Reports from Sidley United's seasons in the Sussex County Football League

Season 2007/08


Hailsham Town 1 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Friday 18th April 2008

Relegated Sidley United ended their troubled season with defeat at Hailsham Town on Friday night.

The only goal of the game - which was also the 100th Sidley have conceded in the league this season - came after 11 minutes when Steve Monk unleashed a stunning strike from 30 yards which sped past Jon Saunders and dipped into the net.

Hailsham also struck the crossbar from another long range effort as they made the most of playing with the wind at their backs in the first half. At the other end Steve Morris had a couple of efforts blocked and Nick Whitman might have done better from a Craig Willard free kick but Sidley struggled to really test the home goalkeeper.

The second half was even more disappointing as Sidley never got close to really testing the Hailsham goal and so it remains to be seen whether they will be given any kind of reprieve or whether they will spend next season in Division Two.

Sidley Team: Saunders, Whiteman, Ball, Poole, May (Collier), Day, Willard, Watson, Elliott-Noye, Morris, O'Callaghan.

Sidley United 0 - 1 Arundel - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 15th April 2008

Sidley United's heroic effort to complete the great escape ended in failure as they were relegated from Division One after losing at home to Arundel.

For all their efforts in this match the Blues failed to really create many goalscoring opportunities and the closest they came was a late header from Nick Whiteman. 

Arundel hit the post twice through Dave Walker's looping header an Rob Grove's drive which cannoned off the crossbar. 

But they did find the Sidley net when Dave Hall's volley from just inside the box bounced over Blues goalkeeper Jon Saunders 7 minutes from the time. 

Sidley's recent winning run had given hope of a late charge to safety but ultimately a poor first half of the season left them with too much to do. They travel to Hailsham on Friday in search of three points that may at least enable them to avoid finishing bottom. 

Sidley Team: Saunders, May, Poole, Ball, L Wood (Whiteman), Willard, Watson, Trickett (Collier), O'Callaghan, Morris. 

Sidley United 0 - 1 Westfield (AET) - Hastings Senior Cup Final - Wednesday 9th April 2008

Sidley United's hopes of lifting some silverware from a desperate season ended in failure as Westfield claimed the Hastings & District Senior Cup at Gullivers thanks to former star man Peter Baker's extra time penalty.

Division Two side Westfield just about deserved their win, having been slightly the better side in a game with alarmingly few goalscoring opportunities. Whilst there was plenty of effort on both sides, the defences were very much on top.

Dominic Clark went close with a couple of headers inlcuding one which forced Peter Newstead into a plunging low save and although Baker followed up to score, the offside flag was raised to deny him.

Sidley struggled to test Will Toal in the Westfield goal at all with their best chances falling to Billy Trickett and Josh Elliott-Noye who were both off target as the game moved into extra time.

And it was Baker who won the penalty when Zac McEniry pulled him back in the area. Baker himself took the kick and sent Newstead the wrong way to seal the trophy and to leave Sidley to focus on two hugely important league games to try and save themselves from relegation.

Sidley Team: Newstead (Saunders), Whiteman (Collier), May, L Wood (McEniry), Ball, Poole, Willard, Elliott-Noye, Day, Trickett, Morris.

Sidley United 2 - 0 Shoreham - SCFL Division One - Saturday 5th April 2008

Sidley United took another giant step towards pulling off the great escape with a vital win at home to Shoreham on Saturday.

The Blues remembered former player Perry Weedon before kick off, with the players linking arms as they observed a minutes silence in memory of the former midfielder who passed away after a short illness. 

Sidley were second best against the John O Hara cup winners in the first half, often finding their long balls from the back running away from the forward players. Shoreham played some good football without creating a noteworthy attempt on goal as Sidley dealt with several crosses into their penalty area.

Steve Morris had the best chance of the first half when his left footed effort was saved by the legs of Shoreham goalkeeper Lee Denyer following an excellent ball over the top by Billy Trickett. Shoreham continued to look the stronger after the break and were only denied by a remendous last ditch challenge during a goal-mouth scramble.

That reprieve seemed to lift Sidley who struck in the 71st minute. Denyer dropped a routine cross by Nick Whiteman and Morris slammed the ball home to the joy of the home faithful. The Blues took control after that and added a second goal six minutes later as Micky O'Callaghan drove forward before playing in Craig Willard for his first goal of the season.

A good day for the Blues was made even better when news came through that relegation rivals Worthing United and Chichester City United were both beaten, giving Blues sight of a dramatic late escape.

Sidley Team: Saunders, Whiteman, Ball, Poole, L Wood, Willard, Watson, Day, O'Callaghan, Trickett, Morris.

Sidley United 3 - 2 Rye United - SCFL Division One - Monday 24th March 2008

A 94th minute Steve Morris penalty sealed a dramatic derby win for Sidley United on Easter Monday in the battle of the bottom two.

It was Rye who started the better though as Adam Day blocked a shot from Sam Edwards on the goalline before Jack Dixon fired the visitors in front on 12 minutes.

Sidley rallied and equalised midway through the half when Jimmy Watson's effort crashed off the crossbar and Steve Morris tapped home from close range. But Rye immediately restored the lead as Dixon's shot as parried and Chris Gould slid the ball home.

Rye almost had a third before the interval as Ian May headed an excellent effort off the line.

After the break, Sidley were the more threatening and went close through Billy Trickett and Micky O'Callaghan. Eventually O'Callaghan got the goal Sidley had been threatening, turning the ball home at the far post after Morris's cross.

And in a frantic finale, Rye's discipline seemed to disappear as Chris Rea was shown a second yellow for hauling down Morris just outside the area before Blues won the stoppage time penalty.

From the ball into the box, Rye's Lewis Parsons was penalised for a foul and was then shown a straight red card for a headbutt on Lee Wood in the melee that ensued. Morris kept his nerve to seal the win with practically the last kick of the game. 

Sidley Team: Newstead, May (Wooller), O'Callaghan, Ball, Poole, Wood, Watson, Willard, Trickett (Moore), Day, Morris. 

Sidley United 3 - 2 Worthing United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 15th March 2008

Sidley United moved off the bottom of the table with this come from behind victory over Worthing United.

It was a nightmare start though for the Blues as Gavin Jones put Worthing 2 goals to the good inside 10 minutes. Sidley then lost key player Shae Spreafico to injury but defied the odds to come back to win. 

First Blues won a penalty on 18 minutes after a needless shove on Micky O'Callaghan and Billy Trickett sent Worthing goalkeeper Tony Di Bernardo the wrong way.

Di Bernardo produced two good saves to deny Jimmy Watson and Adam Day while at the other end Jamie Stapleton headed against the Blues' crossbar before half time. 

Watson headed Blues level when he met O'Callaghan's corner with a looping header on 58 minutes. And then, to Sidley delight, Trickett struck a winner 9 minutes later as Di Bernardo missed a cross under pressure from Morris and Trickett prodded home.

