Reports from Sidley United's seasons in the Sussex County Football League

Season 2005/06


Southwick 1 - 3 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 29th April 2006

Sidley United smashed through the 50 point barrier as they wrapped up their campaign with a win at Southwick on Saturday. 

The Blues were too good for the bottom of the table side and they took a deserved lead on 25 minutes as a good build up involving Keith Miles and Andy Lynch ended with Jordan Wood's first time finish into the bottom corner.

But just before the interval Southwick levelled when a missed header in midfield allowed Stevens to convert a cross into the Sidley box.

The second half started in much the same vein as the first with the Blues firmly on top and they got back in front when Peter Baker was played in by Lynch and he made no mistake. Shortly afterwards Baker grabbed his 31st goal of the season from the penalty spot after a handball by a home defender in the area.

Sidley finished the season in 11th position, narrowly missing out on a top 10 spot by virtue of goal difference. Given the difficulties of the first half of the campaign, they can be pleased with the end result.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, G Morris, L Wood, Rose, Willard, S Morris, Miles, Ward (Ball), J Wood (Henty), A Lynch (Wooller), Baker.

Redhill 4 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 22nd April 2006

Despite dominating the early part of this game, Sidley United ended up coming away comprehensively beaten by Redhill.

The Blues had two early shots from Graham Morris and then Peter Baker cleared off the line despite allowing a number of key players to play for the Reserve side who needed a point to stay up. 

But just before half time Redhill struck twice as Robbie Burns scored after Greg Thurstans, playing in place of the injured Peter Newstead, parried an effort and Burns was on hand to tuck home the rebound. Ollie West scored quickly afterwards to give the hosts a barely deserved half time lead.

Baker halved the deficit after 75 minutes following good work by Paul Henty and Andy Lynch before Baker was kept out by a brilliant piece of defending.

But Redhill, who needed a win to give them hope of avoiding relegation, made sure of the win with two late goals from Steve Gillett and James Dean.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, G Morris, Rose, Steward (Miles), Henty, Watson, Ward (Lusted), J Wood, Baker, Lynch.

Rye & Iden United vs Sidley United - SCFL Divison One - Monday 17th April 2006

Match not played as Rye & Iden United unable to field a side. Walkover win for Sidley United.

Worthing United 2 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 15th April 2006

Sidley United had to settle for a point from the long trip to Worthing United after being on the end of a controversial refereeing decision.

The Blues created enough chances to win the game but came up against a goalkeeper in inspired form. However they did beat him on 38 minutes to take the lead when Graham Morris headed home a free kick but Liam O'Brien levelled with a near post header at a corner a couple of minutes into the second half.

Then there was the game's big talking point. A free kick into the Sidley box was met by O'Brien who diverted the ball into the net but the referee whistled to indicate a handball and awarded Sidley a free kick. However after going over to his linesman, who appeared to say nothing to him, the referee changed his mind and awarded the goal.

Sidley shook off that disappointment to equalise with around 20 minutes to go as Jimmy Watson was fouled in the area, allowing Peter Baker to tuck home the penalty.

The home goalkeeper then made an outstanding save to deny Jimmy Watson before his point blank save kept out Keith Miles' effort and Sidley had to be content to only come away with a solitary point.

Sidley Team: Newstead, G Morris, Rose, L Wood, Willard, Watson, S Morris, J Wood, Ward, Miles, Baker.

Sidley United 0 - 1 Littlehampton Town - SCFL Division One - Saturday 8th April 2006

It was a disappointing end to the home campaign as Sidley United were beaten at home by Littlehampton Town.

The visitors looked the brighter early on without really troubling Peter Newstead in the home goal. The Blues gradually got a foothold in the contest and almost took the lead in spectacular fashion when Peter Baker unleashed a stunning 35 yard half volley which dropped narrowly wide of the target.

Jimmy Watson and Jordan Wood both had efforts blocked while Keith Miles flashed an effort just past the post. 

The second half mainly followed the same course but Littlehampton nicked the win when on the hour mark a quickly taken free kick caught Sidley out down the left hand side and Phil Turner applied the finishing touch.

Sidley threw on Dave Carey as an extra striker in search of the equaliser but failed to create many opportunities; their best coming through Steve Morris' shot on the turn which was wide of the post.

Sidley Team: Newstead, G Morris, Rose, L Wood, Willard, Watson, S Morris (Ball), J Wood (Carey), Ward, Miles, Baker. 

Whitehawk 1 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 4th April 2006

Sidley United picked up their first away draw of the entire season on Tuesday as they claimed a point from the trip to Whitehawk in a dramatic contest.

Three minutes before half time the Blues took the lead as Graham Morris' free kick was glanced into his own net by a home defender.

But they were pegged back in the second half in controversial circumstances. Goalkeeper Peter Newstead brought down Ryan McBride and the referee Darren Eaton blew for the offence before the ball had rolled into the net. Eaton chose to red card Newstead for the offence but allowed the goal to stand rather than award a penalty.

Physio Adie Lusted donned the gloves for the rest of the encounter. Whitehawk themselves then went down to 10 men when one of their players was shown a second yellow card before Kevin Rose made three excellent blocks to deny goalbound shots.

Sidley Team: Newstead, G Morris, L Wood, Rose, Henty, Willard, Watson, J Wood, Miles, Carey (Lusted), S Morris (Miller).

Sidley United 2 - 0 Three Bridges - SCFL Division One - Saturday 1st April 2006

Sidley United continuted their push for a top half finish with another home win, beating Three Bridges thanks to two strikes from Dave Carey.

The visitors played the better football during the opening half hour but some determined defending kept them at bay while goalkeeper Peter Newstead made a fine save from a long range strike by Mo Shuga. At the other end Peter Baker was denied by the body of Bridges' goalkeeper Adam Mansfield and he also hooked another effort over the top at full stretch.

But Sidley made the breakthrough in the 33rd minute as Carey got the better of a couple of defenders to reach Dave Ward's long pass and stroked the ball wide of Mansfield and into the net.

The Blues began the second half on top and Kevin Rose, who was immense alongside Lee Wood and Chris Steward at the heart of the Sidley defence, clipped the top of the crossbar.

Rose was unlucky not to score when he hit the post after 55 minutes from a Baker corner but the rebound fell nicely to Carey who rolled the ball into the opposite corner.

Aside from a Daren Pearce header which flew narrowly wide, Bridges offered little thereafter while Rose, Carey and Jimmy Watson all missed chances to extend the lead.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Steward, L Wood, Rose, Ward, Miles, Watson, Corke, J Wood (Miller), Baker, Carey,. 

