Reports from Sidley United's seasons in the Sussex County Football League

Season 2009/10


Loxwood 0 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 1st May 2010

Promotion was achieved at Loxwood as Sidley United claimed a precious win thanks to Jack Franklin's terrific second half free kick. With rivals Little Common kicking off an hour before them, Blues knew that they needed just a point to clinch promotion but they took care of business themselves with a solid defensive display, capped by Franklin's quality strike from just outside the area.

The fifth placed home side shaded the first half hour before Sidley got to grips with their hosts and had the better of the final 20 minutes of the first half. Jason Taylor twice miscued from decent positions although in truth chances at either end were limited.

Dual registered centre backs Nathan Russell and Rhys Whybourne came in for the suspended Kevin Rose and Danny Spice and their calmness helped the Blues snuff out a Loxwood side who are dangerous from set pieces. 

The home side had a decent effort early in the second half as Damon Aston fired an angled drive just wide of the far post. But on 57 minutes Franklin hit a free kick right into the top corner to settle Sidley. After that the Loxwood goalkeeper appeared on a single handed mission to deny Sidley the second goal, first keeping out a looping header from Zac McEniry before touching a Kenny Pogue effort onto the bar. 

However the fact that the goal didn't come mattered little in the end. A long distance effort was all that Sidley goalkeeper Harry Killick had to worry about as Blues clinched promotion to Division One next term.

Sidley Team: Killick, Kelly, Rea, Russell, Whybourne, Franklin, Taylor, Maclean, McMinigal (Elliott-Noye), Barden (McEniry), Pogue. 

Southwick 1 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Tuesday 27th April 2010

Sidley put themselves within touching distance of promotion with a hard fought victory at Southwick. Matt Maclean grabbed the all important goals for the Blues who had to overcome a contentious penalty to seal the win.

Nathan Russell made an assured debut for the Blues having signed on a dual registration basis from Hastings United and although Sidley were missing Chris Agutter, Kevin Rose and Danny Spice they still played some food football on a very poor pitch. 

It was a good performance from the Blues in all areas of the pitch except for the crucial area - in front of goal - as they missed a hatful of chances before Maclean finally gave the Blues the lead when he converted Kenny Pogue's pullback. They should have been out of sight as they repeatedly got in on goal with Jason Taylor especially getting a lot of joy down the right. 

Despite being completely outplayed, Southwick were awarded a rather incredible penalty for handball when an effort was blasted straight at Russell from next to no distance and Ryan Walton duly tucked it home to make Sidley nerves jangle.

But Maclean struck again from the edge of the area in the second half to take the points although they had to withstand the pressure that came with several long throws late on. Sidley travel to Loxwood on Saturday needing just a point to make sure of promotion to Division One.

Sidley Team: Killick, Cody, Rea, Russell, Kelly, Franklin (McEniry), Taylor, Day, Maclean, McMinigal (Elliott-Noye), Pogue. 

Littlehampton Town 0 - 7 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 24th April 2010

It was an excellent afternoon for the Blues as they crushed Littlehampton Town to give a timely boost to their promotion chances whilst rivals Little Common were held to a draw at home by Worthing United.

The first half was quite tight and Littlehampton, who won the Division Two challenge Cup a few weeks ago, were unlucky not to score when a long range shot cannoned back off the crossbar. But 6 minutes before half time Jason Taylor put Sidley in front with a drilled finish from the edge of the area after a corner was partially cleared.

10 minutes after the break Kevin Rose, playing his last game of the season before his suspension comes into effect, made it 2 - 0 with a clever flicked finish from 25 yards and Matt Maclean bagged 2 quick goals, first tapping home McMinigal's cross from the left before beating a couple of defenders and firing home.

The floodgates opened at this point as Taylor cut in from the right to add another before 2 more goals from substitute Kenny Pogue sealed a tremendous win and put the Blues within sight of promotion.

An excellent win and a healthy boost to the goal difference which is almost worth an additional point to Sidley at this late stage of the season who are now 2 points clear of Little Common with a much better goal difference.

Sidley Team: Killick, Cody, Kelly, Spice, Rea, Taylor, Day, Franklin, McMinigal (Elliott-Noye), Maclean (Barden), Rose (Pogue). 

Westfield 1 - 3 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Tuesday 20th April 2010

The race for promotion is back in Sidley United's hands after they came from behind to beat Westfield on a night when main rivals Little Common lost to Rye United. 

Kevin Rose was pushed up front as Sidley knew that victory was a must and that gave the forward line a more robust look but early on Matt Maclean and Rose wasted glorious opportunities. Matt Dadswell almost gave Westfield the lead but his flashing drive went wide.

But the Blues fell behind just before half time as a long kick upfield from goalkeeper Dan Foster came to Sam Smith who flicked cleverly home. Manager John Lambert kicked a few items and gave the team some strong words, sending them out early for the second half and they were a completely different proposition in the second 45 minutes.

They levelled within a minute as Foster seemed to be blinded by the sun as he failed to hold onto Rose's header from a corner and Maclean followed up the rebound to draw Sidley level. The Blues then took the lead with a thumping finish from Jason Taylor.

The increased tempo from the Blues wasn't able to be maintained throughout the half and Westfield might have levelled through David Miller. However Kenny Pogue settled matters in stoppage time as he finished into the corner from the tightest of angles to make sure of the points.

With their win and Little Common's defeat, Sidley leapfrog their rivals to regain third place on goal difference ahead of the final 3 games. Whilst Common cannot be promoted due to their ground not being eligible for Division One, they can stop the Blues who can but Sidley now know that their destiny is in their own hands.

Sidley Team: Killick, Cody (Pogue), Kelly, Spice, Rea, Franklin, Taylor, Agutter, Maclean, McMinigal, Rose.

Sidley United 1 - 2 Rustington - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 17th April 2010

Promotion is now out of Sidley United's hands after they suffered a surprise loss against Rustington.

In a game played at Bexhill United's Polegrove ground, Sidley put in a disappointing performance but not before they took the lead after 6 minutes as Kevin Barden set up Adam Day to head home - his second headed goal in as many games.

But the Blues missed a catalogue of chances to put the game beyond Rustington's reach as Kenny Pogue pulled his shot wide before he then side footed another effort over from 15 yards. Jason Taylor also finished weakly while Jack Franklin fired over from less than 6 yards out.

But the Blues seemed to switch off at the back, allowing Rustington to strike back on 37 minutes as Sean Kelly's headed clearance dropped to Rob Butcher who unleashed a magnificent volley from just inside the area which flew into the top corner.

Sidley brought on Chris Agutter for Kelly at half time and switched to a 3-5-2 formation but it failed to help them take their chances. Barden should have done better with a free header from Jack Franklin's free kick and Agutter clipped the top of the crossbar. 

Moments later Rustington took the lead as Chris Darwin turned Kevin Rose before guiding the ball past Harry Killick in the Sidley goal. After that the away side got men behind the ball, content to hold onto what they had, and Sidley became increasingly desperate and although Franklin had three attempts on goal, none of them found their way past the visiting goalkeeper.

With Little Common winning Sidley now find themselves outside the top three and needing rivals to drop points if they are to finish in a promotion position at the end of the season.

Sidley Team: Killick, Kelly (Agutter), Rea, Spice, Rose, Franklin, Taylor, Maclean, Day, Barden (McEniry), Pogue.

Sidley United 2 - 1 Bexhill United - Hastings FA Senior Cup Final - Tuesday 13th April 2010

Sidley United clinched the Hastings FA Senior Cup with victory over neighbours Bexhill United on Tuesday night at Gullivers on Tuesday night.

Both sides made a number of changes to their regular line ups with the local competition playing second fiddle to both sides' respective promotion pushes. The Blues made the better start and opened the scoring after just 4 minutes as Adam Day scored with a rare header.

