Latest News

Blues remain perfect with Wadhurst win

(November 14, 2015)

Sidley United 2 - 1 Wadhurst United - ESFL Division One

Sidley United made it 7 wins out of 7 in the league by seeing off basement side Wadhurst United 2 - 1 in poor conditions.

Blues were forced into a change even before kick off as Gary Hempe was unable to shake off a groin injury and so new signing from Bexhill United George Aston, usually a midfielder, had to slot in at left back.

The Blues may have had a perfect record coming into the game but it was Wadhurst who shocked the hosts with an early goal. A neat move was flicked past the Sidley defenders and into the path of Wadhurst striker Lee Bates and he rolled the ball past Rogers to give the visitors the lead on 5 minutes.

Sidley knew they needed to respond quickly and they did just that by equalising on 8 minutes. A good run by Arron Scrace got him into a shooting position and although his effort was parried by the Wadhurst goalkeeper, James Bailey followed it in and rifled home to bring Sidley level.

Blues then began to get on top as the rain continued. They fashioned a few chances from distance but had to wait until the 34th minute to go in front.

A cross into the box looped up in the air and striker Lee Roberts showed great strength to hold off his defender and turn before steering a low shot into the corner of the net and give Sidley a lead at half time.

As conditions worsened with the rain getting heavier, Wadhurst began to be more adventurous and threw an extra player forward but without major effect until the game's big flashpoint.

With a little over 20 minutes to go, an off the ball incident sparked a mass brawl, during which the referee was quick to pick out Wadhurst number 6 Edward Clark as the instigator. The outcome was a red card for Clark for a headbutt on Sidley midfielder John Carey.

With a man advantage, Sidley pressed for a killer third goal to see off the game and the match became quite open as Wadhurst remained forceful in their attempt to restore parity.  

Blues had the clearer chances, with Chris Sanderson creating plenty of opportunities for colleagues but the third goal just wouldn't arrive. 

Indeed going into the last 10 minutes there was a danger that Wadhurst might sneak an equaliser as they threw everybody forward, including the goalkeeper at one corner. However Sidley held firm and clinched the three points to remain top of the pile with a perfect record of 7 wins from 7.

Next up for the Blues is a break from league action as they face AFC Hastings in the Hastings FA Junior Cup.

Sidley Team: Rogers Godden, Aston, Eldridge, Funnell, Carey, Sanderson, Cochrane (Day), Bailey (Corke), Scrace, Roberts.


Click here to return to the News page

Sponsor & Advertising

Sidley Team 2022/23

Click on Matchday programme to see all of our Sponsorship & advertising opportunities for 2024/25Join us on Facebook