Sidley United 3 - 1 East Preston - SCFL Division One - Saturday 25th March 2006

Sidley United bounced back from a poor result at Crowborough with an excellent win at home to East Preston.

However Blues were indebted to goalkeeper Peter Newstead who brilliantly saved a first minute penalty from Josh Biggs. Biggs had beaten Newstead from the spot in the opening game of the season but Newstead came out on top this time, diving low to his left to keep the East Preston forward at bay.

Sidley soon got on top and the impressive Simon Corke put them in front on 18 minutes as he finished off a fine move involving Jimmy Watson and Peter Baker.

Blues went in 2 up at the break as Dave Carey pressurised defender Chris Yelling into slicing the ball into his own net.

The visitors were gifted a lifeline 30 seconds into the second half when Newstead allowed Paul Brown's corner to slither through his hands and trickle over the goalline.

But Blues wrapped up the win when Carey latched onto Corke's through ball and finished past visiting goalkeeper Simon Davey with 7 minutes to go.

Sidley Team: Newstead, G Morris, L Wood, Steward (Henty), J Wood, Willard, Watson, Corke, Ward (Miller), Carey, Baker.

Crowborough Athletic 7 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 21st March 2006

It was a terrible night for Sidley United as they were heavily beaten at Crowborough whilst also suffering a raid on their changing room for the second time this season.

The home side were three up at the break thanks to an own goal from Chas Lister on 22 minutes before former Sidley man Wes Tate struck after 40 minutes. Chris Ransome's goal three minutes later already had Sidley feeling pretty dejected.

But at half time they were to discover that at least four mobile phones, some credit cards and approximately £100 of cash had been taken while the game was ongoing. The second half was delayed by 15 minutes but when the game did resume, it was a pretty flat atmosphere.

The hosts added further goals as Tate who completed his hat-trick by notching in the 54th and 61st minute, while they also scored from a Liam Bull penalty after 83 minutes and Simon Colbran's 90th minute strike.

Crowborough were as accomodating as they could be about the thefts but it was little consolation to the Blues on a night they will want to forget.

Sidley Team: Saunders, G Morris, Steward, Willard, Lister (Miller), Ward, Watson, J Wood (Corke), Miles, Carey, Hole (C Morris). 

Sidley United 2 - 1 Shoreham - SCFL Divison One - Saturday 18th March 2006

Sidley United notched up another win on Saturday to make it 10 wins at home for the season.

They took a third minute lead as Chas Lister nodded home for his first goal of the season via a post but Shoreham were back on level terms two minutes later through Miles Scerri's header.

After that frantic opening, the game settled down and Sidley had the better of the chances but they nearly fell behind in the 41st minute when Peter Newstead pulled off a fine reaction save low to his left to deny Owen Callaghan.

Sidley took a deserved lead though in first half stoppage time as Peter Baker's corner was met by the head of the unmarked Kevin Rose who made no mistake.

The Blues protected their lead well in the second half and although they were subjected to a fair amount of second half pressure, they came through without too many scares while at the other end Dave Carey and Dave Ward both had efforts to double the lead blocked on the line.

Sidley Team: Newstead, G Morris, L Wood, Rose, Lister, Willard, Watson, J Wood, Baker, Carey, S Morris (Ward).

Sidley United 1 - 0 Redhill - SCFL Division One - Saturday 11th March 2006

Sidley United continued their excellent home form despite an underwhelming performance as they saw off Redhill on Saturday.

The Blues' have taken more points on their own turf than any side apart from leaders Ringmer while no one has scored more home goals.

Redhill enjoyed more of the ball in the first half but managed to create just one good opportunity as Josh Smith broke through to be one on one but Sidley goalkeeper Peter Newstead denied him. 

And three minutes later Sidley struck the all important goal as Graham Morris headed home from six yards, sustaining a cut ear in the process, following a well worked free kick.

Although Redhill enjoyed the better possession in the second half, they failed to trouble Sidley and had Enoch Boateng sent off for a second yellow card shortly before the end of the match.

Sidley Team: Newstead, G Morris, L Wood, Rose, Lister, Willard, Watson (Carey), J Wood, Baker, Miles (Steward), S Morris.

Sidley United 1 - 1 Horsham YMCA - SCFL Division One - Saturday 4th March 2006

Sidley United pulled off a creditable draw against last season's champions on Saturday and in the process moved up to 13th place in the table.

Horsham should really have sewn the game up in the first half as Shaheen Sadough squandered a pair of gift wrapped opportunities before Dave Gellatly was denied by a smart reflex save by Blues' goalkeeper Peter Newstead.

In the second period Sidley enjoyed their best spell of the game and then promptly conceded. Glen Woodburn got to the ball just before Newstead to glance home a 59th minute free kick.

However substitute Simon Corke, who came on with 18 minutes to go, struck a loose ball inside the Horsham penalty area into the back of the net to earn Sidley a share of the spoils. Corke may even have won it for the Blues towards the end but his half-hit effort rolled wide.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Steward, L Wood, G Morris, Ward, Willard, Watson, J Wood (Corke), Lister, Carey, S Morris.

Sidley United 1 - 4 Eastbourne Town - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 28th February 2006

Sidley United's good recent run came to a shuddering halt on Tuesday night as Eastbourne Town came away with the victory at Gullivers.

The Blues were missing Owen Ball, Jimmy Watson, Keith Miles and Peter Baker but they didn't help themselves when they conceded two almost identical goals. Free kicks into the Sidley box delivered by former Brighton and Tottenham Hotspur player John Piercy were headed home first by Tom Rowe on 17 minutes and then by Steve Dallaway on 26 minutes.

Sidley changed shape before half time, putting Kevin Rose up front  in an effort to retain the ball in the final third and they may have had a penalty when Rose was bundled over in the area but the referee didn't award the spot kick.

But on the hour mark Piercy grabbed a killer third goal to all put end the contest. Graham Morris pulled a goal back from the penalty spot after Jordan Wood had been sliced down but Eastbourne had the final word three minutes later when Luke Denton applied the finishing touch to a slick move which cut open the Sidley defence.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Steward, Rose, L Wood, G Morris, Willard, Ward, S Morris, Weston (Wooller), J Wood (Miller), Carey (Hole). 

Shoreham 2 - 3 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 25th February 2006

Sidley United finally put an end to their abysmal away form as they came from 2 goals behind to clinch a win at Shoreham.

It had looked like normal service on the road for the Blues as the hosts took the lead after 15 minutes as the unmarked Dan Jordan headed home at the far post. Only a wonder stop by Peter Newstead prevented Blues from going in at the break further behind.

