The 2020/21 season was curtailed due to the Coronavirus pandemic. The MSFL decided to split the league into a top/bottom half mini league competition to complete the season, with all teams starting on a weighted Points Per Game (PPG) total in their respective halves.

Sidley United 4 - 0 Willingdon Athletic - MSFL Premier Division - Saturday 12th December 2020

Alan Foster notched a hat trick as Sidley United returned to the top of the table with a convincing victory over ten man Willingdon Athletic. 

It was the visitors who had the first chance of this match early on however as a cross from the left found Tom Addems who hit the underside of the crossbar. But the Blues took the lead when Josh Elliott-Noye climbed well to win a header and while Willingdon stopped to appeal for a foul, Foster latched onto the ball to round goalkeeper Dan Holt and slot the ball home on 14 minutes.

Sidley would double their lead on 19 minutes as a brilliant one-two on the edge of the area between Foster and Lee Carey saw the latter hit a thunderous strike which gave Holt no chance as it flew high into the net. 

Carey was involved in the next significant act of the game when Willingdon's John Reeves went in for a challenge on him, missing the ball and catching Carey high on the knee with the referee brandishing a straight red card on 35 minutes. Sidley maybe dropped their level for the rest of the half with Blues goalkeeper Phil Hawkins making a good save late on but they went in at the break firmly in charge of the match.

It was all about one man in the second half though as Foster made it 3 - 0 when his low finish from Danny Ellis' ball to him deceived the goalkeeper and found the back of the net on 56 minutes. 

The visitors valiantly tried to get forward but found it hard to stop the one way traffic with Sidley frequently camped around the Willingdon penalty area without finding the killer ball. 

Foster had a great chance to complete his hat-trick on 77 minutes when Ellis was brought down in the area but he blazed his spot kick over the crossbar. But he was not to be denied and just four minutes later he picked the ball up on the edge of the area, turned his man and curled the ball into the corner of the net to claim the match ball. 

A pleasing win was capped by the clean sheet the Blues very much wanted and with results elsewhere going in their favour, the Blues are back on top with games in hand. Next week they travel to Forest Row - the only side to have beaten them this season - in their final match of 2020. 

Sidley Team: Hawkins, Saunders (Clifford), McEniry, Hickman-Smith, Whybourne, Elliott-Noye, Bristow (Wells), Foster, Ellis, Carey, Trickett (Elphick). 

Sporting Lindfield 2 - 2 Sidley United - MSFL Premier Division - Saturday 5th December 2020

A contentious penalty kick, which was the final action of the game, denied a rusty Sidley United a win on their return to football. 

After an enforced month off, the Blues found it a struggle to get going on a poor pitch in the first half and fell behind on 20 minutes as a ball in from the right was turned home from close range by Alex Pollard giving debutant goalkeeper Phil Hawkins no chance. 

The home side were battling for every ball and seemed more determined however the game seemed to turn in Sidley's favour as Sporting's Tony Hughes was shown a straight red card for violent conduct towards Lee Carey who was booked for his part in the flashpoint. But even that failed to yield immediate benefits with the Blues only creating a couple of half chances as they went in at the break a goal behind. 

Making use of the new 'rolling subs' rule, both sides made changes and Sidley began to threaten. On 60 minutes home goalkeeper Harry Stewart made an excellent save to deny Alan Foster but from the resulting corner from the left Danny Ellis headed home from close range to bring Sidley level. 

With the momentum in their favour Sidley pushed for the next goal but it was from another set piece that they got it as a corner from the other side found Rhys Whybourne who headed the ball down and into the net on 77 minutes. 

The game, which had become needly with bookings on both sides, seemed to be in Sidley's pocket but the crucial third goal didn't arrive as Charlie Cornford missed a good chance to seal it before the final second drama unfolded. 

After the Blues failed to hold onto the ball high up the pitch. Sporting broke forward and after a coming together of players the referee pointed to the spot, to lots of arguments. However the referee was set on his decision and Daryl Mothee slotted home the spot kick with the referee blowing for full time immediately after 

Two points dropped in the circumstances but maybe Sidley would have considered themselves fortunate if they had taken all three. Next week the Blues are back at home as they welcome Willingdon Athletic to Little Common Rec.

Sidley Team: Hawkins, Clifford, Walker, Hickman-Smith, Elliott-Noye, Bristow, Foster, Ellis, Carey, Cornford, Baldwin. Subs: McEniry, Whybourne, Elphick, Trickett, Wells.

Hollington United 1 - 4 Sidley United - MSFL Premier Division - Saturday 24th October 2020

A brace from Sean Baldwin helped Sidley United to a commanding win in this top of the table clash. 

The visitors began confidently but the opening exchanges indicated this would be a predictably full blooded affair with some firm challenges going in. However Sidley played their football and took the lead on 20 minutes when a free kick from the left led to a scramble in the six yard box with Alan Foster poking home from close range against his former side. 

