The 2019/20 season was cancelled in late March 2019 due to the outbreak of the Coronavirus. The league decided to award final positions based on average points per game earned throughout the season up to suspension. As a result Sidley United were awared the Championship title and promotion to the Premier Division. 

Sidley United FC 3 - 4 Forest Row - Sussex FA Intermediate Cup Semi Final - Saturday 14th March 2020

Sidley United's long unbeaten run came to an end as Forest Row won a lively encounter to book their place in the Sussex FA Intermediate Cup Final. 

The visitors began well and won an 11th minute penalty for a foul by Blues goalkeeper Joe Rogers which was converted by George Holah despite Rogers getting a hand to the spot kick. 

Sidley responded and drew level through Sean Baldwin's close range finish on 30 minutes. A flashpoint then erupted when Lee Carey's arm struck a Forest Row player sparking angry confrontations along the touchline with Carey perhaps fortunate to only receive a yellow card. 

The visitors went back in front right at the end of the half as a good move saw a cross from the left turned home by Alistair Holden as Sidley went in at the break behind. 

In the second half Sidley enjoyed the better of the football with Baldwin again involved as the Blues levelled on 59 minutes. His goalbound shot took a deflection off a defender and looped into the net. But on 65 minutes the visitors once again tookthe lead when Matthew Burroughs turned home a corner. 

Sidley dug in and levelled the scores once again through a terrific free kick by Carey from the edge of the area on 69 minutes. In the final minutes the game could have gone either way with Danny Ellis having a good chance to put the Blues in front. 

But in the final minute Gary Hempe was shown a red card for raising his hands in the face of an opponent and Sidley were up against it. With extra time looming, a corner from the right from Tom Underwood evaded everyone and nestled in the net to snatch victory, ending Sidley's unbeaten home run which stretched back to October 2018. 

Sidley ended the game with 9 men as Don Bristow was sin-binned for dissent but the damage was done by then and the visitors saw out the final seconds to book their place in the final. 

Sidley will hope to focus on the league and ensuring that they will get their hands on at least one trophy this season. 

Sidley Team: Rogers, Walker, Hempe, McEniry, Saunders, Bristow, Elphick (Elliott-Noye) Ellis, Carey, Cornford, Baldwin. 

Sidley United 3 - 1 Ridgewood - MSFL Championship - Saturday 22nd February 2020

Sidley United made it 16 wins in a row in all competitions as two late goals saw off a competitive Ridgewood side. 

Playing with strong wind at their backs, Sidley began well and had the majority of the play in the first half with Lee Carey firing into the side netting when well paced and a long range effort from Don Bristow just clearing the crossbar.

But against the run of play the visitors had a glorious chance to take the lead on 14 minutes as a foul by Zac McEniry was deemed to be just inside the area and a penalty was awarded. However Lee Scott's spot kick stuck the post and although he headed the rebound into the net, the goal was disallowed for a double touch.

Sidley continued to press the visitors and managed to get their noses in front with the final kick of the half as Carey's free kick bounced and ended up in the corner of the Ridgewood net. 

In the first 20 minutes of the second half it was almost attack vs defence as Ridgewood were penned back almost in their own penalty area. However the visitors levelled on 68 minutes when on a breakaway Matt Sankey just about kept himself onside and finished past Joe Rogers via the inside of the post. 

Sidley knew time was running out to get a winner but they were not to be denied. On 83 minutes Carey fed substitute Jason Taylor and he finished low past the goalkeeper for his first goal of the season. 

And Carey himself made sure of the win when Charlie Cornford did well to beat his man on the left and his cross was controlled and finished smartly into the bottom corner by Carey on 86 minutes to maintain Sidley's winning streak and extend their grip on the title race. 

Sidley Team: Rogers, Walker, Elliott-Noye, McEniry, Saunders, Bristow, Wells (Taylor), Ellis, Cornford (Elphick), Carey, Baldwin. 

Peacehaven & Telscombe II 1 - 3 Sidley United - MSFL Championship - Saturday 15th February 2020

Goals from Tom Saunders and Danny Ellis helped Sidley United claim an important win at 10 man Peacehaven & Telscombe II as they moved closer to the Championship title. 

It took the visitors just 6 minutes to break through as Saunders rose to head home a free kick from Charlie Cornford. Both teams set out to attack though and goalkeeper Joe Rogers made a good save to keep Sidley in front on 20 minutes. 

The Blues had a glorious chance to double their lead on 35 minutes as the ball fell to Cornford 4 yards but his snap shot went over the bar. Peacehaven's chances of getting back level were dealt a blow on 40 minutes as they went down to 10 men when Nicholas Pollard produced a rash challenge and was shown a second yellow card. 

A goal up and in control, Sidley doubled their lead on 53 minutes as they broke away from a Peacehaven corner and after being tackled Ellis got up quicker than the defender and curled the ball into the net. 