But the visitors finished the half strongly and they levelled on 35 minutes after Zac McEniry's clearance cannoned back off Will Dunstall and fell kindly for him to slot past Harry Killick to draw Bexhill level.

The second half saw Sidley get more on top and they came out deserved winners thanks to Chris Agutter's strike on the hour mark when he tappe home after Bexhill goalkeper Joe Rogers had parried out a shot from Matt Maclean.

The Blues were in control after the goal and played some decent football although the killer pass let often let them down. However, they saw out the game and lifted the trophy for local bragging rights before attention swiftly turned to the big league games that lie ahead as they battle to secure Division One football next season.

Sidley Team: Killick, Cody, Elliott-Noye, Kelly, McEniry, Franklin (Hill), Taylor, Agutter, Maclean, Day, Barden (Rose). 

Sidley United 5 - 0 Oakwood - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 10th April 2010

Allan McMinigal scored an absolute stunner as Sidley United cruised to victory over Oakwood on Saturday.

The visitors came out positively in the first half on a bumpy and bobbly surface but the Blues took the lead through Matt Maclean's 8th goal of the season 10 minutes before half time. 

After the interval it was Sidley who flew out of the traps and they scored twice within the opening minutes of the half, firstly through Kevin Rose before Maclean got his second of the game. After those goals went in the game was effectively over as a contest and the Blues confidence soared, enabling them to play some attractive football.

McMinigal then scored what manager John Lambert described as "probably the best goal I've ever seen" when he met a long diagonal ball with a first time volley from outside the penalty area which flashed past the visiting goalkeeper and into the top corner of the net.

Kevin Barden finished off the scoring as Sidley actually gained an extra goal advantage over rivals Little Common who won 5 - 1 at home to bottom club Midhurst & Easebourne.

Sidley Team: Killick, Kelly (Cody), Rea, Spice, Rose, Maclean, Taylor (Elliott-Noye), Franklin (Day), McMinigal, Barden, Pogue.

Little Common 3 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Monday 5th April 2010

Local rivals Little Common dented the Blues' promotion bid as Steve Morris bagged a hat-trick against his old club as Blues had Danny Spice sent off.

The game was played in strong windy conditions and the home side used the elements to their advantage in the first half well by hurling the ball into the box as often as possible. This tactic paid dividends after just 4 minutes when a corner was whipped in by Jared Lusted and Morris headed home.

Harry Killick in the Sidley goal had difficulty judging the flight of balls in the difficult conditions and he did well to prevent Lusted giving Common a 2 goal lead but he had no chance on 34 minutes as Morris grabbed his second with a well struck shot from the edge of the penalty area.

But after the break it was Sidley's turn to enjoy the benefits of the wind although unlike Common they didn't put enough balls into the box to really concern Common goalkeeper Richie Gray. However that changed on 70 minutes as Kevin Barden's ball in from the left got caught in the wind and drifted over Gray and into the net.

Moments later Jack Franklin drew Sidley level with a superb dipping free kick and he celebrated with the 'handcuffs' celebration with the Sidley contingent. With their tails up Sidley felt they could go on and get the win which would put them within touching distance of a promotion spot but they were derailed when Spice was shown a straight red card by referee Peter Lindsey - not for the first time - for a clattering challenge on Lewis Hole and with that the home side got back on top.

The winning goal came in the 86th minute as Lusted did well to cross and pick out the unmarked Morris who slammed home from 6 yards out. The Blues still may have clawed a draw out of the game but Allan McMinigal's stoppage time shot came back off the post and was deemed not to have crossed the line.

Blues had manager John Lambert shown a red card as the sides walked back to the changing rooms on a disappointing day which draws Little Common right into the mix for a top three spot come the end of the season.

Sidley Team: Killick, Kelly (Maclean), Rea, Spice, Rose, Franklin, Elliott-Noye, Agutter (McMinigal), Day, McEniry (Barden), Pogue.

Midhurst & Easebourne 0 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 3rd April 2010

Sidley United took a step closer to securing promotion with a win at bottom of the table side Midhurst & Easebourne. 

The Blues made three changes to the side that drew against Worthing United last week, with one of those being a first start in Sidley colours for central midfielder Jack Franklin. The home side battled hard but Sidley gradually got on top and took the lead after 20 minutes when Adam Day put Kenny Pogue through on ball and the striker slotted it away well for his 18th goal of the season.

The hosts had won 3 - 0 away at Westfield last week and are a much improved side from the one that lost 7 - 0 at Gullivers earlier in the season. Their main tactic here was to play a long ball over the top of the Blues defence but Sidley coped well and Harry Killick had only one difficult save to make throughout the contest.

Zac McEniry missed a glorious chance to double the lead on 75 minutes but just five minutes later Sidley made the game safe when Allan McMinigal crossed a low ball in which was turned into the net by a home defender under pressure from McEniry. 

After that the Blues saw out the game quite comfortably to seal another three points in the quest for promotion.

Sidley Team: Killick, Kelly, Elliott-Noye, Rea, Rose, Maclean (Taylor), Franklin, Agutter, Day, Barden (McMinigal), Pogue (McEniry). 

Sidley United 0 - 0 Worthing United - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 27th March 2010

Sidley United played out a goal-less draw with promotion rivals Worthing United but were thankful to goalkeeper Harry Killick for a second half penalty save.

In a tight game where both sides largely cancelled each other out, the big opportunity came in the 75th minute as the visitors were awarded a spot kick for an offence by Sean Kelly but just like Gavin Bourne did in the reverse match earlier in the season Killick brilliantly beat away Julian Curnow's low penalty.

After that Kevin Rose volleyed wide from an Adam Day free kick while Matt McLean jinked his way into a shooting position only to see his effort blocked. 

Prior to the penalty both defences were well on top with both teams only managing to create limited half chances, leaving Killick's save as the highlight of the match. 

Sidley Team: Killick, Kelly, Elliott-Noye, Rea, Rose, Day, Taylor (Franklin), Maclean, McMinigal, McEniry, Pogue (Barden). 

Sidley United 4 - 1 Steyning Town - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 20th March 2010

Sidley United continued their fine form with a routine win over relegation threatened Steyning Town on Saturday.

In a one sided first half Sidley struck through Zac McEniry after good work by Kenny Pogue who then got the second goal himself; his 17th strike of the season. 

Right at the start of the second half McEniry notched the third goal and Kevin Rose soon added the fourth as the Blues threatened to rack up the goals. 

A Steyning side which haven't won since mid November pulled a goal back from one of a number of decent corners although there was some doubt about whether the ball had crossed the line. 

Despite the three points, manager John Lambert may consider this something of a missed opportunity to boost the goal difference on an otherwise comfortable afternoon. 

Sidley Team: Killick, Kelly, Rea, Spice, Rose, Maclean, Taylor (Day), Agutter, Elliott-Noye (McMinigal), McEniry (Barden), Pogue. 

Sidley United 2 - 1 Seaford Town - SCFL Division Two - Tuesday 16th March 2010

10 man Sidley United went temporarily top of the table courtesy of Zac McEniry's stoppage time winner. 

The Blues opened the scoring slightly against the run of play after 17 minutes as Shae Whybourne played a brilliant diagonal pass out to Josh Elliott-Noye who in turn picked out Kevin Barden. Barden turned his man before placing an accurate strike out of the reach of visiting goalkeeper Sheldon Levett.

There was little goalmouth activity after that although both sides had strong penalty appeals waved away. But four minutes into the second half Seaford levelled the scores when Sidley goalkeeper Harry Killick came for a cross but didn't get there and the ball ricocheted into the net with Sean Breach taking the credit.