Sidley doubled their lead on 25 minutes as a great cross from Lee Carey found Baldwin who controlled and finished confidently into the net. Hollington looked most threatening from set pieces but they pulled a goal back when a neat move played Ricky Martin in and he finished high into the net on 35 minutes.

Hollington then had a spell of pressure and could have levelled but instead it was Sidley instead who restored their two goal with a terrific goal in the first minute of stoppage time as full back Louis Walker dipped his shoulder, beat his man and curled the ball into the top corner of the net. 

In the second half Hollington had a couple of chances from set pieces but couldn't find the target although Sidley were grateful to Josh Elliott-Noye for a goal-line clearance after the striker had lifted the ball over Michael Platt. 

As Hollington pushed, Sidley clinically hit them on the counter to wrap up the game on 79 minutes as Baldwin was played clean through on goal and despite the goalkeeper getting a hand to his shot, the ball tricked over the line and into the net. 

Hollington finished the game with 10 men as Callum Smith was sin-binned for dissent as Sidley saw out the game to take a firm grip on the title race. 

Manager John Carey said after the game "It was a great result for us today, the boys worked their socks off. It wasn't the prettiest of games but sometimes it's about rolling up your sleeves and grinding out a result which we did today. 

I'm over the moon for them. Sometimes it pays to have a settled side rather than bringing players in for one game to try and get a result as was proven today. 

We move on to another tough game next week at home to Ringmer AFC. Thank you to all the supporters who came over today, it means a lot to us and we hope to have another good crowd next week because it makes such a difference."

Sidley Team: Platt, Clifford, Walker, Elliott-Noye, Hickman-Smith, Bristow (McEniry), Thompson, Ellis, Foster (Cornford), Carey, Baldwin (Elphick). 

Sidley United 7 - 0 Sedlescombe Rangers - MSFL Premier Division - Saturday 17th October 2020

Sidley United moved to the top of the MSFL Premier Division after a dominant victory over neighbours Sedlescombe Rangers. 

The Blues were on top from the start but found Sedlescombe tricky to overcome in the first half an hour, with a number of half chances going begging. However a great through ball from Charlie Cornford played Sean Baldwin through one on one and he finished emphatically past Alfie Austin in the Sedlescombe goal to give the Blues the lead on 30 minutes. 

And just 4 minutes later the match was effectively killed off when Cornford held off his defender and finished powerfully, high into the net. Before the restart though there as a straight red card for Sedlescombe's Jake Warner for a headbutt on Dom Bristow. 

With the game in their pocket, Sidley showed no mercy in the second half. Bristow added a third on 50 minutes after Alan Foster unselfishly squared for him before Lee Carey got the fourth goal with a dunked, left foot finish on 67 minutes.

With half an eye on the top of the table match against Hollington United next week I'm mind, Sidley turned to the bench but the changes didn't bring about any respite for Sedlescombe as Baldwin got the fifth goal with a neat left foot finish into the corner on 70 minutes. 

With the traffic all one way, the sixth goal came on 78 minutes when Cornford beat the offside trap and unchallenged he lifted a cheeky finish over Austin before Danny Ellis wrapped up the scoring when he headed in a corner on 82 minutes. 

A terrific win for the Blues who moved to the top of the table courtesy of Hollington's defeat ahead of the potentially crunch meeting between the sides next week. The Man of the Match, kindly sponsored by Nigel Whiting, was Sean Baldwin. 

Sidley Team: Platt, Clifford, Walker, Elliott-Noye (McEniry), Hickman-Smith, Bristow (Thompson), Ellis, Foster, Cornford, Carey (Elphick), Baldwin. 

Rotherfield 1 - 2 Sidley United (AET) - Sussex FA Intermediate Cup First Round - Saturday 10th October 2020

A terrific extra time volley from Ash Elphick sent Sidley into Second Round of the Sussex FA Intermediate Cup and a trip to former SCFL rivals Southwick. 

The Blues gave a debut to recent signing Steve Hickman-Smith with Josh Elliott-Noye pushing into midfield. The first half was a tight affair with Sidley shading both the play and the chances whilst the home side looked mainly to use the threat of the pact Baz Ajala on the break. 

On 39 minutes Sidley took the lead as a Rotherfield player tried to shepherd the ball out for a throw on the left hand side and Charlie Cornford robbed him, drove into the penalty area and found the far corner of the net which Sidley took to the break. 

Another competitive half of football followed in which Rotherfield drew level on 56 minutes. Goalkeeper Michael Platt made a good save from a shot from just outside the area but a few moments later he couldn't keep out a very similar effort from Tom Ford. 

Both sides pushed for a winner although there seemed an inevitability of the match going to extra time, despite a very strong late shout for a Sidley penalty which was waved away and a good chance at the far post for Sean Baldwin which went over the bar. 