The threatened rain arrived but this failed to affect the Blues who won a penalty on 60 minutes when Ellis was upended in the area. Saunders was the player who stepped forward to slot the spot kick home as Sidley took a firm grip on the match.

In the final 15 minutes Sidley seemed to relax and the home side enjoyed more of the play. Rogers made a great double save to keep Peacehaven at bay but finally the home side did get on the scoresheet with a 20 yard strike from Callum Edwards on 78 minutes. Despite that setback, Sidley saw out the match to make it 15 wins in a row in all competitions and  consolidate their grip on the title race. 

"It was a very good result for us today" said manager John Carey. "The boys worked hard in difficult weather conditions and we played some good football. There are still things we need to work on but it's a big step towards what we want to achieve come the end of the season."

"We are back at home next week against Ridgewood where we have an excellent record and another 3 points there will really help push us closer to achieving back to back titles which would be a terrific achievement."

Sidley Team: Rogers, Walker, Elliott-Noye (Elphick), McEniry, Saunders, Bristow, Wells, Ellis, Carey, Cornford (Taylor), Baldwin. 

Sidley United 4 - 2 Polegate Town - Mowatt Cup Quarter Final - Saturday 8th February 2020

Sidley United's treble ambitions remain in tact after they came from behind to beat Polegate Town to book their place in the Mowatt Cup Semi Final. 

After the club record win last week, this was a much sterner test for Sidley as Polegate sat deep in the first half. Sidley had chances but were unable to find the goal as Sean Baldwin twice came close to giving Blues the lead. 

The break through arrived though just as the clock hit the 45 minute mark as Sidley broke away from a Polegate corner and Charlie Cornford found the net with a low strike after a strong run. 

The second half proved to be far more eventful. First Lee Carey was sin-binned for dissent on 53 minutes and Polegate took advantage to draw level on 59 minutes as. A neat move got them in down Sidley's right hand side and Elliott McWilton finished high past Sidley goalkeeper Joe Rogers. 

The visitors then took a shock lead when a back pass to Rogers was under hit, allowing Joe Lyons to round the Blues goalkeeper and slot home on 66 minutes. 

Up against it, Sidley needed to show real character and courage and they did just that. After changing shape they won a penalty on 80 minutes when Ash Elphick was pushed to the floor and Gary Hempe converted the spot kick despite Polegate goalkeeper Justin Leatham getting a hand to his effort. 

Two minutes later and Sidley were back in front. The ball fell to Danny Ellis outside the area and he found the top corner with a pinpoint curling strike giving Leatham no chance. 

With the game now back in their favour, Sidley won another penalty in the final minute when Baba Sarcouli, already booked when conceding the first penalty, cleaned out Carey with a poor challenge and was shown a second yellow card. Hempe coolly sent Leatham the wrong way to seal Sidley's passage into the Semi Final. 

"We have to give Polegate credit today" said manager John Carey afterwards. "They gave us a real game. We were well off the pace but we showed good character to come from behind which we haven't had to do for a while."

"I am probably a bit harsh on the boys most weeks to be fair but I know how well they can play. To be top of the league and in two cup semi finals - I couldn't ask for much more from them if I'm honest."

Sidley travel to Peacehaven & Telscombe II next week in a key league match. 

Sidley Team: Rogers, Elphick (McCue), Hempe, Walker, Saunders, Elliott-Noye, Wells, Ellis, Carey, Cornford, Baldwin. 

Copthorne II 1 - 12 Sidley United - MSFL Championship - Saturday 1st February 2020

Sidley United returned to the top of the table as they recorded a club record victory, crushing Copthorne II by a 12 - 1 scoreline. 

With regular goalkeeper Joe Rogers unavailable, Sidley gave a debut to Michael Platt but he had little to do as the Blues raced into an early lead. First Lee Carey struck a lofted effort over the home goalkeeper on 9 minutes before Danny Ellis turned home from close range on 13 minutes when Zac McEniry flicked on Charlie Cornford's long throw to him. 

McEniry tapped home the third on 16 minutes before Baldwin stuck on 33 minutes as he met a cross from the right with a first time finish as the Blues went in at the break four goals to the good. 

Copthorne made a triple substitution at half time but it didn't improve their fortunes. Baldwin got his second on 47 minutes when he cut in from the left hand side and finished powerfully and he completed his hat-trick with a simple tap in on 54 minutes after the substitute Copthorne goalkeeper fumbled a cross from the right. 

Sidley were awarded a penalty on 63 minutes as McEniry was pulled in the box at a throw and Hempe confidently made it 7 - 0 from the spot before Dave Chasumba got his first Sidley goal with a first time finish from Cornford's cross from the right on 78 minutes. 

Baldwin got his fourth on 82 minutes with a terrific strike into the top corner of the net from outside the area but the Blues will be disappointed that they conceded as Joshua Allard was allowed to run through unchallenged to score on 85 minutes. 