Six minutes later Chris Agutter was ridiculously sent off for a second yellow card but it looked like Sidley who had the extra man as they enjoyed the better of the next 25 minutes. Seaford did come close however through Scott Dartnell who struck the top of the crossbar before they also lost a man as Martin Eldridge was also shown a harsh second yellow card for a foul on Maclean near the corner flag.

And as the game approached injury time Sidley bagged what could turn out to be a pivotal goal. Maclean dispossessed Dartnell on the halfway line and drove forward nefore playing in McEniry. The substitute's initial shot was saved but he kept his nerve to convert the rebound and spark jubilant scenes around the ground.

With this win Sidley leapfrogged long time leaders Loxwood as well as Worthing United and Rye United to hit top spot although the latter can return to the summit with a win tomorrow night when they entertain Wealden.

Sidley Team: Killick, S Whybourne, Rea, Spice, Rose, Maclean, Taylor (Hesmer), Agutter, Elliott-Noye, Barden (McEniry), Pogue (Cody). 

Sidley United 2 - 1 Littlehampton Town - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 13th March 2010

A Matt Maclean double helped Sidley United to another three points as they saw off Littlehampton Town at Gullivers on Saturday. 

Boss John Lambert made several changes to the side that drew at home to Wealden on Tuesday night in a bid to add extra height to the team to counteract the danger Littlehampton posed at set pieces. 

The Blues took the lead after 10 minutes as Kevin Rose's defensive clearance was picked up first by Zac McEniry and then Kenny Pogue who fed the ball into the bath of Allan McMinigal who crossed superbly for Maclean to head home from 6 yards out.

The lead only lasted 8 minutes though as Matt Russell beat Blues captain Sean Kelly to a ball and he played in Barney Boutwood who slotted beyond Harry Killick to level the scores. Littlehampton then started to get on top which prompted Lambert to push an extra body into midfield and that change seemed to help the Blues and Pogue went close twice to giving them a half time lead.

Adam Day came on at half time on his 33rd birthday for Shae Whybourne who picked up an injury to a particularly delicate area and it took less than 3 minutes for Sidley to restore their lead. McMinigal's cross from the left found Maclean on the edge of the box and the midfielder took a touch before unleashing a strike which seemed to go through the away goalkeeper and into the roof of the net.

The hosts started to stroke the ball around well and had further chances trhough a good Chris Agutter strike before Rose hit the side netting when well placed. Killick was only required to make one fairly comfortable save from a Chris Hazell header as the Blues held on for an important win.

Sidley Team: Killick, S Whybourne (Day), Rea, Kelly, Rose, Maclean, Elliott-Noye, Agutter, McMinigal (Taylor), McEniry (Barden), Pogue. 

Sidley United 0 - 0 Wealden - SCFL Division Two - Tuesday 9th March 2010

Sidley United missed the chance to go second in the table as they were held at home to a goalless draw by Wealden. 

With Rye United in cup action, Sidley would actually have gone top had they won as Worthing United were beaten at Storrington on the same afternoon. John Lambert named an unchanged line up from the side that won at Storrington on Saturday and so regular starters Kevin Rose, Chris Agutter and Kenny Pogue had to make do with a place on the bench.

On a firm pitch both sides struggled to get the ball down but Wealden were quick to close Sidley down and deny them time and space to play in. As a result of that Sidley's goalscoring opportunities were limited and they failed to score for only the third time all season. Their best moment came in the second half when Chris Agutter struck the post from a free kick and Zac McEniry put the rebound over the crossbar.

At the other end Blues goalkeeper Harry Killick made a couple of routine saves on a relatively low key night as the Blues had to make do with a point.

Sidley Team: Killick, S Whybourne, Spice, Rea, Elliott-Noye, Day (Agutter), Taylor, Maclean, McMinigal, Barden (Pogue), McEniry (Rose). 

Storrington 0 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 6th March 2010

Sidley United continued their unbeaten away record with a workmanlike performance at Storrington on Saturday. 

With Kenny Pogue serving a one match ban Zac McEniry replaced him up front while Chris Rea came in for Rhys Whybourne who was required by parent club Hastings United. The Blues took just three minutes to open the scoring when an Adam Day corner eluded everyone and left back Josh Elliott-Noye stole in to nod home at the far post.

Sidley then doubled their lead 20 minutes later as Allan McMinigal hit an attempted cross which went over the head of the home goalkeeper to drop into the net. The Blues had a few other chances to further add to the scoreline in the first half but in the second they rather took their foot off the pedal.

McEniry did strike the post with a blinding volley and although Sidley always looked comfortable, Storrington did have a goal disallowed for offside.

Referee Peter Lindsey had sent off three Sidley players in his two previous matches in charge of the Blues but this time they didn't pick up a single booking and it was the home side who lost a man when Nathan Sleat was sent off for swearing at a linesman towards the end of the game.

Sidley Team: Killick, S Whybourne, Rea, Spice, Elliott-Noye, Day, Taylor (Cody), Maclean, McMinigal (Hesmer), Barden, McEniry. 

Sidley United 4 - 0 Southwick - SCFL Division Two - Tuesday 2nd March 2010

Sidley United recorded a comfortable win at home on Tuesday night but a little of the gloss was taken off the win by Danny Spice's injuy time red card.

The Blues went into the game with five players banned and handed a debut to Rhys Whybourne, signed on a dual registration basis from Hastings United. And they almost went ahead inside 10 minutes as Allan McMinigal struck the crossbar after good work by Jason Taylor and Kenny Pogue.

They only had to wait another five minutes to open their account for the afternoon as Kevin Barden punished a mistake by Dan Rahaman with an accurate low drive into the far bottom corner. Despite being in control, Sidley almost conceded a shock equaliser but Neil Harris failed to hit the target with a free header.

Sidley went in at the break two goals to the good as McMinigal tucked away a penalty after Taylor's run was illegally halted inside the area although Southwick rattled the crossbar with a deflected free kick just before the interval.

The Blues made the game safe on 50 minutes as Taylor got down the right hand side and crossed for Pogue to fire home. Rahaman appeared fortunate to only receive a yellow card when he pulled down the clean through Pogue but he was shown a second yellow card in the 77th minute for a foul on Sam Hesmer to leave the visitors to face the final minutes with just 10 men.

Sidley took advantage a minute later as Matt Maclean rounded off the scoring as he converted Whybourne's ball into the box. But then came Spice's dismissal when already on a booking, he dived in needlessly and caught an opponent, earning himself a second yellow card.

Sidley Team: Killick, S Whybourne (Cody), Elliott-Noye, Spice, R Whybourne, Day, Taylor, Maclean (Hill), McMinigal, Barden (Hesmer), Pogue. 

Eastbourne Borough 8 - 1 Sidley United - Sussex Senior Cup Third Round - Tuesday 23rd February 2010

Sidley United put up a brave showing against a strong Borough side as they exited the Sussex Senior Cup.

The Blues began slowly though against the side five divisions above them, conceding three times in the first 10 minutes as Matt Crabb tapped home before Ben Austin added a forutnate second with what appeared to be a cross which dropped into the net. Liam Enver-Marum made it three after Chris Rea's attempted clearance hit Kevin Rose and fell into his path.

The fourth goal arrived from the penalty spot after Rea was harshly judged to have brought down Simon Johnson and the 32nd minute penalty was converted by Simon Weatherstone. However the Blues improved after that, and enjoyed a moment to savour as Kenny Pogue struck from the edge of the area just before half time to make the scoreline 4 - 1.

Early in the second half Crabb forced Killick into a diving save before Jamie Taylor chested down a pass from Johnson and slotted home for number five in the 56th minute. The game began to peter out somewhat after that but Borough struck three times in the last 10 minutes to add some gloss to the scoreline.

