Reports from Sidley United's seasons in the Sussex County Football League

Season 2008/09


Crawley Down 3 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 2nd May 2009

Andy Laskey's reign as Sidley manager ended after he was sacked following the Blues final game of a disappointing campaign. 

The home side had already secured promotion and they took the lead on 24 minutes as a ball over the top allowed Nick Sullivan to open the scoring. 

Sidley levelled before half time with a lovely team goal which went across the defence, through the midfield and finally into the path of Lawrence Brand who netted in style. 

But Darren Tidey restored the home side's lead on 62 minutes following a loose pass by Darren Witham and Matt Beeston's thumping volley secured the win late on despite a suspicion of offside. 

Laskey's 6 year involvement with the club came to an end as the Blues ambitions for next season will be to finish much higher than the 8th place they ended this campaign in following their third successive loss. 

Sidley Team: Saunders, Witham (Stiles), Tudor, Poole, McEniry, Willard, Brand, Elliott-Noye, Day, O'Callaghan, Honey. 

Westfield 1 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Tuesday 28th April 2009

Westfield became only the second side this season to record home and away wins over Sidley United thanks to former Blue Matt Dadswell's strike. 

The home side had the better of the first half hour and Danny Pepper, playing his last game before retiring, forced Sidley stopper Jon Saunders into a smart save. 

Dadswell struck in the 37th minute as Saunders failed to deal with a skied clearance by Josh Elliott-Noye and Dadswell scrambled home the loose ball. 

Sidley came into the game more in the second half with Chris Sanderson seeing a lot of the ball but the Westfield defence, led superbly by another former Sidley man in Lee Wood, stood firm. 

The Blues' best chance came in the 83rd minute when Zac McEniry got on the end of a free kick but his header was hooked away from near the goal-line by Ashley Paine.

Blues boss Andy Laskey bemoaned the 6.30pm kick off but again on the pitch Sidley just didn't have the answers. 

Sidley Team: Saunders, May, Witham (McEniry), Podmore, Poole, Elliott-Noye, Willard, Brand (Stiles), Sanderson, O'Callaghan, Honey. 

Peacehaven & Telscombe 3 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Tuesday 21st April 2009

A poor first half performance ensured Sidley United came away from Peacehaven empty handed on Tuesday night. 

The Blues, forced to shuffle the pack prior to kick off due to the absences of Adam Day and Jamie Podmore, were frequently guilty of over hitting the ball, giving Chris Honey and Nicky Stiles up front nothing to work off. 

The home side hit the post after 10 minutes but went ahead not long after when a good move and cross was finished off at the far post. 

A Brad Poole own goal soon after put Sidley two behind when the defender's attempt to clear his lines managed only to beat keeper Jon Saunders on its way into the net. 

A comedy goal five minutes into the second half put the game beyond any doubt. Saunders stooped down to collect a routine shot which then hit a divot on the poor pitch and bounced over the Sidley goalkeeper and into the net. Blackburn Rovers goalkeeper Tim Flowers suffered a very similar experience in the Premier league some years earlier. 

The Blues did have a few chances of their own but Dan Hill shot straight at the goalkeeper from 6 yards out while Poole headed just wide from a corner. 

Sidley Team: Saunders, May, Witham (Tudor), Poole, Hill (Sanderson) Elliott-Noye, Willard, Brand, O'Callaghan, Honey, Stiles (McEniry). 

Sidley United 3 - 2 Bexhill United - SCFL Division Two - Monday 13th April 2009

Sidley United exacted revenge on rivals Bexhill United for the Boxing Day defeat while also dealing the visitors' survival hopes a massive blow with this scrappy Easter Monday victory. 

The Blues came close to opening the scoring when Chris Honey's shot was blocked on the line by Ricky Mote but they fell behind completely against the run of play on 23 minutes when Chris Agutter's dangerous ball in was turned into his own net by Darren Witham. 

Ten minutes later Sidley levelled when Adam Day floated a free kick into the box and Micky O'Callaghan got just enough on his header to steer the ball home. And just moments afterwards the Blues went in front in almost identical fashion; Honey this time nodding home Day's replica free kick. 

Bexhill equalised with a fantastic 45 yard effort from David Harris on 60 minutes after goalkeeper Jon Saunders had only half cleared a weak back header from Jamie Podmore.

But Sidley continued to dictate the play and they went back in front when Nicky Stiles took advantage of some hesitancy by former Sidley great Peter Heritage to sweep home from 8 yards and send the points home with the Blues. 

Bexhill sacked manager Paul Tuppeney after this defeat which left them with an uphill challenge to avoid relegation back to Division Three. 

Sidley Team: Saunders, May, Witham, Poole, Podmore (Stiles), Elliott-Noye, Willand, Day, Brand, O'Callaghan, Honey (Collier). 

Midhurst & Easebourne 1 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 11th April 2009

Sidley United had to make do with a point from the long trip to Midhurst but this was another example of the Blues not doing enough to win the match. 

The game was held up for around 20 minutes as an ambulance had to be called to tend to the Midhurst goalkeeper who apparently dislocated his arm. Fortunately for them his replacement was their regular goalkeeper who was on the bench as he had turned up late. 

The relegation threatened home side should have gone in front but failed to make the best of a free header while they also had a decent penalty appeal turned down. 

In the second half Nicky Stiles was twice denied by the substitute goalkeeper while Chris Honey and Micky O'Callaghan both had efforts cleared from off the line. 

Sidley finally went ahead in the 56th minute as Zac McEniry's free kick came through to Adam Day who flashed a half volley into the net from the edge of the penalty area. 

But with just five minutes to go some loose marking at a corner allowed James Glue to equalise with a free header to earn the home side a share of the spoils. 

Sidley Team: Saunders, May (Hill), Witham (Stiles), McEniry, Podmore, Willard, Elliott-Noye, Brand, Day, O'Callaghan, Honey. 

Sidley United 0 - 1 Mile Oak - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 4th April 2009

Sidley United's recent winning streak came to an end as Mile Oak came away with a narrow win. 