Carey scored Sidley's tenth with an exquisite lob from 35 yards on 89 minutes before Sidley won two stoppage time penalties which were converted; firstly by Carey for his hat-trick before goalkeeper Platt scored his with the final kick of the game.

"I'm absolutely made up with the boys today" manager John Carey said after the game. I was maybe a bit harsh on them last week but only because I know what they are capable of."

"I've said before we would one day hit double figures and unluckily for Copthorne we did today. But I thought we ran riot today, scoring some great goals and playing some of our best football of the season. We also had 3 players missing today who would normally play but I was really pleased with those who came in."

"If I am being fussy I'd be disappointed to concede but 18 goals in 2 games is fantastic and the lads deserve credit. We go on to the cup next week and with players coming back my job isn't going to be made any easier but I'm fortunate to have such a great group of lads here".

Sidley entertain Polegate Town in the Mowatt Cup Quarter Final next Saturday. 

Sidley Team: Platt, Elphick, Hempe, Walker, McEniry (Funnell), Wells (Chasumba), Bristow, Ellis, Carey, Cornford, Baldwin. 

Sidley United 6 - 1 Nutley - MSFL Championship - Saturday 25th January 2020

Sidley United produced a rather laboured performance but still hit six goals as they saw off basement side Nutley in the Mid Sussex Championship. 

The Blues were 6 - 0 victors in the reverse fixture earlier in the season and took just 5 minutes to open the scoring as Zac McEniry, playing up top instead of his usual centre back role, squared for Charlie Cornford to finish via the underside of the crossbar. 

The second goal came on 16 minutes as Nutley stopped to appeal for an offside and Danny Ellis took advantage to smash the ball home at the near post. Gary Hempe got Sidley's third on 41 minutes with a powerful strike which went straight through the hands of the Nutley goalkeeper. 

Cornford headed home a corner 5 minutes into the second half to make it 4 - 0 but after that Nutley had a couple of good chances as Sidley became very sloppy. Eventually the visitors took one of them as James Leppenwell struck from close range on 75 minutes. 

The result was never truly in doubt but Sidley didn't really get out of first gear. Two goals in stoppage time added gloss to the scoreline as Sean Baldwin finished with a crisp left foot finish before Dom Bristow tapped home Ellis' cutback with virtually the final kick of the game. 

"I thought it was a really low key performance today" said manager John Carey after the game. "We could have stepped it up at least another 20% all over the pitch but it's a good sign that we are winning games even when we don't play well."

"Hopefully next week at Copthorne we can put in a better performance, come away with the three points and keep the momentum we've got at the moment going."

Sidley Team: Rogers, Harley, Hempe, Walker, Saunders, Wells, Bristow, Ellis, Cornford (Chasumba), McEniry, Baldwin. 

Eastbourne Rangers 2 - 7 Sidley United - Sussex FA Intermediate Cup Quarter Final - Saturday 11th January 2020

Sidley United produced a clinical display as they thumped Eastbourne Rangers to move into the Semi Final of the Sussex FA Intermediate Cup. 

On the 3G pitch at Eastbourne Sports Park the Blues put this tie to bed in the first half as they went in at the break 5 goals to the good. First Lee Carey beat the offside trap and finished smartly on 19 minutes before Sean Baldwin capitalised on a weak clearance by the home goalkeeper to roll the ball home on 25 minutes.

A lovely Charlie Cornford made it 3 - 0 on 37 minutes before his long throw was turned into the net by a home defender on 39 minutes. Carey then got his second goal just before the interval as he turned away from his marker and fired low into the corner.

At the start of the second half Danny Ellis got in on the act as he followed up to score from close range but Josh Harris stuck on 49 minutes with a low shot from outside the area to get Rangers on the scoreboard. 

Rangers captain Ben Barnett got the home side a second goal when he broke through to finish on 69 minutes but minutes later he was shown a straight red card for a studs up challenge. 

With the game a little flat given the situation, Sidley saw chances to increase the lead go begging before Ellis got his second on 89 minutes when he controlled the ball in the area, flicked it over his marker and finished from close range to wrap up the scoring. 

"We dominated the game from start to finish in very difficult conditions" said manager John Carey after the game. "I still thought we had another gear we could have got to as it wasn't a perfect performance but it could have been double figures."

"We made a couple of silly mistakes in the second half but overall it was a really good performance. At the moment we are averaging over 4 goals a game and teams are looking at that and are rightly worried. We go back to the league next week and we look to try and continue the run and claim another 3 points."

A terrific win against another Premier Division outfit for the Blues who will be at home to either Forest Row or West Sussex side Nyetimber Pirates in the Semi Final. 

Sidley Team: Rogers, Scrace (Walker), Hempe, McEniry (Elphick), Saunders, Elliott-Noye, Bristow, Ellis, Carey, Cornford (Chasumba), Baldwin. 