Taylor coolly slotted home his second on 83 minutes and he completed his hat-trick on 87 minutes with a free header from a short corner. And in the first minute of stoppage time Crabb rounded off the scoring to record an ultimately emphatic victory for the Blue Square Premier outfit.

Whilst it was always going to be a tough night against a side just one division below the Football League, the Blues can hopefully use the experience to their benefit as they return to the quest for promotion.

Sidley Team: Killick, S Whybourne, Real (Hesmer), Kelly, Rose, Day, Agutter, McEniry (Hill), Taylor (Elliott-Noye), McMinigal, Pogue. 

Sidley United 2 - 0 Loxwood - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 20th February 2010

Sidley United sunk the league leaders on Saturday to end their 16 match unbeaten run as they improved their own chances of securing promotion come the end of the season. 

Although conditions were very difficult both sides looked to get the ball down and play which made for an attractive and even spectacle. 

There was little to choose between the sides in the first half hour but the home side survived a scare as Kevin Rose made a goal-line clearance to deny Perry Monks after goalkeeper Harry Killick had parried an initial shot. 

But after Kenny Pogue went close and Jason Taylor forced Loxwood goalkeeper Chris Coles into a smart save, Sidley took the lead 5 minutes into first half stoppage time when Matt Maclean was brought down in the area and Rose stepped up to send Coles the wrong way with the penalty. 

In the second half Damon Aston poked just wide for the visitors before Coles tipped over a long range effort by Blues Zac McEniry. 

Loxwood applied more pressure as they went in search of the equaliser but Sidley hit them for a second time as Taylor got away down the right and his cross fell kindly for Kevin Barden to prod home. 

Danny Spice became the third Blues player in as many matches to be sent off when he was shown a straight red card for an aerial challenge in the 6th minute of stoppage time leaving the Blues hoping the suspension that will come his way won't come back to cost them later in the season. 

Sidley Team: Killick, Kelly, Rea, Spice, Rose, Maclean, Agutter, Taylor, McEniry (Barden), McMinigal (Day), Pogue (Elliott-Noye). 

Oakwood 1 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 13th February 2010

Two goals in the last 10 minutes from substitute Zac McEniry turned this game around for the Blues who were staring at a second successive defeat until McEniry's late brace. 

The opening period was something of a non event as neither side offered much in the final third. 

But Sidley upped their game slightly after the break and Kenny Pogue wasted a glorious chance to open the scoring and the Blues were made to pay for that miss as Oakwood took the lead moments later as Gerald Manville scrambled home a goalmouth melee on 70 minutes. 

Sidley drew level on 83 minutes as Adam Day sent over a cross for McEniry to rifle home a near post finish. 

And as Sidley pushed forward sensing the need to win to maintain their promotion push, McEniry grabbed a winner from six yards out after Matt Maclean's shot was blocked. 

Sidley Team: Killick, Kelly, Spice, Rose, Elliott-Noye (Whybourne), Taylor, Agutter, Maclean, McMinigal (Day), Bardon, Pogue (McEniry). 

Sidley United 0 - 3 Rye United - SCFL Division Two - Tuesday 9th February 2010

It all went horribly wrong for Sidley United as they lost at home to promotion rivals Rye United and had 2 men sent off on Tuesday night. 

The first half hour was an evenly contested affair with both sides enjoying one good chance apiece. Danny Leach volleyed over for Rye from inside the six yard box while away goalkeeper Jon Gardner made a good save with his legs to deny Allan McMinigal.

But Rye started to get on top and struck two quick goals as Sam Cole fired in a shot from distance which seemed to go straight through Harry Killick in the Sidley goal on 40 minutes before Duncan McArthur hit a pinpoint free kick into the top corner a few minutes later from just outside the area. 

Sidley made a half time substitution, bringing on Jason Taylor, and they began the second half well with Taylor firing a left foot effort wide before Josh Elliott-Noye had a firm strike well saved by Gardner. 

But as the half progressed Rye began to snuff out any threat from the Blues and the game was effectively killed off when Sidley captain Sean Kelly, who left Rye in the summer, was shown a straight red card for a nasty lunge on Marc Gall in the 82nd minute. 

To compound Sidley's misery they conceded an 87th minute penalty when Chris Rea was adjudged to have fouled McArthur, despite most in the ground feeling that he had taken the ball cleanly. Zac McEniry took his protests too far and was shown two yellow cards in a matter of seconds before McArthur sent Killick the wrong way to wrap up the win for the visitors. 

Sidley Team: Killick, Kelly, Rea, Spice, Rose (Day), Maclean, Elliott-Noye (McEniry), Agutter, McMinigal, Barden (Taylor), Pogue. 

Sidley United 3 - 2 Westfield - SCFL Division Two - Tuesday 2nd February 2010

Sidley United won this local derby thanks to a hat-trick from striker Kenny Pogue. 

The opening 20 minutes on the mudbath of a pitch at Gullivers was fairly even but Sidley began to get on top albeit without really troubling Dan Foster in the Westfield goal. 

Former Sidley captain Graham Morris was stretchered off after picking up a nasty gash to his leg in a sliding challenge with Danny Spice in an otherwise average first half.  

Sidley made the running at the start of the second half and they took the lead in the 58th minute when Foster completely missed a cross leaving Pogue with a simple tap in. The Blues striker then doubled his money after Kevin Rose's header was brilliantly headed off the line by Westfield's Duncan Jones only for Pogue to drive a left footed effort into the net. 

The Blues appeared to be cruising but after Lawrence Brand blazed over the bar from a free kick, Warren Parsons brought Westfield back into the game on 67 minutes as he stabbed home a Peter Baker free kick. 

Pogue completed his hat-trick on 79 minutes as he rounded Foster and although his first effort was blocked on the line by Lawrence Brand, his second found the back of the net. Ex Sidley man Matt Dadswell set up a nervy finish as he headed home Baker's corner with 2 minutes to go but Sidley held on for the win to consolidate their place in the top three.

Sidley Team: Bourne, Kelly, Rea, Spice, Rose, Maclean, Elliott-Noye, Agutter, McMinigal, Bardon (McEniry), Pogue. 

Sidley United 1 - 0 Little Common (AET) - Hastings FA Senior Cup Semi Final - Wednesday 27th January 2010

A screamer from club captain Sean 'Irish' Kelly settled this close contest right at the end of extra time to put the Blues in the final of the local cup contest.

Sidley had the majority of the play but there were relatively few chances created from either side. Both teams made a number of changes to their regular line ups, perhaps reflecting where this match lay in both sides' priorities. 

Common had the best chance though when they were awarded a penalty in the 18th minute as Jared Luster was brought down by Danny Spice but Lusted, who scored the winner when the two sides met on Boxing Day, saw his effort saved by Gavin Bourne. 

Sidley enjoyed a good spell towards the end of the first half and Matt Maclean had a shot deflect onto the post before Sam Hesmer forced Common stopper Richie Gray into a smart save. 

With neither side able to break through in normal time, the match headed for an extra half an hour and Sidley had to play the final 10 minutes with 10 men as Jason Taylor had to go off injured after all 3 substitutions had been made. 

It looked as if the game would be settled by penalties until Kelly took aim from around 40 yards out and his effort thundered into the top corner to set up a meeting with either Rye United or Bexhill United in the final.

Sidley Team: Bourne, Whybourne (Kelly), Elliott-Noye, Spice, Rose (Rea), Maclean, Hesmer (Taylor), Day, McEniry, McMinigal, Pogue.

Sidley United 4 - 0 East Preston - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 23rd January 2010

Sidley United moved into the top three on the back of a convincing victory over East Preston on Saturday. 