However he could do nothing about Shoreham's second goal 9 minutes into the second half as Chris Hibberd hit a 25 yard screamer past him and into the net.

But Sidley began the great escape as Stuart Weston, making his first start of the season, latched onto a long ball from Craig Willard before beating the last man and lifted the ball over the onrushing goalkeeper after 63 minutes.

Weston was then fouled in the area after 76 minutes and Keith Miles clinically converted the penalty twice, after the first effort was chalked off for encroachment. 

Five minutes after that, Weston drove the ball into the bottom corner after good approach work by Craig Willard and Steve Morris to cap a remarkable second half comeback. 

Sidley Team: Newstead, Rose, Willard, Steward, L Wood, J Wood, Watson, Weston, Carey, Miles (Hole), S Morris.

Sidley United 4 - 0 Ringmer - SCFL Division One - Saturday 18th February 2006

A stunning four goal salvo from Peter Baker downed the league leaders in torrential conditions.

Incredibly, despite pools of water building on the pitch, the referee deemed the game playable and Sidley coped far better with the abysmal conditions.

Baker, Jordan and Lee Wood had all gone close before Baker opened the scoring on 30 minutes, stooping to head home Jimmy Watson's cross.

Ringmer players looked exasperated as they and the management team repeatedly questioned the referee's continuation of the game into the second half.

Ringmer's Julian Curnow was brought down on the edge of the penalty area and a melee ensued as a Sidley defender made off with the ball, chased by an angry Micky O'Callaghan. After all had calmed down the referee appeared to forget where the foul took place and moved the free kick some 10 yards back much to the visitors annoyance. 

Ringmer had more of the play in the second period but it was Blues who struck again as a cross from the left found Baker who finished from close range.

The visitors pressed forward in an attempt to get back into the game but in doing so left themselves short and allowed Baker to complete his hat-trick with a delightful 25 yard chip before he grabbed his fourth with an accurate header at the far post.

Ringmer came closest right at the death as O'Callaghan had an effort tipped over the crossbar but Sidley not only secured a fabulous win but also an impressive clean sheet to go with it.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Whiteman (K Rose), Willard, Ball, L Wood, J Wood, Watson, Ward, Carey, Baker, S Morris. 

Sidley United 4 - 0 Eastbourne United Association - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 14th February 2006

A scintillating second half performance saw Sidley United move out of the drop zone in style.

There was little forewarning of a Sidley goal spree though in a largely forgettable first half.

Peter Newstead had some early saves to make including a double save from former Blues forward Scott McDonald on 18 minutes.

But a tactical switch towards the end of the half transformed Sidley's fortunes. Jordan Wood cut inside and unleashed a 25 yard effort which crashed into the net off the underside of the bar in the opening moments of the second half.

Sidley doubled their lead 7 minutes later as a neat through ball allowed Carey to tuck his finish under the on-rushing goalkeeper. On 74 minutes Carey crossed for Steve Morris to finish first time which the Eastbourne goalkeeper could only palm into the net.

Blues wrapped up the game right at the end as Carey again duped the Eastbourne defence and crossed for Jimmy Watson to head in off the post.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Whiteman, Willard, Ball, L Wood, J Wood, Watson, Ward (Miller), Carey, Miles, S Morris (Weston).

Hassocks 6 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 11th February 2006

It was another poor performance from Sidley United on the road as they slumped to a defeat at Hassocks.

The Blues fell behind after just 3 minutes when Pat Harding dispatched a looping shot half volley past Peter Newstead. Harding then grabbed his second when he raced through to score 8 minutes later before Richard Thomas headed home via the underside of the bar after just 25 minutes.

Sidley looked like they had grabbed a lifeline on 37 minutes when Peter Baker turned and fired in after collecting a pass from Steve Morris but Harding restored the home side's three goal advantage less than a minute later to complete his treble.

Graham Beveridge made it 5 - 1 on 65 minutes and although Dave Carey pulled one back with a delicate lobbed finish, Thomas completed the scoring on 72 minutes to put the seal on a bad night for the Blues as Peter Baker also saw a penalty saved.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Whiteman, Hole (L Wood), Ball, K Rose, Miller (Corke), Willard, Ward, Carey, Baker, S Morris (S Rose).

Sidley United 2 - 0 Chichester City United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 4th February 2006

Sidley United climbed out of the relegation zone with an impressive win thanks to goals from Peter Baker and Graham Morris.

Things didn't start too brightly for the Blues though as they conceded a series of free kicks in dangerous positions but the defence and goalkeeper Peter Newstead stood firm.

Once Sidley found their feet they gradually took command with Dave Ward and Jordan Wood failing to make the most of decent openings. Keith Miles almost scored with a flying header on 37 minutes but the ball cannoned against the post and away to safety.

Sidley did make the breakthrough though in first half stoppage time as Peter Baker took advantage of a ricochet to execute a delightful chip over Chichester goalkeeper Gary Smart.

Baker nearly claimed his second with a cheeky free kick which deceived Smart but his effort came back off the base of the post. But Sidley weren't to be denied a second goal and it came from a corner in the 77th minute when Graham Morris headed home Peter Baker's delivery.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Whiteman, G Morris, Ball, Rose, Lister, Watson, Ward, Wood (Miller), Miles (Carey), Baker.

Sidley United 1 - 2 Westfield - Hastings FA Senior Cup - Tuesday 31st January 2006

Sidley United's dreadful run of form sunk to a new low as they were beaten by a patched up team from a lower division who were missing five regular starters.

Westfield had the better of the opening exchanges with Terry Payne bringing a fine save out of Peter Newstead.

Keith Miles blazed over for Sidley before he gave the Blues the lead, prodding home from a corner. Westfield goalkeeper Gavin Bourne then denied a clean through Dave Carey and Westfield soon got themselves level.

Danny Pepper ghosted past Owen Ball and slipped the ball into the corner of Newstead's net on 32 minutes. And Westfield struck again 4 minutes later when Ball missed a long kick forward by Bourne and Payne nipped in to stroke home.

Sidley did most of the pressing in the second half but were mainly restricted to efforts from distance although Dave Ward did have an effort cleared off the line. 

A very poor result for the Blues who must really pick up and quickly if they are to arrest their alarming run of form.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Whiteman, G Morris, Ball, Rose, Miller (Lister), Ward, Watson, J Wood, Miles, Carey.

Arundel 2 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 28th January 2006

A change of management couldn't bring about a change in fortune as Sidley suffered their 10th defeat in 11 away league games.

Fourth placed Arundel took the lead after 17 minutes when Matt Huckett converted a penalty given for handball.