The first additional period passed with little real activity but on 111 minutes Sidley were back in front. Lee Carey did well on the right and the cross into the middle was met with a hooked volley by Elphick which flew into the top corner. 

There was still time for Platt to make an excellent save to tip a Rotherfield free kick onto the bar before the ball was cleared but Sidley saw out the final moments to book their place in Round Two. 

Sidley Team: Platt, Clifford, Walker, Hickman-Smith, Whybourne (McEniry), Elliott-Noye, Wells (Thompson), Foster, Cornford (Ellis), Carey, Baldwin (Elphick). 

Sidley United 4 - 3 Balcombe - MSFL Premier Division - Saturday 3rd October 2020

A stoppage time goal from Lee Carey earned Sidley United all three points from a topsy-turvy game against a determined Balcombe side. 

Sidley didn't get the start to the match, which was sponsored by Sky Blue Water Solutions that they would have wanted as Balcombe struck the post after 2 minutes to signal their intent before Sidley were forced into an early change when Dom Bristow picked up an injury. 

On 31 minutes Balcombe got the goal they had threatened from the start but just 7 minutes later the Blues levelled when Jason Taylor turned his defender and slotted home. Shortly after this Balcombe had William Howes 'sin binned' for dissent but the sides went into the interval level. 

Sidley began the second half stronger though and took the lead on 51 minutes as a strong run down the right by Alan Foster saw him cross for Taylor to get his second goal. 

The Sidley pressure continued and when Sean Baldwin scored on 73 minutes it looked as if the result was beyond doubt. However the visitors obviously didn't think so and they pulled a goal back on 80 minutes through Howes. 

Balcombe pressed for the equaliser and with 2 minutes to go Blues goalkeeper Michael Platt did well to turn a shot around the post. Unfortunately for Platt though from the resulting corner which was whipped into the near post he could only help the ball into the net. 

Both sides pushed for the winner in the eight minutes of stoppage time but it was Sidley who found it halfway through the added time as Lee Carey executed a delightful lob over the Balcombe goalkeeper to seal the points for the home side.

A pleasing win in the end against a Balcombe side who judging from this performance should soon be moving up the table whilst Sidley move up to second place. Next week the Blues are in cup action as they travel to Rotherfield in the Sussex FA Intermediate Cup. 

Sidley Team: Platt, Clifford, Walker, Elliott-Noye, Whybourne, Bristow (Foster), Wells, Thompson, Taylor (Cornford), Carey, Baldwin (Elphick). 

Ringmer AFC 0 - 3 Sidley United - MSFL Premier Division - Saturday 26th September 2020

Sidley United recorded a first clean sheet of the season with a convincing victory at Ringmer. 

The Blues gave first starts of the season to Rhys Whybourne, Sam Thompson and Jason Taylor and they took the lead after 5 minutes when Dom Bristow was knocked over in the area and Lee Carey stepped up to send the goalkeeper the wrong way from the spot. 

Sidley doubled their lead on 18 minutes when Man of the Match Josh Elliott-Noye met a corner from the right with a crisp first time volley to send the ball back into the opposite corner. 

Ringmer came back into the game and hit the angle of post and bar with a shot from the left of the area before again finding the woodwork in the way as a low shot came back off the post before hitting Sidley goalkeeper Michael Platt and rolling out for a corner. 

In the second half Sidley again played the neater football and Taylor had a good couple of opportunities to extend the lead. Eventually a third goal did arrive on 65 minutes as the ball bobbled around and fell to Rosh Wells who slotted home from 12 yards. 

With the game effectively sealed, Sidley turned to the bench to give Simon Tomlinson a senior debut while Joe Rogers also earned a rare outfield appearance. 

Ringmer must have known it wasn't to be their day when, in the final minute, they hit the underside of the crossbar but Sidley held on for the win and the clean sheet. The Blues are at home next week to Balcombe. 

Sidley Team: Platt, Clifford, Walker, Elliott-Noye, Whybourne, Bristow, Thompson (Tomlinson), Wells, Taylor (Rogers), Carey, Baldwin (Elphick). 

Sidley United 2 - 3 Forest Row - MSFL Premier Division - Saturday 19th September 2020

Sidley United were edged out by Forest Row in yet another crazy encounter between the sides as the Blues finished with 10 men for the second meeting in a row. 

The match, sponsored by Hastings Direct, saw a remarkable start as Elliot Benton fired the visitors into the lead in the first minute with a strike into the top corner from just inside the penalty area. 

However Sidley responded 90 seconds later as Charlie Cornford drove down the left and from the tightest of angles he somehow found the far corner of the net to level. And the drama continued as Sidley went in front after 4 minutes as Sean Baldwin's shot was fumbled by the goalkeeper and Lee Carey was on hand to mop up the rebound. 

