start for the Blues as first Micky O'Callaghan threatened early on with a free kick and then a shot which went straight at the home goalkeeper before Steve Morris went close.

But it was Horsham who went ahead in the 34th minute. Nick Flint fed Joel O'Hara who finished emphatically past Rob Wiley in the Sidley goal.

Sidley responsed positively and were level just before the break as Jimmy Watson took a pass from O'Callaghan before placing his shot inside the near post.

The home side were better after the break and created a couple of good opportunities, hitting the side net before they won a penalty. Flint stepped up to take it but Wiley guessed correctly and palmed the ball to safety.

However Horsham won the game with 6 minutes to go as substitute James Bird's surging run found James Grant who just beat Flint to the ball to send the ball into the net and seal the win.

Sidley Team: Wiley, G Morris, Ball, White, L Wood, Day, Ward, Watson, S Morris (Rose), Miles (J Wood), O'Callaghan.

Sponsor & Advertising

Sidley Team 2022/23

Click on Matchday programme to see all of our Sponsorship & advertising opportunities for 2023/24Join us on Facebook