They had a good shout for a second penalty as a shot appeared to be blocked on the line but the referee waved play on.

Arundel did double their lead on 67 minutes as a shot by Jimmy Smith looked to be going wide, only to nestle in the back of Peter Newstead's goal.

Sidley pushed Rose up from the back to play as a third striker and halved the deficit almost immediately as a good move found Dave Ward who crossed for Rose to head home from 12 yards.

Armed with fresh hope Sidley came close to levelling through Ward's half volley before Baker's late free kick went just wide.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Whiteman, Ball, G Morris, Rose, Miller (Lister), J Wood (S Rose), Ward, Baker, Miles, Carey.

Wick 3 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 21st January 2006

Boss Liam Barham resigned after Sidley were beaten away at Wick and dropped back into the bottom three.

The terrible start for the Blues began when Darren Annis converted after Sidley were cut to ribbons down their left hand side. Their plight was significantly worsened when Owen Ball was shown a straight red card in the 11th minute for foul and abusive language after conceding a free kick. 

Wick doubled their advantage in the 20th minute as Annis squared for Danny Curd to complete a flowing move.

But Sidley won a 43rd minute penalty for handball which Peter Baker converted to give Blues a lifeline.

And Baker hauled Sidley level with a spectacular free kick into the top corner on 73 minutes as Blues looked like getting a valuable away point.

Sidley had a great chance to claim an unlikely win as Dave Ward missed an open goal and they were made to pay for that miss as Tom Manton guided home an 81st minute winner.

Boss Barham resigned in the aftermath of the match after which Keith Miles and Andy Laskey were promoted to joint managers.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Whiteman, G Morris, Ball, Rose, Miller (Carey), Ward, J Wood, Baker, Miles, S Morris (Barham).

Sidley United 6 - 1 Southwick - SCFL Division One - Saturday 14th January 2006

Sidley United moved out of the relegation zone with a comprehensive win at home to bottom of the table Southwick.

Blues took the lead after 11 minutes as Dave Ward took advantage of a defensive mistake to drive an angled shot into the far corner of the net.

Visiting goalkeeper Piers Walsh appeared nervy all game as he first nearly fumbled a Jimmy Watson cross into his own net before some hesitancy allowed Peter Baker to nip in and roll the ball into the empty net from a tight angle.

Baker then nodded home Steve Morris' cross before Keith Miles headed in the Blues fourth goal on 34 minutes.

7 minutes into the second half Dave Ward headed his second goal before Southwick pulled a goal back through Neil Harris' deflected shot.

But Miles grabbed his second goal with the best of the night, volleying home from the edge of the penalty area with 20 minutes remaining before missing a sitter which would have completed his hat-trick late on.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Whiteman, G Morris, Rose (Steward), Ball, Miller (Carey), Ward, Watson (C Morris), Baker, Miles, S Morris.

Whitehawk 1 - 0 Sidley United - John O Hara Cup - Saturday 7th January 2006

Sidley United produced a good performance but ultimately succumbed to a late goal to exit the John O Hara cup.

Chances were limited at both ends and although the Blues didn't create much going forward they did manage to nullify Whitehawk for the most part.

The Blues best chance came with around 15 minutes to go as Graham Morris and Dave Ward had efforts cleared off the line.

But the goal that did the damage came via Wayne Chart's half volley from the edge of the penalty area after Whitehawk had got in down Sidley's right hand side.

A better overall performance but Blues will need to improve their performance levels if they are to pick up more positive results.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Henty, G Morris, Rose, Ball, S Morris, Ward (Hole), Watson, J Wood, Baker, Miles.

Sidley United 0 - 1 Hailsham Town - SCFL Division One - Monday 2nd January 2006

Sidley United slipped into the bottom three after losing the Bank Holiday Monday match to neighbours Hailsham.

The visitors began better, retaining the ball better and generally looking the more likely to make the breakthrough. They came close through Paul Richardson who had a couple of efforts from corners blocked on the goalline.

Sidley gradually came back into the match though and Peter Baker brought a smart save out of visiting goalkeepers Russell Tanner.  

But Hailsham ended the half the stronger and they took the lead on 39 minutes as Simon Stephens placed a sublime shot into the top corner from just inside the penalty area.

In the second half Sidley never really looked like getting the goal back and infact Hailsham went close when Liam Baitup clipped the top of the crossbar.

They had a great chance to wrap up the game as a late penalty was awarded when Peter Newstead clipped Baitup in the area but Richardson struck the inside of the post instead of the back of the net.

However it didn't cost Hailsham as Sidley were unable to grab an equaliser.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Hole, Ward, G Morris, Steward, Ball, Rose, J Wood, Baker (Miles), Carey, S Morris (Thompson).

Sidley United 5 - 3 Rye & Iden United - SCFL Division One - Monday 26th December 2005

Sidley United hit five goals before half time as they picked up a first league win for three months.

In an assertive display, Kevin Rose headed home Peter Baker's corner midway through the first half to give Blues the lead. And just four minutes later an excellently placed looping header from Dave Carey doubles Blues' lead.

However Sidley gifted Rye a way back into the game on 33 minutes as a mix up between Nick Whiteman and Peter Newstead allowed Rye's Nathan Harding to tap into an empty net. 

Newstead made amends minutes later as his long kick forward played Baker in and he headed over on-rushing goalkeeper Harry Killick to put Sidley 3 - 1 up.

Baker then notched his 17th of the season in the 44th minute with a trademark quickly taken free kick before he delivered another corner for Rose to power home in first half stoppage time.

Unsurprisingly some of the intensity was missing in the second half for Sidley although Killick still had to make impressive saves from Baker and Paul Henty. 

Colin Johnstone pulled one back on 68 minutes for Rye with a 25 yard screamer before some sloppy play by Newstead saw Johnstone grab a third in stoppage time. Although the gloss may have been slightly taken off the scoreline, the important thing for the Blues was to return to winning ways.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Whiteman (S Morris), Henty, Rose, Ball, G Morris, Harrison (Hole), Thompson, Ward, Carey (Clarke), Baker.

Sidley United 0 - 3 Wick - SCFL Division One - Saturday 17th December 2005

Liam Barham slammed his Sidley players as a first half horror show consigned them to defeat at home to Wick on Saturday. 

As good as they were last week in the heroic performance against St Blazeby, they were that bad here. There was a reluctance to get stuck in and compete and they seemed to stand off and admire the neat passing football that the opponents demonstrated.

They fell behind after 10 minutes as a right wing cross was diverted onto the crossbar by Peter Newstead and Kane Evans nodded in the rebound from close range.