The Blues began well enough but they were undone in the 22nd minute when some neat passing found prolific striker Danny Curd free in the area who made no mistake. 

Sidley seemed to be missing Craig Willard's creativity in midfield although Chris Honey almost found the net with a header from a corner before the interval. 

After the break Nicky Stiles had an effort cleared off the line by a covering defender but beyond that Sidley failed to really create a genuine chance. 

Boss Andy Laskey was less than impressed with Oak's lack of sportsmanship as a number of their players were booked for dissent but overall Sidley didn't do enough to merit a result today. 

Sidley Team: Saunders, May, Hill, Poole (McEniry), Podmore, Elliott-Noye, Witham, Brand (Sanderson) O'Callaghan, Honey, Stiles (Collier). 

Sidley United 2 - 1 Rye United - SCFL Division Two - Tuesday 31st March 2009

Sidley United made it four league wins in a row with an excellent win over neighbours Rye United who finished the match with 10 men. 

Chris Honey gave Sidley a dream start as he struck after just 46 seconds with a 25 yard rocket. And then Micky O'Callaghan repeated the trick on 14 minutes, giving Jon Gardner in the away goal no chance to put the Blues two goals to the good. 

Rye had the majority of the play after that but Sidley proved difficult to break down and restricted the visitors to few genuine chances with Dominic Cruttenden going closest for Rye in the first half. 

The luckless Cruttenden struck the post in the second half with an overhead effort before Rye did find the net as Marc Munday forced home Sean Kelly's awkward ball in. Nicky Stiles was denied a third Sidley goal by Gardner before the game turned ugly. 

Munday was shown a second yellow card for flicking out at Honey after the Sidley striker had fouled Gardner. Munday then headbutted Honey which seemed to be missed by all the officials and Sidley joint manager Glen Sully was sent from the stand for swearing at the linesman in protest at Munday's antics. 

The drama didn't end there as Munday came running back onto the pitch at the final whistle and had to be restrained by team-mates in ugly scenes. 

Sidley Team: Saunders, May, Hill, Poole, Podmore, Elliott-Noye, Willard (McEniry), Brand, O'Callaghan, Honey, Stiles (Collier). 

Sidley United 4 - 1 Lancing - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 28th March 2009

A Lawrence Brand hat-trick helped Sidley United to an impressive victory over Lancing. 

After Chris Honey and Micky O'Callaghan failed to take good chances Brand got the ball rolling when he ran in behind the Lancing defence to score on 35 minutes after good work by Darren Witham. 

Dan Griffin levelled for Lancing with a smart shot on the turn shortly after but Brand restored Sidley's lead with a 30 yard drive which left the away goalkeeper rooted to the spot. 

Brand completed his treble on 75 minutes after good work by Honey who laid the ball off to him to side foot home and the icing on the cake was supplied by O'Callaghan who lashed the ball into an empty net after beating the goalkeeper and defender to the ball. 

Blues had further chances to add to the scoreline as Adam Day's deliveries caused numerous problems for the visitors but no further goals were added. 

Sidley Team: Saunders, May, Witham (Hill), Poole, Podmore, Elliott-Noye, Willard, Brand, Day, O'Callaghan (Stiles), Honey. 

Sidley United 1 - 0 Loxwood - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 14th March 2009

A scrappy but useful win kept Sidley United's recent good form going on Saturday. 

After an uneventful first half hour Sidley should have gone in front when Chris Honey's shot from 3 yards was blocked on the line by Loxwood defender Duncan Hirschfeld. 

Loxwood had more of the play at the start of the second half and Kristian Sorenson headed just over before Honey struck the crossbar from Micky O'Callaghan's low cross. 

The solitary goal came in the 74th minute as O'Callaghan's corner was allowed to bounce and Brad Poole forced the ball home from close range. 

Adam Day hit a well struck volley straight at the goalkeeper before Nicky Stiles, on as a late substitute, hit the outside of the post while Loxwood had a late chance of their own but Ollie Lambkin's free kick defected off the Sidley wall and away to safety. 

Sidley Team: Saunders, May, Witham (Stiles), Poole, Podmore, Willard, Day, Elliott-Noye, Brand, O'Callaghan, Honey (Hill). 

Sidley United 3 - 2 Southwick - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 7th March 2009

Sidley United won this tight encounter thanks to Craig Willard's contentious late penalty. 

Chris Honey was a constant thorn in the visitors side and he scored the Blues' opening two goals. First he finished powerfully from Adam Day's chipped corner on 15 minutes and then finished off a flowing move involving Josh Elliott-Noye, Jimmy Watson, Ian May and Micky O'Callaghan on 65 minutes. 

But Sidley seemed almost determined to throw the game away as they failed to take a number of opportunities to get the third before Southwick struck on 75 minutes with a fortunate ricochet. 

And then the visitors raced forward to equalise in the final moments despite there being 2 fouls in the build up not given in Sidley's favour.

The referee possibly decided to make amends for not halting that move as he pointed to the spot deep into stoppage time after Honey went down unconvincingly under very minimal contact. Willard kept his cool to score and leave Southwick feeling very aggrieved at the manner of the defeat. 

Sidley Team: Saunders, Elliott-Noye, May, Poole, McEniry, Podmore, Willard, Brand, Day (Watson), O'Callaghan, Honey. 

Rye United 3 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Tuesday 3rd March 2009

Sidley United suffered a first defeat of 2009 as Rye came from behind to win with 2 goals in the final 10 minutes.

In dreadful conditions Sidley took the lead thanks to Adam Day's 17th minute penalty after a foul on Dan Hill but Rye equalised in freak fashion after 34 minutes as Scott Price's hopeful ball into the box got caught in the wind and looped over Jon Saunders in the Sidley goal.

In the second period Saunders made two good saves from Duncan McArthur and an even better one from Lewis Parsons' long range effort and it looked as if they may hold out for a draw.

However the resistance was broken on 84 minutes when a penalty was harshly awarded against Jamie Podmore for handball and McArthur stepped up to slot home the resulting penalty.