The game was delayed by an hour due to the late arrival of East Preston following a crash on the A27 but when the game did get going the Blues started very positively and were ahead within 10 minutes as Jason Taylor played a good ball through for Matt Maclean to fire past away stopper Maciek Kason.

Kevin Barden squandered a glorious chance to double Sidley's lead when he shot wide with only the goalkeeper to beat but he made amends by rounding the goalkeeper and tapping home after having been put clean through by Chris Agutter.

Sidley could have been out of sight before half time as Sean Kelly had a driven effort held well by Kason before Taylor and McMinigal both failed to hit the target when well placed as the Blues cut through the visitors back line almost at will.

The third goal finally arrived in the 60th minute as Barden finally beat a well practiced offside trap and he rode a desperate last challenge before curling home a sweet finish. Kenny Pogue ballooned a simple chance over the bar at the end of another good move before Maclean got the fourth goal on 87 minutes as he burst through the defence, rounded Kason and slotted home to complete the scoring.

At the other end Harry Killick made his only save of the match in the final minute to deny Kevin Budge a late consolation.

Sidley Team: Killick, Kelly, Rea, Spice, Rose, Maclean, Taylor (Whybourne), Agutter, McEniry (Pogue), McMinigal (Elliott-Noye), Barden.

Sidley United 1 - 2 Little Common - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 26th December 2009

Sidley United suffered the Boxing Day blues as rivals Little Common came from behind to win at Gullivers.

The Blues should have gone in front after just 70 seconds but Matt Maclean's shot was well saved by Richie Gray in the Common goal. Sidley were playing some decent stuff and Maclean gave them a 16th minute lead as he curled a left footed shot into the corner of the net from just outside the penalty area despite Gray getting a faint hand to it.

The advantage didn't last long though as Common levelled 3 minutes later as Jared Lusted's free kick found it's way through to Lewis Hole who guided the ball in off the far post while sliding for his 13th goal of the campaign. Sidley suffered another blow just before half time as Matt Darby had to be stretchered off having come off worse from a sliding challenge with Lusted.

Common started the second half well and Stuart Weston had a shot from distance parried out to Lusted who blazed the rebound over the bar while Kenny Pogue brought a fine save out of Gray low to his right with a deflected effort from 25 yards.

But Common struck for a second time on 70 minutes as Lusted got the better of Danny Spice near the byline before cutting in and beating Killick at his near post. Sidley pushed for an equaliser but Common defended resolutely and Andy Matthews did have the ball in the Sidley net for a third time but the offside flag denied him.

The heavy rain fall throughout made it difficult for players to keep their feet and so the entertaining spectacle which the teams produced in their first league meeting for well over a decade should be a credit to the efforts of the players but it will mean far less to Sidley than their cross-town rivals.

Sidley Team: Killick, Kelly, Rea (McEniry), Spice, Rose, Maclean, Darby (Pogue), Agutter, McMinigal (Hesmer), Taylor, Barden.

Sidley United 3 - 2 Clymping - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 12th December  2009

A stoppage time winner from Jason Taylor clinched this game as Sidley United recovered from falling behind to claim all three points.

Sidley almost went in front in the opening 90 seconds as Kevin Barden fired wide from a tight angle having rounded the goalkeeper. Despite that good start, Sidley were second best in the opening quarter and Rickie Mitchell could have put them ahead as Harry Killick dashed off his line before gathering at the second attempt.

Barden gave the Blues the lead in the 42nd minute as he knocked the ball over the goalkeeper and tapped home following good work by Jason Taylor and Chris Agutter.

Clymping came out strongly in the second period though and almost levelled when David Gaskin fired just wide of an unguarded net before they equalised when Joe Stokes headed in a free kick on 60 minutes.

The visitors went in front just 2 minutes later when Joe Shelley smashed home a through ball only for McMinigal to equalise on 77 minutes as he beat the goalkeeper to a ball over the top and finished from the side of the area.

Both sides pushed for the winner with Killick making a good save from Gaskin while Kevin Rose headed against the bar after Zac McEniry had flicked on a free kick. It seemed certain somebody would score again and it was Sidley who did as Taylor prodded home Agutter's cross deep into added time to secure the points, sparking wild scenes of celebration involving all 11 Sidley players, manager John Lambert and the substituted Kenny Pogue in front of the main stand of supporters.

Sidley Team: Killick, McEniry, Rea, Kelly, Rose, Darby (Elliott-Noye), Taylor, Agutter, McMinigal (Sanderson), Barden, Pogue (Whybourne).

Littlehampton Town 1 - 3 Sidley United - Sussex Senior Cup Second Round Replay - Saturday 5th December 2009

Sidley United set up a plum tie against Blue Square Premier side Eastbourne Borough with a fine victory at Littlehampton Town in this Sussex Senior Cup replay.

Despite rain throughout the match adding to the recent batch of bad weather the pitch held up surprisingly well and allowed Sidley to play some good football in the first half and by the end of it they had opened up a two goal lead.

Allan McMinigal got the first with an accurate low drive from the edge of the box before he provided the assist for the second as his cross into the box was met by the knee of Jason Taylor and the ball looped over the home goalkeeper and into the net.

Goalkeeper Harry Killick had only one first half save to make but the second half was a more scrappy affair and the home side got a goal back in the 55th minute through Barney Boutwood. Killick then made two good saves to preserve Sidley's lead although Kenny Pogue may have done better as he blazed over the bar at the end of a counter attacking move.

The Blues finally did get the third goal as McMinigal pressured the full back into a backpass to the goalkeeper which didn't have enough strength, allowing McMinigal to pull the ball back for Matt Darby to apply the finishing touch.

Sidley Team: Killick, Kelly, Rea, Spice, Darby, Hesmer (Elliott-Noye), Agutter, McEniry (Pogue), McMinigal, Taylor. 

Sidley United 7 - 0 Midhurst & Easebourne - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 21st November 2009

Sidley United made light work of the whipping boys of Division Two with a tremendous win to boost their goal difference.

But the visitors put up a brave first half resistance and they had a good chance through Luke Smeldrich but his finish lacked composure. The Blues often gave the ball away in the early stages and it took until a minute before half time for them to finally break the visitors' resistance as Kevin Rose scored a twice-taken penalty after Kevin Barden was brought down in the area. But after the break it was a different story and one-sided doesn't really accurately describe the level of dominance Sidley enjoyed.

Some dozy defending inside the first minute allowed Sam Hesmer to drive in a cross for Barden to score from close range while the third goal followed on 53 minutes via a bullet header from Danny Spice who got up to beat his man at a corner.

Soon after Allan McMinigal's dinked cross was given the perfect finish by Hesmer's downward nod into the corner and Sidley's fifth goal was tucked away by Jason Taylor's neat clipped finish from Barden's low centre into the near post.

Shae Whybourne fired his first goal for the club just 30 seconds after coming off the bench and Rose rounded things off with goal number seven after the Midhurst defence failed to deal with a corner.

Sidley could well have got to double figures against a hapless Midhurst side which has conceded a staggering 53 goals in 11 league matches so far.

Sidley Team: Killick, Kelly, Rea (Darby), Spice, Rose, Maclean, Hesmer, Agutter (Day), Barden, McMinigal (Whybourne), Taylor.

Seaford Town 1 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Tuesday 17th November 2009

A good away win for the Blues at Seaford Town extended their unbeaten run to 6 matches.

Zac McEniry, playing up front in place of the suspended Kenny Pogue, gave Sidley the lead after a defensive mistake with his first goal of the season giving Sheldon Levett in the home goal no chance. McEniry might have had another before half time but his instinctive shot from five yards out hit a defender and went over the bar.

In the second period, Sidley had two or three chances to double their lead before they did just that as a good move down the left allowed Josh Elliott-Noye to find space at the far post to bundle the ball home. 