In stoppage time Worthing were reduced to ten men as Richard Ghent was shown a second yellow card for a foul on Brad Poole and Sidley held on for a win which lifted them off the bottom for the first time in months. 

Sidley Team: Newstead, Ball, Poole, Wood, O'Callaghan, Day, Watson, Willard, Spreafico (May), Trickett, Morris. 

Sidley United 2 - 0 Pagham - SCFL Division One - Saturday 8th March 2008

Sidley United made it 1 defeat in 5 matches with an excellent win over mid-table Pagham on Saturday.

Three first half was a dreadful affair with Sidley frequently frustrated with the ball running away with the strong wind. In the rare goalmouth action Morris poked just wide from Craig Willard's cross and Adam Day's free kick was just wide. 

But the breakthrough came on 70 minutes as Owen Ball released Morris and the powerful forward held off a defender to slot home. 

The second goal which came five minutes later was really all down to Shae Spreafico as the talented player somehow kept a ball from Adam Day in which everyone else seemed to have given up on and he cut the ball back for Trickett to fire home on the half volley. 

Sidley remain bottom of the table but have now managed to close to within 2 points of near neighbours Rye United.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Ball, O'Callaghan, Wood, Poole, Day, Watson, Willard, Spreafico, Trickett, Morris. 

Sidley United 0 - 0 East Preston - SCFL Division One - Saturday 1st March 2008

While picking up a point against third placed outfit East Preston could be seen as a creditable result, in truth it probably isn't enough for Sidley United given the situation they find themselves in at the foot of the table.

The Blues were second best during a wind swept opening quarter of an hour and James Rhodes was whiskers away from putting East Preston in front.

But Sidley held their own and Steve Morris shot straight at away goalkeeper Tom Rand in a half where chances were at a premium. The conditions were in Sidley's favour in the second half but they took a while to get going while Tom Lawley struck the post for East Preston with a shot from outside the penalty area.

Dan Moore was introduced off the bench hoping to replicate last week's winning strike as Sidley switched to a more positive 3-4-3 formation. Adam Day went close from an angle as the Blues shaded an end to end half of football but ultimately with no goals produced they had to settle for their first goalless draw of the season which does little to increase their chances of beating the drop.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Ball, O'Callaghan, L Wood, McEniry, May, Watson (Moore), Willard, Day, Trickett, Morris.

Sidley United 2 - 1 Chichester City United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 23rd February 2008

Sidley United showed they are not prepared to go down without a fight as they recorded their fourth win of the season when they came from behind to beat relegation rivals Chichester City United.

The Blues set the tempo from the beginning and Lee Wood should have scored from point blank range but his header thudded against goalkeeper Peter Rice. Other opportunities for Shae Spreafico, Steve Morris, Adam Day and Owen Ball all failed to be taken.

Chichester had offered next to no threat but took a surprise lead four minutes before half time as James Gregory unleashed a spectacular half volley which dipped beyond the outstretched arm of Peter Newstead to nestle in the far corner of the net.

Sidley got back on level terms though after 63 minutes after Spreafico had done well to win possession and released Ian May whose pinpoint cross was finished off by Morris' downward header. Adrian Brockway nearly put the visitors back in front with a chipped free kick from near the byline but Newstead managed to divert the ball onto the crossbar.

But the home side got the goal they deserved as more good play by Spreafico set up substitute Dan Moore who rifled a low finish under the advancing Rice with practically his first touch. Morris and Moore both went close to extending the lead while Rice was somehow shown only a yellow card for chopping down Spreafico outside the area as he went past the goalkeeper.

However Sidley held on for a deserved win which they hope will bring about new life into their battle against the drop.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Ball, Tudor, L Wood, Poole, May, Trickett, Day, Spreafico, Buay (Moore), Morris.

Crowborough Athletic 1 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 19th February 2008

Sidley United were beaten in controversial circumstances on Tuesday to remain deep in relegation trouble.

The Blues defended well in the first half as Athletic were mainly restricted to efforts from distance. The one genuine chance they created saw Dave Adams head whiskers wide from Dean Chamberlain's driven free kick.

In the second half Sidley began to really dominate proceedings. Steve Morris had an effort spectacularly tipped over the bar and from the resulting corner, home defender Danny Baker handled Lee Wood's header. Jimmy Watson turned the ball into the net but rather than award the goal the referee had already blown for the penalty and showed Baker the red card.

However Morris' penalty was saved by goalkeeper Mark Oldroyd diving to his right before Watson headed against the post from another corner. 

And Blues were made to pay on 66 minutes as former Blue Wes Tate played the ball across goal for Wayne Clarke to tap home. The hosts seemed to deal with Sidley's aerial bombardment fairly comfortably as they saw out the game.

Sidley remain 15 points from safety with 8 games to go.

Sidley Team: Newstead, May (Buay), O'Callaghan, Ball, Wood, Poole (Trickett), Willard, Watson, Watts (Day), Spreafico, Morris. 

Sidley United 2 - 2 Oakwood - SCFL Division One - Saturday 16th February 2008

Sidley United produced a rousing late fightback to salvage a point against Oakwood on Saturday. 

It was a disappointing first half display though as all too often the ball failed to stick up front, although Shae Spreafico had a decent appeal for a penalty turned down.

Oakwood enjoyed a decent amount of possession without really troubling the home goal until they took the lead with a tremendous solo strike on 30 minutes.

In the second half Sidley really started to come at their opponents with Craig Willard and Steve Morris going close but they were made to pay on the break as a shot went underneath the unsighted Peter Newstead to double the visitors advantage.

Sidley gave themselves some hope on 84 minutes when a quickly taken free kick was dispatched into the top corner by Morris while the visiting goalkeeper was busy lining up his wall. And Billy Trickett, who had pushed up front for the closing stages, grabbed the equaliser when he prodded home in the final few minutes.

There was still time for Morris to blaze over the bar from inside the six yard box after Spreafico had beaten two men on the left but Sidley couldn't find the winning goal.

Sidley Team: Newstead, May, Harrison (Buay), Ball, L Wood, Poole (Trickett), Willard, Day (Watts), Watson, Spreafico, Morris.

Redhill 2 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 9th February 2008

Sidley United snatched defeat from the jaws of victory as two late goals from 10 man Redhill overturned this match.

There was little goalmouth action during the first half as both sides too often found attacks breaking down when they got near to the penalty area. 

But in the second half a 20 yard strike from Kele Buay put Sidley in front on 60 minutes. And when Redhill lost Jason Barton to a second yellow card for a two footed challenge, Sidley looked set to record back to back wins for the first time all season.

However, Lee Wood had to be substituted after picking up an injury to his back and that, coupled with the introduction of a lightning fast Redhill winger, destabilised Sidley's back line.

It was the substitute's 80th minute cross which found Tommy Brown to notch the equaliser. And four minutes into a lengthy amount of injury time Brown struck a wonderful shot into the top corner beyond the dive of Sidley goalkeper Peter Newstead.