Parsons was then very lucky to stay on the pitch as what looked like a stamp on Chris Honey was punished only by a yellow card. And then as Sidley pushed forward in stoppage time, McArthur sealed both his hat-trick and the win for Rye with a classy finish. 

Sidley Team: Saunders, Elliott-Noye, Whiteman, Poole, Hill (Payne), Podmore, Willard, Brand (Watson), Day, O'Callaghan, Honey.

Wealden 1 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 28th February 2009

Sidley United were pegged back by a second half penalty as they were forced to settle for a point when they really should have had all 3.

The Blues preparations for the game were thrown into disarray when Gavin Bourne and Gregg Berry picked up injuries in training during the week while Chris Honey's late arrival due to work meant he had to make do with a place on the substitutes bench. 

Despite this Sidley controlled the first half and took the lead on 42 minutes when Nick Whiteman headed home after Micky O'Callaghan's corner was flicked on to him. Adam Day then hit the crossbar and O'Callaghan and Stuart Collier both fired over on the half volley just before the break. 

After the interval the Blues seemed to allow Wealden back into the game, conceding a number of free kicks deep in their half. 

But the hosts needed a penalty to square things up as Ian May's obvious handball was spotted by the referee and Stafford Browne made no mistake from the spot on 56 minutes. 

Sidley could still have won it but Collier fired over when well placed and Lawrence Brand screwed an effort just wide. 

Sidley Team: Saunders, May, Whiteman, Poole, Cornelius, Podmore, Willard, Brand, Day, O'Callaghan, Collier (Honey). 

Sidley United 0 - 0 Steyning Town - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 21st February 2009

The return to league action after 3 weeks absence proved to be a frustrating one as Sidley United dominated the first half but ultimately were unable to find the back of the net. 

Sidley seemed to feed off the confidence gained from the 1 - 1 draw with Eastbourne Borough on Monday night and they played some lovely football. 

Within the first 15 minutes Chris Honey had four attempts at goal while Nick Whiteman also flashed an effort just wide. At the other end Gavin Bourne, making his league debut in the Sidley goal, made a smart save to deny Andy Whittingham. 

Honey then went close with an overhead volley whole Whiteman had a shot cleared off the line by a Steyning defender. 

Sidley rather lost their impetus after the break and nearly went behind when James Pargeter's shot struck the crossbar but after that the game fizzled out and Sidley had to be content with a solitary point from their first goalless draw of the season. 

Sidley Team: Bourne, Cornelius, Poole, Podmore, Whiteman, May, Willard, Day (Berry), Brand, Honey (Elliott-Noye), O'Callaghan (Hill). 

Sidley United 1 - 1 Eastbourne Borough - Friendly - Monday 16th February 2009

It was a poignant night at Gullivers on Monday as Sidley United opened the new 'Duffell-Cox' stand with a friendly against a strong Eastbourne Borough side.

The parents of both players, who tragically died in a car accident in 2003, cut the ribbon to officially open the new stand before kick off in front of a crowd of over 300, followed by an impeccably observed minutes silence. 

When it came to the game, Borough often dominated possession as expected but Sidley defended doggedly to limit them to few chances. Matt Smart and Pat Harding both forced Saunders in the Sidley goal to make smart saves while at the other end Micky O'Callaghan headed over from virtually on the goalline.

In the second half Andy Atkin failed to make the most of a good opportunity for Borough before Adam Day put Sidley in front from the penalty spot after Gregg Berry was bundled over.

However Sidley were denied the win by a late strike from Ben Austin who scored via the woodwork following a free kick. However the result was immaterial on a night Sidley remembered two of their own.

Sidley Team: Saunders, May, Elliott-Noye, McEniry, Podmore, Corenlius, Brand, Day, Willard, O'Callaghan, Honey. Subs (all used): Watson, Hill, Collier, White, Berry, Bourne.

Lancing 1 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 31st January 2009

Sidley United recorded an excellent away win on Saturday to make it 3 wins on the spin. 

Lancing began strongly and had a goal ruled out when Rob O'Toole put the ball into the net following a clash between Phil Churchill and Jon Saunders, with the Sidley goalkeeper being awarded a free kick.

However Lancing did take the lead on 20 minutes as a Darren Boswell shot fell to Ryan Loversidge whose effort was hooked away by Matt Cornelius but the linesman flagged to indicate the ball had crossed the line despite the insistence of the Sidley defenders that it hadn't. 

Sidley changed shape at half time to a 3-4-3 and brought on Josh Elliott-Noye and Gregg Berry. As a result they enjoyed a resurgent second half and equalised when Micky O'Callaghan's low cross was turned into his own net by a Lancing defender from close range under heavy pressure from Chris Honey.

A draw was looking likely but right at the end substitute Gregg Berry burst into the Lancing box before calmly slotting past the home goalkeeper to give Sidley all three points.

Sidley Team: Saunders, May, Hill (Berry), Podmore, Poole, Willard, Cornelius, Day, Brand (Elliott-Noye), O'Callaghan (White), Honey.

Sidley United 3 - 1 Rustington - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 24th January 2009

An impressive second half performance helped Sidley United to shoot down second placed Rustington on Saturday as they came from behind to record back to back league wins. 

The visitors had threatened to run away with the game early on and took a 20th minute lead when the Blues defence unsuccessfully tried to play offside and Kirkham took full advantage to score. Only an excellent save by Jon Saunders prevented them from doubling their lead. 

But Sidley levelled 10 minutes before half time as Lawrence Brand's strike went through a sea of bodies and flashed past the unsighted goalkeeper. 

Early in the second half substitute Dan Hill smacked the Rustington crossbar with an audacious effort from near the halfway line before a diving Adam Day headed over when the goal was gaping. 

Gregg Berry was thrown on in the final 15 minutes as Sidley went in search of the winner and his pace made all the difference. With 10 minutes to go he sped away from his marker before finishing low underneath the goalkeeper. 