Sidley United 4 - 0 Rotherfield - Sussex FA Intermediate Cup Third Round - Saturday 14th December 2019

Sidley United produced some high quality goals as they saw off Premier Division side Rotherfield to book their place in the Quarter Finals of the Sussex FA Intermediate Cup. 

The Blues shaded the opening half an hour as both sides played some neat football without any clear cut opportunities being created. The first flashpoint of the game came when Blues manager John Carey was sent off by referee Peter Lindsey for arguing too excessively. 

However on 40 minutes his brother Lee gave Sidley the lead with an excellent finish after he cut inside and bent the ball into the corner of the net from outside the area after being played in by Rosh Wells. 

Early in the second half Sidley took charge of the tie as Charlie Cornford beat three men on the left and found the net with a low finish via the far post on 50 minutes. Sidley looked to be in control but were grateful to goalkeeper Joe Rogers for a terrific fingertip save to turn a shot from outside the area onto the crossbar.

With time ticking down a Rotherfield player was 'sin binned' for a comment made to the referee and Sidley made use of the temporary man advantage to score another excellent goal. Arron Scrace did well down the right and delivered a terrific cross where Ash Elphick headed home at the far post on 86 minutes. 

The icing on the cake came in stoppage time as Dom Bristow turned the ball in from close range after the away goalkeeper didn't deal with an initial effort.

Another terrific performance and clean sheet against a strong Premier Division side. Sidley will face another Premier Division side as they travel to old friends Eastbourne Rangers in the Quarter Finals. 

Sidley Team: Rogers, Scrace, Hempe (Saunders), Walker, McEniry, Wells, Bristow, Ellis, Cornford (Elphick), Carey (Elliott-Noye), Baldwin. 

Crawley Devils 0 - 5 Sidley United - MSFL Championship - Saturday 7th December 2019

Sidley United produced a five star performance as they won convincingly at high flying Crawley Devils to cement their lead at the top of the table. 

The home side, considered to be one of the Blues' main title rivals prior to kick off, began with some neat passing football but without creating a goal scoring opportunity while Sidley looked to get the ball up to their forwards at the earliest opportunity. 

On 25 minutes the Blues took the lead as a corner was turned into the net by a Devils defender attempting to clear. And the lead was soon doubled as Danny Ellis won the ball from a dithering defender and slid in Charlie Cornford to score on 32 minutes. 

And a confident Sidley had the game all but won by half time as Sean Baldwin beat the offside trap on 41 minutes and ran through to slot beyond the home goalkeeper.

The home side did have the ball in Sidley's net early in the second half but it didn't stand as a long range shot was touched home by a player in a clearly offside position . 

A competitive half saw a number of free kicks awarded to both sides and it was from one of these that Sidley got their fourth goal as Zac McEniry headed home Dom Bristow's delivery on 59 minutes. 

Knowing the game was up, Crawley were thankful to their goalkeeper for making 3 or 4 excellent saves to keep the score down. However he could do nothing to stop Ellis making it 5 as he cheekily back-heeled the ball home on 83 minutes.

A comfortable win in the end and the fourth consecutive match in which the Blues have scored 5 or more goals. Next week they take on Premier Division outfit Rotherfield for a place in the Quarter Finals of the Sussex FA Intermediate Cup. 

Sidley Team: Rogers, Scrace, Hempe, Walker, McEniry, Wells (Westlake), Bristow, Ellis, Carey, Cornford (Jones), Baldwin (Elphick). 

Sdley United 6 - 1 Mile Oak II - MSFL Championship - Saturday 30th November 2019

Charlie Cornford plundered a four goal salvo as Sidley United enjoyed a comfortable afternoon in the Mid Sussex Championship. 

The Blues were 9 - 0 winners when the sides met on the opening day of the season and the floodgates opened early here as a deflection took Cornford through on goal to finish on 11 minutes. 

Playing on the left, Cornford was always a threat and he got his second on 28 minutes after a clever run got him through again and he dinked a lovely finish over the visiting goalkeeper. 

Mile Oak couldn't get past the halfway line and it was no surprise when Cornford completed his hat-trick on 42 minutes as he got through once more and finished well. Sean Baldwin then stuck a left foot finish on 44 minutes to give the Blues a comfortable advantage at the break. 

Just 30 seconds into the second half Cornford rolled home Sidley's fifth goal via the inside of the far post. But as per the previous week with the game effectively over at this stage the second half lacked the same tempo as the first. 

Oak goalkeeper Bako Xhemal made a couple of good saves to deny Cornford and debutant Callum Jones while for the second week in a row Danny Ellis was denied by the woodwork before the pick of the goals was scored by Ash Elphick on 82 minutes after a very clever dummy by Lee Carey played him in on goal and he finished low into the far corner of the net. 

Frustratingly the Blues' clean sheet disappeared on 87 minutes as Luke Mighall hooked home via the post for the visitors but this was a minor disappointment on an otherwise comfortable afternoon as Sidley consolidated their place at the top of the table. 