Even then Sidley may have got something out of the game but substitute Lee Watts fired inches over after being picked out by Micky O'Callaghan.

Sidley Team: Newstead, May, Harrison, Ball, L Wood (Trickett), Poole, Willard, O'Callaghan, Watson (Watts), Spreafico, Buay (Day).

Sidley United 1 - 0 Wick - SCFL Division One - Saturday 2nd February 2008

Sidley United finally arrested their dire run of results thanks in no small part to the return to action of five key players.

Craig Willard's early volley was well saved and Lee Wood headed the resulting corner into the goalkeeper's arms as Sidley started positively.

And after an even battle in the middle of the field, Blues grabbed what turned out to be the winning goal on 40 minutes as Dave Ward headed in after good approach play by Micky O'Callaghan and Jimmy Watson.

The visitors clearly felt that Julian Curnow had hooked Ward's effort off the goal-line but the referee's assistant immediately flagged to award the goal.

Peter Newstead pulled off a good save from Tom Manson to ensure Sidley went in at the break a goal to the good.

Although Wick had more pressure in the second half, they failed to get behind the Sidley back line with Newstead only required to make saves from distance, which he managed comfortably.

And while nerves were understandably were frayed towards the end, the Blues held on to record only their second league win since the opening day.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Ward, Harrison, Ball, L Wood, Poole, Willard, O'Callaghan, Watson, Spreafico, Morris (Buay).

Three Bridges 4 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One -Saturday 26th January 2008

Sidley United took another beating on Saturday as the relegation trap door looms ever nearer.

The Blues' were two down within eight minutes as Bridges struck through Sam Thornback and Nathan Davis.

The visitors grabbed a lifeline somewhat fortuitously on 30 minutes when Steve Morris' cross-cum-shot bounced over the goalkeeper and into the net.

Zac McEniry headed just inches over just before the break and Brad Poole was denied by a good save just afterwards.

But Sidley paid the price for failing to close down Hassan Nyang who struck in the 53rd minute for the home side and Warren Whitely sealed their victory towards the end.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Elliott-Noye, Tudor, Wood, Poole (Sully), McEniry, Trickett, Willard, Morris, Spreafico, Buay (Collier).

Pagham 1 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 12th January 2008

Sidley United finally ended their losing run thanks to Billy Trickett's late penalty but may have come away with all three points.

The Blues travelled to the far side of the county having lost their last 10 league matches but they were up for it against Pagham. 

The first half produced little in the way of goalmouth action but a rare mistake by Peter Newstead allwoed Jamie Angell to fire the home side in front on 24 minutes, the ball slipping through the goalkeepers hand's and Angell nipping in to make no mistake.

Newstead did atone for his error not long after, keeping out an effort destined for the top left corner.

Sidley changed shape at half time and this seemed to have some effect as Spreafico, Trickett and Buay all had reasonable chances before Spreafico won a penalty which Trickett stepped up to slot home.

Buay may have won it late on after he rounded the goalkeeper but he was unable to find the back of the net.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Ball, Wood, Poole, Tudor, Andrews (Sully), Willard, Trickett, Elliott-Noye, Buay (McEntire), Spreafico.

Shoreham 3 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 5th January 2008

A new year has begun but it was the same old story for Sidley United as they showed plenty of promise but ultimately suffered another defeat.

It was a positive first half from the Blues as Shae Spreafico shot wide from inside the six yard box and Billy Trickett missed the target with a free header while at the other end Peter Newstead made a decent save.

The visitors pace slowed as the rain lashed down and after the interval they were punished by the home side. Neil Kane put Shoreham ahead on 53 minutesm, squeezing the ball home from an acute angle despite the best efforts of Owen Ball on the goal-line.

Dean Smith then beat Newstead with a free header from a free kick needlessly given away on 61 minutes.

Spreafico was causing the home side problems and despite losing Adam Day to a badly swollen ankle, Sidley were still in the game. But any hopes of a comeback were extinguished on 71 minutes in unbelievable circumstances. Newstead had the ball home in his hands and as he went to kick the ball downfield, Owen Callaghan pinched it off his toe and put the ball in the net and referee Darren Eaton allowed the goal to stand.

Despite this, Sidley kept plugging away and got a consolation when Callum Wooller tapped home the rebound from Steve Morris' initial shot.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Ward (Moore), Harrison (May), Wood, Trickett, Ball, Willard, Day (Wooller), O'Callaghan, Spreafico, Morris.

Sidley United 2 - 4 Whitehawk - SCFL Division One - Saturday 29th December 2007

Sidley United ran the league leaders close in a much improved performance following the embarrassment of Boxing Day.

Blues changed formation for this match seeking more defensive solidity, electing to play a 3-5-2 shape. 

Whitehawk went in front with a header from a corner and doubled their lead as Sidley got caught by a ball over the top.

Blues pulled one back when Callum Wooller played a delightful ball into Shae Spreafico, who scored at the second attempt.

And Blues levelled 5 minutes into the second half as Wooller got the final touch to a move involving Owen Ball, Paul Balch, Dave Ward and Spreafico.

Whitehawk retook the lead with a rather softly awarded free kick before Sidley had a big penalty appeal for a foul on Spreafico turned down.

Owen Ball was unfortunate to turn the ball into his own net following an initial save by Saunders as the visitors wrapped up the victory and despite the much improved performance, Sidley again came away empty handed. 

Sidley Team: Saunders, Ward, Ball, Wood, Trickett, O'Callaghan, Willard, Day, Wooller (Moore), Spreafico, Balch (May).

Rye United 7 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Wednesday 26th December 2007

Despite taking an early lead, Sidley United ended up heavily beaten on Boxing Day at the hands of near neighbours and relegation rivals Rye United. 

Home goalkeeper Gavin Bourne was forced into an early stop by Callum Wooller before Sidley took the lead in the 12th minute as a hanging cross from Craig Willard wasn't dealt with and Billy Trickett hooked in the loose ball.

Willard struck the crossbar from distance on 20 minutes as Rye could only half clear another corner as Sidley were very much in control. However the complexion of the game changed five minutes before half time as Rye equalised when Shaun Loft drilled home after Blues failed to deal with a long throw and then Scott Price was needlessly fouled by Owen Ball for a penalty three minutes later which Price converted.

A minute after that, a left wing free kick was allowed to reach the unmarked Sam Edwards who made no mistake and out of nowhere, Sidley went in at the break 3 - 1 down.

Sidley enjoyed a decent spell of possession at the start of the second half but conceded another penalty when Ian May bundled over Jack Dixon and Price stroked home the spot kick which went through Peter Newstead's gloves. After that Rye appeared to carve open the Sidley defence at will and Jono Richardson was played in for their fifth goal on 76 minutes.