And Berry then won a late penalty when he was brought down by the away goalkeeper, earning the Rustington man a red card and leaving Day to slot the ball into the bottom corner from the spot and secure Sidley the win. 

Sidley Team: Saunders, Elliott-Noye, Edmonds (Hill), Cornelius, Poole, Whiteman, Day, Brand, Willard, Honey, O'Callaghan (Berry). 

Sidley United 3 - 0 Crawley Down - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 17th January 2008

Sidley United finally banished the memories of the Boxing Day defeat to neighbours Bexhill with a stunning win at Gullivers.

Micky O'Callaghan returned to the Sidley side and his presence seemed to help galvanise an already motivated team even further. 

Both sides fired chances over inside the first minute before Sidley gradually got on top. They were awarded a penalty on 20 minutes for a blatant handball which Adam Day tucked away at the second attempt. 

Nick Whiteman, Chris Honey and O'Callaghan all went close for a rampant Blues side but they had to wait until the second half to put the game to bed. 

Brad Poole headed in a corner on 60 minutes before O'Callaghan swept home the third five minutes later to cap a swift break. 

Sidley could have been awarded another penalty when the player who gave the first one away seemed to scoop the ball up with his hand but the referee chose not to blow his whistle. 

An excellent late save by Jon Saunders denied Crawley Down - who had only lost twice in the league before this game - a consolation goal on a terrific afternoon for the Blues. 

Sidley Team: Saunders, Cornelius (Hill), Poole, Whiteman, May, Edmonds (Elliott-Noye), Willard, Day, Brand, Honey, O'Callaghan (Berry). 

Bexhill United 1 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Friday 26th December 2008

The Boxing Day bragging rights went to Bexhill United on as Sidley's season hit a new low with this derby defeat. 

The two sides hadn't met in the league since Easter Monday 1998 and with both sides in poor form, more than just local pride was at stake. 

The Blues fielded an unchanged line up from the draw against Littlehampton but a stiff breeze and bobbly pitch made it tough for both sides with neither really looking like scoring in the first half. 

But 3 minutes into the second half Bexhill did find the net as Paul Tuppeney hit a 25 yard free kick past Jon Saunders in the Blues goal. 

Chris Honey lifted the ball over the crossbar and Nick Whiteman headed over with Sidley not actually registering a shot on target until Adam Day's effort in the 82nd minute, which was also their only effort to test the Bexhill goalkeeper. 

Credit must go to Bexhill who earned their first win for 2 months but serious questions need to be asked of this Sidley side and the management on the back of this shambolic performance. 

Sidley Team: Saunders, Elliott-Noye (Wooller), Edmonds (Hill), Willard, Whiteman, McEniry, Brand (Cornelius), May, Day, Honey, Berry. 

Sidley United 2 - 2 Littlehampton Town - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 20th December 2008

Individual mistakes again cost Sidley as their winless run extended to 10 games in all competitions. 

The Blues began well enough but Willie Edmonds gave away a daft penalty after 15 minutes which Gary Young tucked away to put Littlehampton in front. 

Sidley did level things up straight away though thanks to Adam Day's crisp finish into the top corner of the goal. But just before half time Jon Saunders completely missed a cross having dashed off his line allowing Jerry Manning to head into an empty net. 

Sidley levelled for a second time on 60 minutes as Lawrence Brand and Day combined to set up Chris Honey to score. The Blues went on to dictate the game in the latter stages without really creating a decent opportunity to earn the win. 

Sidley Team: Saunders, Willard, McEniry, Whiteman, May, Edmonds, Day, Brand, Elliott-Noye (Collier), Berry, Honey. 

Mile Oak 2 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 6th December 2008

Sidley United were denied an excellent away win as the home side struck twice in the final 10 minutes to keep their perfect home record in tact. 

Missing a number of key first team players the Blues gave a debut to Willie Edmonds who did well and the visitors had the better of the first half against their free scoring opponents. Chris Honey had a shot touched onto the post despite being surrounded by three defenders and moments later Dan Hill went close. 

In the second half Sidley hit the front when Gregg Berry latched onto a ball over the top by Josh Elliott-Noye and side footed past the home goalkeeper. 

Blues had further chances and looked comfortable until goalkeeper Jon Saunders gave a needless corner away trying to control the ball and kill some time. From that corner a second delivery into the box saw the unmarked Lloyd Skinner head home the equaliser. 

And right at the death Danny Curd popped up with the winner to break Sidley hearts and keep Oak's winning run at home going. 

Sidley Team: Saunders, Elliott-Noye, Edmonds, Cornelius, Poole, Podmore, Willard, Brand, Hill, Honey, Berry (Pegman). 

Sidlesham 2 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 29th November 2008

Sidley United twice came from behind to earn a point while Sidlesham's moved them off the bottom of the table. 

With Chris Honey late arriving he had to start on the bench as Sidley reshuffled with Gregg Berry and Nicky Stiles starting up front. 

The Blues fell behind on 20 minutes as Dean Platt scored for the home side with Nick Whiteman off the field receiving treatment for a suspected broken nose which led to him having to be replaced soon after.

But a great strike by Adam Day brought them level and Sidley almost went in front before half time when Stiles' cross was just beyond the arriving Dan Hill. 

Day was forced off after half time having picked up a knee injury from a nasty tackle and Sidlesham then caught Sidley on the break with Platt grabbing his second of the game to restore their lead. 

But Honey restored parity when he headed a deep free kick over the line with the ball having clearly crossed the line before Brad Poole made sure there were no doubts. 

Sidley Team: Saunders, May, Whiteman (Honey), Poole, Podmore, Willard, Day (McEniry), Brand, Hill, Stiles, Berry. 

Sidley United 2 - 4 Lancing - Division Two Challenge Cup Second Round - Saturday 22nd November 2008

Sidley United lost to Lancing in a second cup competition in the space of two months as they bowed out of the Division Two Challenge Cup.

In an entertaining match Blues could have gone in front when Chris Honey rounded the away goalkeeper but could only find the side netting. Lancing then struck as Adam Burton headed a cross into the net on 19 minutes to give the visitors the lead.