Chris Stanyard pulled a goal back for Seaford with their first dangerous move of the match with around 10 minutes remaining but Sidley stayed strong enough to hold on for the three points.

Sidley Team: Killick, Kelly, Rea (Taylor), Rose, Spice, Maclean, Cody (Hesmer), Agutter, Barden, Elliott-Noye, McEniry.

Steyning Town 3 - 3 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 7th November 2009

Sidley United recovered from 2 - 0 down to claim a point at lowly Steyning Town but manager John Lambert was far from happy with the Blues' worst performance of the season.

Steyning took an early lead as Gregg Hearne struck for the home side but they missed three or four good chances to pull themselves level before the break.

The failure to do so ensured they received more than a stern word from Lambert at half time and they spent the early stages of the second half camped in and around the Steyning penalty area only to unbelievably fall further behind when Steyning completed a breakaway move.

Jason Taylor, a recent signing from East Sussex Football League side Hooe Sports, pulled a goal back with a good finish having been put clean through on goal and Matt Maclean then equalised on his debut for the Blues and when they drew level it appeared there was only going to be one winner. The game then saw a major flashpoint as Adam Day was shown a straight red card when he appeared to punch Steyning's James Edmonds who had just committed an awful two-footed tackle for which he was also rightly dismissed.

The Blues still seemed firmly in charge but Steyning took the lead again with just moments left after another defensive error by Sidley and at that point they seemed to have thrown the game away. But the Blues came forward again and levelled in stoppage time as Kenny Pogue's shot was parried out to Taylor who followed up to even things up once again. 

Sidley Team: Killick, McEniry, Spice, Kelly (Rea), Rose, Day, Taylor, Agutter, Barden (Maclean), McMinigal (Whybourne), Pogue.

Sidley United 2 - 1 Lancing - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 31st October 2009

Sidley United claimed another three points thanks to a Chris Agutter brace.

The Blues began well and could have been four goals to the good before Agutter did give them the lead, striking from 25 yards for his first goal since the opening day of the season. Shortly afterwards Sidley squandered a golden chance to double their lead as they won a penalty but Adam Day fired wide of the target.

In the second half Sidley had further chances which went begging until Agutter turned and smashed home from 8 yards after good work on the right by Jason Taylor. Pogue also rattled the crossbar with a thunderous strike from the edge of the area.

But despite all their superiority, Sidley gifted Lancing a route back into the game with 10 minutes to go as Dan Griffin made no mistake with a free header from a corner which beat debutant goalkeeper Harry Killick.

The Blues had to survive some nervy final moments but pulled through to record the win.

Sidley Team: Killick, McEniry, Spice, Kelly, Rose (Elliott-Noye), Day, Taylor, Agutter, McMinigal, Barden, Pogue.

Sidley United 2 - 2 (AET) Littlehampton Town - Sussex Senior Cup Second Round - Saturday 24th October 2009

A wonder goal right at the end of extra time meant that 10 man Sidley United had to settle for a replay in the Sussex Senior Cup.

On a windy and rainy afternoon, the Blues fell behind in the 8th minute as Matt Ward's shot from the edge of the area skipped off the greasy surface and defeated the dive of Paul Nessling in the Sidley goal.

But Sidley equalised on 22 minutes as Allan McMinigal rifled the ball into the roof of the net after visiting goalkeeper Craig Stoner had denied Zac McEniry. Sean Kelly headed away from near the goal-line a minute later as the first half ended even.

Chances were few and far between in the second period as neither side really looked like winning it although Matt Russell thought he had put Littlehampton in front 2 minutes into the extra half hour that was called for but his effort was ruled out for offside.

And straight after that Sidley went up the other end and won a penalty Gregg Berry was upended in the box but before the kick could be taken Kenny Pogue was shown a second yellow card following a clash with an opposing defender who was also booked. Adam Day sent Stoner the wrong way when the penalty was eventually taken to put Sidley within sight of victory.

But with just 5 minutes remaining Nathan Peacock latched onto a loose ball 25 yards out and unleashed a stunning strike which flew past Nessling into the top corner and the sides will battle it out again to decide who will go through to face either Blue Square Premier outfit Eastbourne Borough or Ryman Division One south side Burgess Hill Town.

Sidley Team: Nessling, Whiteman, Elliott-Noye, Spice, Kelly, Day, Taylor, Darby, McEniry (Berry), McMinigal (Hesmer), Pogue.

Sidley United 1 - 0 Westfield (AET) - Hastings FA Senior Cup First Round - Tuesday 20th October 2009

Sidley United finally overcame the challenge of neighbours Westfield as they booked a place in the semi final of the local knockout cup contest.

A low quality 90 minutes was endured first in which the Blues almost looked the more likely of the two sides to come out on top. Allan McMinigal rattled the crossbar with a free kick before Kenny Pogue shot wide after being put through on goal and Matt Darby was denied by Westfield goalkeeper Dan Foster when he seemed certain to score.

In the second half Foster denied Jason Taylor after the away defence hesitated and Pogue again missed the target with only Foster to beat. Westfield only really threatened Paul Nessling's goal when substitute Duncan Jones struck the post from outside the penalty area during the extra half hour.

After that Taylor went inches wide following a driving run and Sidley also went close twice in the second extra period before Darby grabbed the winner with a clever flick to turn home McMinigal's wayward shot following a short corner routine.

The Blues will face Little Common at home in the Semi Final.

Sidley Team: Nessling, Whiteman (Elliott-Noye), Rea, Kelly, Spice, Agutter, Darby, Day (Hesmer), Taylor, McMinigal, Pogue. 

Clymping 2 - 3 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 17th October 2009

Kenny Pogue's stunning volley earned Sidley United the points from this see-saw encounter with Clymping. 

The Blues were boosted by the new signings of Kevin Barden and former Rye captain Sean Kelly but they struggled initially to get into the game and Aaron Meehan put the hosts in front after 11 minutes. In fact only the crossbar and Paddy Cody's goal-line clearance prevented them from taking a firmer grip on affairs. 

Four minutes later though Sidley got back on terms as Allan McMinigal's cross from the left deflected kindly into the path of Barden for the simplest of finishes. 

The complexion of the game looked to have changed after half time as Barden retrieved a deep corner and delivered a dangerous ball in which was turned into his own net by a home defender. But the lead didn't last long as Joe Shelley's free kick skimmed off the head of Kevin Rose, giving Danny Poole in the Blues goal no chance as it nestled in the back of his net. 

But Sidley had the last word as on 75 minutes Adam Day's cross was met on the full by Pogue's glorious strike which sealed the win for the Blues. 

Sidley Team: Poole, Cody, Rose, Kelly, Rea (Whiteman), Elliott-Noye (Taylor), Day, Darby, McMinigal (Hesmer), Barden, Pogue.

Sidley United 1 - 2 Storrington - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 10th October 2009

The last unbeaten run in the league came to an end as Sidley United surprisingly lost at home to Storrington. 

The Blues got off to the worst possible start as Storrington struck inside 90 seconds when the unmarked Liam Hunphreys headed home from 5 yards. 

But Sidley rallied and played some nice football after that and it was a good move that led to the equaliser. Kenny Pogue did well to lay the ball off to Allan McMinigal to strike the ball home. The Blues had some further chances but found the visiting goalkeeper in their way on each occasion. 

After the break Sidley failed to hit the same tempo and Storrington grabbed the winner when a ball over the top caught the Sidley defence napping and Kristian Harding took full advantage to score. 

The visitors also missed a penalty which would have killed the game off but in the end they weren't made to regret that miss by a Sidley team who were perhaps too often guilty of overplaying. 

Sidley Team: Nessling, Elliott-Noye, Cody (Berry), McEniry, Rose, Darby, Sanderson, Agutter (Taylor), Day, McMinigal (Miles), Pogue. 