Dixon struck with a shot into the bottom corner six minutes later and Justin Jirbandey completed the rout in the 86th minute against a Sidley side which were frankly pretty woeful with the exceptions of Billy Trickett and Shae Spreafico.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Ward, May (McEniry), Ball, Trickett, O'Callaghan, Day, Willard, Wooller, Spreafico, Morris.

Sidley United 2 - 6 Three Bridges - SCFL Division One - Saturday 22nd December 2007

The goals keep raining in but not at the end we would hope for as Three Bridges hit six goals on route to victory at Gullivers on Saturday. 

Not even the return of brilliant youngster Shae Spreafico could help Sidley United to a positive result, despite the fact that he tormented the visiting defenders during the first half of this encounter, going close with two chances that he carved out for himself. 

Craig Willard's own goal set the tone for the afternoon although it wasn't on the cards when Steve Morris levelled as he cut across the penalty and unleashed a spectacular strike into the top corner.

Frustratingly though after Micky O'Callaghan had an effort just wide, Sidley sat back and Bridges restored their lead shortly before the break following a move down the left. 

In the second half it all began to fall apart for the Blues as Owen Ball lost his footing to hand Bridges their third goal and O'Callaghan was sent off for protesting that Ball had been fouled. Within 30 seconds of the restart Adam Day was shown a straight red card after he launched into a tackle off the ground.

Sidley were simply overrun after that as Carl Dunk latched onto a long ball over the top before he rounded Peter Newstead to score and William Peauroux's strike deflected off Ball for number five. Billy Trickett pulled one back from a softly awarded penalty only for Peauroux to glance in a near post free kick right at the death.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Ward (Ray), Harrison, Trickett, Ball, Sanderson (Wooller), Day, Willard, O'Callaghan, Spreafico, Morris (May).

Arundel 5 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 15th December 2007

Sidley United suffered another tough day in the Sussex County league as they were heavily beaten at Arundel. 

Manager Andy Laskey admitted the lack of quality in the side was on show as they were again forced to field a heavily inexperienced line up following the withdrawal of four midfielders.

The Blues put the home side under some early pressure as Kele Buay and Steve Morris both went close but once Stuart Hack opened the scoring for Arundel on 37 minutes with a side foot volley, the result was fairly inevitable.

In almost identical fashion to the first goal, Jason Wimbleton added the second on 54 minutes before Chris Hibberd scored a deflected goal 6 minutes later.

Wimbleton finished well on 74 minutes and he completed his hat-trick with another deflected strike on 87 minutes which dribbled over the line. For Sidley Darren Clifton's debut performance was about the most positive thing they could take away from the evening as their losing streak continued.

Sidley Team: Newstead, May, Clifton, Morris, Trickett, Ball, Ray, O'Callaghan, Richardson (Elliott-Noye), Buay (Larkin), Moore.

East Preston 3 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 1st December 2007

It was another inexperienced Sidley United side on Saturday who gave a decent performance but came away with nothing.

The Blues fielded only three players who began the St Francis Rangers game on Tuesday night while new signing Brian Ray started having joined from Eastbourne Town.

After a shaky first five minutes, Sidley did settle and Ray had a decent effort which he couldn't quite lift over the home goalkeeper while Dave Ward had an effort from distance fly just wide. But East Preston struck in the 37th minute as Sidley were caught napping by a quickly taken free kick

White bagged their second goal mid-way through the second half as he beat Peter Newstead to a long boot downfield. And the hosts made sure of the points with a third goal late on when Budge struck to extend their unbeaten run to 12 matches and leave Sidley a long way adrift at the foot of the table.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Andrews, Tudor, McEniry, Poole, Ward, Ray, O'Callaghan May, Buay (Richardson), Moore.

Sidley United 0 - 2 St Francis Rangers - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 27th November 2007

Another home defeat in the driving rain left Sidley United twelve points adrift of safety on Tuesday night.

Missing a number of several experienced players, the reality is becoming apparent that the Blues are not good enough at the moment at this level.

St Francis Rangers played some neat football early on, pressing Blues goalkeeper Jon Saunders into action on several occasions. Sidley came into the game more as the half wore on and Mark Funnell shot just wide following good work by Dan Moore and Chris Sanderson.

But seconds into the second half St Francis were awarded a penalty against Billy Trickett for a foul and Chris Maynard stroked home the spot kick. Sidley scarcely looked like carving out an equaliser, their best chance falling to Funnell who skied his half volley from Micky O'Callaghan's free kick.

Sam Jeremiah made sure of the points for St Francis right on the 90th minute with a sublime chip to leave Blues with a mountain to climb if they are to avoid relegation.

Sidley Team: Saunders, Ward, Harrison, Morris, Trickett, Sanderson (May), Day, O'Callaghan (Richardson), Funnell, Balch, Moore (Andrews).

Sidley United 0 - 1 Redhill - SCFL Division One - Saturday 24th November 2007

Sidley United may have been beaten but at least restored some pride after their humilation last week, this time going down to a single goal at home to Redhill.

Redhill had the better of the first half in which Sidley tended to stand too far off their opponents. The visitors unleashed a number of shots at goal but Peter Newstead saved well from former St Leonards man Tony Reid in their only clear-cut chance.

The goal they had threatened did arrive though just seconds before the interval as a floated ball into the area wasn't dealt with and Billy Jackson was given too much time and space to pick his spot as Sidley appealed for an offside flag which never came.

Redhill looked in control in the second half and nearly doubled their lead but Newstead kept out Michael Azzopardo's close range header. At the other end Keley Buay stung the palms of the Redhill goalkeeper following a good ball in by Adam Day and Mark Larkin fractionally headed over from Micky O'Callaghan's cross.

O'Callaghan also went close with a shot from just outside the penalty area before Redhill were reduced to ten men when Jon Hogg was shown a straight red card for a high and nasty lunge at debutant Blues player Martin Richardson who had just been brought on. 

Larkin failed to get enough purchase on his header late on while Steve MOrris blazed over as Redhill held on.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Ward, Harrison (Andrews), Morris, Trickett, May (Richardson), Day, Sanderson, Larkin, Buay, O'Callaghan.

Selsey 10 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 17th November 2007

Andy Laskey declared he would not resign as Sidley manager after the absolute embarrassment of a 10 - 0 drubbing away at Selsey on Saturday.

Sidley were blown apart by Selsey who struck four times in the opening quarter of an hour. Woolf headed them in front inside 2 minutes and Brown made it 2 - 0 with a shot that Peter Newstead may have done better with. 

Daren Pearce got the third from the penalty spot, Woolf bagged his second after Ian May was caught in possession, Ridley slotted the fifth after a free kick went through a ruck of players and Hinshelwood finished off a move down the right to put the hosts 6 - 0 up at half time. 

The Blues fared slightly better in the second half but heads dropped after Ridley stuck a lovely half volley from 30 yards. More got 2 further goals and Morey also scored as Selsey made it to double figures. 