The rest of the first half saw both sides create a couple of presentable opportunities but unable to convert them. 

Sidley hauled themselves level straight after the restart as Honey glanced home Craig Willard's cross. That goal galvanised Lancing who went back in front on the hour mark as Adam Hunt struck a thunderous free kick into the roof of Saunders' net.

On 67 minutes Burton made it 3 - 1 to the visitors with a low finish from the right of the penalty area but Honey reduced the arrears minutes later as a misunderstanding between goalkeeper and defender allowed him a simple finish.

Dan Hill and Adam Day went close as Sidley pressed forward but Lancing wrapped up the game on the counter attack on 87 minutes as Bryan O'Toole turned and shot into the corner to seal the win.

Sidley Team: Saunders, May, Andrews (McEniry), Cornelius, Poole, Podmore, Willard, Brand, Day, Stiles (Hill), Honey.

Sidley United 2 - 2 Seaford Town - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 15th November 2008

It was a disappointing result for the Blues as they twice let a lead slip against 10 man Seaford Town who went top of the table with this point. 

Blues led after 14 minutes when Brad Poole's 35 yard shot slipped through the goalkeeper's hands and into the net.

Sidley had a great chance to double their lead just before the interval. Seaford defender Sean Brownell was penalised for pulling the shirt of Gregg Berry in the area and the referee awarded Blues a penalty as well as showing Brownell a red card for a professional foul. 

However Craig Willard's weak penalty was kept out and Seaford then levelled through a penalty of their own in the second half as Drew Greenall was fouled and Scott Dartnell stepped up to score the spot kick.

Josh Elliott-Noye thought he had won the game for the Blues on 72 minutes when he rose highest to head home a corner but into stoppage time a long ball came through to Greenall who steered the ball home to steal a point for the visitors.

Sidley Team: Saunders, May, Whiteman, Cornelius, Poole, Podmore, Brand, Willard, Honey, Berry (Hill), Elliott-Noye, 

Sidley United 3 - 3 Storrington - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 8th November 2008

Sidley United had to come from behind three times to earn a point at home to Storrington on Saturday. 

The Blues had more of the play early on but fell behind when Steve Tasker struck for Storrington. Sidley levelled through Nicky Stiles' deflected strike but the visitors led at the break as Richard Ayres reacted quickest to a fumble by home goalkeeper Jon Saunders. 

Half time substitute Gregg Berry won a penalty when he was pulled back in the area and Craig Willard made no mistake from the spot. But again the visitors went ahead as John Rhodie scored. 

However Berry earned Sidley a point with his first goal for the club and he almost went close to winning it late on. Chris Honey also threatened but Blues were unable to find a winner and came away with a point. 

Sidley Team: Saunders, Whiteman, Andrews (Berry), Cornelius, Poole, Podmore, Willard, Brand, Witham (Elliott-Noye), Honey, Stiles (Hill). 

Sidley United 1 - 3 Rye United - Hastings FA Senior Cup Semi Final - Tuesday 4th November 2008

Darren Witham had a memorable game on his return from a serious injury as he scored before being sent off as Sidley went down at home to Rye in the Hastings FA Senior Cup. 

Blues have debuts to Jamie Podmore and Dickie Anderson while Gregg Berry and Stuart Funnell also made debuts from the bench. Witham meanwhile returned almost a year to the day after breaking his ankle. 

Witham got Sidley off to a great start as he bent in a 24th minute free kick from 25 yards into the bottom corner. 

But Rye equalised 3 minutes before half time with a soft looking penalty awarded for a foul by Zac McEniry and Danny Woodley slammed home the spot kick. 

Witham was then shown a straight red card for foul and abusive language having grown frustrated with the referee's poor decision making on 53 minutes and Rye made the man advantage count. 

After both teams appeared to have genuine penalty claims turned down, Steve Johnson scored an excellent solo goal to put the visitors in front on 69 minutes. 

And Rye sealed the win on 88 minutes as Jon Saunders' clearance hit a Rye forward on the back and fell for Woodley to tap home. 

Sidley Team: Saunders, Whiteman, Anderson (Berry), Cornelius, McEniry (Funnell), Podmore, Willard, Elliott-Noye, Witham, Honey, Stiles (Pegman). 

Littlehampton Town 2 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 25th October 2008

The failure to take first half chances cost Sidley United as they went down to Littlehampton courtesy of two second half goals. 

Goalkeeper Jon Saunders was a virtual spectator as Sidley controlled the first 45 minutes and they took the lead when Nicky Stiles scored after being put through by Dan Hill. 

But Stiles, Hill and the returning Jimmy Watson all failed to add to the scoreline from good positions and after the interval those misses proved costly. 

Shortly before the break though Littlehampton's Danny Curd suffered a badly broken leg after catching his studs in the turf. 

In the second half a speculative shot from distance was spilled by Saunders and George Gaskin tapped home to level the scores before the home side won it when Jason Power headed home the winner from a corner. 

Sidley Team: Saunders, May, Andrews, Whiteman, Cornelius, Poole, Willard, Watson, Brand, Hill, Stiles (McEniry). 

Sidley United 1 - 4 Lancing - Sussex Senior Cup First Round - Saturday 18th October 2008

Sidley United suffered a disappointing home defeat as they bowed out of the Cup.

Blues had the first team opportunity as a Dan Hill cross fell into the path of Matt Cornelius who's shot was just too high. Lancing though took the lead as a Bryan O'Toole cross from the right was headed into the far corner by Adam Burton despite Saunders' best efforts to keep it out and Burton then added a second before the break.

Stuart Collier, Nicky Stiles and Matt Cornelius had sights of goal for the Blues but it was a rather disappointing first half performance. 

Early in the second half a fantastic through ball beat the Sidley offside trap and allowed Button to neatly complete his hat-trick. Sidley rallied and pulled a goal back through Nicky Stiles' low strike from just inside the penalty area but this proved to be as good as it got for the Blues as Lancing added a fourth through Darren Boswell late on after some poor Sidley marking. 