Time and again the Sidley defence was cut to ribbons as Chris Morrow, Evans and Danny Curd all went close but it was Morrow who doubled the lead when a long throw was flicked on for him to chest and volley home.

A wicked deflection off Nick Whiteman from Curd's 40th minute strike put Wick 3 up before half time and the game was effectively over.

Whilst never threatening a comeback, Sidley at least did show more aggression in the second half but further misery was heaped upon them as Matt Dadswell broke his leg in a stoppage time challenge.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Whiteman, Lister, Steward, Ball, Hole (Rose),Thompson (S Morris), Dadswell, J Wood, Carey, Clarke.

Sidley United 1 - 2 St Blazey - FA Vase Third Round - Saturday 10th December 2005

It was a valiant effort from Sidley United who bravely bowed out of the FA Vase to the South Western League champions.

The visitors possessed a number of players with professional experience and their link up play was outstanding but the underdog tag suited Sidley who battled hard and showed plenty of character throughout.

After 11 minutes Glynn Hooper, once on the books of Ipswich Town, put the visitors in front with a looping header from a free kick with the ball going over Peter Newstead and into the Sidley net.

St Blazey looked like they may run away with it in the first half but Sidley levelled out of the blue as Jordan Wood glanced in Lewis Hole's 44th minute free kick.

After the visitors lost former Plymouth Argyle man Mark Vercesi to injury at half time they didn't look the same side. The second half was far more even and Sidley thought they had taken the lead after 56 minutes when Wood's shot cannoned back off the post and Dave Carey slammed home, only to see the offside flag raised - a decision that those in that part of the pitch could scarcely believe. 

St Blazey came again strongly in the final 20 minutes and Newstead had to make 2 good saves. Sidley felt they should have been awarded an 87th minute penalty for handball but the referee disagreed.

And 2 minutes later Harrington volleyed home to the delight of the visiting fans as the Cornwall side celebrated their progress at the final whistle.

Sidley Team: Newstead, G Morris, Hole, Steward, Ball, Harrison (Wooller), J Wood, Henty, Dadswell (Clarke), Carey, Baker.

Chichester City United 4 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 3rd December 2005

It was another sorry away performance as Sidley United went down to Chichester on Saturday.

Things started poorly for the Blues and it got little better as the game went on. They fell behind after 5 minutes as Rob Wiley, deputising for the injured Peter Newstead, misjudged a cross and Scott Tipper touched the ball over the line.

Tipper doubled the lead 8 minutes before half time as he headed home a Scott Murfin cross while Sidley had a blatant penalty turned down when Peter Baker appeared to be brought down.

Baker did hit the post for Sidley just before half time and Dave Carey also missed a glorious opportunity to haul Sidley back into the game.

But although Wiley prevented Tipper from claiming his hat trick in the second half with some time stops, further goals from Tony Stephens in the 75th minute and Roger Moore in the dying moments out a gloss on the scoreline for the home side.

Sidley Team: Wiley, Ball, Lister, Whiteman, Rose, Steward (Johnson), G Morris, S Morris, Ward (Carey), Baker, Miles (J Wood).

Wick 2 - 2 Sidley United (Wick win 4 - 2 on pens) - SCFA RUR Cup - Saturday 26th November 2005

Sidley United endured an afternoon to forget as they were beaten on penalties in the SCFA cup before coming off to discover their dressing room had been broken into and possessions stolen.

Blues went behind on 38 minutes as Owen Ball turned the ball past Newstead under pressure following a corner which the Blues goalkeeper chose not to come and claim but they drew level 3 minutes later as Dave Ward struck. 

Sidley then went in front on 56 minutes as Peter Baker converted a penalty given for handball. Wick restored parity as Mike Duffell took advantage of some hesitancy among the Sidley defence to drive home a ball over the top. Wick had the chance to win the game in normal time with a late penalty but it was skewed well wide.

However with extra time something of a non event the match went to penalties. And although Newstead saved one, misses by Baker and Ball meant the home side progressed. Worst hit by the changing room break in was manager Liam Barham who had his car keys stolen while a number of players lost small amounts of cash and watches.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Lister (Wooller), Harrison (Clarke), Ball, G Morris, Steward, Barham, Miles, Ward, S Morris (J Wood), Baker.

Sidley United 4 - 2 Erith Town - FA Vase Second Round - Saturday 19th November 2005

Sidley United emulated their efforts from 1998-99 to reach the third round of the FA Vase as they saw off Erith Town thanks to a four goal blitz by Peter Baker.

The visitors took the lead early on as Sam McNally finished from close range after 5 minutes but it wasn't long before Sidley, and Baker especially, came to the fore.

A short back pass on 14 minutes by Chris Holmes allowed the Blues striker in and he side-stepped the onrushing goalkeeper to level.

Sidley then took the lead just before half time as another suicidal pass from Holmes across his 18 yard box teed up Baker who emphatically thumped home.

In the second half Matt Fagan and Richard Usherwood both forced Blues' goalkeeper Peter Newstead into action. 

But Baker completed his hat trick on 76 minutes with a cleanly struck sliding volley. Erith were handed a lifeline 2 minutes from time as the referee deemed Graham Morris' shoulder charge challenge on Usherworth worthy of a penalty and Fagan made no mistake. 

And dramatically they were awarded a free kick in a dangerous area in stoppage time and they chose to send their goalkeeper forward. But as the ball was cleared to Baker he raced forward from his own half to slam home and put Sidley into the final 64.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Ball, Harrison, Steward, Rose, Ward, G Morris, Barham, Baker, Miles, S Morris (J Wood).

Oakwood 1 - 2 Sidley United - John O Hara Cup Second Round - Saturday 12th November 2005

Sidley United enjoyed some rare success on the road as they progressed in the John O Hara Cup with a come from behind victory at Division Two side Oakwood. 

Peter Baker and Steve Morris both came close for the Blues in the opening 45 minutes and Jimmy Watson unselfishly opted to pass three times when shooting may have been a better choice. 

Sidley fell behind though to a Zak Newman strike right on the stroke of half time after a long ball forward was not dealt with by the Blues defence. 

Newman had only just been denied by a brilliant reflex save from Peter Newstead who was back on song after a calamitous performance the previous week. 

After the break the Blues grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and levelled the scores on the hour mark as Dave Ward lashed home a volley after a corner was not fully cleared. 

Substitute Jordan Wood then scored with virtually his first touch to put the Blues in front after a great through ball by Baker on 75 minutes. 

The Blues saw out the game with few alarms and will now travel to Whitehawk in the next round, last year's winners of the competition only to be stripped of the trophy for fielding an ineligible player in the final. 