Crawley Down 4 - 1 Sidley United - SCFA RUR Cup Second Round - Saturday 3rd October 2009

Blues boss John Lambert was furious as Sidley United went out of the SCFA RUR Cup with their worst performance of the season. 

Crawley Down were promoted from Division Two last season and they took a 25th minute lead through Tom Familton. 

Three minutes later Lee Butcher headed against the underside of the Sidley crossbar but Aaron Watson converted a cross in the 40th minute to double the Anvils lead.

Lambert read the riot act at the players at the break and Kenny Pogue raced through to score his ninth goal of the season on 56 minutes to reduce the arrears. 

Things looked promising for Sidley at that stage but when Sam Cane got the third for the home side on the hour mark they reverted back to the bad ways of the first half and Cane wrapped up the scoring with his second on 80 minutes at the end of a good move. 

Sidley will be hoping that talisman Danny Spice will be fit for their next game after he had to come off injured late on. 

Sidley Team: Nessling, Cody (Elliott-Noye), Spice (McEniry), Parsons, Rose, Darby, Day, Agutter (Sanderson), McMinigal, Honey, Pogue. 

Sidley United 1 - 2 Rye United - Division Two Challenge Cup Second Round - Tuesday 29th September 2009

Danny Leach's penalty with the very last kick of the game knocked Sidley United out of the Division Two Challenge Cup on Tuesday night. 

Rye enjoyed the better of the first half and took the lead on 35 minutes as Danny Ellis held off a coupe of Sidley players and sent in a cross which was met at the far post by Dominic Clarke to finish. 

Ellis could have added a second before half time but his clipped finish over Paul Nessling enabled a Blues defender to get back to clear in time. 

Sidley had a better second half and Kevin Rose - a recent transfer target for Rye - headed them level from a corner on 62 minutes. Allan McMinigal should have done better with only Jon Gardner in the Rye goal to beat while Kenny Pogue struck the base of the post in the dying moments. 

But four minutes into stoppage time Ben Radley's surging run into the Sidley box was halted unfairly by Danny Spice's rash challenge. Once Leach's spot kick hit the back of the net the whistle blew for full time and as arguments continued Sidley's Paddy Cody was shown a red card for dissent. 

Sidley Team: Nessling, Cody, Rea, Spice, Rose (McEniry), Day (Darby), Hesmer (Elliott-Noye), Agutter, McMinigal, Honey, Pogue. 

Sidley United 5 - 1 Oakwood - Sussex Senior Cup First Round - Saturday 26th September 2009

Sidley United turned on the style as they hit four goals in the last 25 minutes to cruise into the second round of the Sussex Senior Cup. 

However they could have been behind inside the first minute as Oakwood were awarded a penalty for a tug at a set piece but the visitors taker let them off the hook as he failed to find the back of the net.

Sidley then went in front when Paddy Cody's initial shot came back off the post and Allan McMinigal followed up to score. But the visitors drew level as a long ball forward wasn't dealt with by the Blues defence and Tom Tolfrey fired past Paul Nessling in the Sidley goal. 

Playing up the slope in the second half Sidley went close when McMinigal's corner was headed off the line but they went back in front on 67 minutes as Kevin Rose headed another set piece delivery into the roof of the net. 

Sam Hesmer added the third on 74 minutes with a simple finish after good work by Kenny Pogue to set him up before Pogue also added his name to the scoresheet soon after. 

McMinigal had a weak penalty saved after he was brought down but Pogue soon added the fifth goal with a volley into the bottom corner. Chris Honey twice went agonisingly close to a goal that his performance deserved but with him unable to net, Sidley had to settle for five as they set up a meeting with Littlehampton Town in the second round. 

Sidley Team: Nessling, Cody (Hesmer), Rea, McEniry, Rose, Darby, Elliott-Noye, Agutter (Day), McMinigal, Honey, Pogue. 

Sidley United 2 - 0 Steyning Town - SCFA RUR Cup First Round - Saturday 19th September 2009

Sidley United picked up their first home win of the season in manager John Lambert's first game in charge at the Gullivers. 

Steyning, who had only one point from 6 league matches coming into this cup contest, came with a clear plan to shut up shop and try and nick something at the other end. 

That made it difficult for the Blues to get behind the visitors but eventually they broke through just after the half hour mark as Kenny Pogue unleashed a shot from the edge of the penalty area which the goalkeeper got a hand to and the covering defender could only help it trickle over the line. 

Kevin Rose added the second goal with a header from a corner in the second half just days after he seemed set to join Rye United before changing his mind. 

At the other end of the pitch Sidley's debutant goalkeeper Paul Nessling had nothing to do as the Blues eased into the next round. 

Sidley Team: Nessling, Cody (Hesmer), Elliott-Noye, Rea, Parsons, Rose, Day, Agutter (Darby), McMinigal, Honey, Pogue (McEniry). 

Rye United 1 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Wednesday 16th September 2009

It was honours even in the local derby as both sides kept their unbeaten league form going.

Rye began well and Danny Ellis and Dominic Clarke went close while Blues goalkeeper Gavin Bourne made a good stop from Dominic Cruttenden. At the other end Chris Honey rattled the Rye crossbar with a header from Adam Day's corer. 

Sidley debutant Danny Spice, having joined the club on a dual registration basis from Hastings United gave the Blues a 37th minute lead when a free kick was headed down to him by Kingsley Parsons and Spice acrobatically fired into the top corner of the net. 

But Duncan McArthur brought Rye level with virtually the last kick of the half, striking from outside the penalty area into the bottom corner to cap a counter attacking move. 

Rye piled on the pressure in the second half but Sidley, with Spice outstanding at the back, defended well as well as rode their luck at times to secure a point.

Sidley Team: Bourne, Cody, Elliott-Noye, Spice, Parsons, Rea, Darby (McMinigal), Agutter, Day, Honey (McEniry), Pogue.

Rustington 1 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 12th September 2009

Sidley United won't know whether this was 2 points dropped or 1 point gained as they came away from Rustington with a 1 - 1 draw.

Sam Hesmer gave the Blues the lead on 20 minutes when he latched onto a long through ball from Adam Day and chipped home goalkeeper Andy McCarthy. 

The home side created a couple of half chances before the break but they had to wait until the 75th minute to equalise when Paddy Cody attempted to head the ball back to Gavin Bourne in the Blues goal and Steve Kirkham made the most of the gift to level. 

Rustington then went close to winning it as Kirkham hit the bar before Lee Gibbs went close. Sidley survived a final minute penalty appeal when James Bennett went down in the area but the referee waved away Rustington's appeals.

Sidley Team: Bourne, Cody, Rea, Parsons, McEniry, Elliott-Noye, Day, Agutter, Darby (Phillips), Hesmer (Miles), McMinigal (Williams). 

Erith & Belvedere 2 - 1 Sidley United - FA Vase First Round - Sunday 6th September 2009

Sidley United were knocked out of the FA Vase in a match which marred by an unsavoury incident. Blues went behind after just 4 minutes as Herbingi Grant finished off a neat passing move but they levelled just 5 minutes later as Paddy Cody cut inside before scoring a 35 yard screamer into the top corner with his lesser favoured left foot for his first goal for the club. 

The home side scored again right on the stroke of half time through Chris Hill's volley but the main talking point came shortly after the goal. An off the ball incident involving Kingsley Parsons and Erith's Grant sparked a melee amongst the players and the end result was a red card for goalscorer Grant.

However rather than head to the changing rooms, Grant waited for Parsons to leave the field at half time and was seen to swing his right arm at Parsons who protested his innocence. Grant alleged that Parsons struck him in the face and the row lasted several minutes before the players were separated.