A disappointing result for the Blues against a tough Lancing outfit.

Sidley Team: Saunders, May, Andews, McEniry, Whiteman, Elliott-Noye, Cornelius, Willard, Hill, Stiles, Collier (Ray).

Sidley United 0 - 5 Westfield - SCFL Division Two - Tuesday 14th October 2008

Sidley United were shown a glimpse of a brighter recent past as three former Blues heroes tore them to pieces in the colours of neighbours Westfield, who went top as a result of this emphatic win. 

Former Sidley ace marksman Peter Baker rolled in two penalties for the visitors in the first half. The first on 10 minutes, given without anyone quite sure why, was initially saved by Jon Saunders only for Baker to put home the rebound while the second was converted on 33 minutes after a foul by Zac McEniry. 

Five minutes into the second half and former Sidley captain Graham Morris was allowed a free header at a corner to get Westfield's third before another ex Blue Dominic Clarke grabbed two goals on 67 and 75 minutes following some loose defensive play by the home side. 

Craig Willard had an effort touched onto the post by Westies goalkeeper Dan Foster before Nick Whiteman headed against tb e woodwork but in truth this was a horror night for the Sidley faithful who perhaps went away wishing their former players were still wearing the Blue shirt. 

Sidley Team: Saunders, Andrews, Poole (Stiles), McEniry, Whiteman, May, Willard, Day, Cornelius, Hill, Honey. 

Storrington 0 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 11th October 2008

Stuart Collier grabbed the only goal as Sidley United earned their second away win of the season at second bottom Storrington. 

On a bumpy pitch the Blues looked somewhat nervy early on but they soon settled down and took control of the encounter. 

The all important goal came just before half time as Zac McEniry's deep cross was headed back across goal by Nick Whiteman and Collier applied the finishing touch. 

In the second half Collier could have added another to his tally before Andy Pegman wasted a glorious chance. 

Storrington created little but with only a one goal advantage there was always the sense that Sidley could be made to pay for not killing the game off. But thankfully that wasn't the case and Blues came away with the points.

Sidley Team: Saunders, Andrews, McEniry, Poole, Whiteman, May, Day, Willard, Elliott-Noye, Pegman (Sillick), Collier. 

Sidley United 2 - 2 Peacehaven & Telscombe - SCFL Division Two - Tuesday 7th October 2008

A stunning injury time strike denied ten man Sidley United a win over a classy Peacehaven side on Tuesday night. 

The Blues got off to the perfect start as Stuart Collier executed a superb lob over the goalkeeper from wide on the left to put Sidley in front after just 4 minutes. 

Soon after half time they doubled their lead as Chris Honey chipped a half volley into the net from the edge of the penalty area. But Peacehaven got back into the game on 59 minutes when Owen Ball's loose clearance fell to Watson who drilled home from 20 yards. Ian May was then shown a second yellow card and Sidley were left to hang on to what they had. 

And as the game ticked into the fifth minute of stoppage time Dudson unleashed a rocket of a shot which ripped into the top corner of the net and earned the visitors a point. 

It may be seen as two points lost but there was no doubting Peacehaven's class and they will surely be up the top challenging for promotion come the end of the season. 

Sidley Team: Saunders, Ball (Andrews), McEniry, Poole, Whiteman, May, Willard, Cornelius, Day, Honey, Collier (Pegman). 

Rustington 2 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 4th October 2008

Sidley United turned in a dreadful display as they slumped to defeat at Rustington. 

The Blues elected to play Chris Honey as a lone striker but it didn't really work as too often they failed to get around him to offer support. 

In a game of few chances the home side took the lead on 25 minutes when the defence were all dragged to the near post allowing Bennett time and space to score. 

Brad Poole was then adjudged to have brought down his man just inside the area and Bibb tucked away the resulting penalty as Rustington made sure of the points. 

Sidley's best moments were a couple of crosses which just failed to find their intended target which just about sums up their performance. 

Sidley Team: Saunders, Poole, Ball, McEniry, Whiteman, Andrews (Sanderson), May, Day, Willard, Stiles, Honey. 

Sidley United 1 - 1 Wealden - SCFL Division Two - Tuesday 30th September 2008

Sidley United dropped their first home points of the campaign despite taking an early lead. 

Chris Honey put the Blues in front after just 3 minutes when he raced onto a through ball from Ian May before finishing coolly. 

Soon after Billy Trickett won a penalty after he charged down an attempted clearance. Trickett took the kick himself but his tame effort was comfortably saved. 

The game was only 9 minutes old when Wealden equalised as Lewis scored with a free kick. Brad Poole smashed the crossbar with a volley from a partially cleared corner as Sidley went on to dominate the game. 

Poole again hit the woodwork with a header while Nicky Stiles also fired just wide. Sidley could have had a penalty when a Wealden defender fell and scooped the ball with his hand but the referee chose not to give it. 

Sidley Team: Saunders, Ball, McEniry, Poole, May, Whiteman, Cornelius, Day, Trickett (Elliott-Noye), Stiles (Collier), Honey. 

Sidley United 4 - 1 Sidlesham - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 27th September 2008

Sidley United may have picked up three points but the afternoon was somewhat marred by the needless sending off of Adam Day. 

The Blues were 2 up inside 15 minutes as first Chris Honey powered home Day's corner before Nicky Stiles added a second with a neat left foot finish. 

Stiles grabbed the third goal just before half time with a right foot finish as Sidley put the game firmly beyond their opponents who are still without a win this season. 

But on the hour mark Day was shown a straight red card for raising his arm when tussling with an opponent and the home side were further angered moments later when Sidlesham were awarded a soft looking penalty for handball. 

Steve Sneller converted to reduce the arrears but Sidley got the fourth goal on 66 minutes when Honey's header came back off the post and Matt Cornelius followed up to score. 

Billy Trickett, Cornelius and Honey had further chances to add extra gloss to the score but the missed chances never looked like they would cost Sidley. 