Sidley Team: Newstead, Ball (Lister), Harrison, White man, Rose, Steward, Watson, S Morris (J Wood), Ward, Miles, Baker. 

Horsham YMCA 5 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 5th November 2005

Sidley goalkeeper Peter Newstead had a nightmare afternoon as Sidley crashes to defeat at Horsham YMCA.

The Blues goalkeeper failed to connect when making a sliding clearance, allowing Kris Trevor to slot into an empty net on 10 minutes. Five minutes later Trevor made it 2 when he headed home a cross that Newstead elected not to come for inside the six yard box.

A third goal arrived just past the half hour mark following a corner which again left question marks over the Blues' keeper as the ball wound up in the back of the net.

Sidley got a lifeline when Dave Ward rounded off a fine move to make it 3 - 1 at the break.

Unfortunately another fresh air kick from Newstead allowed Trevor to make it 4 - 1 just 5 minutes into the second half. The Blues looked threatening with Richard Harrison's deliveries from the left and from one such ball in, Steve Morris lashed the ball home.

But Horsham struck again with a fine solo goal from Matt Duffield to put the seal on their win.

Sidley Team: Newstead, G Morris, Hole (Barham), Whiteman, Ball, S Morris, Watson, Ward, Baker, Miles, Cruttenden (Harrison).

Sidley United 3 - 0 Shoreham - FA Vase First Round - Saturday 29th October 2005

Sidley United's superior finishing proved the difference on Saturday as the progressed into the next round of the FA Vase.

The turning point in the tie came 2 minutes into the second half as Steve Morris' shot on the turn was parried out by Shoreham goalkeeper Ronan Callaghan but Peter Baker was on hand to mop up.

The Blues then seemed content to protect their lead and visiting players Darren Annis, James Davis and Shaheen Sadough all had reasonable sights of the Sidley goal.

But Sidley made the game safe when Baker hit a sumptuous volley on 75 minutes and Keith Miles added the third in the seventh minute of stoppage time after a neat move involving Baker and Jimmy Watson. 

The Blues will face Kent league side Erith Town in the next round.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Henty (J Wood), Hole, Steward (G Morris), Rose, S Morris (Barham), Watson, Ward, Baker, Miles, Cruttenden. 

Sidley United 0 - 2 Whitehawk - SCFL Division One - Saturday 22nd October 2005

Sidley United's unbeaten home run came to an end thanks to two second half goals and a massively frustrating decision on Saturday.

Whitehawk were the more dominant side without ever really troubling Peter Newstead in the home goal.

However they did more than Sidley who failed to test the visiting goalkeeper Michael Hunter into a single save all afternoon.

But they could feel extremely aggrieved at the manner of the opening goal on 50 minutes. The referee, who was frankly awful throughout, tried to play an advantage to Sidley when a free kick into their box was flagged offside. But with the ball never properly cleared, a slick interchange saw Graham Martin eventually put the ball into the Sidley net despite a howl of protests.

Nick Whiteman, making his Sidley debut, had a golden chance to equalise but he placed his free header wide of the mark from 6 yards out.

And the visitors put the game beyond reach in the final minute as Andrew Beech headed home a corner.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Ward, Hole, Steward, Whiteman, S Morris (Clarke), Watson, J Wood (Wooller), Baker, Miles, Cruttenden (Harrison).

Littlehampton Town 4 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 15th October 2005

Sidley United slumped to their heaviest defeat of the season at Littlehampton on Saturday.

The Blues dropped Kevin Rose as a punishment for him collecting nine yellow cards already but they perhaps regretted that decision after they went behind after just 4 minutes as Peter Brackley fired a shot into the top corner from the far right side of the penalty area.

A crucial second goal arrived on the stroke of half time through Steve Davis and the home side were rarely troubled thereafter. 

On the hour mark Ben Torode slotted home the third before Kamara rounded off the scoring 8 minutes from time as Sidley failed to ever test the home goalkeeper.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Lister, Hole (Harrison), G Morris, Steward, J Wood, Watson, Clarke, Miles, S Morris (Rose), Wooller (Barham).

Hailsham Town 2 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 11th October 2005

It was a poor performance to match the result as Sidley slipped to defeat to 10 man Hailsham.

Blues were behind as early as the second minute when a weak clearance by Callum Wooller went straight to Stuart Lewis who left Peter Newstead transfixed with a stunning 25 yard volley.

The home side doubled their lead when Sidley gave the ball away and Peter Cooper cut inside Graham Morris and slotted past Newstead.

In first half stoppage time Hailsham goalkeeper Russell Tanner was shown a straight red card for bringing down Joe McCarthy outside the area and Hailsham midfielder Paul Richardson took over the gloves for the rest of the match.

And Richardson made impressive stops from Chas Lister and Keith Miles as Sidley struggled to make headway against the hosts.

It took until the 88th minute for Blues to score as Peter Baker's free kick was tipped onto the post and Keith Miles turned home the rebound.

And although they nearly snatched an equaliser deep into stoppage time, it would have been scarcely deserved and Sidley will need to dramatically improve their performance levels if they are to return to winning ways.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Henty, Lister, G Morris, Rose, J Wood (Miles), Steward, Watson, Baker, McCarthy (Clarke), Wooller (Hole).

Three Bridges 3 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 8th October 2005

A second half collapse saw Sidley consigned to a first defeat in 6 matches on Saturday.

Sidley gave a start to on loan Hastings player Dominic Cruttenden and they got off to a great start as Peter Baker dispatched a quickly taken free kick on 37 minutes.

The home side almost levelled before the break but Pat Dunning saw his shot saved by Blues' goalkeeper Peter Newstead before Steve Causon volleyed against the underside of the crossbar. 

However a minute into the second half Bridges did draw level as Dunning's cutback was converted by Pat Massaro.

The impressive Mark Burt then put the home side in front with 20 minutes to go before they added a third as James Rhodes slammed home a rebound in the 89th minute to put the contest beyond Sidley. 

That goal led to the dismissal of player-manager Liam Barham who felt that their was a foul in the build up to the goal and the referee showed him a second yellow card for dissent to compound a disappointing afternoon for the Blues.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Henty, Lister, Rose, G Morris, J Wood, Watson, Barham, McCarthy (Clarke), Baker, Cruttenden. 

U.S Portsmouth 0 - 2 Sidley United - FA Vase Second Qualifying Round - Saturday 1st October 2005

Sidley United progressed to the First Round proper of the FA Vase with a very good win at United Services Portsmouth.

The home side enjoy excellent facilities but their football side failed to match them as Sidley enjoyed a relatively comfortable afternoon.