Next week Sidley travel to third placed Crawley Devils.

Sidley Team: Rogers, Walker, Elliott-Noye, McEniry, Saunders (Jones), Wells (Westlake), Bristow (Elphick), Ellis, Cornford, Carey, Baldwin. 

Sidley United 5 - 1 Hurstpierpoint - Mowatt Cup Second Round - Saturday 23rd November 2019

Sidley United progressed to the Quarter Finals of the Mowatt Cup with a convincing victory at home to league rivals Hurstpierpoint. 

Just as in the league encounter between the sides earlier in the season though it was the visitors who struck first as Sam Hayter was left unmarked to head home a corner on 10 minutes.

But Sidley responded immediately and were level less than a minute later. Good work by Charlie Cornford on the left saw him put the ball in to Lee Carey to tap home. 

The Blues thereafter had the better of the chances but had to wait until the 30th minute to hit the front after a good move down the right saw Sean Baldwin square for Cornford to turn the ball home.

Sidley had a number of chances to extend the lead but with the score 2 - 1 at half time the game was still in the balance. 

However just three minutes into the second half Josh Elliott-Noye headed home a corner from close range to increase Sidley's control and after that it was a case of how many goals the Blues would score. 

Danny Ellis hit the bar after a free-flowing move and Baldwin missed a great chance to score when through one on one. Hurstpierpoint had a couple of corners but the stuffing was finally knocked out of them when a good move down the right saw the ball rolled across for Ash Elphick to tap home on 82 minutes.

The icing on the cake was the fifth goal on 88 minutes as a similar move down the right this time allowed Carey to tap home unmarked in the middle as Sidley ran out convincing winners. 

The Blues will be at home to either Balcombe II or Polegate Town in the Quarter Finals. Next week it is back to league action as they welcome Mile Oak II to Hooe Rec. 

Sidley Team: Rogers, Scrace, Hempe, Walker, Saunders, Elliott-Noye, Wells, Ellis (Westlake), Cornford (Taylor), Carey, Baldwin (Elphick). 

East Dean 1 - 6 Sidley United - Sussex FA Intermediate Cup Second Round - Saturday 9th November 2019

Sidley United made it through to Round Three of the Sussex FA Intermediate Cup with a comfortable victory at West Sussex League side East Dean. 

The Blues began with a high intensity and were soon in control as Sean Baldwin struck in the 6th and 10th minute to give them a 2 - 0 lead. 

However that was all the goals in the first half as East Dean looked to stay in contention. 

The home side looked to have brought themselves back into the tie at the start of the second half as Aaron Hand scored in the 46th minute. But Sidley recovered from that sloppy start and Charlie Cornford grabbed two quick-fire goals on 52 and 55 minutes to effectively end the game as a contest. 

Dom Bristow added a fifth on 63 minutes before Rosh Wells got the sixth goal on 67 minutes. Manager John Carey made a first appearance of the season off the bench as the Blues comfortably saw out the match. 

"We're on a bit of a roll at the moment" said Carey after the game. "I'm a bit disappointed to concede to be honest but it was a good performance from the boys overall."

"We're full of confidence at the moment and we want to keep this run going when we get back to the league next week. I'm made up for them though, it's been another good day for us."

Sidley will be at home either to MSFL Championship rivals Polegate Town or Premier Division side Rotherfield in Round Three. Next week the Blues are back in league action as they travel to Copthorne II looking to cement their place at the top of the table. 

Sidley Team: Rogers, Scrace (Walker), Elliott-Noye (J Carey), McEniry, Saunders, Bristow, Wells, Ellis, Cornford (Elphick), L Carey, Baldwin. 

Sidley United 3 - 0 Ashurst Wood - MSFL Championship - Saturday 26th October 2019

Sidley United made it three consecutive clean sheet victories in the Mid Sussex League as they beat 10 man Ashurst Wood. 

Missing regular goalkeeper Joe Rogers, full back Louis Walker took over the gloves as Sidley sought revenge after the 3 - 1 defeat earlier in the season. 

The opening exchanges were fairly even with Sidley creating the better chances, the best coming when Zac McEniry hit the crossbar with a header from a long Charlie Cornford throw. 

The game turned on 35 minutes when Wood midfield Dan Franks was shown a straight red card for violent conduct against Lee Carey. That served to further strengthen Sidley's control of the match and they took the lead right at the end of the half as McEniry finished from close range. 

The wet and windy conditions made it difficult for both sides in the second half but Sidley adapted better and got a second as Danny Ellis poked home after a good move down the right on 63 minutes. 

The third goal came on 78 minutes as Tom Saunders flicked home a clever free kick routine for his first Sidley goal. Immediately following though Ashurst Wood were awarded a penalty for a push in the area. However Walker was determined to keep his clean sheet and made a great save, diving to his right to parry the spot kick. 

Sidley had a number of chances to extend the scoreline but failed to add any further goals against a physical Ashurst Wood side.