Sidley Team: Saunders, Andrews, Hill (Collier), Ball, Poole, McEniry (Comeford) Day, Trickett, Cornelius, Honey, Stiles (Elliott-Noye). 

Sidley United 0 - 2 Hailsham Town - John O Hara Cup First Round Replay - Tuesday 23rd September 2008

Sidley United put up a brave display but ultimately bowed out of the John O Hara cup to Division One side Hailsham Town. 

The Blues gave a first start to Nicky Stiles up front but it was full back Ian May who had the best Sidley chances in the first half. 

The home side generally defended well, leaving little space for Hailsham to exploit and at half time they looked fairly comfortable. 

Sidley began the second half well but fell behind just before the hour mark when Brennan peeled off Zac McEniry and made no mistake with a simple header. 

Fairly soon after Brennan doubled Hailsham's lead with a counter attacking goal and although Sidley pushed forward searching for a route back into the game, the outcome was never much in doubt after the second goal went in. 

Sidley Team: Saunders, Ball, Poole, McEniry, Cornelius, May, Day, Stiles, Hill (Collier), Trickett, Honey. 

Sidley United 3 - 1 Midhurst & Easebourne - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 20th September 2008

Three fine goals helped Sidley United pick up their first home win of the season with victory over Midhurst & Easebourne. 

The visitors began well but Sidley gradually warmed up and deservedly opened the scoring on 35 minutes when Chris Honey won a tackle and played the ball into Billy Trickett who passed the ball into the opposite corner of the net. 

The Blues had a couple of other half chances before half time with Josh Elliott-Noye going close from an Adam Day corner. But 7 minutes into the second half Sidley struck again when Honey spectacularly headed home Ian May's cross. 

Midhurst pulled one back on 60 minutes through Gary Jones' excellent free kick from 25 yards which took a slight deflection on its way into the top corner. 

But a couple of minutes later Sidley restored their 2 goal lead when Matt Cornelius found the net with an impressive long range strike for his first goal for the club. 

The Blues comfortably saw out the game despite getting somewhat ragged with their passing late on. 

Sidley Team: Saunders, Ball, Poole, McEniry, Cornelius, May, Day, Elliott-Noye (Ray), Hill (Andrews), Honey, Trickett (Collier). 

Steyning Town 2 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 13th September 2008

Sidley United were left to rue a couple of mistakes which ultimately cost them the game on Saturday. 

The Blues fell behind after 10 minutes when they were caught square on the halfway line and despite a goal-line block by Owen Ball, Steyning managed to get the ball over the line. 

The home side doubled their lead on 31 minutes when Pickup headed home a left wing cross. Sidley enjoyed a good amount of possession but failed to really test the home goalkeeper until Chris Honey's header was tipped onto the crossbar. 

Despite having more of the ball in the second half, the closest Sidley came was when Terry Payne fired wide with 5 minutes to go on another disappointing night for the Blues. 

Sidley Team: Saunders, Whiteman, McEniry (May), Ball, Poole, Elliott-Noye, Cornelius (Ray), Day, Honey, Trickett (Collier), Payne. 

Ringmer 2 - 1 Sidley United - SCFA RUR Cup - Tuesday 9th September 2008

Sidley United exited the RUR cup away to higher grade Ringmer on Tuesday.

The hosts took the lead after 12 minutes as Blues' goalkeeper Jon Saunders lost the ball at a corner and Craig Brown's left foot strike found the back of the net.

Sidley found themselves camped inside their own half during the first half and Ringmer had another goal disallowed for offside.

In the second half Ringmer doubled their lead as Brown got his second although he was rather fortunate to do so. After having totally missed with his attempted connection the ball hit his standing foot and rolled into the net. But Sidley responsed and pulled a goal back through Chris Honey's diving header at the far post after 52 minutes.

The second half was a much more even affair and while Ringmer had chances they were grateful for a goal line clearance to deny Sidley drawing level.

The Blues dominated the closing stages but Zac McEniry's late drive from distance which flew over the bar was as close as they came to an equaliser which would have forced extra time.

Sidley Team: Saunders, Whiteman, McEniry, Ball, Sellick (Andrews), Elliott-Noye, Cornelius, Ray (Pugh), Honey, Trickett, Collier (Stiles). 

Dorking 3 - 1 Sidley United - FA Vase - Saturday 6th September 2008

Sidley United bowed out of their second cup competition in the space of a week as they went down to the Combined Counties League outfit. 

The Blues made a solid start with Terry Payne and Chris Honey having efforts saved but Jimmy Watson hobbled off after 20 minutes. 

The conditions made it difficult for both sides as one downpour before the match kicked off and another in the second half meant both sides also had to battle the elements as well as each other. 

But Dorking went ahead with 20 minutes to go courtesy of a penalty given against Ian May for handball before they doubled their lead with a shot which took a wicked deflection off Owen Ball. 

An unmarked Dorking player headed home a third goal at a corner but Sidley did at least notch a consolation as Stuart Collier turned home Honey's cross. 

Sidley Team: Saunders, Whiteman, McEniry, Ball, Poole, May, Cornelius (Elliott-Noye), Watson (Collier), Trickett, Honey, Payne. 

Sidley United 1 - 2 Eastbourne Town - FA Cup - Sunday 30th August 2008

Sidley United exited the FA Cup at the hands of higher grade Eastbourne Town in a game which was marred by a serious injury to Craig Willard.

Half time arrived with nothing much to note thanks largely to the impressive performances of both goalkeepers. In the second half Town took the lead through Danny Leach's header on 60 minutes but it was shortly afterwards that the main talking point of the match arrived.

Willard appeared to be on the end of a forearm smash by Town player Shaun Loft, causing Willard to be taken straight to hospital with blood pouring and his nose severely out of shape. Incredibly Loft was only shown a yellow card prompting a fierce exchange of words between the two benches.

Back to the football and Sidley were awarded a soft penalty for handball but Town goalkeeper Russell Tanner did well to get down to and keep out Billy Trickett's low strike. 

Eastbourne thought they had sealed the win in the second minute of stoppage time as Greg Manton scored but Stuart Collier pulled one back almost straight away after a driving run by Micky O'Callaghan. 