They got off to a great start, going ahead after just 3 minutes when Callum Wooller played a one-two with Jimmy Watson and after his initial shot hit the underside of the crossbar, he tapped home the rebound to put the Blues in front.

With his confidence up, Wooller was unlucky not to score again 10 minutes later after he skipped past three defenders. Dom Clarke and Steve Morris also went close.

Sidley were still the better side in the second half but needed the cushion of a second goal and it arrived with quarter of an hour remaining as Jordan Wood raced past a couple of defenders and slotted past the goalkeeper for a glorious goal.

Lewis Hole almost added a third but was denied by a fine save but it mattered little as Sidley comfortably saw out the match to set up a tie against Shoreham. 

Sidley Team: Newstead, Henty, Lister, Rose, G Morris, Wooller, J Wood, Watson, Steward, S Morris (Hole), Clarke.

Eastbourne United Association 0 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 27th September 2005

Dominic Clarke again popped up with a vital late goal as Sidley United moved into the top eight after this late win at Eastbourne United. 

Chas Lister blazed over early on with only Eastbourne goalkeeper Mark Oldroyd to beat before Blues' rookie goalkeeper Jon Saunders made a smart save to deny ex-blue Scott McDonald.

In the second half a bobbly pitch and windy conditions made it difficult for both sides. But Sidley found the winner as Clarke rose to glance home Jordan Wood's cross five minutes from time.

Sidley Team: Saunders, Henty, Finch (Wooller), G Morris, K Rose, Steward, Watson, J Wood, McCarthy (S Morris), Lister, Baker (Clarke).

Sidley United 3 - 2 Worthing United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 24th September 2005

Sidley United snatched a somewhat undeserved win on Saturday courtesy of Dominic Clarke's stoppage time winner. 

Worthing struck in the 37th minute as Danny Aguilera netted. Into the second half, Jordan Wood briefly levelled for the Blues with a far post header on 67 minutes before Peter Baker had a volley brilliantly saved.

But when Aguilera resorted Worthing's lead on 72 minutes with an almost identical strike, Sidley looked a long way from winning the match.

But a change of shape to a three pronged attack got them out of jail as first Graham Morris finished a near post corner routine on 84 minutes to draw them level.

And Clarke broke the visitors' hearts as he slotted home Jimmy Watson's pass in the dying moments to clinch the win. 

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Lister, Finch (McCarthy), G Morris, Steward, Barham (S Rose), Watson, J Wood, K Rose, Wooller (Clarke), Baker.

Sidley United 2 - 2 Crowborough Athletic - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 20th September 2005

A 90th minute equaliser put a halt to Sidley's 100% home record on Tuesday night.

The Blues almost fell behind at the end of the first half as former Sidley player Nathan Godden headed against the crossbar.

But after surviving that, they then took the lead 3 minutes after the restart when Kevin Rose followed up to score. Dave Adams headed just wide for the visitors before Thurstans did well to keep out an effort which deflected off Chris Steward. However Athletic were gifted an equaliser on 62 minutes when Thurstans scuffed his clearance straight to Liam Bull and the striker made no mistake.

Sidley restored the lead when Callum Wooller expolited hesitation between goalkeeper and defender to put Sidley back in front on 73 minutes.

But in the final minute Craig Bishop diverted in a low free kick to earn a share of the spoils for the second placed visitors. And it could have been worse as Thurstans brilliantly tipped Adams' drive onto the face of the crossbar in the last of nearly 12 minutes of stoppage time.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Henty (Woods), Finch, G Morris, Steward, Barham, Watson, J Wood, Rose, Baker (Wooller), Lister.

Sidley United 4 - 2 Hassocks - SCFL Division One - Saturday 17th September 2005

Sidley United picked up an impressive win on Saturday.

It was a pretty even start until Blues took the lead on 14 minutes as Peter Baker's cross was headed home by Kevin Rose from close range.

Rose then had a great chance to grab a second before Hassocks had a strong penalty appeal for handball by Callum Wooler waved away. Peter Newstead, making his first appearance since the opening game of the season due to injury, made four fine saves to keep Hassocks at bay.

Sidley then won a penalty on 51 minutes when Rose was tripped in the area by Stuart Faith and Baker confidently slotted home the penalty. 

Sidley went three up in almost identical circumstances as Rose was again brought down in the area by Ashley Marsh and Baker sent the goalkeeper the wrong way from 12 yards.

Hassocks pulled a goal back on 69 minutes as a corner ricocheted off Matt Simpson and into the Sidley net. But Joe McCarthy headed home Liam Barham's cross at the back post to re-establish the Blues three goal lead.

Pat Harding reduced the arrears again as he rounded Newstead and scored from the tightest of angles on 73 minutes. But it was Sidley's day and they saw out the game to take home the points.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Henty, Finch (Smith), Steward, G Morris, J Wood (Wooller), Watson, Barham, Baker, Rose, Woods (McCarthy).

Eastbourne Town 5 - 2 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Wednesday 14th September 2005

Liam Barham slammed his Blues side as a promising 2 - 1 lead turned into a heavy defeat as a nervy defence capitulated at will in the second half.

Blues took the lead after 8 minutes as Dominic Clarke was fouled in the area and Peter Baker rolled home the penalty. Eastbourne hit back though when Gary Brockwell headed home two minutes later.

Sidley retook the lead on 24 minutes as Dan Woods wriggled through a couple of challenges and fired in a shot which took a heavy deflection off Town defender Luke Denton on it's way into the net.

Again the home side levelled when a quickly taken free kick was headed across goal with the final touch appearing to come from Kevin Rose. And Town then took the lead just before the interval as the Blues defence failed to deal with a low ball in and Danny Andrews fired home at the far post.

The second half was one way traffic with Greg Thurstans denying Steve Dallaway and Mark Goodwin to keep Sidley in the game. However Peter Baker did miss a great opportunity but his lobbed effort was just too high.

And in the last 10 minutes Goodwin made sure of the points with a fine individual effort before Andrews headed in a fifth after Thurstans spilled a high ball.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Henty, Steward, Ball (Finch), Rose, Woods, Watson, Barham, J Wood (Wooller), Baker, Clarke (McCarthy).

Sidley United 2 - 0 Arundel - SCFL Division One - Saturday 10th September 2005

Sidley United picked up their first league win of the season as they dispatched Arundel on Saturday.

Although the game was competitive in the first half, it lacked any real incident. The first moment of note came after 18 minutes when Miles Scerri burst clear of the Sidley defence and his shot was blocked by the arm of Greg Thurstans outside the penalty area although the referee deemed it more ball to hand than intentional and failed to award a free kick.