After the match manager John Carey said "It was a good win today in tough conditions against a difficult side to play against. We were the better team from start to finish".

"October has been a great month for us with 3 wins, 12 scored and 0 conceded. I couldn't ask for more from the players; they are getting the rewards for the hard work they are putting in every week."

Next week Sidley travel to their nearest challengers Peacehaven & Telscombe II. 

Sidley Team: Walker, Scrace (Hempe), Elliott-Noye, McEniry, Saunders, Bristow, Wells, Ellis, Cornford (Westlake), Carey (Elphick), Baldwin. 

Ridgewood 0 - 3 Sidley United - MSFL Championship - Saturday 19th October 2019

A brace from Sean Baldwin helped Sidley United inflict a first defeat of the season on Ridgewood as they boosted their own title chances. 

On a heavy pitch Sidley began on the front foot, pressing high up the pitch and pinning Ridgewood in their own half, enjoying more of the pressure. 

Baldwin hadn't scored since the end of August but ended his drought on 35 minutes as he beat the offside trap and slotted the ball through the legs of the Ridgewood goalkeeper. 

Like buses, a second for Baldwin duly followed as just 5 minutes later Charlie Cornford crashed a header against the crossbar and Baldwin reacted quickest, holding off two defenders to roll the ball home. 

Having dominated the first half, Sidley grabbed a third six minutes into the second half as Danny Ellis touched home a free kick by Rosh Wells. 

With the game effectively won, Sidley dug in and defended resolutely as Ridgewood started to string some passes together without ever really looking like mounting a comeback. 

The Blues did temporarily go down to 10 men as Ellis was 'Sin binned' for having too much to say to the referee. However they were determined to hang onto the clean sheet and almost added a fourth towards the end as Ash Elphick shot just wide of the post. 

A comfortable win in the end for Sidley who look for another victory next week and also revenge against the only side to have beaten them this season when they entertain Ashurst Wood. 

Sidley Team: Rogers, Scrace, Davies, McEniry, Elliott-Noye, Bristow, Wells (Elphick), Ellis, Cornford (Walker), Carey, Baldwin. 

Sidley United 2 - 1 St Francis Rangers - SCFA Intermediate Cup First Round - Saturday 12th October 2019

Sidley United are through to the Second Round of the Sussex FA Intermediate Cup thanks to sub Ash Elphick's late goal. 

The Blues started well against their fellow former County League opponents and took an early lead as Charlie Cornford's strike from the edge of the area found the back of the net on 5 minutes. 

But that early goal didn't lead to a one sided half as St Francis dug in and began to make inroads themselves down their right hand side. Despite Sidley having more of the first half chances, the best one fell to the visitors as they struck the post before Sidley scrambled the ball clear. 

A slow start to the second half from the hosts allowed St Francis to take control of the opening minutes after the restart and they soon levelled the scores as a cross from the left was steered home at the back post by Svetozar Popov on 48 minutes. 

The game was very even and both sides played with a good energy. St Francis almost went in front when from close range the ball was poked away from Blues goalkeeper Joe Rogers but came back off the post. 

Sidley continued to look threatening up the other end themselves and they went back in front when a corner was palmed by the goalkeeper straight to Elphick who lashed gome on 88 minutes. 

St Francis pushed forward seeking the goal that would have forced the game into extra time but Sidley defended resolutely and saw out the game to set up a trip to West Sussex in Round Two to face East Dean. 

Sidley Team: Rogers, Scrace (Davies), Hempe, McEniry, Saunders, Elliott-Noye, Wells, Cornford (Elphick), Ellis, Carey, Baldwin. 

Nutley 0 - 6 Sidley United - MSFL Championship - Saturday 5th October 2019

Sidley United cruised to a comfortable win at basement side Nutley as they extended their lead at the top of the Mid Sussex Championship. 

They endured a frustrating opening half an hour though as despite controlling the game they saw chance after chance to open the scoring go begging. 

However they finally broke through on 35 minutes as Zac McEniry headed home a corner and the floodgates then opened. 

Danny Ellis got the final touch on another corner to double the Blues' lead on 42 minutes. Then a foul on Arron Scrace in the area saw Sidley awarded a penalty which was confidently tucked away by Lee Carey on 45 minutes. 

And in the third minute of stoppage time, some good work from Ellis saw him roll the ball across for McEniry to finish from close range. 

The second half followed a similar pattern to the first with Sidley on top but unable to find the net early on until Ellis got his second when he poked in McEniry's goalbound header on 78 minutes. 

And the best goal was saved for last as Ellis won the ball off a defender and thumped a shot into the top corner on 89 minutes to round off the scoring. 

A comfortable win for the Blues and pleasing to record a clean sheet as well. Next week Sidley are in cup action as they welcome St Francis Rangers to Hooe Rec in the Sussex FA Intermediate Cup First Round.