Serious questions need to be asked in the wake of this result as Sidley suffered their heaviest beating in living memory. 

Sidley Team: Newstead, May, Andrews, L Wood, Trickery, Moore, Sanderson, Day, Larkin, Bennett (Elliott-Noye), Morris (Buay). 

Sidley United 3 - 0 Bexhill United - Hastings Senior Cup Semi Final - Wednesday 13th November 2007

A depleted Sidley United made it through to the final of the Hastings Senior Cup after seeing off local rivals Bexhill United.

Bexhill began strongly with Gordon Cuddington making some dynamic runs from midfield. But Sidley gradually got on top and only a last ditch block from Gary Hempe denied Kele Buay from giving Blues the lead.

But Bexhill came strongly in the second half with evergreen striker Peter Heritage denied before Will Dunstall hit the crossbar. But with neither side able to break the deadlock the game moved into extra time.

In extra time, Sidley began to get on top and debutant Ben Bennett headed in Adam Day's corner on 101 minutes. And Sidley doubled their lead just before the end of the first extra period when Lee Wood nodded in another Day corner.

And as the game approached it's dying embers, Steve Morris sealed the win with an excellent third to set up a meeting with Westfield later in the season.

Sidley Team: Newstead, May (Normoyle), Tudor (Andrews), Wood, Trickett, Moore, Day, Funnell, Buay (Sanderson), Bennett, Morris.

Eastbourne United Association 2 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 10th November 2007

Sidley United slumped back to the bottom of the table courtesy of their defeat to Eastbourne United along with Rye United's win over Three Bridges. 

Micky O'Callaghan made his first appearance since having rejoined from Rye United and the fit again Adam Day also returned. Mark Funnell flicked on a couple of long throws early on but nobody was on hand at the far post to turn the ball home.

Eastbourne though enjoyed the better of the first half and they took a 15th minute lead as Tom Morton struck after Ian May's airshot and Lucas Mann made it 2 - 0 on 34 minutes.

Sidley switched formation to play 3 up front for the final 20 minutes but the closest they came was a couple of blocked shots by Paul Balch and Kele Buay.

The Blues did feel they should have had a penalty when Dan Moore was upended in the home box but the referee thought otherwise on another disappointing evening.

Sidley Team: Saunders, May, Tudor (Trickett), Morris, Andrews, O'Callaghan, Day, Funnell, Balch, Moore (Larkin), Buay.

Sidley United 3 - 3 Ringmer - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 6th November 2007

An uplifting performance and result was overshadowed by a terrible injury to Darren Witham on Tuesday night. 

Despite only being able to name one substitute, Sidley played with commitment and an improvement on quality against seventh placed Ringmer although the visitors struck first as Miles Scerri made no mistake from close range on 21 minutes after a shot was parried out by Blues' goalkeeper Jon Saunders.

Marc Whiteman then capped an excellent 32nd minute move with an angled drive to make it 2 - 0 but the Blues finished the half strongly as Lee Wood was denied by a goal-line clearance and Dan Moore missed two good chances.

They finally struck four minutes into the second half as Kele Buay netted his first Sidley goal after Ringmer goalkeeper Joe Adams failed to deal with Billy Trickett's cross. The Blues, with renewed confidence, then equalised as Moore bagged the goal his performance merited on 62 minutes when he fired into the bottom corner from just inside the area.

But the game was marred by Witham's shocking injury as Mark Price's awful challenge broke his leg in three places. Incredibly Price was only booked for the challenge and that injustice was deepened when he notched Ringmer's stoppage time equaliser after Buay had put Sidley in front 5 minutes earlier when he raced onto a long ball and fired past the onrushing Adams. It could have got worse for Sidley but Scerri struck the inside of the post for Rinmger in the dying seconds.

Sidley Team: Saunders, May, Tudor, L Wood, Andrews, Witham (Elliott-Noye), Trickett, Funnell, Balch, Moore, Buay.

Wick 5 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 3rd November 2007

Another heavy defeat was inflicted on Sidley United on Saturday as they were soundly beaten at Wick.

It was a similar story to the defeat at Crowborough Athletic on Tuesday as the Blues started the match well. Steve Morris had a shot touched into the side-netting when through on goal and Mark Funnell was narrowly off target with a pair of headers.

But Dominic Shepherd mopped up after Jon Saunders spilled a shot to give the hosts a 29th minute lead which they took to the break. Sidley started well again in the second half only to fall apart as they stood appealing for offside which allowed Scott Murfin a free run on goal to make it 2 - 0 on 60 minutes.

Heads then visibly dropped, possession was squandered too easily and Wick ran riot. A howler of an own goal from Lee Wood made it 3 when his attempted header back to Saunders rolled past him and into the net before Neil Murfin thumped home the fourth on the half volley from the edge of the area.

And Sidley notched a second own goal of the day when Morris turned the ball into his own net to complete the rout while they also finished with 10 men as Owen Ball picked up an injury after manager Andy Laskey had used both substitutes available to him.

Sidley Team: Saunders, May, Andrews (Elliott-Noye), Bal, L Wood, Witham, Trickett, Vinall, Funnell, Morris, Buay (Moore).

Crowborough Athletic 6 - 0 Sidley United - Sussex Senior Cup Second Round - Tuesday 30th October 2007

It was another bad night for Sidley United who exited another cup competition with a heavy defeat, this time to title favourites Crowborough Athletic.

The Blues actually started quite well and could arguably claim to have had the better of the game in the opening quarter of an hour. However their good work was undone by three quick goals for the home side. Bobby Godfrey netted the first on 35 minutes before the home side won a hugely contentious penalty when Owen Ball was adjudged to have fouled his man and Dean Chamberlain tucked away the resulting spot kick.

Just before the interval John Sinclair made no mistake with a free header as the game began to slip away from Sidley.

In the second half it was the turn of former Sidley player Wes Tate to inflict further damage on the beleagured Blues. He claimed a hat trick which included a stunning thunderbolt which goalkeeper Peter Newstead did well even to get his hands to. The Blues failed to create anything of note on another deeply disappointing evening.

Sidley Team: Saunders, May, Poole (Andrews), L Wood, Ball, Watson (Elliott-Noye), Funnell, Trickett, Witham, Morris, Buay (Moore).

St Francis Rangers 2 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 27th October 2007

Sidley United suffered their fourth straight defeat as they went down to St Francis Rangers on Saturday. 

Billy Trickett and Steve Morris both went close for the Blues early on while St Francis also had a number of opportunities.

But two goals in a five minute spell towards the end of the first half proved the difference as Sam Jeremiah rcaed onto a through ball from former Brighton & Hove Albion man Geoff Pitcher and scored before Pitcher netted a sublime chip from 18 yards.

Sidley managed a response in the 82nd minute when Mark Funnell's header was pushed onto the crossbar but bounced over the goal-line. Sidley went all out in search of the equaliser and Darren Witham and Kele Buay almost got through but ultimately Sidley fell short.