The visitors drew level on 22 minutes though as the home side failed to clear their lines and George Holah took full advantage and slotted home from the edge of the area. And the goals continued as Alex Evans' overlapping run saw him finish low past Joe Rogers to put Forest Row back in front on 34 minutes.

The game then took another turn in favour of the visitors as a scuffle saw Alan Foster shown a second yellow card and the Blues were reduced to 10 men for the entirety of the second half. 

In the second period, another flashpoint occurred after 55 minutes. Sidley thought they had levelled but the flag belatedly went up for offside. After consulting with the linesman, the referee pulled the play back to award Sidley a free kick for a foul earlier in the move. 

Both sides created chances to alter the scoreline as Rogers made a good save with his feet to deny Forest Row while Cornford went close with a powerful drive before his stoppage time free kick was deflected and the goalkeeper did well to change direction and keep the ball out. 

A tough match against a side who no doubt will be at the sharp end come the business end of the season. The Sidley Man of the Match was Toby Clifford. TheBlues have another tough match next week as they travel to Ringmer AFC. 

Sidley Team: Rogers, Clifford, Walker, Saunders (Taylor), Elliott-Noye (Ellis), Bristow, Wells (Trickett), Foster, Cornford, Carey, Baldwin. 

Rotherfield 1 - 2 Sidley United - MSFL Premier Division - Saturday 12th September 2020

Sidley United made it two wins from two in the Mid Sussex Premier Division as they came from behind to beat Rotherfield. 

The Blues never quite hit the heights of the previous week but they still enjoyed the majority of the chances in the first half. Dom Bristow fired wide when well placed, the returning Charlie Cornford found the side net on a couple of occasions and Sean Baldwin just failed to make contact with a far post header. 

The home side perhaps had the biggest opportunity though as a cross from the right found striker Baz Ajala unmarked 12 yards out but on the stretch he turned the ball over the bar. 

Just 3 minutes into the second half, Sidley found themselves behind as a through ball saw Ajala break through the defence and he rounded Joe Rogers, who had come out to meet him, before slotting the ball home. 

That goal seemed to stir the Blues who were back level on 55 minutes. Baldwin picked up the ball with his back to goal and he rolled his marker before firing low into the corner of the net from 25 yards. 

The Blues dominated the remainder of the half and they eventually picked their way through again with a quality goal. Bristow came forward and played a lovely one-two before dancing his way into the area and finishing past the home goalkeeper on 70 minutes. 

Sidley may have put the game to bed but Baldwin put wide when through one on one and a terrifically struck effort from subsitute Ash Elphick flew just wide of the far post. However those missed chances mattered little as Sidley saw out a surprising 6 minutes worth of stoppage time to claim all three points. 

Alan Foster (sponsored by Knight Accountants) was named the Sidley Man of the Match. The Blues are at home next Saturday as they welcome Forest Row to Little Common Rec. 

Sidley Team: Rogers, Clifford, Walker, McEniry (Elliott-Noye), Saunders, Bristow, Wells, Foster, Cornford (Elphick), Carey, Baldwin (Trickett). 

Sidley United 3 - 1 Lindfield - MSFL Premier Division - Saturday 5th September 2020

Sidley United got off to a winning start at their new home as they enjoyed an opening day victory over Lindfield at Little Common Rec. 

The match, sponsored by Hastings Direct began with both teams looking dangerous. A good low save from goalkeeper Michael Platt prevented the visitors going in front before Rosh Wells headed wide from close range after a good cross by Alan Foster.

Sidley took the lead on 23 minutes in style as Lee Carey spotted Mike McDonald off his line and lobbed the ball beautifully over the Lindfield goalkeeper and into the net from 35 yards.

And Sidley went into the break two goals to the good as, on 42 minutes, Wells whipped in a delicious free kick from the left which was powerfully headed home by Zac McEniry.

At the start of the second half the Blues rather gifted Lindfield a route back into the game as on 53 minutes the ball was played back to Platt who took a little too long and his clearance was charged down by Aaron Walsh, rebounding off the striker and rolling into the Sidley net.

Sidley dug in as Lindfield searched for the equaliser although neither side could quite get on top with a number of niggly fouls disrupting the flow of the game. It looked as though Sidley would hold on for the narrow win but in the final minute Danny Ellis beat the defender to a loose ball to roll it into the far corner and seal the win.

A good start to life in the Premier Division for a Blues team who did not make a substitution against a side traditionally competing at the top end. The Man of the Match was Lee Carey for his excellent opening goal and his all round link up play.

Sidley Team: Platt, Walker, Clifford, McEniry, Saunders, Bristow, Wells, Ellis, Foster, Carey, Baldwin. 

Sponsor & Advertising

Sidley Team 2022/23

Click on Matchday programme to see all of our Sponsorship & advertising opportunities for 2023/24Join us on Facebook