Sidley Team: Rogers, Davies (Elphick), Scrace (Westlake), McEniry, Saunders, Elliott-Noye, Bristow, Wells, Ellis, Carey, Baldwin (Taylor). 

Sidley United 3 - 2 West Hoathly - MSFL Championship - Saturday 28th September 2019

Sidley United remain top of the Mid Sussex Championship after surviving a late comeback attempt as they beat West Hoathly 3 - 2. 

The Blues dominated the first half and after missing a few chances which included hitting the bar they finally took the lead as Charlie Cornford found the bottom corner from inside the penalty area on 20 minutes. 

A curling strike from Rosh Wells from the edge of the penalty area on 30 minutes doubled the home side's lead and they really should have been 3 or 4 ahead by the end of the half. However as the clock ticked into added time the referee missed a clear push on Chris Copley which allowed Hoathly's Dave Juniper to run through and slot past Joe Rogers. 

Incredibly though Sidley still managed to go in at the break two goals ahead as within seconds of the restart Danny Ellis hooked the ball into the top corner with the final kick of the half. 

Kicking into the strong wind in the second half the Blues struggled to control the game as much as in the first although they still had chances to extend the lead which went begging. 

Substitutions from both sides failed to really spark the game into life and although the quality was not as good as the first half it seemed as though Sidley were more likely to score than the visitors. 

Knowing that the wind was against them as the game wore on, the Blues tried to play out from the back but this often put them in danger and from one such poor attempt Mark Buckland caught Rogers well off his line and lobbed him on 85 minutes to bring Hoathly back into the match from almost nowhere. 

And Sidley had to survive a final scare as a corner saw all Hoathly players including the goalkeeper come forward but as the ball sailed over the bar the referee blew the whistle and Sidley claimed all three points. 

Manager John Carey said after the match "we played some lovely stuff in the first half and West Hoathly only got into our half once and we were unfortunate it led to a goal. In the second half we came out well for the first 15 minutes but then we went to sleep."

"Over the course of the game though I thought we were by far the better team and deserved the points. We go onto next week now so hopefully we can get ourselves another 3 points and get a winning run going."

Next week the Blues are on the road as they travel to basement side Nutley looking for another 3 points. 

Sidley Team: Rogers, Walker, Hempe (Davies), McEniry, Copley, Bristow, Wells (Westlake), Ellis, Cornford (Scrace), Carey, Baldwin. 

Sidley United 2 - 2 Peacehaven & Telscombe II - MSFL Championship - Saturday 14th September 2019

A stirring second half comeback earned Sidley United a point as they drew with Peacehaven & Telscombe II. 

The Blues began well and in the early stages looked solid but they fell behind when a smart one-two got Tom Stevenson in on goal and he finished past Joe Rogers to put the visitors in front on 17 minutes. 

And despite playing much better than the previous week it looked as if the Blues might suffer successive defeats as Stevenson struck an excellent free kick to double Peacehaven's lead on 28 minutes.

Sidley had chances to reduce the arrears but Ash Elphick and Tom Saunders were off target as they went in behind at the break to the only two strikes the visitors had at goal. 

But the second half was a totally different affair as Sidley took the game to their opponents and deservedly got a goal back as Arron Scrace beat the onrushing goalkeeper to a ball forward and poked it into the net on 65 minutes. 

Sidley thought they had levelled shortly afterwards when, after some terrific work by Danny Ellis, a ball was half cleared to Dom Bristow whose excellent strike from outside the area found the back of the net but the linesman flagged for an offside in the middle which obstructed the goalkeeper's view much to the frustrations and doubts of the Sidley faithful. 

As Peacehaven sat in to defend, visiting goalkeeper Dane Tasker put in a man of the match performance as he made no less than three very good saves to deny Sidley as time started to run out. 

Undeterred a dominant Sidley kept coming and won a penalty on 85 minutes as Zac McEniry won a header before being clattered by the goalkeeper. The ever reliable from the spot Gary Hempe stepped up to send Tasker the wrong way and level the scores. 

However despite the visitors slowing things down as much as possible, there was little stoppage time added and Sidley ran out of time to find a winning goal that their performance probably deserved. 

Sidley Team: Rogers, Davies (Walker), Scrace, McEniry, Saunders, Elliott-Noye, Bristow, Wells, Elphick (Hempe), Ellis, Baldwin. 

Ashurst Wood 3 - 1 Sidley United - MSFL Championship - Saturday 7th September 2019

Sidley United slipped to a first defeat of the season on a frustrating afternoon in East Grinstead. 

On a less than ideal 3G pitch, the Blues showed promising early signs but soon started giving away cheap free kicks which put them under pressure. 

They fell behind when the referee spotted a push in the area by Josh Elliott-Noye and awarded a penalty which was tucked past Joe Rogers by Chris Clark on 25 minutes. Elliott-Noye was perhaps lucky to then only be shown a yellow card after the referee booked him for elbowing an opponent. 