Sidley Team: Saunders, Poole (Buay), L Wood, May, Ball (Andrews), Witham, Watson, Ramsden (Vinall), Funnell, Tricket, Morris.

Sidley United 0 - 2 Hassocks - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 23rd October 2007

A second half brace from Anthony Hibbert condemned Sidley United to another home defeat.

The best chance of the first half fell to Steve Morris who headed just wide from a Darren Witham free kick. Hassocks' best chance fell to Phil Gault who was denied by a good save by Jon Saunders in the Blues goal. 

It took until the 65th minute for the deadlock to be broken and it was the visitors who went in front when Micky Turner was hauled down in the area by Brad Poole and Hibbert sent Jon Saunders the wrong way from the spot.

Sidley were then reduced to 10 men 5 minutes later as Gavin Ramsden was shown a straight red card for coming through the back of Turner just as he was about to be substituted. 

Despite this, Blues pushed another man forward as they sought something out of the game. However they were caught on 76 minutes as Hibbert surged forward and unleashed an effort from 20 yards which flew past Saunders and into the net.

Steve Morris came close to grabbing a consolation goal in stoppage time but Hassocks snuffed him out and went away with all three points.

Sidley Team: Saunders, May, Ball, Poole (Vinall), Wood, Witham, Watson, Ramsden, Funnell (Trickett), Day (Buay), Morris. 

Sidley United 0 - 6 Redhill - SCFA RUR Cup Second Round - Saturday 20th October 2017

Sidley United's troubled season hit a new low as they were smashed at home by Division One rivals Redhill.

A mistake from goalkeeper Dan Auer gifted Tony Reid the opening goal and Reid made it 2 - 0 with a free header. Jamie Sinclair added the third before the 20th minute when he turned home a cross from the right to all but kill the game as a contest.

A low free kick from Steve Morris was all Sidley really managed to produce which was saved well. In truth at that stage the Blues looked as if they were feeling sorry for themselves and lacked any sort of belief that they could get something from the game.

Wayne Robinson struck a brilliant fourth goal into the top corner on 60 minutes. John Difford tapped in the fifth goal following another move down the right and Robinson finished things off with a good strike from the edge of the penalty area.

The Blues gave a run out to new signing Billy Trickett but it will not be a game to remember for any positive aspect.

Sidley Team: Auer, May, Witham, Poole (Andrews), L Wood, Watson, Ramsden (Trickett), Funnell, Day, Buay, Morris.

Sidley United 0 - 5 Crowborough Athletic - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 16th October 2007

Sidley United experienced something of a footballing lesson Tuesday night as they were crushed by Crowborough Athletic. 

The visitors hit the front when a scuffed clearance by Anthony Andrews fell to John Sinclair who put Crows in front while Chris Dicker got their second goal with a free kick given away by Darren Witham.

The Blues plan at half time was to tighten up and mount a late rally but that plan was blown out of the water as Crowborough scored within 30 seconds of the restart. A Crows player spotted Dan Auer off his line and although Auer kept out the effort, the resulting corner was turned in by Tom Nowell.

The fourth goal came as Sidley appealed for an offside flag that never came allowing Sinclair to score while Dicker got his second and Crows' fifth as he finished off a good move down the left hand side.

While Kele Buay and Steve Morris worked hard up front, they never really fashioned the chances to bring Blues some joy.

Sidley Team: Auer, Andrews, Witham, L Wood, Poole (Tudor), May, Watson, Funnell (Ramsden), Day, Buay, Morris.

Midhurst & Easebourne 2 - 3 Sidley United - Sussex Senior Cup - Saturday 13th October 2007

Sidley United came through a tricky tie at Second Division Midhurst & Eastbourne to progress to the Second Round.

Already missing a number of players Sidley also had to contend with losing Jimmy Watson and Nick Whiteman late on. The Blues found themselves a goal behind on 26 minutes when they failed to react to a shot which came back off the crossbar and Lewis Hamilton tucked home past goalkeeper Dan Auer.

Auer made a number of good saves to keep Sidley in the game while at the other end Dale Vinall twice went close.

Brad Poole levelled the game 10 minutes into the second half with a header from a corner and not long after that Steve Morris put Sidley in front when he got on the end of a Darren Witham free kick.

Midhurst levelled through Gary Norgate's far post finish on 63 minutes but Morris struck what proved to be the winner with a couple of minutes remaining when he unleashed an unstoppable half volley to book the Blues trip to Crowborough Athletic in the next round.

Sidley Team: Auer, Poole, L Wood, Andrews, Elliott-Noye, Day, Witham, May, Vinall, Buay, Morris.

Crawley Down 3 - 0 Sidley United - John O Hara Cup Second Round Replay - Tuesday 9th October 2007

Sidley United were dumped out of the John O Hara cup after losing this replay to Divison Two side Crawley Down. 

The Blues began pretty well but they fell behind on 20 minutes as Dan Auer stayed on his line and Mark Saunders beat Nick Whiteman to head home a corner.

Jimmy Watson was inches away from getting on the end of Sidley's best move although they were often guilty of poor decisions when they got near the home goal.

They conceded a poor second goal 5 minutes into the second half as the defence stopped in a vain attempt to appeal for an offside which allowed James Upton plenty of time and space to make it 2 - 0. Saunders then took advantage of Sidley's change of formation which left him one-on-one at the back and he scored the home side's third goal on 70 minutes.

Dale Vinall struck a post in Sidley's best moment but all over the pitch Sidley were second best and the home side came away with a deserved win to progress to the next round.

Sidley Team: Auer, May, Tudor (Moore), Whiteman, L Wood, Witham (Elliott-Noye), Day, Watson, Buay, Morris, Vinall (Andrews).

Sidley United 3 - 2 Selsey - SCFL Division One - Saturday 6th October 2007

Two late goals from Steve Morris hauled Sidley United off the bottom of the table as they came from behind to see off Selsey on Saturday. 

The Blues struck the first blow after 7 minutes as Owen Ball headed home at the far post after the Selsey goalkeeper missed a corner, although not long after Ball had to be replaced after he pulled his hamstring.

Sidley looked reasonably comfortable until 10 minutes into the second half when Lee Wood conceded a needless free kick in a dangerous position and although Dan Auer parried the initial effort, Ross Wolfe followed up to score.

The visitors then went in front on 70 minutes after Nathan Tudor dived in near the corner flag allowing Tom Ridley to get away from him and score. The Blues rolled their sleeves upthough and hauled themselves level when Morris rose above a packed defence to head home an Adam Day corner on 80 minutes.

And Morris then got the winner on 87 minutes with a stunning half volley which ripped past the visiting goalkeeper and into the net.

Sidley Team: Auer, May, L Wood, Whiteman, Tudor, Witham, Day, Watson, Ball (Vinall), S Morris, Buay.