In the second half Sidley worked a couple of half chances through Agutter and Hesmer but they weren't able to convert. Erith thought they had scored a third on 76 minutes as a free kick was followd up but the offside flag was up. 

Chris Honey had a late effort well parried away as the Blues ran out of time and saw interest in another cup end for the season. 

Sidley Team: Bourne, Cody, Miltiadou, Rea, Rose (McEniry), Parsons, Darby, Agutter, Day (Elliott-Noye), McMinigal (Hesmer), Honey.

Lancing 1 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 29th August 2009

Sidley United came from behind to chalk up their second league win of the campaign at Lancing on Saturday.

The Blues could have been three up before the break but a lapse in concentration allowed Rob Partridge to put the home side in front despite being second best. 

After a rocky 10 minutes Sidley levelled when Kenny Pogue headed a fine equaliser from Paddy Cody's cross. 

A half time roasting from Lambert brought about the desired response as Sidley played much better in the second half and Kevin Rose put them in front with a nice header from a corner. 

Whilst the Blues could have added a couple more goals, Lancing did also have a couple of half chances to snatch a draw but were unable to do so. 

Sidley Team: Bourne, Cody, Miltiadou, Rose, Rea, Darby, Elliott-Noye, Agutter (Day), McMinigal, Honey, Pogue. 

Ringmer 2 - 1 Sidley United - John O Hara Cup First Round - Tuesday 25th August 2009

Sidley United bowed out of the John O Hara cup but ran Division One outfit Ringmer close with a good performance.

Blues got off to a dream start as they took the lead with a goal straight from kick off as Kenny Pogue ran through to score and he went close to doubling the Blues' lead 5 minutes later.

Ringmer then began to get a grip of the game and they equalised on 20 minutes as Zac McEniry slipped to let in Sam Sowter who showed good strength to hold off his marker and slot home.

The second half saw both sides stuggle with the offside trap although Pogue and then Matt Darby were denied, firstly by the home goalkeeper and then by a goal line block by a defender.

But with extra time looking, Ringmer struck in the final minute of stoppage time as a ball in found Matt Ford at the far post who slammed the ball home to win the tie. 

Sidley Team: Bourne, Rea, Miltiadou, Parsons, McEniry, Darby, Hesmer (McMinigal), Day, Honey, Pogue, Elliott-Noye.

Worthing United 0 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 22nd August 2009

Sidley United had goalkeeper Gavin Bourne to thank as his first half penalty save helped them earn a point from the long trip to Worthing United.

The home side went into the game having scored nine without reply so far in the league and they dominated the opening 20 minutes. Midway through the half they were awarded a spot kick when Chris Agutter was penalised for a handball in the box but Bourne dived low to his right to turn Julian Curnow's effort round the post.

The Blues came more into the game after that moment but didn't look like scoring all that often and they changed shape at half time in an attempt to try and change the rhythm of the match.

They had chances in the second half and with a little more accuracy they may have taken all three points but they came away grateful for a dreadful miss from two yards out when the Worthing player somehow contrived to hit the crossbar instead as Sidley held on for a point.

Sidley Team: Bourne, Cody (Podmore), Miltiadou, Rea, Rose, Darby, Hesmer, Agutter, McMinigal, Honey, Pogue (Elliott-Noye).

Molesey 2 - 1 Sidley United - FA Cup - Saturday 15th August 2009

Sidley United's interest in the FA Cup ended early as they slipped to a narrow defeat to Combined Counties Premier Divison side Molesey.

The Blues made three changes to the side that drew at Wealden in midweek with Gavin Bourne coming in for Jon Saunders in goal while Kevin Rose and Jamie Podmore formed a new-look central defence. They didn't have the greatest of starts as heavy traffic meant they only arrived half an hour prior to kick off.

An even first half followed with the home side doing well to prevent the Sidley full backs from getting forward. Nine minutes into the second period the home side took the lead when a volleyed cross from the left was turned into the roof of the net by a Sidley defender. 

Sidley drew level on 70 minutes as Josh Elliott-Noye applied a neat finish after being picked out by Kenny Pogue. But Molesey grabbed the winner as a corner was only partially cleared and the ball was laid off to Steve Brown who gave Bourne no chance with a stunning strike from the edge of the box.

To compound a disappointing day at the office, Pogue was shown a red card in the dying moments for foul and abusive language after tangling with a Molesey defender

Sidley Team: Bourne, Cody, Miltiadou (Elliott-Noye), Podmore (McEniry), Rose, Darby, Hesmer, Agutter (Rea), McMinigal, Honey, Pogue.

Wealden 3 - 3 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Tuesday 11th August 2009

It was in the end a disappointing result for Sidley United as they let a 3 - 1 lead slip to end up drawing at Wealden on Tuesday night.

John Lambert named the same line up as that which won so comprehensively at East Preston on Saturday but the team seemed somewhat sluggish in the opening stages. The home side took a 27th minute lead when a low free kick evaded everyone and nestled in the far corner of the net. But that goal seemed to wake Sidley up and they turned it around to lead at half time.

First Kingsley Parsons headed the equaliser from a corner in the 36th minute and Kenny Pogue then scored a stunning Van Basten-esque bolley from Allan McMinigal's cross in first half stoppage time.

Sidley were playing some very nice football and they extended their lead midway through the second half when Pogue won a penalty which he converted himself.

But Sidley were then guilty of switching off, maybe believing the game was won, and they conceded in the 74th minute as goalkeeper Jon Saunders dropped a cross and the Wealden striker prodded home. After that the Blues started to panic a bit and with their tails up Wealden equalised in the 85th minute and almost snatched a stoppage time winner when a shot struck Saunders square in the face.

Four points from six represents a good start overall but this will still feel like a missed opportunity to have claimed maximum points.

Sidley Team: Saunders, Cody, Miltiadou, Rea, Parsons, Darby, Hesmer (Elliott-Noye), Agutter, McMinigal, Honey, Pogue.

East Preston 0 - 3 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 8th August 2009

The new era at Sidley United started brightly as Blues won their first competitive match under new boss John Lambert with an impressive win at East Preston.

With former Hastings manager Lambert and assistant boss Wayne Farrier taking over in the summer, a sea of new faces were on display as Sidley lined up at The Lashmoor stadium with only Jon Saunders and Chris Honey starting from last year's squad.

A closely contested opening 20 minutes in warm, sunny conditions suited this Sidley teams passing game and they took control of the game. Kenny Pogue lobbed tamely into the goalkeeper's arms before Allan McMinigal sent a rasping drive just wide.

On the half hour mark the impressive new captain Chris Agutter drilled into the bottom corner after at the second attempt to put Sidley in front. Seven minutes later and the Blues were at it again as Pogue intercepted a header back towards the goalkeeper and rounded the goalkeper to score into the roof of the net from an acute angle.

A couple of promising counter attacks before half time went unrewarded and Pogue headed straight at the goalkeeper as the Blues threatened to run riot before the interval. But 75 seconds into the second half they did get the third goal as McMinigal's corner was only half cleared to Matt Darby who's deflected shot looped into the net.

After that Sidley took their foot off the pedal a bit and East Preston had a couple of chances which saw Paddy Cody head off the line, although Pogue rattled the crossbar at the other end with a fierce effort.

The only negative for the Blues was an injury picked up by Craig Willard, on as a sub, who had to go off and leave the Blues to see out the final 15 minutes with 10 men having made all 3 substitutions.

Sidley Team: Saunders, Cody, Miltiadou (Podmore), Rea, Parsons, Darby, Hesmer (Elliott-Noye), Agutter (Willard), McMinigal, Honey, Pogue.



Sponsor & Advertising

Sidley Team 2022/23

Click on Matchday programme to see all of our Sponsorship & advertising opportunities for 2024/25Join us on Facebook