However Sidley rallied and had chances to get level before they did just that on 36 minutes as Zac McEniry powered home a header from a free kick. The Blues were well on top for the rest of the half but were unable to take one of their chances to get in front. 

Early in the second half Sidley again made a number of chances but fell behind on 55 minutes as a good move down the left ended with a cross into the area where it was headed home by Matthew Scutter.

The third home goal followed on 66 minutes as a blocked clearance saw the ball fall to Eddie Tester and his shot eluded Rogers as it crept under the crossbar. 

Sidley kept pushing forward and changed shape, pushing McEniry up front, but they couldn't find the killer ball and ultimately came away empty handed. 

They will be back at home next week as they welcome Peacehaven & Telscombe II to Hooe Rec. 

Sidley Team: Rogers, Davies (Scrace), Hempe, McEniry, Saunders, Elliott-Noye (Elphick), Wells, Cornford (Dighton), Ellis, Carey, Baldwin. 

Sidley United 4 - 1 Hurstpierpoint - MSFL Championship - Saturday 24th August 2019

Sidley United continued their winning start to life in the Mid Sussex League as they came from behind to beat 10 man Hurstpierpoint.

The Blues started slowly though and fell behind on 6 minutes as a cross from the right was headed into the top corner by Kevin Budge. 

That stirred the Blues into life and they started to get on top with Stef Davies in particular enjoying plenty of space on the right. 

Sidley levelled on 28 minute with a terrific goal as a free flowing move was finished with a thumping volley by Sean Baldwin. And Blues quickly went in front on 32 minutes as Baldwin scored with a powerful near post finish from a tight angle. 

Well on top now the third goal came just 2 minutes later as Lee Carey turned the ball home from close range to put Sidley well in control at half time. 

The game could have taken a different course but Hurstpierpoint struck the post early in the second half instead of the back of the net after a break. But the visitors then went down to 10 men as Nick Chellel was shown a second yellow card for a cynical challenge on Charlie Cornford who was breaking through on goal. 

It didn't take long for Sidley to make the man advantage count as another neat move ended with Don Bristow scoring his first Sidley goal with a strike from just inside the penalty area on 65 minutes. 

Further chances came for the Blues as Hurstpierpoint tired with goalkeeper Gannon making three very good saves and Zac McEniry was perhaps unlucky to be awarded a free kick instead of a penalty after he was fouled but in the end the Blues had to settle for a 4 - 1 scoreline. 

Next up is a trip to Ashurst Wood as Sidley look to continue their winning run in the Championship. 

Sidley Team: Rogers, Davies (Scrace), Hempe, McEniry, Saunders, Elliott-Noye, Bristow, Cornford (Westlake), Ellis, Carey (Ham), Baldwin. 

Mile Oak II 0 - 9 Sidley United - MSFL Championship - Saturday 24th August 2019

A ruthless Sidley United hit the front of the Mid Sussex Football League Championship Division as they crushed Mile Oak Reserves.

After the frustration of the previous weekend when Polegate Town were unable to raise a side, Sidley wasted no time in getting to work here as Lee Carey opened the scoring after 3 minutes and Sidley dominated the play thereafter.

However the first half lent no clues as to the final score as Oak almost levelled, forcing Joe Rogers into a smart stop. After seeing a number of chances go begging, Sidley did double the lead in the 40th minute through Sean Baldwin to give the Blues a commanding half time lead.

And in the second half the floodgates soon opened as Baldwin grabbed the third on 49 minutes before Ash Elphick made it 4 - 0 on 60 minutes.

The home side looked beaten but Sidley were in no mood to take their foot off the pedal and Arron Scrace grabbed the fifth and six on 75 and 83 minutes.

In the final minute of the 90 Baldwin completed his hat-trick but there was still time for Casey Ham to rub salt into the wounds with two stoppage time goals.

"It was a great start to the season" manager John Carey said after the game. "The attitude of the lads was spot on, even at 5 - 0 they wanted more and kept pushing forward when it would have been easy to have sat back."

"I have always said that one day we would knock a side for double figures as we create so many chances in most games. Unfortunately for Mile Oak we took most of ours today. I thought the clean sheet was really well deserved too as the back four were solid all game."

A statement of intent from the Blues who begin the season with their largest win since reforming in 2014. Sidley will take on last season's Division One champions Hurstpierpoint at home next weekend.

Sidley Team: Rogers, Hempe, Walker, McEniry, Saunders, Bristow, Wells (Ham), Ellis (Westlake), Elphick (Scrace), Carey, Baldwin. 

Sidley United vs Polegate Town - MSFL Championship - Saturday 17th August 2019

Match not played as Polegate Town unable to raise a side. Walkover win for Sidley United. 

Sponsor & Advertising

Sidley Team 2022/23

Click on Matchday programme to see all of our Sponsorship & advertising opportunities for 2024/25Join us on Facebook