Sidley United 0 - 3 Eastbourne United Association - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 2nd October 2007

Sidley United were made to pay for another slow start as Eastbourne scored all three goals in the first half on route to their win at Gullivers on Tuesday night.

The Blues could have been behind inside the first minute but they were punished on 7 minutes as Mark Warren was presented with a simple tap in.

Despite a poor first half performance Sidley could have equalised when Jimmy Watson headed wide from Adam Day's free kick and Kele Buat had a shot blocked.

But Warren headed home his second in the 35th minute from another move down Sidley's left hand side and Lock completed the scoring with a shot which defeated Blues goalkeeper Dan Auer at his near post.

The second half saw a much improved performance from Sidley but they never really looked like they would trouble the visiting backline.

Sidley Team: Auer, May, Andrews (Witham), Whiteman, L Wood, Poole (Tudor), Watson, Ball (Vinall), Buay, Funnell, Day.

Sidley United 2 - 2 Crawley Down - John O Hara Cup Second Round - Saturday 29th September 2007

Sidley United were held at home by lower league opposition in the John O Hara cup on another frustrating afternoon.

The Blues were without eight first team players for the cup game with manager Andy Laskey even naming himself on the bench while a number of Reserve and Under 18 players were promoted into the side.

Sidley actually started well and took an early lead through Steve Morris' tremendous third minute strike. Crawley Down levelled four minutes before half time when Gareth Neathey's initial shot from a free kick may have crossed the line but Darren Fryer made sure.

The Blues went back in front on 52 minutes as Lee Wood poked the ball home from inside the six yard box following a corner. However the Division Two side scored a second equaliser in the 85th minute courtesy of Fryer's deflected strike.

Dale Vinall did strike the crossbar for Sidley late on but the game rather petered out and a replay will be needed to decide who will progress to the next round.

Sidley Team: Auer, May, Tudor, L Wood, Whiteman, Andrews, Watson, Day, Buay, Vinall (Short), Morris (Fletcher).

Sidley United 2 - 4 Hailsham Town - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 25th September 2007

Sidley United slumped to the bottom of the table after this home defeat and Rye managed to beat Eastbourne United Association. 

The Blues were out of this contest before half time as Hailsham struck three goals before half time. Only three minutes into the game Peter Cooper struck when the home defenders stopped to appeal that the ball had gone out of play. Cooper then got his second goal after 15 minutes from the penalty spot after a foul by Anthony Andrews and he completed his hat-trick on 38 minutes with a free header.

Sidley gave themselves a glimmer of hope before half time when Brad Poole headed home a corner. At half time Sidley switched formation and although they enjoyed more possession in the second period, they failed to create many goalscoring opportunities.

Cooper completed his and Hailsham's scoring for the night with another penalty 10 minutes from time when Lee Wood was penalised for a shirt pull in the area before Andrews scored Sidley's second goal with a looping header late on.

Sidley Team: Auer, Witham, Poole, L Wood, Andrews, Tudor (Buay), Day, Watson, Ball, Price, Morris.

Rye United 2 - 1 Sidley United - FA Vase - Saturday 22nd September 2007

Sidley United were dumped out of the FA Vase by former player Scott McDonald's brace on Saturday.

Rye started brightly and Micky O'Callaghan and McDonald both forced Peter Newstead into outstanding saves to keep Sidley level. The Blues lost Lee Wood after 10 minutes when he succumbed to a freak neck injury picked up travelling to the game and his replacement Anthony Andrews was guilty of a poor header which let in McDonald who coolly lobbed the onrushing Newstead to give Rye the lead.

Scott Price did head home an Adam Day corner for Sidley but the goal was disallowed for a push while Sidley suffered another blow when Newstead had to hobble off after twisting his ankle in making a save from Shaun Loft's looping header.

From the resulting corner McDonald grabbed his second goal when Blues substitute goalkeeper Jon Saunders missed his punch.

Steve Morris had a goal ruled out for offside as Sidley came forward much more in the second half. Kele Buay almost grabbed a goal but at the other end O'Callaghan spurned a gilt-edged chance to put Rye three up.

Sidley did grab a goal when Price headed a corner down for Lee Wood to turn home. Rye had to survive a nervy last few minutes but they held on to end Sidley's interest in the competition for another season.

Sidley Team: Newstead (Saunders), May (Buay), Witham, Poole, L Wood (Andrews), Day, Watson, Price, Wooller, J Wood, Morris.

Sidley United 2 - 1 St Francis Rangers - SCFA RUR Cup First Round - Saturday 15th September 2007

Sidley United marked their first home game of the season with their first win of the season as they progressed in the SCFA RUR Cup.

The Blues took an early lead as Steve Morris won a brave header which released Jordan Wood to give them a fourth minute lead.

Only a few minutes later Sidley lost Gavin Ramsden to an injury but they were still able to control the majority of the game albeit with relatively little goalscoring opportunities created. On the positive side they got to half time for the first time this season without conceding.

An Adam Day effort was all that Sidley mustered in the second half until they struck when Kele Buay delivered a superb cross which Morris met with a thumping header to double the Blues lead with 20 minutes to go.

St Francis Rangers grabbed a consolation with the very last kick of the game as Owen Ball was adjudged to have tripped an opponent just inside the area and Paul Young struck home the penalty but it didn't spoil Sidley's evening. Sidley will host Redhill in the Second Round.

Sidley Team: Newstead, May, Witham, Ball, L Wood, Ramsden (Andrews), Wooller (Tudor), Funnell, J Wood (Buay), Day, Morris.

Hassocks 4 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 8th September 2007

It was a nightmare afternoon for the Blues who ended the game with 10 men as they were heavily beaten at Hassocks.

Blues rarely got out of their half and it was no surprise when Hassocks went in front on 24 minutes. Phil Gault laid the ball back to Anthony Hibbert whose shot was kicked back to him by Sidley goalkeeper Saunders and Hibbert made no mistake from close range.

Worse was to come as Matt Amos broke free before being hauled down by Owen Ball, leaving the referee no choice but to show Ball the red card.

Amos then added a second on 46 minutes, finishing past Saunders after good work by Spencer Slaughter. Blues best chance came from an Adam Day free kick which was well saved.

Matt Robbins fired home Hassocks' third on 74 minutes from 10 yards before Gault added the fourth on 83 minutes when Jon Saunders missed his kick allowing Gault to tap into an empty net. 

A tough evening for the Blues who will look to respond quickly with a better showing in the next game. 

Sidley Team: Saunders, Witham, Ball, May, L Wood, Day, Ramsden, Price (Vinall), Wooller (Elliott-Noye), J Wood (Buay), Funnell. 

Ringmer 3 - 3 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 4th September 2007

Sidley United came close to upsetting a County league big gun as they played out a lively draw with second placed Ringmer.

The Blues made a positive start kicking up the slope and Scott Price headed them into a 6th minute lead after Steve Morris did well to hold off Ringmer's Sam Adams and hook the ball across.