However Sidley had left it too late to get the equaliser and despite a heroic effort it was Town who progressed to the next round of the Cup.

Sidley Team: Saunders, Whiteman, McEniry, Ball, Poole (May), O'Callaghan, Willard (Ray), Watson, Trickett, Honey, Payne (Collier). 

Hailsham Town 2 - 2 Sidley United (AET) - John O Hara Cup First Round - Tuesday 26th August 2008

Sidley United came from behind to take higher grade Hailsham Town to a replay in the John O Hara Cup. 

Matt Cornelius came in for a debut at right back while new signings Terry Payne and Chris Honey formed a new look strike partnership. 

The home side started the stronger and they took the lead on 17 minutes as Steve Early headed home a corner. 

Seven minutes later Callum Holles' strike from just outside the area went in off the inside of the post to double Hailsham's lead. 

But within a minute of the restart Payne pulled a goal back after latching on to Cornelius' through ball. And Honey then restored parity as he thumped home Craig Willard's floated free kick. 

Neither team really fashioned a chance during extra time and so they will battle it out again at Gullies on a date to be announced. 

Sidley Team: Saunders, Whiteman, Cornelius, Ball (Andrews), May, McEniry, Willard, Trickett, Ray (Watson), Honey, Payne. 

Southwick 0 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 23rd August 2008

Sidley United picked up their first win of the season on Saturday with a hard fought win at Southwick. 

The home side enjoyed plenty of possession but failed to really trouble the Sidley back line. The Blues though struck on 14 minutes after good work by Ian May and Stuart Collier ended with Brian Ray heading home. 

Ray was replaced soon after when he picked up an injury and was replaced by new signing Terry Payne who came close to a debut goal but after rounding the goalkeeper he could only fire into the side netting. 

Jon Saunders had little to do in the away goal but made a smart save just before half time to keep Southwick at bay. In the second half Blues had further chances through Payne and Josh Elliott-Noye in an otherwise dull second half.

Sidley Team: Saunders, Whiteman, Ball, Poole, May, McEniry, Willard, Trickett, O'Callaghan (Stiles), Ray (Payne), Collier (Elliott-Noye). 

Sidley United 4 - 2 Farnham Town - FA Cup - Sunday 17th August 2008

Sidley United won their opening FA Cup match of the season thanks to a hat-trick from Stuart Collier.

On an overcast Sunday afternoon, United fell behind after 7 minutes to Richard McCann's low strike from outside the area. However the Blues rallied and Billy Trickett and Craig Willard had efforts blocked before Brad Poole had a header saved well just before half time. 

Collier brought Sidley level after a mistake by the Farnham goalkeeper on 48 minutes. Steve Harding restored Farnham's lead on 62 minutes when he turned home a cross from the left but Brian Ray again brought Sidley level with a smart flick just three minutes later.

Blues then went in front for the first time as Ian May's long throw was flicked on by Brad Poole and turned home by Collier on the volley. 

Farnham pushed forward and had a goal disallowed in the 84th minute for a push but Sidley wrapped the game up in the 6th minute of stoppage time as Collier completed his hat trick by latching on to a ball over the top and beating the onrushing goalkeeper. The win earned Sidley £750 in prize money and set up a tie against Eastbourne Town in the next round.

Sidley Team: Saunders, Whiteman, Ball, Poole, May, McEniry, Willard, Trickett, O'Callaghan (Stiles), Ray (Elliott-Noye), Collier. 

Seaford Town 4 - 1 Sidley United SCFL Division Two - Wednesday 13th August 2008

Sidley United conceded another 4 goal haul on Wednesday as their poor start to the season continued at Seaford. 

With the wind in their favour, Seaford had the Blues on the back foot for most of the first half but went in at the break only a goal to the good. Owen Ball pulled Tom Callaghan's shirt in the penalty area and the same player converted the resulting spot kick on 26 minutes. The closest Sidley came was a Billy Trickett shot which bobbled into the arms of the home goalkeeper. 

With the Blues remaining on the back foot for most of the second half it was no surprise that the home side scored again with Drew Greenall breaking the offside trap before calmly finishing on 61 minutes.

On 68 minutes Kieran Perkins got in on the act from a corner after Sidley failed to clear the ball at the near post before Seaford's fourth arrived on 78 minutes as Alex Keaney scored directly from a corner.

Sidley at least did notch their first goal of the campaign as Stuart Collier grabbed a consolation 7 minutes from time when he lobbed the goalkeeper from the right side of the penalty area but it made little difference to the outcome and Sidley went home still yet to register a point in the new campaign.

Sidley Team: Saunders, Clifton (Stiles), May, Ball, Poole, Whiteman, O'Callaghan, Ray, Moore (Collier), Trickett, Elliott-Noye (McEniry). 

Loxwood 4 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division Two - Saturday 9th August 2008

Sidley United endured a nightmare return to Division Two football as they slumped to a heavy opening day defeat at Loxwood.

Sidley started the opening 20 minutes well but last season's Division Three champions took the lead on 33 minutes as Blues' goalkeeper Jon Saunders spilled a straightforward cross allowing Nick Tilley to fire into an empty net. 

The half time team talk appeared to have no effect as Sidley conceded soon after the restart when Craig Grantham applied the finishing touch to a long throw. 

Loxwood's third goal on 57 minutes was almost a carbon copy of the second with Tilley this time finishing while 10 minutes from time Grantham notched his second to round off the scoring. 

Sidley had half chances through Micky O'Callaghan, Josh Elliott-Noye and Zac McEniry but ultimately it was a disappointing start to the campaign. 

Sidley Team: Saunders, Ball, Poole, McEniry, May, Clifton (Andrews), Elliott-Noye, Sanderson, O'Callaghan (Farthing), Trickett, Moore (Stiles). 


Sponsor & Advertising

Sidley Team 2022/23

Click on Matchday programme to see all of our Sponsorship & advertising opportunities for 2023/24Join us on Facebook