Dominic Clarke headed just over for Sidley before Jimmy Watson did find the net with a cultured lefr footed lob over Ben O'Connor in the Arundel goal and into the net on 37 minutes.

Graham Morris cleared off the line and Thurstans made a smart diving save to keep out an effort from distance as Arundel started the second half brightly. But their momentum quickly fizzled out and Sidley made the game safe when Morris converted a penalty after O'Connor had brought down the lively Dan Woods for a Sidley penalty seven minutes from time.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Henty, G Morris, Ball, Steward, J Wood, Watson, Barham (Finch), Rose, Wooller (Woods), Clarke. 

St Francis Rangers 3 - 2 Sidley United - Sussex Senior Cup First Round - Saturday 3rd September 2005

Sidley United exited a second cup contest in a week as two late goals swung this tie and saw them defeated at Division Two side St Francis Rangers.

A forgettable first half gave way to a goal laden second as the home side took the lead as Peter Aylett opened the scoring mid way through the second half.

Sidley responded though with two quick goals which looked to have put them in control of the tie. First Dominic Clarke grabbed his first Sidley goal when he converted Jimmy Watson's flicked header in the 73rd minute before Graham Morris gave the Blues the lead 3 minutes later.

But Sidley conceded their fifth penalty of the season already in the 85th minute when Kevin Rose fouled a home player and Phil Gault stepped up to draw St Francis level before Aylett won it in stoppage time to dump Sidley out of the cup.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Henty, G Morris, Ball, Rose, Watson, Wooller, Barham, McCarthy (Woods), Clarke, J Wood.

Deal Town 2 - 1 Sidley United - FA Cup Replay - Tuesday 30th August 2005

It was another late goal which did for Sidley on Tuesday as they bowed out of the FA Cup.

Deal looked the better side in the first half and deservedly took an 18th minute lead when Mark Pollard nipped in front of Greg Thurstans to head home a corner. 

Dominic Clarke, making his first start for Sidley, saw a goalbound effort blocked by a home defender in what was Sidley's best moment of the first half.

But after the break the visitors took control of the game and dominated the half, drawing level in the 59th minute when Peter Baker struck a shot on the turn from the left of the area which sailed over Deal goalkeeper Rob Lindley and into the back of the net.

There wasn't a great deal between the sides and Sidley were well in the tie but were undone in the 86th minute as Dave Bathgate nodded home after Thurstans had parried Pollard's fierce drive. Sidley exit the cup disappointed but proud of their efforts.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Henty, G Morris, Ball, Rose, Ward, J Wood, Barham, Clarke, Styles (McCarthy), Baker.

Sidley United 1 - 1 Deal Town - FA Cup - Sunday 28th August 2005

Sidley United were denied a place in the first Qualifying Round proper thanks to a contentious last minute penalty. 

Sidley took the lead on 24 minutes as Graham Morris headed home Adam Day's corner. Rob Wiley, making a one off appearance, made some good saves to deny Jamie Marriott for the visitors while Adam Day was twice denied before half time.

The Blues' new look back four kept the Kentish Premier League side at arms length until a controversial final few minutes.

First Sidley player-manager Liam Barham was shown a second yellow card for a late challenge on 89 minutes. From the resulting free kick the referee judged Kevin Rose pushed Mark Pillars in the area and awarded a penalty.

John Utterson converted the spot kick and forced a replay at Deal on Tuesday.

Sidley Team: Wiley, Henry, G Morris, Ball, Rose, Day, Ward, Barham, Baker, J Wood, Styles (McCarthy).

Sidley United 3 - 1 Pagham - FA Cup - Sunday 21st August 2005

Sidley United won their first ever FA Cup tie on Sunday in front of a bumper crowd of over 200. 

The first half presented little in the way of noteworthy chances with Steve Morris going closest for Sidley.

But in the second half Sidley grabbed two quality goals to take charge of the tie. First Keith Miles drove a 25 yard effort which Pagham goalkeeper Byron Kearns could only parry into the path of Peter Baker who followed up to score.

On the hour mark, Baker scored again with an unstoppable volley into the roof of the net after being released by Jordan Wood.

Six minutes later Morris made sure of Sidley's progress into the next round as he met Graham Morris' cross to plant a powerful header into the net.

Pagham got a deserved consolation after Paul Henty conceded a penalty which Brett Forden drove home on 89 minutes but Sidley progressed and will meet Deal Town in the next round in a match to be played at Hailsham Town's Beaconsfield ground on Sunday.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Ball, Day (Wooller), Steward, Rose, G Morris (Henty), Miles, Watson, J Wood, Baker, S Morris (Clarke).

Ringmer 3 - 0 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Tuesday 16th August 2005

Sidley United had a lousy opening week of the season completed after losing to three second half goals at Ringmer.

The damage was self inflicted too as Kevin Rose brought down Dominic Shepherd for a 62nd minute penalty which was dispatched by Clinton Moore.

With 10 minutes left, Moore rolled the ball across goal for Gareth Green to slot home before Shepherd beat Sidley goalkeeper Greg Thurstans to a corner.

Thurstans made a number of good stops prior to that. As an attacking threat, Sidley too often relied on a long ball to the somewhat isolated Peter Baker while Steve Morris efforts were easily kept out by the home goalkeeper.

After two games Sidley sit third bottom of the early table.

Sidley Team: Thurstans, Ball, Steward, G Morris, Rose (Clarke), J Wood, Miles, Watson, Day (Wooller), Baker, S Morris.

East Preston 2 - 1 Sidley United - SCFL Division One - Saturday 13th August 2005

Sidley United were beaten on the opening day of the season thanks to a late penalty at East Preston.

The Blues began brightly and Kevin Rose should have done better with a header from an Adam Day corner before Steve Morris also went close. 

The home side had offered little but went ahead on 18 minutes as the talented Matt Axell finished off a quick break with a rising drive that gave Newstead no chance. 

Sidley levelled on 56 minutes when Peter Baker executed a quick free kick while the East Preston goalkeeper was just organising his wall.

But Blues began retreating and after Axell hit the bar, Sidley finally paid the price as Paul Henty was adjuged to have fouled a home forward in the area on 81 minutes and Josh Biggs stepped up to convert the resulting spot kick.

A disappointing start to the season for the Blues who travel to Ringmer on Tuesday night.

Sidley Team: Newstead, Ball, G Morris, Steward, Rose, Day, Miles (Henty), Watson, Ward (Styles), S Morris (Clarke), Baker.


Sponsor & Advertising

Sidley Team 2022/23

Click on Matchday programme to see all of our Sponsorship & advertising opportunities for 2023/24Join us on Facebook