Ringmer equalised nine minutes later when Marc Whiteman glanced in Joe Dryer's driven corner at the near post past debutant goalkeeper Dan Auer. Auer then kept Sidley level by making a splendid save to his left to keep out Whiteman's penalty while he also tipped over an Eddie Koboah strike.

Sidley continued to ask plenty of questions of the Redhill defence though and Morris gave the Blues a half time lead with a brilliant diving header to meet Adam Day's cross.

The frantic pace of the game continued in the second half but Sidley felt comfortable until Danny McLaughlin centred for Jack Johnson to level on 59 minutes. Blues thought they should have had a penalty when Morris went to ground but might have also conceded one when the ball appeared to strike the arm of Darren Witham.

However it was at the other end that Witham got his most telling contribution as his delightful chip put Sidley 3 - 2 up with 10 minutes to go. Ringmer drew level once again just three minutes later as Whiteman's effort defeated Auer. Even then Sidley could have grabbed a winner but Price's effort hit the post and another shot was cleared off the line in the dying seconds.

Sidley Team: Auer, May (Andrews), Witham, L Wood, Ball, Day, Ramsden, Price, Funnell (Buay), Morris, Vinall (Wooller).

Chichester City 2 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 1st September 2007

Sidley United slipped to another defeat on Saturday, this time away at Chichester.

Blues fell behind after 11 minutes when Jamie Laidlow dispossessed a Sidley defender and fired past Peter Newstead with a thumping finish.

But Sidley levelled on the half hour as Newstead's kick upfield skimmed off a Chichester defender's head and fell invitingly for Steve Morris to steer past the Chichester goalkeeper.

Sidley saw efforts from Morris and Mark Funnell cleared off the line in the second half before Chichester grabbed the winning goal on 80 minutes as Warren Hunt turned in a Laidlow cross from the left.

Sidley Team: Newstead, May, Ball, L Wood, Witham, Day, Wooller, Ramsden, Funnell, Buay (Vinall), Morris. 

Oakwood 2 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 25th August 2007

Sidley United were made to pay for failing to take their chances as they slumped to a third defeat in a row at  Oakwood on Saturday. 

The Blues build up play was impressive but the finishing failed to match it. A glut of chances came and went with the pick of them being when Mark Funnell hit the inside of the post and the ball rolled across the line and hit the other post before being cleared. 

Jimmy Watson also thought he had scored with a rasping volley only to see the Oakwood goalkeeper make an excellent save. 

And as so often seems to happen they were made to pay at the other end as Gavin George headed the home side into a 7th minute lead. 

The home side doubled their advantage midway through the second half as Sidley made a hash of a goal kick and George Hillier took advantage to score. 

Blues still may have got something out of the game but Scott Price and Adam Day both failed to finish when clean through on goal. 

Sidley Team: Newstead, May, Witham (J Wood), Ball (Andrews), L Wood, Day, Ramsden, Price, Watson (Buay), Funnell, Morris. 

Redhill 3 - 1 Sidley United - FA Cup - Saturday 18th August 2007

Sidley United missed out on a potential money spinning tie against Dover Athletic after being dumped out of the FA Cup by Redhill.

The Blues went into the game without Adam Day, Owen Ball and Nick Whiteham but did welcome back regular goalkeeper Peter Newstead. However one of his first acts was to pick the ball out of the back of his net as the home side struck after just 4 minutes. A free kick into the box appeared to cannon off the shoulder of Lee Wood and into the Sidley goal.

Newstead then made a tremendous save to deny Tony Reid while at the other end Jordan Wood fired just past the post, picking up an injury in doing so.

10 minutes after half time Redhill got their second goal as another free kick saw Jimmy Carter net with a free header inside the six yard box. Sidley switched to a 3-4-3 shape in an attempt to get forward but the extra space allowed Carter to claim his second when he rounded off a flowing four man move.

Mark Funnell did at least grab Sidley a consolation with a fine header from a corner and he almost struck a second time late on but Redhill held firm to progress to the next round.

Sidley Team: Newstead, May, Witham, S Morris, L Wood, Ramsden, Price, Watson, Wooller (Vinall), Funnell, J Wood (Cullum).

Whitehawk 2 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 14th August 2007

Sidley United gave last season's runners up a run for their money but ultimately came away with nothing in atrocious weather conditions on Tuesday night.

The Blues kicked down the slope in the first half but into the face of the howling wind and torrential rain and often found it difficult to clear their lines.

When the ball did go forward, it rarely stuck and Whitehawk enjoyed plenty of possession without really creating any clear-cut chances.

But the home side went ahead in the 35th minute when Blues only half cleared a free kick and Toby Phillips pounced. 

Sidley opted to change shape at half time and they enjoyed a better spell in the second half. There was also a controversial moment when the referee initially pointed to the spot right at the start of the second half only to then change his mind and award Sidley a free kick right on the edge of the area for handball instead, which ultimately came to nothing.

Substitute Dale Vinall had a shot cleared off the line as Sidley searched for the equaliser but a defensive mix up led to Matt Allen scoring the second goal for Whitehawk on 75 minutes. Steve Morris then hit the post for the Blues but they couldn't find a response that would have made the final moments slightly more tense for the home side.

Sidley Team: Hedges, May, Witham, Ball, L Wood, Day, Watson, Funnell, Morris, J Wood (Oliver), Wooller (Elliott-Noye).

Worthing United 1 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 11th August 2007

Sidley United's problematic pre-season was forgotten about as they picked up a welcome three points at Worthing United on the opening day of the season.

Blues were rocked by the resignation of Keith Miles just nine days before the start of the season, leaving Andy Laskey in sole charge while key players Peter Baker, Scott McDonald and Chris Honey all departed meaning that Steve Morris and Jordan Wood formed a new look strike partnership.

And Sidley started sluggishly here with Danny Azimi putting the ball in the back of the Blues' net after just 30 seconds, only to find the offside flag raised against him. Nine minutes later though Azimi did score when his effort flashed beyond Jon Saunders and into the far corner of the net.

Scott Price was then denied while Jordan Wood flashed an effort across goal before making no mistake on 38 minutes with a drilled finish from an Ian May through ball to bring Sidley level.

Moments after wasting a one-on-one chance, Steve Morris grabbed the winning goal just before the hour mark when he evaded a couple of half hearted challenges on the edge of the box before turning and firing low into the net.

Straight from the restart Saunders did well to parry from Gavin Jones who late on almost snatched a draw when his close range header was somehow deflected away for a corner.

A fire in a nearby field meant the second half was played with the backdrop of billowing smoke but Sidley kept their cool to hold on to the points.

Sidley Team: Saunders, May, Witham, L Wood, Whiteman (Ball), Price, Watson, Day, Ramsden, J Wood, S Morris. 


Sponsor & Advertising

Sidley Team 2022/23

Click on Matchday programme to see all of our Sponsorship & advertising opportunities for 2024/25Join us on Facebook